HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rollergard Skate Guard???

Old
09-05-2010, 03:42 PM
thedoc1019

vCash: 500
Rollergard Skate Guard???

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...ng+Skate+Guard

Has anyone on here ever used these???Can I use these to actually practice in???Stopping, skating backwards,etc..

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
EmptyNetter

This is the first time I've seen them but they look very gimmicky. First, the wheels aren't in a straight line and there are only two pair so it will be more like using roller skates. Second, I don't see that there are replacement wheels so I don't think they're designed for heavy use. Third, those kids in the ad are young, maybe 10 or 11 years old. Not sure if those wheels can support the weight of an adult.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2010, 09:27 PM
JagrBomb
Rookie User

The only thing I can say is DON'T DO IT! They're junk for doing anything serious and really made for like pre-teen kids. They will NOT help your skating at all. Get real roller hockey skates if you want to skate off-ice. Just my $.02

Last edited by JagrBomb: 09-23-2010 at 01:30 PM.
JagrBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:55 AM
BlackDog13

Actually saw these in a store just yesterday, complete garbage. Chris Chelios endorses 'em though.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
ciaokc

Love Them!!

I bought them for my two younger brothers from the Perani's website. They LOVE them. I think the purpose of the Rollergard is mainly for young kids, not for actual off ice training, although my brother and the neighbour kids play street hockey with them on. As far as them being junk, from what I have seen, I totally disagree. My friends in Toronto introduced me to them after they bought them for their kids. They told me they are a hit at the hockey rinks. Parents are able to get their kids ready at home and they just had to pop their guards off.

ciaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:09 PM
JagrBomb
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaokc View Post
I bought them for my two younger brothers from the Perani's website. They LOVE them. I think the purpose of the Rollergard is mainly for young kids, not for actual off ice training, although my brother and the neighbour kids play street hockey with them on. As far as them being junk, from what I have seen, I totally disagree. My friends in Toronto introduced me to them after they bought them for their kids. They told me they are a hit at the hockey rinks. Parents are able to get their kids ready at home and they just had to pop their guards off.
Okay, let me revise my previous statement somewhat. I tend to assume that most of the people here are adults or at least in their late-teens. I don't know how old the OP is, but I assumed he/she wasn't a child. Yes, for kids (and their parents), these things can come in quite convenient since you can just roll from the car to the rink without worry. I would still NOT recommend playing street hockey in them, especially if you weigh over 100 lbs. You're just asking to break them and subsequently need to buy new blades. Their purpose, as I understand it, is to get kids to, from, and around the rink without having to take skates on and off. For that, they serve a valid purpose and I won't discredit them. Anything other than that, don't hold your breath.

And I would laugh hysterically at the first adult I saw wearing these.

Good luck.

JagrBomb is offline   Reply With Quote