HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Geoff Molson: "We are in the hockey business and not into politics."

Old
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Geoff Molson: "We are in the hockey business and not into politics."

http://sports.sympatico.cbc.ca/news/...s_pmo/e5d807cb

Quote:
Habs owner Geoff Molson also commented on the allegations, defending his team on Thursday against accusations the team serves the federalist cause.

Molson said he didn't really want to respond to the political tempest, but he was quick to dismiss its contents.

"We are in the hockey business and not into politics," Molson said in Montreal. "I can tell you we don't talk about politics in the dressing room."

The hockey club has more French-speaking players than any other team in the NHL, with 11 at training camp, said Dominick Saillant, a spokesman for the Habs.

Talent, not language gets players like Maxim Lapierre, Mathieu Darche and Benoît Pouliot on the ice, he added.
This was in response to:

Quote:
Marois told reporters Wednesday that the hockey team does not reflect the reality in the province, and the lack of a Quebec identity on the Habs ends up serving the federalist cause.

"[This team is] a symbol of our pride to succeed in this sport, and I think the Quebecers would like to have more francophones in this team," Marois said, while denying that she believes that the lack of French-speaking players is a federal conspiracy.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
guest1467

****in rights.

Haha, beat you overlord.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

What are the PQ talking about? It's not like this is a new phenomenon.

See: Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Ken Dryden and Howie Morenz who by the way was born in Mitchell, Ontario.

Sure, there was a time when the percentage of Quebecers was higher but still this is totally irrelevant nonsense!

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Kriss E

Politicians should never talk about hockey unless it's related to finances.

This ''conspiracy'' theory is completely ridiculous. How moronic.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Patccmoi

Expected soon:

"We are in the hockey business and not into politics."

- HFBoard Mod
*lock*

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:18 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Already discussed and locked.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Obviously the PQ is pandering to the "Quebecker Nation" mentality.

It's a shame because it sullies the name of the CH, which is a symbol of pride just like FC Barcelona is to the Catalan people, and places even more pressure from the franco-seperatist media.

Leave politics and ******** out of hockey. If anything we should lobby to have a higher cap due to the high taxes here. The owners would spend more but if we could get high-end players like Lecavalier, St-Louis, Gagne, Briere, Giguere, etc. I doubt they'd mind

For the record: Montreal is just as English as it is French, some would argue it has a far richer English history than French.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

I go to hockey to get AWAY from politics

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
****in rights.

Haha, beat you overlord.
after a certain point, even I get tired of repeating myself

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

It will be interesting to see what rules the Quebec Nordiques will have if they ever come to fruition, especially if the Quebec government pays for half of the arena.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
InglewoodJack

What he should have said was
"We are in the hockey business"

"And Curzi, Business is a boomin' "

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

I can't stand politicians using the habs as a means to get their propaganda across. The habs transcend language, when will people learn that? Whether you're an anglo or a franco, when we're all at a bar screaming our lungs out when a hab, any hab, scores that overtime goal, that's what it's about.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
What he should have said was
"We are in the hockey business"

"And Curzi, Business is a boomin' "

" Each and every player under my command owes me a Stanley cup, and I WANT my Stanley cup "

Beaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:40 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Commission Bastarache : not a single word about it from PQ
All that is happening with the FTQ and construction workers : they're kissing FTQ ass
Habs doesnt have as many frenchies as they think they should : both Curzi and Marois whine about it...

priorities maybe...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:34 PM
E = CH²

ITT: Let's bash french people, the PQ, the BQ, québec city for asking for subventions for the olympics/nordiques, independentists and the 101 law.

It's cool because the thread hasn't been locked yet.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Unfortunately for people like me and others who are more sensitive to the local factor, it is overshadowed by stupidities and nonsense spewed by Curzi, Marois and Co.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
ITT: Let's bash french people, the PQ, the BQ, québec city for asking for subventions for the olympics/nordiques, independentists and the 101 law.

Yah so instead let's make these people make false claims about our team/organization for the sake of propoganda because clearly it makes more sense.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

Honestly, I'd like to know your honest opinion. Do you think that policitians should be commenting on the make-up of a professional hockey team? Do you feel this is intelligent in terms of priorities? Do you feel this is an appropriate way for public officials to spend their time?

I would LOVE if we lived in a country that was SO WELL RUN and SO WELL OFF that all politicans had to talk about was sports. Honestly, it'd be utopia!

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

victimize yourself more please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Unfortunately for people like me and others who are more sensitive to the local factor, it is overshadowed by stupidities and nonsense spewed by Curzi, Marois and Co.....
Thank god some poeple, who are more sensitive, as you say, to the issue can see through this sensational BS

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Honestly, I'd like to know your honest opinion. Do you think that policitians should be commenting on the make-up of a professional hockey team? Do you feel this is intelligent in terms of priorities? Do you feel this is an appropriate way for public officials to spend their time?

I would LOVE if we lived in a country that was SO WELL RUN and SO WELL OFF that all politicans had to talk about was sports. Honestly, it'd be utopia!
To answer your question, yes it's obviously a smart move to make if your a politician in Quebec. Play the francophone factor and gain the interest among the general public. Sure, the majority of the anglo-community will roll their eyes and the Gazette will publish articles that bash the PQ. However, the vast majority if the Francophone community will applaud this move and will gain her and the PQ more votes. What do you think Charest is doing with the arena plan in Quebec City?

It's the kind of tactics that most will consider cheap, but affective. Only problem is, most sports fans want politicians to stay away from sports altogether.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Lemons

Molsons should relply,

Sure as long as Marios gives birth to the next lafleur, Richard, Beliveau im all for having francophones.

On side note, not even francophones want to play in this city cause of people like her. Check Briere and Lecav

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
However, the vast majority if the Francophone community will applaud this move and will gain her and the PQ more votes.
I dunno man, frankly I don't think people are this stupid anymore.

Sure the radicals will applaud, but they'll applaud anything that comes out of her mouth, even if it's as retarded as there are not enough francophone representation in outer space.

If anything, I think such baseless uninformed comments like this are serving the federal cause and digging the PQ in a deeper hole. The people that they are trying to reach out to are the ones smart enough to have stopped voting for them... and they are certainly just rolling their eyes once again.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:20 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
To answer your question, yes it's obviously a smart move to make if your a politician in Quebec. Play the francophone factor and gain the interest among the general public. Sure, the majority of the anglo-community will roll their eyes and the Gazette will publish articles that bash the PQ. However, the vast majority if the Francophone community will applaud this move and will gain her and the PQ more votes. What do you think Charest is doing with the arena plan in Quebec City?

It's the kind of tactics that most will consider cheap, but affective. Only problem is, most sports fans want politicians to stay away from sports altogether.
My questions was not if this is a smart move by the PQ to please the masses...

I asked if this is this is appropriate in terms of priorities. Do you not agree that politicians should ideally have more important things to discuss? I suppose at this point I shouldn't be surprised to see pandering, but still...

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Loner

The PQ is only trying to get the vote from the ADQ, trying to play the identity factor while throwing popular non-issues. I was a lot into politics while younger but now partisanship is killing it for me. Even as a "Pure et dure" I would not vote again for the PQ and Pauline.

This issues is really ridiculous and the french factor in the Habs as nothing to do with politics and it's all business. The habs in a independant country will not have more Quebecers, they're there to ice the best posible team. Their's so many beautiful thing to say about independance and the habs is not one of them. Marois is populist and of "mauvaise foi", we can all agree that those are not great qualities for posible nation leader.

I miss the time when we had some great leaders, real statesman on every side of the political spectrum

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:25 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
My questions was not if this is a smart move by the PQ to please the masses...

I asked if this is this is appropriate in terms of priorities. Do you not agree that politicians should ideally have more important things to discuss? I suppose at this point I shouldn't be surprised to see pandering, but still...
This is it right here
Perhaps focusing on the economy or deteriorating health-care may take precedence over hockey?
Ya think!

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote