HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Best Registry to go for Class 5 Road Test

Old
09-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Boozers

vCash: 500
OT: Best Registry to go for Class 5 Road Test

Hi Im just wondering what registry would you recommend going to go for drivers road test in Edmonton? I heard Mayfield one is good not sure whats its called just wondering what people think? I heard others are beyond bad

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

I took mine at Monarch downtown. It wasn't bad, but ehh, i heard the guy was really hard, and he failed my buddy 3 times. I passed first go .

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Alex87

I think there are also a lot of people who privately offer the road tests, i.e. not through a registry. They can obviously be a mixed bag but they do offer some flexibility... that's good because if you fail, you can rebook the next day. Some registries will be backed up and you'll have to wait a week and sometimes even longer.

When I did mine, I went through a guy who asked me to meet him at Mill Woods registry (though it was on a sunday and the registry itself was closed). The road test in Mill Woods was very easy imo, in terms of the terrain/layout of the roads, etc. Avoid places like Bonnie Doon unless you're good with traffic circles.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
mpah

i did mine years ago near kingsway mall

i didnt so so hot but the woman really liked me and passed me

then i come to BC and they have a ridiculously complex and LENGTHY system.... but instead of having to go through all that, i just traded in my AB license and got a brand new ready to go BC license

boo-yah!

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Are you looking to "pay" your way? Otherwise what's the difference? You sit in a car and drive.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Other Little Mikey

Devon. Two traffic lights in the whole town. Just make sure you're at 30 before you reach the school/playground zone signs. Done.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Drayden in St. Albert is very good, and very easy to pass, especially if you get the fanny pack lady.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Are you looking to "pay" your way? Otherwise what's the difference? You sit in a car and drive.
its not that simple... some of the testers are jerks and some laid back.
Ive had friends getting docked marks because they "stopped too agressively at a stop sign" and for not being "agressive enough at red lights" .. who cares as long as u stop ..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Cam98

devon...easiest one by far.

so simple took me 20min, all we did was circle around devon, basically left right turns, demonstrate up hill parking, pp, and thats about it.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
its not that simple... some of the testers are jerks and some laid back.
Ive had friends getting docked marks because they "stopped too agressively at a stop sign" and for not being "agressive enough at red lights" .. who cares as long as u stop ..
Some of that is legit though i guess, if its on the sheet than you can get marks off. I know there is a box for driving too slow.

I was of course awesome b/c i got 100% , and it was not b/c of the evaluator i am just awesome

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

If anyone is or has been a drivers instructor or tester would you mind shooting me a pm I have a question specifically to medical driving exams

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
OILNATION*

I hit a curb Parallel parking and didn't stop coming out of a parking lot.. I did however listen to my instructor talk about how Muslims are going to take over the world and Canadian politics. I somehow think he passed me for sitting there and listening to him rant.

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:50 PM
IBleedOil247

If your worried about not passing a drivers test and finding an easy way out, please stay out of the west end, id prefer to not be ran over.

And don't tell them your internet name is "boozer"

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
twisted by dezign

Anything to watch out for the Mill Woods test? Also, any thing to watch out for driving a car with a manual? I hear some examiners are anal about manual driving techniques.

twisted by dezign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

I did my drivers test in April with the Registry off of 91st and Millwoods Road. My driver instructor was Peter. He's a no-tricks kind of guy. He did my test in 20 minutes, and we drove through Millwoods mostly. I passed (barely) and he was very easy going. My funniest error I had was "Improper use of Hand Brake"

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:22 PM
twisted by dezign

Did you parallel park at all? I never parallel park my car as well as I used to since I have 18" wheels on my car and I am afraid of curbing them, haha. Did you encounter school/playground zones (where you have to slow down to 30, not school/playground areas)?

And how did you improperly use the handbrake? lol

Old
09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Jamin

if your so worried you need the easiest one shouldnt you practice more before hitting the open road

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted by dezign View Post
Did you parallel park at all? I never parallel park my car as well as I used to since I have 18" wheels on my car and I am afraid of curbing them, haha. Did you encounter school/playground zones (where you have to slow down to 30, not school/playground areas)?

And how did you improperly use the handbrake? lol
I went through probably 3 school zones. I stayed around 40-50 all the way from the registry and back. There was one parallel parking and I got it right in one try. When you get close to a school, just slow down to 20-30. You won't fail for going slow. And the improper hand brake was from when I was done my parallel parking and I put the hand brake on to show I am done parking. Then as soon as he said go, I put the car in drive and pressed the gas pedal with the hand brake on. It was a dumb move by me, but I'm not worried about it now.

Old
09-17-2010, 12:27 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
I went through probably 3 school zones. I stayed around 40-50 all the way from the registry and back. There was one parallel parking and I got it right in one try. When you get close to a school, just slow down to 20-30. You won't fail for going slow. And the improper hand brake was from when I was done my parallel parking and I put the hand brake on to show I am done parking. Then as soon as he said go, I put the car in drive and pressed the gas pedal with the hand brake on. It was a dumb move by me, but I'm not worried about it now.

I took my daughter to get her drivers licence lately and the instructor told her that you will fail if you are driving below 35 km/h in a 50 km/h urban area.In a school zone you will fail if you drive below 15 km/h in a 30 km/h school zone.

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:27 AM
twisted by dezign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
So you slowed down in school areas (which are not mandatory to slow down to 30)? In the driving I do in Mill Woods, I have never encountered an actual school zone so I want to make sure. I guess I will be taking another car for the test because I don't want to have to worry about curbing my car's wheels.

Old
09-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
So you slowed down in school areas (which are not mandatory to slow down to 30)? In the driving I do in Mill Woods, I have never encountered an actual school zone so I want to make sure. I guess I will be taking another car for the test because I don't want to have to worry about curbing my car's wheels.
I'd stay slow anyways. That way he can't say your speeding. And then you can take it easy and slow. I always drove 30 when in a school zone since I work for the school board. Only time I'd drive 50 is when it's like 9 PM or later.

Old
09-17-2010, 12:34 AM
twisted by dezign

Alright, thanks for the tips. The test seems really easy but I just have to make sure to correct any improper habits for the driving test (e.g. driving with one hand). I have been driving for a while but never bothered to get my Class 5 as the GDL is almost the same save for some differences.

Old
09-17-2010, 12:40 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Alright, thanks for the tips. The test seems really easy but I just have to make sure to correct any improper habits for the driving test (e.g. driving with one hand). I have been driving for a while but never bothered to get my Class 5 as the GDL is almost the same save for some differences.

I feel bad for ya because you will have to pass a 2nd road test to become a fully licensed driver .

Step 1 Learners
Step 2 Drivers test
Step 3 Advanced road test

Learners $17-$20
Road test $66-$70
Advanced Road Test $120-$125

Total cost $203-$215

Last edited by oilersfan11: 09-17-2010 at 01:04 AM.
oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Cam98

remember to shoulder check and use your signals when your parrallel parking, i failed my first time because i wasn't shoulder checking enough relying on my mirrors to much and forgot to single out on my pp

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:05 AM
twisted by dezign

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I feel bad for ya because you will have to pass a 2nd road test to become a fully licensed driver .

Step 1 Learners
Step 2 Drivers test
Step 3 Advanced road test

Learners $17-$20
Road test $66-$70
Advanced Road Test $120-$125

Total cost $203-$215
Yeah. The first road test was really easy. I took that when I was 17 and I haven't bothered to go for the full Class 5 yet. I'm going to get on that now, haha.