HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

If you were the GM of the Canes...

Old
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
1213caniac1630*

vCash: 500
If you were the GM of the Canes...

What trades would you try to make?

Which players would you have drafted (2010)?

Which free agents would you have gone after?

Which contracts would you re-do?

1213caniac1630* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:55 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
1. Try to trade Babchuk/Cole/Samsonov and one or two of our surplus of forward roster players/prospects for a top 4 d-man.

2. Skinner (I wanted him to begin with and defended him here after we took him even though I was really surprised about it). As for non 1st rounders I wanted us to take flyers/give hard look at on Merrill, Weal, Knight, D. Smith, B. Ross, Pulkkinen, Beukeboom, Kuehnhackl, Zucker, Silas to name a few guys taken by other teams. I absolutely didn't want Kabanov but since he fell further and further down the board I would have used one of our mid to late seconds to select him. JR and co. had a pretty good draft though,IMO, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

3. Wouldn't have brought Babchuk and/or Carson back and would have waived Samsonov so I could try to sign Seidenberg, Tallinder, Lydman, Michalek, Martin, Hamhuis or Volchenkov. Obviously since we didn't waive anyone and brought back a few defenders so we didn't have the money for that.

4. I don't have enough time to get into that, LOL

Obviously my key concern would have been to bring in a top 4 guy capable of eating ES/SH minutes which we sorely lack as of now.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Trades: Assuming I'd have taken over before the draft, I'd have made the same moves he did at the draft. Nash for a 2nd is decent value most likely, and definitely would have done the Sanguinetti and Matsumoto trades.

I would have tried to parlay one of our prospects or Babchuk and a lower salary dump (Cole, LaRose, etc) into a Sarich or Wideman type salary dump. Not sure it would have worked but it's what I would have tried to do.

Draft:
Skinner at #7 is definitely a good pick given the teams needs.

Faulk and Alt I would have gone after as well. Isles broke my heart by taking Kabanov 2 picks before us in the 3rd, but I'm OK with Biega. Levi I may have changed into Pulkinen or Donskoi. Shugg works. No major complaints about Stahl or Andersen that late, although I might have gone with Chudinov over either.

Free Agents:
Frolov, I definitely would have done 3 million/1 year, or even 3.5/1 year for him.

Corvo I would have brought back at that price, I'd be crazy not to.

That's it, no other major targets I wanted. Youth movement

Contracts?
No one-way for Harrison at least, that's for sure. Nothing else signed this year that I want to fix. I'd try to lock up Pitkanen NOW though and possibly Jokinen as well.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote