HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings Center Anze Kopitar: A Superstar In The Making?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-13-2010, 06:42 AM
  #1
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,203
vCash: 500
LA Kings Center Anze Kopitar: A Superstar In The Making?

LA Kings Center Anze Kopitar: A Superstar In The Making?

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:23 AM
  #2
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
One of the great talents in the league. I think he is quite underrated around here because of Doughty's amazing play and the fact that he hasn't put up out of this world numbers like some of the other star forwards.

Hopefully one day he will have a comparable talent to play on his line.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
  #3
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,313
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He would already be a household name if he had a consistent winger. He has all the tools to become an elite center in the league and he uses them, just needs someone to take the next step with and hit 90+ points.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:55 AM
  #4
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
I kind of disagree about him needing better line mates. Sure it would help, but when Anze is on top his game he puts up points regardless of who is line mates are.

The elite level players produce no matter whose on the ice with them. Guys like Crosby, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin have put up points with not much help around them. Anze is capable of doing the same. He just needs to maintain his intensity level through out the whole season.

And I think TM overplays him a bit.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
  #5
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,313
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I kind of disagree about him needing better line mates. Sure it would help, but when Anze is on top his game he puts up points regardless of who is line mates are.

The elite level players produce no matter whose on the ice with them. Guys like Crosby, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin have put up points with not much help around them. Anze is capable of doing the same. He just needs to maintain his intensity level through out the whole season.

And I think TM overplays him a bit.
Well, that is the point. He has the skills and abilities that other top centers in the league possess, but they aren't well known because he can't have a 100 point season passing to Justin Williams. If he even had one 30 goal scorer on his wing, everyone would know him because he will be putting up elite points, but he does produce regardless of who is on his wings which is why he is so special and amongst those elite players.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
  #6
I Am Ziggy Palffy
Registered User
 
I Am Ziggy Palffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
a few things are holding anze back from true stardom in the league's eyes: consistent high level perfrmance. you cant lead the leauge in scoring for a month, then disappear for the next month and expect people to believe that you have "arrived." Also, we who watch anze every game appreciate how effective he is as a all around hockey player. but the the rest of the hockey world still fails to see a stand out skill (speed, shot, physical play, etc..) that makes him noticeable above the rest of the scorers out there. lastly, anze lacks the kind of charisma and leadership qualities that appeal to the NA hockey viewer. i think most would take a Mike Richards over Anze now, though Kings fans probably wouldnt that trade.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
  #7
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Well, that is the point. He has the skills and abilities that other top centers in the league possess, but they aren't well known because he can't have a 100 point season passing to Justin Williams. If he even had one 30 goal scorer on his wing, everyone would know him because he will be putting up elite points, but he does produce regardless of who is on his wings which is why he is so special and amongst those elite players.
Great players elevate the game of those around them, not the other way around.

Crosby would still put up 100 points playing with Justin Williams.

The reason Kopitar doesn't put up elite numbers, is because of Kopitar.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
  #8
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
He just turned 23. He is ahead of the curve.

As soon as he elevates and pushes past the many defenders that other teams throw at him, he will be fine.

I wish we could have brought someone in to take the pressure off of him.

Stamkos, Kane, Semin, Malkin, and etc...

Those guys would all have less points if Vinny L., Toews, Hossa, Ovy, Crosby, and co weren't around.

Kopi is truely on his own because he is our only real threat to create on his own. He doesn't have the luxury that other guys have.

It is what really ticks me off about this offseason. You can't rely on roster progression alone. Kopi could have used some help. It didn't even have to be a scoring winger for the top line. Even if it was some help for the 2nd line to take the pressure off the 1st line it would have helped.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
  #9
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Furthermore, there is a 22 point drop off to our 2nd leading scorer and that was a dman. Even if Smyth was healthy all year it still would have been a 20 point drop-off to the next forward.

There are just no other options for us...and the opposition will continue to exploit that discrepancy. He still puts up really good numbers in spite of this.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
  #10
MollerManor
Registered User
 
MollerManor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Great players elevate the game of those around them, not the other way around.

Crosby would still put up 100 points playing with Justin Williams.

The reason Kopitar doesn't put up elite numbers, is because of Kopitar.
I am using an over-the-top example, but if you were to put Ivanans and some other 4th liner like Westgarth on the top line with Kopitar, do you think he would do better, worse, or the same?

I think he would put up better numbers with Williams and Smyth then two random bottom guys.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
  #11
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
I am using an over-the-top example, but if you were to put Ivanans and some other 4th liner like Westgarth on the top line with Kopitar, do you think he would do better, worse, or the same?

I think he would put up better numbers with Williams and Smyth then two random bottom guys.
The answer to your question is obvious.

Kopitar has already proven he's capable of scoring at a 100+ point pace with the line mates he has. The reason he didn't finish the season with 100 points was because he stopped playing aggressively and taking the puck to the net.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:29 PM
  #12
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,313
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The answer to your question is obvious.

Kopitar has already proven he's capable of scoring at a 100+ point pace with the line mates he has. The reason he didn't finish the season with 100 points was because he stopped playing aggressively and taking the puck to the net.
That and he lost his linemates for nearly half the season and was playing with fillers at random. Chemistry may not stop Crosby from scoring 100 points, but it sure does have it's influence regardless.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:53 AM
  #13
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Kopitar is not Crosby. He's not capable of scoring at an elite level through the entire season without nobody close to his skill level. Look at other top centers in the league and compare their offensive support to that of Kopitar. Henrik Sedin has Daniel, Crosby has Malkin (not that he would need him), Backstrom has Ovechkin, Stamkos has St. Louis, Thornton has Heatley/Marleau, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Toews has Kane, Getzlaf has Perry... I guess it comes down to expectations, personally I don't expect Kopitar to hit more than PPG without at least one more forward capable of creating on his own on the team.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:01 AM
  #14
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Kopitar is not Crosby. He's not capable of scoring at an elite level through the entire season without nobody close to his skill level. Look at other top centers in the league and compare their offensive support to that of Kopitar. Henrik Sedin has Daniel, Crosby has Malkin (not that he would need him), Backstrom has Ovechkin, Stamkos has St. Louis, Thornton has Heatley/Marleau, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Toews has Kane, Getzlaf has Perry... I guess it comes down to expectations, personally I don't expect Kopitar to hit more than PPG without at least one more forward capable of creating on his own on the team.
I think he could if he kept up his intensity level.

Kopitar put up 30 points in the first 19 games of last season. That's scoring at a 130 point pace. Of course it's unrealistic to think he could keep up that level of scoring for an entire season, but it's not unrealistic to think that if he could score like that over 19 games, that he could at least score at a 90-100 point pace for an entire season.

And I actually like Kopitar's physical attributes better than Crosby's. But Sidney is much much more aggressive/tenacious over the course of the season than Kopitar.

High intensity Kopitar: One of the best players in the world.
Low intensity Kopitar: Well rounded mediocre centerman & PP specialist.

I think if you put low intensity Kopitar with Kovalchuk for 82 games, Kopitar would still be in the 80 point range. If you put high intensity Kopitar with Kovachuck for 82 games he'd score over 100 points easily. But this brings me back to my original point; the onus is still on Anze.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
  #15
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Kopitar is not Crosby. He's not capable of scoring at an elite level through the entire season without nobody close to his skill level. Look at other top centers in the league and compare their offensive support to that of Kopitar. Henrik Sedin has Daniel, Crosby has Malkin (not that he would need him), Backstrom has Ovechkin, Stamkos has St. Louis, Thornton has Heatley/Marleau, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Toews has Kane, Getzlaf has Perry... I guess it comes down to expectations, personally I don't expect Kopitar to hit more than PPG without at least one more forward capable of creating on his own on the team.
You do realize, most of the time Malkin is the 2nd line center behind Crosby, right? They play together on the powerplay (which is terrible btw) and sometimes late in the game if they're down a goal or two. Other than that, they don't play together. Crosby has been playing most of his time with Guerin, Kunitz, Dupuis and a few other scrubs like Talbot and Kennedy when needed. In my eyes, those wingers are worse than what Kopi is playing with in Williams, Brown, Smyth, etc.

That being said, I believe this year they plan to move Malkin to the wing since he's horrible at faceoffs. We'll see if it's all the time or just some games. It will be interesting to see what they can do together on a consistent basis and if he has any chemistry with new guys like Comrie and rookies like Tangradi. As a Pens fan second (behind the Kings of course), I sure hope Tangradi is the real deal.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
  #16
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
You do realize, most of the time Malkin is the 2nd line center behind Crosby, right? They play together on the powerplay (which is terrible btw) and sometimes late in the game if they're down a goal or two. Other than that, they don't play together. Crosby has been playing most of his time with Guerin, Kunitz, Dupuis and a few other scrubs like Talbot and Kennedy when needed. In my eyes, those wingers are worse than what Kopi is playing with in Williams, Brown, Smyth, etc.
Just read it again, you completely missed the point.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
  #17
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Just read it again, you completely missed the point.
I see your point. We need more skilled players on the team. I was just pointing out, that in your pairings, Crosby doesn't rely on Malkin like a lot of your others listed. Sure Anze might play better if we had a better overall team, due to taking the weight off his shoulders, but like you said, regardless, I think he'll always be around a PPG player.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
  #18
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I see your point. We need more skilled players on the team. I was just pointing out, that in your pairings, Crosby doesn't rely on Malkin like a lot of your others listed. Sure Anze might play better if we had a better overall team, due to taking the weight off his shoulders, but like you said, regardless, I think he'll always be around a PPG player.
I disagree. Malkin DOES benefit GREATLY by not having to face the best dmen and checking forwards of the opposition because they are on Crosby.

If we had some scorers on the 2nd line...they would benefit from Kopi drawing all the attention. If the 2nd line got hot that would draw attention away from Kopi and help him out.

We have no legit threat outside of Kopi. He is pretty much the only guy other teams really have to focus on, and I think it is pretty amazing that he still puts up decent numbers in spite of this.

We could always get lucky and Poni meshes with Kopi. It would allow for Smyth to play on line 2 and have a better rounded top 6.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
  #19
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I disagree. Malkin DOES benefit GREATLY by not having to face the best dmen and checking forwards of the opposition because they are on Crosby.

If we had some scorers on the 2nd line...they would benefit from Kopi drawing all the attention. If the 2nd line got hot that would draw attention away from Kopi and help him out.

We have no legit threat outside of Kopi. He is pretty much the only guy other teams really have to focus on, and I think it is pretty amazing that he still puts up decent numbers in spite of this.

We could always get lucky and Poni meshes with Kopi. It would allow for Smyth to play on line 2 and have a better rounded top 6.
I was assuming Kopi was the Crosby in the scenario and not the Malkin, since he is our #1 center. If Kopi was our Crosby, he would be seeing the top defenders a large portion of the time. With the Pens, Crosby almost never sees defenders other than the 1 and 2. That is, unless he sneaks in a double shift with the 4th line which happens at points.

But again, I agreed with him that Kopi would benefit from another good talent on the team. Like you said, maybe we'll get lucky w/ one of our rookies or Poni.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:20 PM
  #20
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I was assuming Kopi was the Crosby in the scenario and not the Malkin, since he is our #1 center. If Kopi was our Crosby, he would be seeing the top defenders a large portion of the time. With the Pens, Crosby almost never sees defenders other than the 1 and 2. That is, unless he sneaks in a double shift with the 4th line which happens at points.

But again, I agreed with him that Kopi would benefit from another good talent on the team. Like you said, maybe we'll get lucky w/ one of our rookies or Poni.
Right...and if Kopi was our Crosby... a good, scoring 2nd line center would see tons of benefit from it. I just don't think Stoll, or the rest of the line for that matter are getting it done.

There are 3 decent players in place, but it is sorely lacking even a slightly dynamic player. A 1B center would elevate Brown and Parse....just like a very good puck-carrying winger could help Stoll. I think Smyth is more ideal for this line...I just think management is giving Smyth way too much credit for Kopi's increase in points and isn't going to move him off the Kopi line.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:02 AM
  #21
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!
 
philer Bozel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
kopitar is a star. give him ovi and semin on his left at right and you have him at 100 points. the thing L.A. needs is a little more scoring depth. if you guys got kovy i think this team could really compete


i'm a toronto fan but if toronto doesn't win the cup my next team in line is the kings

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:09 AM
  #22
Mats26
Cup Champs
 
Mats26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Kopitar has more points in his first 4 season than any other player in the NHL actively playing. Expect for the big 4 of course (Sid, Kova, Ovie and Malkin). A superstar has already been born.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.