HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which prospects will surprise us this year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2014, 04:55 AM
  #1
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Which prospects will surprise us this year?

Every year we have at least one, or two or more prospects that nobody outside of Tampa knows prior to the season and even in our eyes is just a "random" prospect. Last year those guys were Paquette, Ikonen and Gudlevskis. The year before it was Johnson, Palat and to a lesser extend Kucherov (who was more of a high talented mystery).

So which guys will it be this year? Or might this be Yzermans first year without such guys?

Here are my bets:
Dominik Masin: Right now he is my next Kucherov, have not heard much of him, but all I hear sounds great. I could see him make quit some noise in the CHL. However he will not be that much of a surprise considering he was a early 2nd rounder

Cristiano DiGiacinto: I hated the pick at the time and now with knowing more than just his stats I love it. He had the same points per 60min rate than the best agitator drafted this season (Lemieux, 31st overall to BUF), which IMO makes him a prime candidate to breakout offensivly with more icetime and better linemates this season.

Nikita Nesterov: I always liked him and I still have faith, eventhough I know many don't expect much from him anymore. He had a rough first season here, but many before him followed up with amazig sophomore seasons.

HM to Luke Witkowski, because I could really see him wearing a Lightning jersey at some point of the season for a few games. Which would pretty much become the same scenario as with Paquette, where everybody from the other teams will ask who the hell this guy is.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 06:42 AM
  #2
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Not sure it will be a huge surprise but I think slater koekkoek will be very good in the ahl year 1. By December tampa may consider bringing him up I think. Really his injuries are the only things that have slowed him down.

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 07:20 AM
  #3
Vermin
ainec
 
Vermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 50
Nesterov for sure, he's flying under radar but I have always liked his game when I have seen he play. He's simply not flashy, big (not small, either, 6'0") and he is also a bit average skater for his size but the guy has a great hockey IQ.

Vermin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 07:41 AM
  #4
robertguess2013
Registered User
 
robertguess2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Every year we have at least one, or two or more prospects that nobody outside of Tampa knows prior to the season and even in our eyes is just a "random" prospect. Last year those guys were Paquette, Ikonen and Gudlevskis. The year before it was Johnson, Palat and to a lesser extend Kucherov (who was more of a high talented mystery).

So which guys will it be this year? Or might this be Yzermans first year without such guys?

Here are my bets:
Dominik Masin: Right now he is my next Kucherov, have not heard much of him, but all I hear sounds great. I could see him make quit some noise in the CHL. However he will not be that much of a surprise considering he was a early 2nd rounder

Cristiano DiGiacinto: I hated the pick at the time and now with knowing more than just his stats I love it. He had the same points per 60min rate than the best agitator drafted this season (Lemieux, 31st overall to BUF), which IMO makes him a prime candidate to breakout offensivly with more icetime and better linemates this season.

Nikita Nesterov: I always liked him and I still have faith, eventhough I know many don't expect much from him anymore. He had a rough first season here, but many before him followed up with amazig sophomore seasons.

HM to Luke Witkowski, because I could really see him wearing a Lightning jersey at some point of the season for a few games. Which would pretty much become the same scenario as with Paquette, where everybody from the other teams will ask who the hell this guy is.
Your question is very very vague? I guess everyone knows first round picks but lower guys ? I am unsure what you mean so I will break down what think some top names and others not soo tops will do or who I think will do something noticeable.

I knew about ikonen and guds before the draft same with kucherov and tyjo and say braydon point seemed our entire fan base knew of him lol

I didnt know anything about palat but had faith in our scouts. Didnt expect him to be what he is but from what read knew he had game and played good defensively so was interesting guy for sure. How he became a leader on ice is most amazing thing. That is the hockey IQ some people just have it others do not

I agree nesterov makes a jump. I am far from even worried on him. He had to learn to play the small ice which he did and by end of year he was vastly better player. Offense will start coming soon.

Who makes the biggest jump drouin. Second hope kucherov but think will be end of season type of a thing when happens.

Yet my money would be on namestnikov. Hes gonna blow up come up and blow up more. Hockey skill and IQ to burn.

Other guys making jumps think wilcox and peca will get good press this year and both have shot at hobey baker.

Also think Ikonen will keep making great strides forward.

Think Braydon point will blow up even higher and get talked about like drouin after the numbers he will put up this year.

Think Tanner Richard will have a monster year and start looking like a legit NHL guy.

Deangelo and slater will just do what they have been doing.

One guy forgot about is SUSTR think he becomes a monster or we start to realize what he will become.

Also have seen people down on GUDAS to that I say whatever. He is still a good number four. Give him 2 more years and he will probably be an excellent 3-4 guy. Good news? We get to play him 5 - 6



WE HAVE DEFENSE FINALLY HAHA


Last edited by robertguess2013: 07-20-2014 at 07:50 AM.
robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
  #5
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Your question is very very vague? I guess everyone knows first round picks but lower guys ? I am unsure what you mean so I will break down what think some top names and others not soo tops will do or who I think will do something noticeable.

I knew about ikonen and guds before the draft same with kucherov and tyjo and say braydon point seemed our entire fan base knew of him lol

I didnt know anything about palat but had faith in our scouts. Didnt expect him to be what he is but from what read knew he had game and played good defensively so was interesting guy for sure. How he became a leader on ice is most amazing thing. That is the hockey IQ some people just have it others do not

I agree nesterov makes a jump. I am far from even worried on him. He had to learn to play the small ice which he did and by end of year he was vastly better player. Offense will start coming soon.

Who makes the biggest jump drouin. Second hope kucherov but think will be end of season type of a thing when happens.

Yet my money would be on namestnikov. Hes gonna blow up come up and blow up more. Hockey skill and IQ to burn.

Other guys making jumps think wilcox and peca will get good press this year and both have shot at hobey baker.

Also think Ikonen will keep making great strides forward.

Think Braydon point will blow up even higher and get talked about like drouin after the numbers he will put up this year.

Think Tanner Richard will have a monster year and start looking like a legit NHL guy.

Deangelo and slater will just do what they have been doing.

One guy forgot about is SUSTR think he becomes a monster or we start to realize what he will become.

Also have seen people down on GUDAS to that I say whatever. He is still a good number four. Give him 2 more years and he will probably be an excellent 3-4 guy. Good news? We get to play him 5 - 6



WE HAVE DEFENSE FINALLY HAHA
Obviously those guys are all looking to have great seasons, however those are the high end prospects. I am talking about the "unknown" guys, that cement themself as legit NHL prospects or at least as very promising players. So I am mostly talking about the later round guys and not really about the obvious highend guys.

And I doubt you will ever hear Brayden Points and Drouins names in the same sentence. Point has talent and I love him, but would he have anything remotly closse to Drouins abilities, he would have at least been a top15 pick.

I doubt we will see Wilcox ever in a Lightning jersey and I can't blame him, I would sign elsewhere as well in his situation. And I doubt Peca comes close to a Hobey Baker, he is not dominant enough offensivly.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
  #6
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,677
vCash: 500
For me I think Brian Hart has a bounce back year and takes a big step in his development. Harvard is going to be a much better team then the previous years and Hart should get plenty of minutes especially on the PP. He shot pot 15-20.

McLoed should have a strong freshman year, BU needs blueline help and with Eichel on the team they should be one of the best in the country.

Dylan Blujus will finally have a big year. Think he starts on the bottom pair but works his way to mid pair by the middle of the season. Play's decent amount of PP time because of his big right handed shot, he'll also get 2nd unit PK time too. Expecting him to be the Carle of the Crunch, play a lot of minutes in all situations and maybe not wow you with stats but play a steady game.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 10:34 AM
  #7
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 3,786
vCash: 500
Hart, Masin, and Witko for me.

In order for Kookoo to surprise me he'd have to pull a Kucherov and play so good the team is forced to make room for him in the NHL.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 10:52 AM
  #8
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Not really a prospect now but if Connolly gets top 6 minutes I think he will do better than almost everyone expects (30-40-70).

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 01:07 PM
  #9
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Not really a prospect now but if Connolly gets top 6 minutes I think he will do better than almost everyone expects (30-40-70).
I will take that bet any day. I expect to see him in another sweater by Jan. 1.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 01:20 PM
  #10
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
My pick is Ikonen. I think he will follow a very Palat-like trend.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 01:20 PM
  #11
DFC
Registered User
 
DFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
I don't know who'll surprise us, but I know who it's gonna be a hell of a lot of fun to follow: DeAngelo. High risk/high reward guy who's probably going to give us some indication on whether SFY was right or wrong to draft him so high by the end of this year.

Drouin's final Q season was important, because he had to prove he could do it without Nate. But I feel like the stakes are even higher with DeAngelo.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 01:29 PM
  #12
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79
 
jayslightning79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Every year we have at least one, or two or more prospects that nobody outside of Tampa knows prior to the season and even in our eyes is just a "random" prospect. Last year those guys were Paquette, Ikonen and Gudlevskis. The year before it was Johnson, Palat and to a lesser extend Kucherov (who was more of a high talented mystery).

So which guys will it be this year? Or might this be Yzermans first year without such guys?

Here are my bets:
Dominik Masin: Right now he is my next Kucherov, have not heard much of him, but all I hear sounds great. I could see him make quit some noise in the CHL. However he will not be that much of a surprise considering he was a early 2nd rounder

Cristiano DiGiacinto: I hated the pick at the time and now with knowing more than just his stats I love it. He had the same points per 60min rate than the best agitator drafted this season (Lemieux, 31st overall to BUF), which IMO makes him a prime candidate to breakout offensivly with more icetime and better linemates this season.

Nikita Nesterov: I always liked him and I still have faith, eventhough I know many don't expect much from him anymore. He had a rough first season here, but many before him followed up with amazig sophomore seasons.

HM to Luke Witkowski, because I could really see him wearing a Lightning jersey at some point of the season for a few games. Which would pretty much become the same scenario as with Paquette, where everybody from the other teams will ask who the hell this guy is.
I think the biggest surprise this will be Joel Vermin and Jeff Costello (if he does sign with TB or AHL deal with SYR).

jayslightning79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
  #13
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,604
vCash: 500
Connolly, Erne, and Dotchin

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 03:45 PM
  #14
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015
 
Mikey 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Going with Blujus here.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:26 PM
  #15
DFC
Registered User
 
DFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Connolly, Erne, and Dotchin
If Connolly has a breakout year a lot of heads will explode.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 10:25 PM
  #16
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower of Yzlam View Post
I will take that bet any day. I expect to see him in another sweater by Jan. 1.
I don't Connolly is 22 years old I can see him being a 55 point 60 point guy. But in the coming years other talent will push him out of tampa.

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:15 AM
  #17
DFC
Registered User
 
DFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1a View Post
I don't Connolly is 22 years old I can see him being a 55 point 60 point guy. But in the coming years other talent will push him out of tampa.
Other talent is not going to push out a 60 point guy.

If Connolly scores 40 points, I'll consider it a pretty big success.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 01:43 AM
  #18
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Other talent is not going to push out a 60 point guy.

If Connolly scores 40 points, I'll consider it a pretty big success.
Agreed. If Connolly puts up 40 points, plays a solid 2 way game, and uses his size effectively, I'll be happy.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
  #19
crunchrulz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central New York
Country: United States
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Connolly has to show up, otherwise he will be in another uniform by January 1st. As a scorer, he has nothing left to prove in the AHL. Mentally, he needs to prove a lot. If he is sent down, he cannot pout like he did last year for several weeks. He needs to swallow his pride, and play his tail off to prove his value to another organization.
As for Witkowski, he may be a bit nervous his first few games but once he realizes where he is, I expect him to surprise a lot of folks. The most surprising part of his game is his leadership from the blueline. He should have been the Crunch Best Defenseman Award winner last year, hands down.
There has been some talk of Dalton Smith getting a few games against the physical teams. While he is willing and able, I feel another year in Syracuse might be best for him.
I really did not see enough of Nesterov to be able to pass judgement. He seemed to have the injury bug last year, so I expect him to bounce back.

crunchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 12:16 PM
  #20
garmonbozia
Registered User
 
garmonbozia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Brendan O'Donnell - didn't even crack our own cumulative top 25 prospect rankings despite lighting up the rookie camp a few weeks ago. I think he takes a notable step forward over the next year to organizational relevance.

Brayden Point - I also believe Point will have a good enough campaign to be considered a total 'steal' of the third round. Many GMs and fans of other teams will regret not having picked him sooner. I expect training camp with some analogous big league centers will do wonders for his development.

Vladislav Namestnikov - might not be unknown or too surprising to us, but, I expect Vladdy to make a big jump this year. Could force someone else we all have pencilled in at center off to a wing. If he gets in NHL games again this year I think he makes it VERY difficult to send back down any time soon.

garmonbozia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 04:04 PM
  #21
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Connolly just needs his software updated. I think he still runs Windows 97.

Crabby Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.