HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Versteeg

View Poll Results: How did playing for the Hawks effect Versteeg's production and reputaion?
INFLATED thanks to playing on a stacked team, will likely see his production go down 7 9.86%
HELD BACK thanks to playing on a stacked team, will likely see his production rise with more minutes 34 47.89%
A little of both, and will likely see similar production as the two balance out 30 42.25%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-16-2010, 07:34 PM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500
Kris Versteeg

Sorry if you guys have been asked about this before, but I'm looking for a general impression on 'steeger.

Myself, I wasn't a big fan of the trade because I don't see a whole lotta upside beyond the 20gl/50pt level he's already at, and to give up the $3m caphit AND the potential 2nd line quality of Stalberg seemed like an overpayment to me. No guarantees that Stalberg ever became as good as Versteeg but I think he has a chance to be, and for much cheaper, so I never really liked the trade. Still, I'm happy to have a more proven guy like Versteeg, especially since he's got a good all-around competitive and defensive reputation.

BUT, in general, there's always two schools of thought on a depth player with a top team:

1) The player had his numbers and performance inflated because of the quality of his teammates, and should be expected to look worse with lesser linemates; or
2) The player had his numbers and performance deflated by being held back and given less minutes than he would get on another team with fewer elite forwards.

So I'm wondering, what's the general impression amongst Hawks fans?

Is he a kid with untapped upside that should be tapped with him getting top line minutes and PP time? That we could expect to maybe have 25-30 goal, 60-65ish point type upside?

Or is he a solid enough gritty two-way kid with a limited offensive game, that needed the help of good linemates to even get to the 20gl/50pt level he's been at the past couple of years, and should be expected to fall off a bit on a less offensively stacked team?

Or is it a little bit of both - that he'll fall off a bit with lesser linemates, but will make up for the difference with more minutes and PP time, and come in around the same 20gl/50pt level he was at before?

I know none of us can know for sure and predict 100% - but I just wanted to get a general feel of what Hawks fans thought about him before he was traded.

And I know it's tough to see him in the same light now after he's been traded, but try and think back to what you thought he might become if Sharp had been traded and you guys had kept Versteeg and given him Sharp's minutes, maybe.

Cheers for any and all opinions.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
massivegoonery

He's one of the most exciting players in the game to watch and you guys will love him.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

His raps were never really all that great, but then again... look at his support: Madden and Ladd usually. One is married with kids and the other has the personality of a brick wall. How is he supposed to come up with cool rhymes when nobody's feeding him the puck????

Anyway, the Stanley Cup (apparently) hasn't bettered his ability to drop some sick lines (as evidenced by the Cup parade/rally), but getting top 6 minutes with Toronto he should be able to at least get signed by a major label. You guys will like him, he's a beauty... just don't pair him with Gretzky.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
He's one of the most exciting players in the game to watch and you guys will love him.
He played a lot with Madden and Buff (regular season version), so he had to create his own chances. He probably has some upside with better forwards, maybe 60-65 pts, maybe higher.

Funny thing is, when he did get a chance on the top lines, it never really clicked. It could be because he would usually have to play center or off-wing. It will be interesting to see how it goes in Toronto.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
He played a lot with Madden and Buff (regular season version), so he had to create his own chances. He probably has some upside with better forwards, maybe 60-65 pts, maybe higher.

Funny thing is, when he did get a chance on the top lines, it never really clicked. It could be because he would usually have to play center or off-wing. It will be interesting to see how it goes in Toronto.
Agree

Stats go up

Very Talented, great Vision at times, but Horrible Hockey IQ

One of the most frusterating players to watch due to neutral zone turnovers

Should get 60 pts or so, but when he is on he's great, but when he's not frusterating

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Marotte Marauder

I expect his stats to be similar. He will play bigger minutes but it will come against other teams' better lines.

We'll see how it pans out.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:52 PM
JUICEY*

Very good stickhandler but often tries too much and it gets frustrating. He does have good vision, but doesn't always make the right decisions.

I like him and I think he will get 50 points this year on Toronto.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:55 AM
EbonyRaptor

Versteeg has two negatives - one of which he could possibly improve upon (neutral zone turnovers - i.e. trying to do too much. The second negative he can't do much about and that is that he is small and easily knocked off the puck (if caught).

His positives: good skater - quick and fast, very good wrist shot - quick and accurate, dangles with the best of them, good vision and passing, good defensively - hustles and knows what to do, gritty and scrappy (especially for his size), unafraid to take a hit and go the the net.

Overall he is a plus player and easily a second liner with the right linemates. He plays well on the PK and is always a threat for scoring shorties.

On top of that he is a character guy and actually quite a character. He fit in very well with the young cast of characters the Hawks had last season.

I believe his production will go up if he gets PP time, which he didn't get too much playing on the Hawks with the guys in front of him.

I'ld be very surprised if the Leaf fans don't like him.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Brad Gardner
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I'd be very surprised if the Leaf fans don't like him.
Agreed, I believe he has 'proper levels of pugnacity' to borrow Leafs' parlance.

Brad Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Sevanston

As far as overall performance goes (playoffs and regular season combined), I think Versteeg was our biggest loss this summer. There are others that will be missed, but Steeger was just fantastic. Fun to watch, fun to hear about, fun to have around.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Is he a kid with untapped upside that should be tapped with him getting top line minutes and PP time? That we could expect to maybe have 25-30 goal, 60-65ish point type upside?
I think 25g and 65pts is a good guess for Versteeg with top line minutes. Not sure if he'll be that successful right away, but I'm confident that he can, at the least, achieve those types of numbers.

As others have noted, his biggest flaw is trying to do too much and causing neutral zone turnovers or offensive zone turnovers high at the blue line. Entering the zone, he'd often try to take a defender one on one instead of dumping it in, which especially killed us when the rest of the line was going for a change. When in the offensive zone, he would sometimes bring the puck from low to high along the boards and cut across the blue line trying to evade a defender. He would then get stick checked and an odd man rush would start.

That being said, he greatly improved in the second half of the year in using his head more and making the simple play when it was necessary. If Versteeg can keep improving in this area and dumb down the game, he'll be a very good second liner with spot duty on the first, sort of like Sharp.

It'll be fun watching him play with the Leafs and I hope he does well. Always seemed like a good guy.

Gardebut30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:35 PM
salty justice

His production will go up. I think he will easily hit 60 points with 1st line minutes in Toronto.

The catch is that he is not a 1st liner. Ideally I see him as a 60 point 2nd liner on a good team or 60 point 1st liner on a bad team. He won't lead you to the promise land but he is a very nice player to have as he is exciting and can kill penalties to boot.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

65-70 points imo in Toronto this year. I think he'll cut down on the turnovers (as most players do in their third year in the league), and he'll be a legit top 6 forward for the next few years.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Keep in mind that along with playing with Madden and Ladd (so not getting high quality offensive linemates), he also was never facing high quality defensive opposition either.

He should be able to match his production but I'd be surprised if he goes much above it.

I'd also be wary of how well he reacts to having one of the league's true jackarses for a coach too, not to mention the idiot squawkbox Phaneuf screaming at everyone constantly. Versteeg struck me as being pretty laid back.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He'll hover around 55 points for his career. Will thrill you for three games and then drive you nuts for five.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:38 PM
99 steps
to the top

Scores. Big. Goals.

I'll miss him.

99 steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
I think you are misremembering. 2 years ago when he started the year with Toews and Kane, he was at a point per game (19 points in his first 18 games) and people were raving about that line. Then our favorite line shuffler came in and screwed that up.

I don't think he has the support to pull off a point per game in Toronto any time soon though.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Versteeg has two negatives - one of which he could possibly improve upon (neutral zone turnovers - i.e. trying to do too much. The second negative he can't do much about and that is that he is small and easily knocked off the puck (if caught).
Gotta completely disagree with that too. He constantly carries the puck into traffic and uses his body to protect it very well. He gets mugged and ragdolled all over the place and still manages to hold on to the puck. Pretty remarkable really.

I am not referring to his ability to gain the blue line and get the puck in deep, which really needs some work. Just his ability to keep puck possession once the team is set up in the O zone, which I think he is awesome at.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:31 PM
HartforHoss

He could definitely get you frustrated last season, but I don't really remember ever having anything but good vibes about him the prior season. He's a creative and talented skater who plays a physical game despite lacking size. Where you would end up thinking he's a good all around two-way player, he can get into trouble turning the puck over while trying to do too much. Even when he makes some quality chances with his puck handling, that will make you jump out your seat, he'll fail to seal the deal with a wild shot too often. With a little seasoning, I think he'll be a fundamentally sound, dangerous forward regardless of where he plays.

HartforHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:14 PM
zeke
#freewilly

thanks for all the responses guy. Nice to see a fairly positive impression overall.

Still, funnily enough, he sounds like a bunch of the leafs - fast, gritty, plenty of skill.....but prone to turnovers and inconsistency. We've got a bunch of those guys.

I'm a little worried that his weaknesses will be more exposed with him expected to be one of the main producers (though he's only slotted on a 2nd line for now), but hopefully he's the kind of kid that thrives under pressure and rises to the challenge.

cheers for the opinions....and keep'em coming anyone else who wants to comment.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:35 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Gotta completely disagree with that too. He constantly carries the puck into traffic and uses his body to protect it very well. He gets mugged and ragdolled all over the place and still manages to hold on to the puck. Pretty remarkable really.

I am not referring to his ability to gain the blue line and get the puck in deep, which really needs some work. Just his ability to keep puck possession once the team is set up in the O zone, which I think he is awesome at.
Agreed. Dude will get absolutely destroyed in the corners and somehow still maintain puck possession. Its awesome (well...was awesome ).

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:07 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
thanks for all the responses guy. Nice to see a fairly positive impression overall.

Still, funnily enough, he sounds like a bunch of the leafs - fast, gritty, plenty of skill.....but prone to turnovers and inconsistency. We've got a bunch of those guys.

I'm a little worried that his weaknesses will be more exposed with him expected to be one of the main producers (though he's only slotted on a 2nd line for now), but hopefully he's the kind of kid that thrives under pressure and rises to the challenge.

If the kid didn't thrive under pressure, he never would have made it this far. He's been an underdog at every level.

He'll be a first liner on the Leafs in no time.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
If the kid didn't thrive under pressure, he never would have made it this far. He's been an underdog at every level.

He'll be a first liner on the Leafs in no time.
I agree, he won't wilt under the spotlight of being a first liner. I just don't think he can produce consistently when other teams game plan against his line.

I hope he does well, I really like his flash, quickness and offensive creativity.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:55 PM
zac

Outside of Kane, he had maybe the best one-on-one moves on the team. Sometimes he has trouble gaining the zone with the puck, but when he does he can make guys look absolutely lost in the slot area. Doesn't really attempt to get to the net much but then again he doesn't need to.

I really question his overall intelligence and wonder if he'll be able to maximize his talent because of it. He routinely makes idiotic blunders and while this should improve with time, I think he'll always be somewhat error prone. He's also a defensive floater which will drive you mad at times. Whereas Kane appears to do it (though less than in the past) out of being lackadaisical, Steeg just seems to lack the awareness. If he could somehow clean this up he could end up being close to a Patrick Sharp type player. I think you guys would be happy with that.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
salty justice

Quote:

His turnovers are usually caused by a lack of quality linemates to pass to. It's not that he is weak on the puck at all, he is absolutely amazing with it (his puck control is right up with with Toews, Kane, and Hossa). He just holds on to it too long like Afinogenov and will turn it over after undressing two guys in the neutral zone and running out of space in the corners.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote