HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Desharnais the next Tampa Bay Lightning?

Old
09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
McTusk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I think it'd be hilarious if he went to Tampa Bay.
Plus 2, as soon as I saw the thread title, well, I don't really have words. The Habs pool at HFBoards could use a little chlorine.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I don't think it'd be funny at all. I go to work with two huge fans of the Habs, that also happen to be francophone, and they'd have a crap-fest to talk about the next day.

My boss would show up with his Bolts baseball cap, my co-worker would log onto his laptop with the Stamkos screensaver.

Dear God, may you have mercy... on us all.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:35 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Will you stop? Nobody even mentionned anything about the concerned player's langage until you did. The guy had a legitimate point.
Again, I apologize. I agree he has a legitimate point, but coming from a poster who's a regular basher of any player with this specific ethnicity, it takes a whole new meaning, and I wanted to point that out.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I think it'd be hilarious if he went to Tampa Bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Agreed. Then we could finally be certain that PG is trolling the mediots.
indeed.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Asamu

I'm pretty sure that this is the second thread dedicated to Desharnais in 3 three weeks. We all remember how White - Desharnais - Trotter were impressive against he Penguins earlier last year and Desharnais was obsviously the most talented player of those three.

My judgment may be biased because he used to play his junior hockey in my hometown and was in fact Captain of the Saguenéens of Chicoutimi for 2 years(maybe 3). He helped some of his teammates to get drafted because they had nice stats while playing with him, talent and size.

All in all, David Desharnais will have his chance in the NHL. He was able to adapt himself in any hockey league and the NHL is definitely his next step. I wish 2-3 minor injuries in the center position for this season.

Last edited by Asamu: 09-16-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:19 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I don't think it'd be funny at all. I go to work with two huge fans of the Habs, that also happen to be francophone, and they'd have a crap-fest to talk about the next day.

My boss would show up with his Bolts baseball cap, my co-worker would log onto his laptop with the Stamkos screensaver.

Dear God, may you have mercy... on us all.
LOL

It may be time to switch jobs.........
just sayin

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Pascal

after his call-up last year I was pretty impressed with his play and said he should be given a real chance... and that eventually he'll probably go somewhere else and be a pretty good 2nd line player. With Plek now re-signing and Eller coming to Mtl.. it looks more and more likely. I've had a hunch about Desharnais.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Seems to have a good heart and work ethic. Maybe he can be the next St Louis and if he is I would prefer it to be here.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:26 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Seems to have a good heart and work ethic. Maybe he can be the next St Louis and if he is I would prefer it to be here.
Unfortunately for him, Desharnais is at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Habs have already too many smaller forwards and are pretty much set at center.

But I am pretty sure he can play in the NHL in a near future... But not for the Habs.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Again, I apologize. I agree he has a legitimate point, but coming from a poster who's a regular basher of any player with this specific ethnicity, it takes a whole new meaning, and I wanted to point that out.
If his name was David Smith i woulda written the same post. You're the one who is just sensitve when a franco player gets critisized. And for the record i have nothing against franco players. I like Lapierre, i like Pouliot and my third favorite player in the league is a franco( Marty St Louis), i think Sam and Simon Gagne(r) Briere( im sure there are others) are great players, Brossard as well so don't gimme that BS that i have something against franco players. You're just too sensitive when a franco is being ciritisized even if it is constructively. My point is valid, many people have complained that we are too small then the same people want Desharnais to have a regular spot on our roster which is totally contradictory. I've seen him play and I think Desharnais is a very talented player, great skill, good vision, perhaps he could make it on another team but for Montreal he is just to small for the roster we already have.

Last edited by Santino: 09-16-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:38 AM
macavoy

If he can't produce on our team at the NHL level, who cares where he goes imo. If Boucher thought that much of him, he could tell Yzerman to trade a 3rd or 4th round pick for him and the trade would probably get done.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Couldn't care less about Maxwell's size, the end-result is that Desharnais plays tougher than him. Yes, it would be important to be bigger, but clearly people knows that there's a difference between big and playing big. But he is a Boucher's favorite, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:32 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
If his name was David Smith i woulda written the same post. You're the one who is just sensitve when a franco player gets critisized. And for the record i have nothing against franco players. I like Lapierre, i like Pouliot and my third favorite player in the league is a franco( Marty St Louis), i think Sam and Simon Gagne(r) Briere( im sure there are others) are great players, Brossard as well so don't gimme that BS that i have something against franco players. You're just too sensitive when a franco is being ciritisized even if it is constructively. My point is valid, many people have complained that we are too small then the same people want Desharnais to have a regular spot on our roster which is totally contradictory. I've seen him play and I think Desharnais is a very talented player, great skill, good vision, perhaps he could make it on another team but for Montreal he is just to small for the roster we already have.
Read the Habs forum rules we're special, you aren't allowed to criticize a francophone player here not even if it's constructively.

Sheesh I mean come on l2 read the rules.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
If he can't produce on our team at the NHL level, who cares where he goes imo. If Boucher thought that much of him, he could tell Yzerman to trade a 3rd or 4th round pick for him and the trade would probably get done.
lol. No one tells SFY what to do.

As for the Montreal exodus into Tampa, I don't really know what to say. Sorry?

I guess it's what happens when you have a new coach, who has limited experience. They go with guys they know.

I can't imagine his network of contacts is nearly as vast as most new NHL coaches.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Couldn't care less about Maxwell's size, the end-result is that Desharnais plays tougher than him. Yes, it would be important to be bigger, but clearly people knows that there's a difference between big and playing big. But he is a Boucher's favorite, so it wouldn't be a surprise.
I wouldn't mind seeing that move,was never a big fan of Maxwell's game.Give Desharnais a chance,not just 1 game...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
My point is valid, many people have complained that we are too small then the same people want Desharnais to have a regular spot on our roster which is totally contradictory. I've seen him play and I think Desharnais is a very talented player, great skill, good vision, perhaps he could make it on another team but for Montreal he is just to small for the roster we already have.
Again, strangely, I'd take Desharnais 5'5'' over Maxwell 6'1'' even if you solely base yourself on physicality. I'm also always looking for bigger guys, more grit etc. CLEARLY, the habs organization isn't about that. Why the heck would you, I or anyone else believe he's too small for the roster we have when it's actually not even a concern for our management? They want intelligence on the ice, speed and talent. Desharnais improved his speed and has everything else going for him. Maxwell while is faster than him, rarely use that speed in a game situation.

So yes, chances are with the way they build their team, Desharnais wouldn't make a Brian Burke type of team. But the Habs one? Not sure how size is that much of a preoccupation. See, we think we're small already no? Yet, they went for Halpern. He's not Desharnais, but he's not exactly compensating for the lack of size. Boyd is at a OK size that doesn't use it that much. Only Eller out of the newcomers fits the profile we all want. In the end, if the organization would feel like us that going for Gionta, Cammy, Gomez, Pleks would require adding much bigger guys to compensate, they would have done it.....not sure that they care. If Desharnais ends up doing what they want and there's an opening, he should be REALLY considered. And I hope he is.

You don't flush a prospect down the toilet for the 6 or 7 years he can give you just because he might be too small for THIS year. You never know how you'll be able to adjust your team the upcoming years.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again, strangely, I'd take Desharnais 5'5'' over Maxwell 6'1'' even if you solely base yourself on physicality. I'm also always looking for bigger guys, more grit etc. CLEARLY, the habs organization isn't about that. Why the heck would you, I or anyone else believe he's too small for the roster we have when it's actually not even a concern for our management? They want intelligence on the ice, speed and talent. Desharnais improved his speed and has everything else going for him. Maxwell while is faster than him, rarely use that speed in a game situation.

So yes, chances are with the way they build their team, Desharnais wouldn't make a Brian Burke type of team. But the Habs one? Not sure how size is that much of a preoccupation. See, we think we're small already no? Yet, they went for Halpern. He's not Desharnais, but he's not exactly compensating for the lack of size. Boyd is at a OK size that doesn't use it that much. Only Eller out of the newcomers fits the profile we all want. In the end, if the organization would feel like us that going for Gionta, Cammy, Gomez, Pleks would require adding much bigger guys to compensate, they would have done it.....not sure that they care. If Desharnais ends up doing what they want and there's an opening, he should be REALLY considered. And I hope he is.

You don't flush a prospect down the toilet for the 6 or 7 years he can give you just because he might be too small for THIS year. You never know how you'll be able to adjust your team the upcoming years.

Good post! i don't disagree with what you're saying. but size aside i still think there are other prospects who would make the team before Desharnais would. Im not doubting his skill/potential but given our situation in the timeline we are in in terms of our current size, center depth, the other talented prospects also waiting to come up, personally i dont see Desharnais getting a full-time roster spot on the Habs. On another team, perhaps, who knows. The reason for my post was just to point out the bias and contradiciton that exist in many fans after constantly hearing that we need size size size but yet Desharnais size is non-issue for them. The only argument of yours i dont understand is your Halpern vs Desharnais...

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
lol. No one tells SFY what to do.

As for the Montreal exodus into Tampa, I don't really know what to say. Sorry?
I think Stevie Y is known for learning from Ken Hollan who is known for keeping a strong management team and listening to people around him. Why would you suggest that Stevie Y is a dictator and only does what he wants because my experience of watching him is that he has taken a page from Holland and surrounded himself with good people when he was making Team Canada for the Olympics, he had a tonne of support at the management level in picking his team there.

I think he's also been very active in surrounding himself in Tampa Bay with a great support staff. So I don't think your giving Stevie Y an accurate description. He's not dumb and will certainly take advice from the people that he's hired.

Also if you read my post, the exodus of people to Tampa doesn't bother me, I said I didn't care where they go. I'm happy for Boucher, I'm glad he's getting experience. I don't want another rookie coach in Montrael. Brisebois also had to go elsewhere to gain experience.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
I'm pretty sure that this is the second thread dedicated to Desharnais in 3 three weeks. We all remember how White - Desharnais - Trotter were impressive against he Penguins earlier last year and Desharnais was obsviously the most talented player of those three.
I couldn't agree more. They were the best line on the ice that night and I've been waiting for an opportunity to see Desharnais in particular get more opportunities. I hope he plays so well at camp that they can't send him down. I have feeling that he's something special, and I'm not one to rave and overvalue the players in the system. Size is an issue but it can be overcome. There are plenty of smaller players that excel in the league.

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Joe Cole

I did not see anything outstanding in his play with the Habs. He lit up the AHL and did nothing for me in the NHL.

Some guys just don't have the juice to make the next step. I think this is the case for Desharnais.

I believe most of the love for this guy stems from the fact that he is a french Quebecer. If he was anything else, including a franco-ontarian, he would not cause any hand wringing.

With the Habs current line up, I do not see him making the team. And 30 teams passed him over in the draft, and as a free agent. Interest in this guy, besides the people with "fleur de lys" glasses, is low.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I did not see anything outstanding in his play with the Habs. He lit up the AHL and did nothing for me in the NHL.

Some guys just don't have the juice to make the next step. I think this is the case for Desharnais.

I believe most of the love for this guy stems from the fact that he is a french Quebecer. If he was anything else, including a franco-ontarian, he would not cause any hand wringing.

With the Habs current line up, I do not see him making the team. And 30 teams passed him over in the draft, and as a free agent. Interest in this guy, besides the people with "fleur de lys" glasses, is low.
He did have a great game with White and Trotter. I don't think he's had a long enough look in the NHL to say he is or isn't going to be an NHLer. I think you'll see him get a few games once injuries hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:18 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesomma View Post
I couldn't agree more. They were the best line on the ice that night and I've been waiting for an opportunity to see Desharnais in particular get more opportunities. I hope he plays so well at camp that they can't send him down. I have feeling that he's something special, and I'm not one to rave and overvalue the players in the system. Size is an issue but it can be overcome. There are plenty of smaller players that excel in the league.
I have to agree, I think he's something special too. Might be because my dad biasedly loves the kid. Not really sure why but he loves the kid thinks he's going to be the next big thing for us, a suprise sleeper hit.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Plus 2, as soon as I saw the thread title, well, I don't really have words. The Habs pool at HFBoards could use a little chlorine.
Yeah, there's something awesome with that title. You mean, Desharnais will be the whole team by himself ? Even Gretzky was never the edmonton oilers.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He did have a great game with White and Trotter. I don't think he's had a long enough look in the NHL to say he is or isn't going to be an NHLer. I think you'll see him get a few games once injuries hit.
Great game? Well, he did not suck, but I would not consider it a great game. But that is what I mean, it was just an ok game. The type of game that an AHL'r has and gets sent down never to be heard of again, but here in MTL, he is actually a conversation.

An example, D'Agostini is far from being an impact player in the NHL (and really not a personal favorite), and in his first games he stood out. So if Desharnais barely did ok in his cup of coffee, that does not bode well for him. Ofcourse, it is not a science, just an impression.

You know what I mean?

On the other hand, if we needed more time to assess his talent, as you said, then why is it such a crime for some folks that he may not get a shot. Those people are convinced he is NHL ready without seeing him play much at all, and definitely what they saw was him not being dominant.

I am just sick to death of people being in love with players, and others reading the back of the jerseys instead of the actual play on the ice.

I have nothing against this player, and if he flat out rocked a game, I would be on his bandwagon, but the truth of it is he was invisible.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Great game? Well, he did not suck, but I would not consider it a great game. But that is what I mean, it was just an ok game. The type of game that an AHL'r has and gets sent down never to be heard of again, but here in MTL, he is actually a conversation.

An example, D'Agostini is far from being an impact player in the NHL (and really not a personal favorite), and in his first games he stood out. So if Desharnais barely did ok in his cup of coffee, that does not bode well for him. Ofcourse, it is not a science, just an impression.

You know what I mean?

On the other hand, if we needed more time to assess his talent, as you said, then why is it such a crime for some folks that he may not get a shot. Those people are convinced he is NHL ready without seeing him play much at all, and definitely what they saw was him not being dominant.

I am just sick to death of people being in love with players, and others reading the back of the jerseys instead of the actual play on the ice.

I have nothing against this player, and if he flat out rocked a game, I would be on his bandwagon, but the truth of it is he was invisible.
I'm definitely not one to cry that we need more Quebecers, I'd rather have Halpern than cybaby Belanger any day of the week.

I don't see him as a big time prosoect, but like a Robidas, I think he's the type of guy that could overcome the size thing and make it, if not here then somewhere else. If he isn't in the NHL in 2 years I predict he bolts for the big bucks of Europe like Metropolit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote