Gionta is the perfect choice - I'm very happy about the pick!
I'm admittedly a harsh critic of Habs management, but one thing they did tremendously well over the past couple of years is stock the team with tons of great character guys. While Gionta is a great pick, I would have been just as happy with guys like Markov, Cammalleri, Gomez, Plekanec, Gill or Gorges as Captain.
Wow, congats to Gionta, it's an honor to be captain of the Canadiens and he will be a proud leader. I think it is the best choice available. Josh Georges is probably too young to fill this role anyway.
Gionta is probably the best choice in terms of experience and dedication. Cam + Markov close runners up, but Gionta has won it all and is an example to live by. (Small, gritty, calm, and CLUTCH AS *******)
I'm more than happy with the pick. We are fortunate to have so many decent options.... admirable players (blue collar types, get your hat on and go to work).
I could think of another team who is stuck with an a-hole that most don't like. He has a movie star girlfriend, a leather jacket, spiked hair, and fancies himself a tough guy. You know the type... the one everyone on your team hates... or will hate.
Me neither, purely based on the way he formed the sentence. I did a double take and then I realized that's how a twitter user would form a sentence about twitter
See if it were me I would've phrased it more like "I'm not much of a twitter user" or "I don't use twitter", but when you say it the way he said it, it almost implies that you use it lmao. "I don't twit "
Gionta has always been my first choice so if this is true I'm happy about it because my other choice would have been no captain. Gionta has the talent level, seems to be very well grounded and has the exemplary work ethic. As for the other choices........
1. Markov: aside from the language barrier I've never heard him really compliment his teammates when he has certainly been in a position to do so. Has not really raised his level of play during the playoffs. A couple of other things have rubbed the wrong way and didn't strike as captain material. And he'll be UFA.
2. Cammalleri: he likes talking to the media - almost too much for me. I can't quite see him having the ability to call out teammates effectively but I don't know why. LOL
3. Gorges: never a consideration for me. Generally speaking captains also possess a very good skill set. Gorges just doesn't meet that requirement. The work ethic is undeniable. But something else bothered about him. I could be wrong but I thought it was reported that he asked "what do I have to do to become captain" or something like that. I just don't think a true leader would have to ask that.
4. Gomez: at some point he'd probably tell the media off which truly wouldn't bother me but it may the organization. LOL
Those are the names I've seen floating around the most I guess.
1. When last year Markov said he would not say no to the capitaincy of the Habs, i think it was a clear indication that he was interested in the gig... you say he is a UFA at the end of the year, let's just hope that he's not pissed of by the fact the team selected Gionta instead of him and that he actually decides to leave for real...
3. Mike Keane say's hi...If he remains a Hab, i believe that Gorges may be a captain down the line...