HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks Training Camp 2010 - Roster finalized

Old
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
EbonyRaptor

vCash: 500
I thought I read somewhere that Makarov was playing LW in practice/scrimage - if that is true and it works (and he doesn't regress), then I would like to see these lines:

Makarov-Toews-Hossa
Brouwer-Sharp-Kane
Stalberg-Bolland-Pisani
Bickell-Kopecky-Skille

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Mascht88

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Makarov was playing LW in practice/scrimage - if that is true and it works (and he doesn't regress), then I would like to see these lines:

Makarov-Toews-Hossa
Brouwer-Sharp-Kane
Stalberg-Bolland-Pisani
Bickell-Kopecky-Skille
Now that would be great lines! I'd prefer Makarov in the third line however.

Mascht88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:33 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascht88 View Post
Now that would be great lines! I'd prefer Makarov in the third line however.
I wouldn't mind having Makarov on the top line with Toews. He did play with Toews and Kane in some exhibition games a couple of years ago and they apparently had some chemistry.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Slvrdwn

I'd really like him on the first line. From what I've heard and what I saw at the prospect turniment he has anough skill to keep up with toews and kane, and he's got some grit too to balance it out. I think hed do better than brower or kopy up there.

Slvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Biolink

Quote:

Makarov-Toews-Hossa
Brouwer-Sharp-Kane
Stalberg-Bolland-Pisani
Bickell-Kopecky-Skille
Great lines. I'd like to see this eventually. If Makarov pans out to be more than a 3rd liner, and allows Brouwer to be on that 2nd line, Stalberg to be on the 3rd line, and Kopy to be playing on the 4th line we'd be made.

Biolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Blucher

Makarov on the first line with Toews and Kane = Calder Trophy!

Blucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Biolink

A lot of optimism and wishful thinking. I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I'm praying to the heavens that Mak can continue this success and he isn't on some hot streak. Though, even if he is on some kind of streak, he's showing that he's capable of doing so. More than you can say for Skille or Bickell at the moment

Biolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
How has Vishnevskiy looked?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Like the lines. It would be nice for Bickell to not have to do the drive back and forth to AHL after every game too!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Mascht88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
How has Vishnevskiy looked?
According to secondcityhockey.com it looks like he did a good job:

Quote:
He's my bet to make the squad with Scott on the third defensive pairing. He's got a great shot, and has all of the right skills. His panic threshold may be a little too high. He got caught on the blueline a couple times in a way that makes me feel he's vulnerable to giving up a shorty every once in a while, ala Timmonen in the Finals. At 22, though, I'm expecting him to have some room to grow in the wisdom department.
Bowman also said in an interview that he was impressed by Vishnevskiy so far.

Mascht88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Then second city hockey is moronic. If Scott receives regular playing time over Boynton or Hendry, I'll be pissed.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Then second city hockey is moronic. If Scott receives regular playing time over Boynton or Hendry, I'll be pissed.
Agreed

Frankly the fact Scott got a 2 yr deal seems very moronic to be honest with our glut of defenseman/forwards coming thru system

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
His size alone will get him in more then a few games this season...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
His size alone will get him in more then a few games this season...
Agree

7th D, maybe a 13th Foward

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I watched Makarov play at the rookie tournament in London. He looked very solid in that format and I hope he can find a home with the Black Hawks.

With that being said I find the tone on here to be hilarious. The guy has scored 26 points in 2 years in the KHL and some of you are pegging him for the top line on the Hawks? The last thing the Toews and Kane line needs is another smallish winger, especially one that has yet to show the ability to perform at the highest level.

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy but he has a long way to go. Three prospect games and a nice start to training camp doesn't erase any question marks for me.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
I watched Makarov play at the rookie tournament in London. He looked very solid in that format and I hope he can find a home with the Black Hawks.

With that being said I find the tone on here to be hilarious. The guy has scored 26 points in 2 years in the KHL and some of you are pegging him for the top line on the Hawks? The last thing the Toews and Kane line needs is another smallish winger, especially one that has yet to show the ability to perform at the highest level.

Don't get me wrong. I like the guy but he has a long way to go. Three prospect games and a nice start to training camp doesn't erase any question marks for me.
3rd Liner for me

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:19 PM
JUICEY*

I had him as a 4th liner or 13th forward in most my lineups. However, you can't deny how well he has done so far. I've been more and more impressed with him and I'm not the only one. Other analysts have seen what this kid can do. If he can play LW, I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually on the 1st or 2nd line. It's not completely out of the question as long as he keeps putting up the numbers.

So the guy didn't perform that well in the KHL, so what? From what I understand he was getting 4th line minutes and did a decent job of that. He obviously wasn't happy with how he was being used, otherwise he wouldn't of signed such a cap friendly contract and for two years at that. He thinks he can compete and thus far I haven't seen anything that says he can't. He's exceeded my expectations so far.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:

I really have to question you on this post....

First off, apparently you don't know how the KHL works. Let me help you out. Makarov had 26 points in two years, because he was playing ON THE FOURTH LINE. See, how it works over there, prospects that are looking to jump ship to the NHL, don't get top minutes. They get buried on the lower lines, and the KHL veterans are the ones that play big minutes. So his KHL stats are absolutely MEANINGLESS.

Next topic, smallish winger? Apparently you've never seen him up close and personal, or watched him play live. I wouldn't call 6'1" and around 200 lbs. "smallish". I mean, Versteeg was a dwarf if Makarov is "smallish". Makarov's size is not an issue. He's built like a truck. He also plays MUCH bigger than his size, as well. He is extremely strong on the puck, plays physical, and doesn't back down from anyone. He was nose to nose with Brouwer on several shifts on Saturday, and he can and WILL drop the gloves. Which is more than we can say for that creampuff Byfuglien, who is one of the biggest guys in the NHL. Size isn't everything. When you look at the sum of all his tools, the possibilities for this kid are endless. He's also only 23 years old, and will fill out a bit more in the next year or two...

Finally, they don't need a guy that has not yet shown the ability to play at the highest level? He's been playing pro hockey in Russia for two years. You know, playing against men? He hasn't been sitting in the ECHL or AHL for the last two years, playing against 19-20 year old kids. He's been playing against guys that are bigger than him, and guys that have much more experience than him. On top of that, he was playing on the fourth line, where he was expected to by physical and drop the gloves when provoked. I take it you also missed the fact that he played in the World Junior Tournaments in 2005 and 2007, so he's been playing against high levels of competition for years. He racked up 7 goals and 4 assists in 12 games in those tournaments too. How would Makarov landing on a line with Toews/Hossa/Sharp/Kane be any different than Brouwer, Byfuglien, Bickell, or Versteeg over the last two years? I'll answer for you, it wouldn't.

Really, your post comes from a pretty ignorant perspective on him... He has all the tools to play in the NHL right now, and could be slotted ANYWHERE in the lineup and contribute. That isn't just my opinion either. That's pretty much the opinion of everyone I've talked to that has seen him play live. Hell, a lot people that saw him play in prospects camp a couple years ago thought he would make the team out of camp. Unfortunately, we had serious salary cap issues at the beginning of the year, and he went back to Russia, instead of sticking around in the AHL. He is the strongest, most physical, and most complete player out of any of our current non-Rockford prospects, and is better than several of the Rockford guys as well.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
I really have to question you on this post....

First off, apparently you don't know how the KHL works. Let me help you out. Makarov had 26 points in two years, because he was playing ON THE FOURTH LINE. See, how it works over there, prospects that are looking to jump ship to the NHL, don't get top minutes. They get buried on the lower lines, and the KHL veterans are the ones that play big minutes. So his KHL stats are absolutely MEANINGLESS

Next topic, smallish winger? Apparently you've never seen him up close and personal, or watched him play live. I wouldn't call 6'1" and around 200 lbs. "smallish". I mean, Versteeg was a dwarf if Makarov is "smallish". Makarov's size is not an issue. He's built like a truck. He also plays MUCH bigger than his size, as well. He is extremely strong on the puck, plays physical, and doesn't back down from anyone. He was nose to nose with Brouwer on several shifts on Saturday, and he can and WILL drop the gloves. Which is more than we can say for that creampuff Byfuglien, who is one of the biggest guys in the NHL. Size isn't everything. When you look at the sum of all his tools, the possibilities for this kid are endless. He's also only 23 years old, and will fill out a bit more in the next year or two...

Finally, they don't need a guy that has not yet shown the ability to play at the highest level? He's been playing pro hockey in Russia for two years. You know, playing against men? He hasn't been sitting in the ECHL or AHL for the last two years, playing against 19-20 year old kids. He's been playing against guys that are bigger than him, and guys that have much more experience than him. On top of that, he was playing on the fourth line, where he was expected to by physical and drop the gloves when provoked. I take it you also missed the fact that he played in the World Junior Tournaments in 2005 and 2007, so he's been playing against high levels of competition for years. He racked up 7 goals and 4 assists in 12 games in those tournaments too. How would Makarov landing on a line with Toews/Hossa/Sharp/Kane be any different than Brouwer, Byfuglien, Bickell, or Versteeg over the last two years? I'll answer for you, it wouldn't.

Really, your post comes from a pretty ignorant perspective on him... He has all the tools to play in the NHL right now, and could be slotted ANYWHERE in the lineup and contribute. That isn't just my opinion either. That's pretty much the opinion of everyone I've talked to that has seen him play live. Hell, a lot people that saw him play in prospects camp a couple years ago thought he would make the team out of camp. Unfortunately, we had serious salary cap issues at the beginning of the year, and he went back to Russia, instead of sticking around in the AHL. He is the strongest, most physical, and most complete player out of any of our current non-Rockford prospects, and is better than several of the Rockford guys as well.

Take a breath buddy. My point was that I like him and hope to see him on the Hawks but talking about him being on the top line is plain laughable.

If you want to rationalize that his 9 point season last year is because of politics then knock your socks off. I won't argue with you because I don't have to. He scored 9 points last year in a lesser league, if you want to put him on the top line on the defending Stanley Cup Champs you are getting caught up in the hyperbole.

I watched him at the Prospect tournament in 2 games. I watched him in warm-up and the entire Pens game from the first row. The guy ain't 6'1". I saw him stand with other players and based on that I would peg him at under 6 feet. I never said he was a midget, I said he was smallish and he is for an NHL winger.

The guy is a nice player but I am not getting carried away. But go ahead and attack me for being the voice of reason.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:24 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Take a breath buddy. My point was that I like him and hope to see him on the Hawks but talking about him being on the top line is plain laughable.

If you want to rationalize that his 9 point season last year is because of politics then knock your socks off. I won't argue with you because I don't have to. He scored 9 points last year in a lesser league, if you want to put him on the top line on the defending Stanley Cup Champs you are getting caught up in the hyperbole.

I watched him at the Prospect tournament in 2 games. I watched him in warm-up and the entire Pens game from the first row. The guy ain't 6'1". I saw him stand with other players and based on that I would peg him at under 6 feet. I never said he was a midget, I said he was smallish and he is for an NHL winger.

The guy is a nice player but I am not getting carried away. But go ahead and attack me for being the voice of reason.
He could easily play on the top line. Who else is going to?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:

Makarov-Toews-Hossa
Brouwer-Sharp-Kane
Stalberg-Bolland-Pisani
Bickell-Kopecky-Skille
If Makarov can bring IT, that Top 6 would just brutalize the Western Conference.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:

Makarov-Toews-Hossa
Brouwer-Sharp-Kane
Stalberg-Bolland-Pisani
Bickell-Kopecky-Skille
I think you could make a case for any of those four left wingers playing on any of the four lines. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:23 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
I find that stat-gazing of players who have played in the KHL is rarely indicative of their skills. Have a look at some established Russians RSL/KHL stats and you might be surprised.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:21 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:

I'm glad my post can serve to amuse you - everyone needs a good laugh now and then. Unfortunately, I think it's your tone that's somewhat laughable. I understand that preseason hyperbole can annoy some of the more skeptical fans, but you ruin your supporting argument by citing inaccurate "facts".

First, as has already been pointed out, Makarov is not "smallish". In fact - he isn't small at all and plays with enough physicality. Second, also already pointed out, where oh where are the stud LWs that should be playing ahead of Makarov? The only legit top-6 LW we have on the team is currently playing 2nd line center. Brouwer is capable as a top-6 player but who else on the team will play the other top-6 LW - Kopecky? I have nothing against Kopecky and if he ends up playing top-6 minutes - he'll probably do OK, but c'mon!

I think a more "laughable" argument would be Stalberg being pencilled in as one of the top-6 LWs. Speed, speed, speed - supposedly Stalberg's three best assets. At least Makarov has shown he has top-6 potential.

Lastly, the lines I listed had Toews and Kane separated. I like the Toews-Hossa combination because they are both great two way players and have shown a nice chemistry together. Makarov has shown he plays defense and has enough speed and grit to fit in nicely in that type of role and he has enough offensive skill to complement Toews and Hossa too. I did couch the line combo's with the caveat that it works only if Makarov doesn't regress. Hopefully he doesn't and we can all have a laugh at your misguided skepticism.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:

I'm not attacking you. I'm saying you are obviously not seeing what everyone else is seeing. How is Makarov on the top line laughable? Who else do you think is VASTLY superior to him, that they should be a lock for the top line? Brouwer? Kopecky? Bickell? Stalberg? Nope, I'm just not seeing that, sorry. It's called slot allocation. You put players in the best role for the TEAM. Maybe Brouwer is a better shutdown winger than Makarov, so they want him on our shutdown line? Maybe they feel the team is better with Kopecky centering the fourth line, instead of playing LW? Maybe they think Stalberg is a better fit for the third line... We won't know any of this until probably 20-30 games into the season... and Q's lines never stay the same for long. I would bet you $100 that Makarov plays on one of our top lines this season, assuming he makes the team.

Even if you're right about his size, and he's not 6'1", how does that matter? He doesn't PLAY small, which is the only relevant thing of note in the size conversation. He plays just as strong, physical, and hard as all of our bigger wingers, so I couldn't really care less what his TRUE size is. He goes into the corners, he wins puck battles, he hits, and he grinds it out when necessary. Our captain isn't exactly a monster on the height and weight charts either, and he is one of the best board battlers and strongest guys on the puck in the NHL.

Sounds to me like you're overly fixated on his numbers, and haven't watched enough of him playing, to have a grasp on his potential or his skillset. His toolset is as good as, or better than, any LW we have in our system right now. So saying him playing on our top line is "laughable" is probably the most laughable part of this thread.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote