Old
09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Stars agree to two-year contracts with Neal, Niskanen

Per the Stars twitter feed.

Quote:
Neal's contract is 2-years: 1st year, $2.25 mil; 2nd year, $3.5 mil. Niskanen is 2-years: 1st year, $1.25 mil; 2nd year, $1.75 mil.
That's cap hits of $2.875 for Neal and $1.5 for Niskanen.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Per the Stars twitter feed.

That's cap hits of $2.875 for Neal and $1.5 for Niskanen.
cue the niskanens overpaid posts

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Kritter471

All defensemen are overpaid, honestly, because it's hard to fine serviceable ones, let alone good ones. I think he earned a little less, particularly with how he stunk it up last year, but I think it's pretty much market price for a player with his statistics and accomplishments.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:25 PM
vofty

You honestly feel his play last season qualified him for a raise of close to double his salary last year?

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
You honestly feel his play last season qualified him for a raise of close to double his salary last year?
To me or tx?

If it's me, then I don't think his play did, but I think his numbers over a three-year contract make that the market price. If he ever calms down in the defensive end and even becomes average back there, it's a good deal. It's not a huge price to pay, particular when you consider defensemen get more money in most situations, and it's not a contract where they're tied to him forever if he continues to struggle.

I would have preferred less, but I also think those are reasonable numbers since his stat line is pretty respectable (even if his defensive play really isn't).

Old
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm okay with the Niskanen signing, and the Neal signing is exactly what we wanted.

Ideally Niskanen will get closer to the form he had when Zubov was here....

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:32 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Its a little higher than i expected but no big deal. They are paying a bit for potential. Its only 2 years so its not going to hurt the stars finances in any way. If he hasnt lived up to it you can let him walk.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Caseman

I think the Stars were encouraged by Nisky's facial thunder

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
vofty

Quote:
To me or tx?

If it's me, then I don't think his play did, but I think his numbers over a three-year contract make that the market price. If he ever calms down in the defensive end and even becomes average back there, it's a good deal. It's not a huge price to pay, particular when you consider defensemen get more money in most situations, and it's not a contract where they're tied to him forever if he continues to struggle.

I would have preferred less, but I also think those are reasonable numbers since his stat line is pretty respectable (even if his defensive play really isn't).
It was directed at tx. I agree with you though, he certainly has the upside to make it look like a bargain in a year. But that doesn't mean based on last year he isn't overpaid but on the bright side since it is still a relatively low number he isn't overpaid by a ton.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Oh I like this.

I like this a lot.

Attaboy, Joe.

09-16-2010, 06:52 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Finally something good!! I like this.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Captain Awesome

Niskanen is definitely a little overpaid, but the amount of pretty negligible, especially if a new owner steps in. The real deal for Neal seems fine too, definitely not overpaid, but not a killer deal either. I'm sure we're all breathing a sigh of relief that we're all done and that Neal didn't get his Eriksson money. I hope the process didn't turn him off from the Dallas Stars at all, I guess in any case he has two years to get over it.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Niskanen is definitely a little overpaid, but the amount of pretty negligible, especially if a new owner steps in. The real deal for Neal seems fine too, definitely not overpaid, but not a killer deal either. I'm sure we're all breathing a sigh of relief that we're all done and that Neal didn't get his Eriksson money. I hope the process didn't turn him off from the Dallas Stars at all, I guess in any case he has two years to get over it.
I thought 2 years 6 million would be fair for Neal so Im pretty happy with 2 and 5.75.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
All defensemen are overpaid, honestly, because it's hard to fine serviceable ones, let alone good ones. I think he earned a little less, particularly with how he stunk it up last year, but I think it's pretty much market price for a player with his statistics and accomplishments.
Woah, woah. All through this you've been going on about no leverage and 2nd contracts and team control. Now it's signed and you're saying it's OK because of market value?

Good deal for Neal, epically massive overpayment for Niskanen.

At least they'll be in camp and there's no more drama. Actually, check that. I didn't want Niskanen to be in camp at all. He could've been replaced that way.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
KiedisA

HE SIGNED HE SIGNED HE'S FINALLY SIGNED!! ..and Niskanen too..

Well I was hoping 3-4 years for Neal but I can see why the jury is still out on him..

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
It's over! Good on the Neal signing.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Finally.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:34 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
yeesh, too much for Nisky. I sure hope he picks up his game at that rate. Oh and good job finally getting Neal signed. I am okay with that number.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Woah, woah. All through this you've been going on about no leverage and 2nd contracts and team control. Now it's signed and you're saying it's OK because of market value?

Good deal for Neal, epically massive overpayment for Niskanen.

At least they'll be in camp and there's no more drama. Actually, check that. I didn't want Niskanen to be in camp at all. He could've been replaced that way.
He's getting paid based on his first 3 years and potential going forward. Noone gave him that much money simply based on last year, thats obvious, but his performance for his first two seasons certainly earned him more than the scraps people seem to think he is worth.

Old
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Meh, even if you don't like the Niskanen deal, the Neal deal more than makes up for it.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Nisky better step it up!

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Alistar

yeah I can accept that Niskanen's contract is more reflective of his first two years in the league and the kind of performance the Stars expect in the future. Hopefully he can get back to playing solid defense and notching 30-40 points. If he does, it's a great contract.

as for Neal, his price was alot more established by other signings. Good that the Stars got what they wanted in a bridge contract.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
He's getting paid based on his first 3 years and potential going forward. Noone gave him that much money simply based on last year, thats obvious, but his performance for his first two seasons certainly earned him more than the scraps people seem to think he is worth.
You're right, but it kinda sucks because when the situation is reversed and a player comes off a good season it generally is the basis for a significant raise even if the 2 years prior were shotty. Cue Ribeiro's deal; 25 Mil out of no where really.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:24 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
You're right, but it kinda sucks because when the situation is reversed and a player comes off a good season it generally is the basis for a significant raise even if the 2 years prior were shotty. Cue Ribeiro's deal; 25 Mil out of no where really.
If Niskanen's seasons were reversed, he'd be signing a contract worth $3+ million like Letang. This is no different than everyone b****ing about Eriksson's bridge contract. No one thought he was worth $1.5 and $1.7. Not saying he's going to become one of the best players on the team like Eriksson, but it's really not that hard to live up to a contract worth $1.5 a season. Plus, it's also not an albatross contract that you can't unload if you give up on him. Someone will always flirt with young talent on a relatively cheap contract.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This is no different than everyone b****ing about Eriksson's bridge contract. No one thought he was worth $1.5 and $1.7.
I went back and looked at the 2008 offseason thread and all the other topics in that date range and not a single person complained about the Eriksson 2 year deal. PPOR.

edit: and here's the main board thread, nary an ill word

Last edited by piqued: 09-17-2010 at 12:48 PM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote