HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tiered Ticket Pricing Coming To Flyers?

Old
09-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Tiered Ticket Pricing Coming To Flyers?

In dividing up our tickets my partner noticed that the ticket prices were different... They varied between $63.00 and $78.00 for a low row Mezzanine seat. Some of the differences were easy to figure out, like Opening Night or Black Friday... He pointed out an October Islanders game that was $63 while the April game was $78; I take that to be the timing of the April game, and that it was the last game of the Regular Season... But he also noted that the two Bruins games were $63 and $78 and neither were on a 'special' night... There were no higher prices for Division or Conference rivals.

We are paying the regular price we paid last season -- no increase as promised -- but why are these pre-printed Season Ticket Holder tickets marked with different pricing? Even if they were to be sold to the call-in/walk-up fans those tickets are printed by computer and are not the same fancy STH ones... Is it that the tickets have increased for single game and game day sales and we can re-sell ours at the higher rate, so they printed the 'new tiered' rates on them?

Why has nothing been reported by the Flyers about this to explain? Can we expect our STH seats to be subject to tiered rates in the future?

Has anyone else noticed this price difference or know what is going on?

BTW: a tiered policy would play havoc with the people who share Season Tickets and select games... both in selecting games and in calculating shares with uneven costs. It will not be as easy to select games when cost comes into play... no even partnership anymore.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
BTW: a tiered policy would play havoc with the people who share Season Tickets and select games... both in selecting games and in calculating shares with uneven costs. It will not be as easy to select games when cost comes into play... no even partnership anymore.
That's probably not right. Most people who share are already dividing up tickets based on some sort of value system. Prefer weekend games, games against rivals, games against great teams, games likely to have playoff ramifications in March and April. If you're willing to pay the same as you are now for what you actually want than it should balance out anyway.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=816862

Touched on some of this before. Also, this is the second season of the premium games. But last year's STH did not see the prices on their tix.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
As far as I can tell, I believe we had the same price as it was last year. But they must be selling them individually that way. Technically, if you're an STH you're supposed to sell it for face value.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
That's probably not right. Most people who share are already dividing up tickets based on some sort of value system. Prefer weekend games, games against rivals, games against great teams, games likely to have playoff ramifications in March and April. If you're willing to pay the same as you are now for what you actually want than it should balance out anyway.
Let me explain it as we have divided the games since the Seventies; We get together all partners -- was as high as four, has been only two for many years no though -- We select by time in group with each partner selecting in an even and regular basis... The first partner has a favorite team and his first two selections are always that team, I like Opening night and Fan Appreciation Game (in hopes of winning a jersey off a players back)... We each select from that point on weighing teams we want to see with an eye on spreading the games around so that they are not all front-loaded or back-loaded, or in clumps like three in a week or several in a row... We take into account work schedules, vacation periods, schools and best days of the week/weekend... After the first few selections the teams are not as important as the dates and space between games -- games at the end of the season are crap shoots as they can be do or die as last season or can mean nothing if you are out or resting regulars.

Many groups select in this manner I either know or imagine.

Are you suggesting that we should not care if a partner has more expensive games at a discount price subsidized by the other(s)? I take the Opening and Fan games; I don't want to take advantage of my partner who doesn't get them... On the other hand, my partner doesn't attend as many games as I do; I attend all my games and he sells off a great deal of his after he grabs the ones he wants. He could theoretically grab the better games at the STH discount and sell them for greater profit -- although I know that is not like him and he won't.

In any case, in an ideal World, yes we could just select and let the cost fall as it may... But this is not an ideal World and at $30.00 a pair difference, it can amount to quite a difference... We always aim to be fair to a fault with each other, and I know we will in the end work out a fair way to select and pay... But as a STH group partner for decades, let me say that a tiered ticketing policy could potentially be a headache for such groups.

But really that is the least of the problems for the fans if Tiered Pricing is coming, IMO.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
As far as I can tell, I believe we had the same price as it was last year. But they must be selling them individually that way. Technically, if you're an STH you're supposed to sell it for face value.
On the Flyers partnership IIRC it is at least Face Value, but can be more, as the market will bear.

I know our bottom line bill was the same this season as last.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
ELab2

Quote:

Are you suggesting that we should not care if a partner has more expensive games at a discount price subsidized by the other(s)? I take the Opening and Fan games; I don't want to take advantage of my partner who doesn't get them... On the other hand, my partner doesn't attend as many games as I do; I attend all my games and he sells off a great deal of his after he grabs the ones he wants. He could theoretically grab the better games at the STH discount and sell them for greater profit -- although I know that is not like him and he won't.

In any case, in an ideal World, yes we could just select and let the cost fall as it may... But this is not an ideal World and at $30.00 a pair difference, it can amount to quite a difference... We always aim to be fair to a fault with each other, and I know we will in the end work out a fair way to select and pay... But as a STH group partner for decades, let me say that a tiered ticketing policy could potentially be a headache for such groups.

But really that is the least of the problems for the fans if Tiered Pricing is coming, IMO.
Yes that's what I'm suggesting. It doesn't make a difference. As long as you're all willing to pay the average ticket price for every game you select (which you were before) it should make no difference. Chances are that over the course of most peoples selections they balance out costs anyway.

It does become a problem with the selling though because if you more of the expensive tickets, and you paid less than face value for them through the group, you get more profit when you sell them. But of course how much of a problem that is depends on how much their really sold for. There's nothing to say that if you're throwing them on E-Bay you may get more for a cheaper priced ticket than an expensive one on some occasions.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
On the Flyers partnership IIRC it is at least Face Value, but can be more, as the market will bear.

I know our bottom line bill was the same this season as last.
People will still buy them for that price, I think. Fans will travel and home fans will want to see better teams.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:48 PM
flountown

You pay the same low STH price per game, so if you guys are OK with the games you choose, who cares about the price listed on the ticket...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Yes that's what I'm suggesting. It doesn't make a difference. As long as you're all willing to pay the average ticket price for every game you select (which you were before) it should make no difference. Chances are that over the course of most peoples selections they balance out costs anyway.

It does become a problem with the selling though because if you more of the expensive tickets, and you paid less than face value for them through the group, you get more profit when you sell them. But of course how much of a problem that is depends on how much their really sold for. There's nothing to say that if you're throwing them on E-Bay you may get more for a cheaper priced ticket than an expensive one on some occasions.
The thing is though that once the tiered pricing hits the STH packages there will be a bump up by the premium games... So now that average cost will be the average cost of the premium games and the regular games. Once the already expensive season ticket seat becomes even more expensive looking at premium games would seem not so petty. We are saying we are increasing the year not on a general increase but on the basis of opponents and dates... Then those teams and dates become more desired.

My guess on our group would be that the premium games would be put into a pool that will be selected in turn before the regular games... therefore the games can be filled in evenly (date-wise) and the cost can be evened out also... the odd game being rotated along with the odd regular season so that the partner with two preseason games gets the choice of the extra premium game or passing on it. It will all be worked out, it is just that the thought of it stirred me up.

All that said, I'm now thinking, based on the fact that this is not the first season for this, is that either the STH will not be subject to the tier pricing... or they will not be but have to give up our discount and pay the face value of the lower tier in place of the next increase. I don't know which is a better value, but I'd guess that the latter would be a 10% or so rate increase... All this is pure conjecture on my part and is based on absolutely nothing.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
You pay the same low STH price per game, so if you guys are OK with the games you choose, who cares about the price listed on the ticket...
In this year and every year that we are not in the tiered pricing? Absolutely nobody cares one iota... We selected and are not worrying about who got what.

The concern arises when and if the tiered pricing hits the STH. Sorry if I was not clear on that earlier.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:36 PM
ELab2

Quote:
The thing is though that once the tiered pricing hits the STH packages there will be a bump up by the premium games... So now that average cost will be the average cost of the premium games and the regular games. Once the already expensive season ticket seat becomes even more expensive looking at premium games would seem not so petty. We are saying we are increasing the year not on a general increase but on the basis of opponents and dates... Then those teams and dates become more desired.

My guess on our group would be that the premium games would be put into a pool that will be selected in turn before the regular games... therefore the games can be filled in evenly (date-wise) and the cost can be evened out also... the odd game being rotated along with the odd regular season so that the partner with two preseason games gets the choice of the extra premium game or passing on it. It will all be worked out, it is just that the thought of it stirred me up.

All that said, I'm now thinking, based on the fact that this is not the first season for this, is that either the STH will not be subject to the tier pricing... or they will not be but have to give up our discount and pay the face value of the lower tier in place of the next increase. I don't know which is a better value, but I'd guess that the latter would be a 10% or so rate increase... All this is pure conjecture on my part and is based on absolutely nothing.
My thinking really only works at the current rate where it seemed that some tickets went down in price from the previous set price of all tickets and some went up.

When that starts to change or they tier more dramatically it's a problem. Although your idea of throwing the premiums in an initial selection pot is a really good one.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People will still buy them for that price, I think. Fans will travel and home fans will want to see better teams.
Organizations are banking on people being willing to pony up more money for better teams or closer rivals... and as long as theer are no rate increase as there was this season, and the team is playing well and giving its all, that may be the case.

But look at the Mets and their multi-tier packages that they installed a few seasons back... They are not doing well with it, and after the initial bump of the inaugural season at Citi Field I believe they are suffering at the gate with their so-so under-producing team... The Yankees however are holding people up with masks at the new Yankee Stadium, and the fans are going up to them asking to get robbed. I don't know if the Evil Empire has a Tiered Pricing policy or not, only that every seat is expensive every games... and difficult to get.

We Flyers fans are loyal to a fault... but start messing with the pricing and giving an appearance of not being fan friendly, and they may eventually see a backlash. I believe they are smarter than that though and will tread lightly. Messing with the walk ups is okay... but they have to be careful with the base STHs and Corporate clients.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
My thinking really only works at the current rate where it seemed that some tickets went down in price from the previous set price of all tickets and some went up.

When that starts to change or they tier more dramatically it's a problem. Although your idea of throwing the premiums in an initial selection pot is a really good one.
I may be wrong but I don't think the lower tier went down from the past pricing... If it did, it was only slightly. I believe they just upped the big boys.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:00 PM
ELab2

Quote:
I may be wrong but I don't think the lower tier went down from the past pricing... If it did, it was only slightly. I believe they just upped the big boys.
That's not possible if you said the overall cost from the previous year did not change.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
That's not possible if you said the overall cost from the previous year did not change.
The Season Ticket Holders are not tiered... From what I understand both last season and this season outside the 'packages' there were/are premium games.

What we have seen this season on our STH tickets is the walk up face value price... last season they had printed on them the same non-premium game price whether they were tiered higher or not; therefore last season I was not aware of any tiers.