HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick O'Sullivan wants to return a Cane (Per McKenzie)

Old
09-16-2010, 08:39 PM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Patrick O'Sullivan wants to return a Cane (Per McKenzie)

hard to believe but i trust McKenzie tweets.

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie

UFA winger Patrick O'Sullivan is on verge of signing one year, two-way contract with Carolina Hurricanes.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:49 PM
caniac247

JR did mention on the possibility of signing some guys to 2-way contract. And yeah Mckenzie is pretty reliable.

Interesting indeed. This camp is going to be very interesting.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
It's on the TSN main site now, too:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=334036

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Awesome news. This should give Skinner, Nash, or Dalpe the extra year of development they deserve. Competition of one spot now likely being the case. O'Sullivan is no throw away, either. The guy has serious skills but was pretty maligned in Edmonton.... but honestly how many guys make it out of there alive anyways.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

He will be on the team, prolly that third line center spot. Guy has some serious skill, and we tend to get the most out of guys who were in the dumps on other teams. I am excited I thought we were done.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:54 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Awesome news. This should give Skinner, Nash, or Dalpe the extra year of development they deserve. Competition of one spot now likely being the case. O'Sullivan is no throw away, either. The guy has serious skills but was pretty maligned in Edmonton.... but honestly how many guys make it out of there alive anyways.
It's really not Edmonton's fault that Patrick O'Sullivan was one of the worst players in the National Hockey League. Didn't care from day one.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's really not Edmonton's fault that Patrick O'Sullivan was one of the worst players in the National Hockey League. Didn't care from day one.
Exactly.

It won't be too long before Canes fans stop feeling giddy over this signing.

Auguste Escoffier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Exactly.

It won't be long before the Canes fans stop feeling giddy over this signing.
We'll see.... If he sucks, he'll spend the rest of the year in AHL.
We are going to have him on a two way contract after all.

It's a low risk high reward situation.

Old
09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

pointless signing, imo.

seems like it's a back up in case these young guys just arent ready..but hey, better than stephan yelle, haha

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

The guy has had 190+ shots three seasons, so he shoots more than anyone not named Staal.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
JR brings back yet another former Hurricane. I predict this one to be the next:

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I am not knocking Edmonton, but the reality that they had a TON of young players with supreme talent that did not live up to that talent is not that big of a stretch. Gagner, O'Sullivan, Cogliano, and Penner until last season have all had developmental obstacles with the Oilers.

I know you're likely to say that "well none of those players looked like they didn't care as much as O'Sullivan did", but talent not being realized is talent not being realized.

O'Sullivan should benefit from being one of the few types of young, small, skill forwards on the team where in Edmonton he was a dime a dozen. Perhaps he really didn't want to be there because he knew that it would be near impossible for him to supplant those guys. Not making excuses, just saying it's possible.

In terms of pure skill, this kid makes our hockey team better and he's only 25 years old. Far too early to call it one way or the other, especially with about 150 points in 280 games.

Old
09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
nhl_canes

Jim Rutherford on Patrick O'Sullivan: "He will be in Raleigh for a physical, and we are trying to finalize a deal."
http://twitter.com/nhl_canes/status/24721443755

BanginLikeaBiscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

I like this since I wanted to keep Dalpe and Nash in the AHL and send Skinner back to Kitchener.

This is a typical JR project.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:52 PM
bleedgreen

i saw edm live last season here in denver. one of the worst hockey teams ive ever seen in the nhl. just awful. i think everyone on the team deserves another shot in a different situation before calling it over.

not a bad move, itll keep one more guy from getting rushed. more competition the better. hes a good shooter, something we always lack.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
I like the signing, two-way deal, low risk-high reward potential here. I really see no season why O'Sullivan won't make the team which on a positive note puts a roadblock in rushing a kid when he would be better off in junior or the AHL. There is potential here for O'Sullivan to make the most of this opportunity and play alongside Staal on the top line in my opinion and also be a factor on the PP helping with the loss of Whitney's offensive contributions. Offensively, they could be a solid tandem. We'll see if O'Sullivan does what it takes to right the ship of a once highly touted offensive forward.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
dmonk
doughberle

so to recap.. in a chain of trades we've got Pitkanen, Cole, O'Sullivan... not it's only a matter of time when JWilliams wants to return a cane.

Old
09-16-2010, 09:59 PM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
We'll see.... If he sucks, he'll spend the rest of the year in AHL.
We are going to have him on a two way contract after all.

It's a low risk high reward situation.
Totally. Worst case scenario, he plays in Charlotte and then gets the boot at the end of the year.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

And if Rob Schremp can come back from the dead, then most certainly a player like O'Sullivan can.

I remember at one point he was considered the most naturally talented American player to come out in a LONG time. He still has that talent. We just need to see it over 82 games.

Old
09-16-2010, 10:21 PM
snakepliskin

this is good -VERY GOOD-a player with nhl level skill. yes, i like this very much!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I hope Sully does well in Carolina. Hard to believe, but he was still one of my favorite players here.

I love the way he plays offensively, Edmonton simply was not a fit.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:26 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Color me confused on this one, but I thought POS didn't want to touch the 'Canes with a 50' cattle prod because of his father?

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Color me confused on this one, but I thought POS didn't want to touch the 'Canes with a 50' cattle prod because of his father?
His father has since moved back to Toronto, and honestly I feel that situation may have been a bit overblown to start with. We're talking about the evolution from a scared draft eligible child of 17 to the grown man of 25 years old today. The emotional scars are obviously going to be there for a long time, but I don't think O'Sullivan blames the region. Avoiding this locale because of bad memories when the situation could help revive your career would be giving undue power to his father anyways.

And I would hate to speculate, but sometimes in the course of healing one finds the need to go backwards before they can go forwards. I hope if he does have any problems with the area, that he takes this opportunity to exercise them. He has always seemed like a good kid to me.

Old
09-16-2010, 10:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Father is back in Canada, although now that Patrick is back in NC I'm sure you can start the clock with the countdown for him to return.

Kid has talent, a lot of it. He's kindof floated around throughout his career but this is as good a place as any to illustrate why he was widely regarded as the best player not taken in the first round of the 03 draft at one point. Low risk-high reward since he's on a two-way if he indeed signs. I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
His father has since moved back to Toronto, and honestly I feel that situation may have been a bit overblown to start with. We're talking about the evolution from a scared draft eligible child of 17 to the grown man of 25 years old today. The emotional scars are obviously going to be there for a long time, but I don't think O'Sullivan blames the region. Avoiding this locale because of bad memories when the situation could help revive your career would be giving undue power to his father anyways.

And I would hate to speculate, but sometimes in the course of healing one finds the need to go backwards before they can go forwards. I hope if he does have any problems with the area, that he takes this opportunity to exercise them. He has always seemed like a good kid to me.
Check out the book by Gare Joyce, it's not overblown at all, the guy was a frigin psycho. It's always been more a matter of avoiding his father rather then avoiding the area with him. We passed him up in the 03 draft because he wasn't going to play for us as long as his dad was in Winston-Salem, now he's not so it's a non-issue. And as with any psychological issues that could be the result of what happened it's next to impossible to truly tell the full extent. As you said, hopefully coming back to NC is a bit of a catharsis for Patrick. God knows he could use one with as much as he's bounced around in his career.

Last edited by DaveG: 09-16-2010 at 10:44 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Another interesting note that somebody posted on Luke's post on Canes Now.... for those that still check it after Chip pretty much slaughtered it.

Quote:
Regarding O'Sullivan's birthplace: he was born in Toronto but raised in Winston-Salem.

"Where exactly are you from?

It's funny, I'm mentioned from being all over the place - Toronto, Michigan, North Carolina, all over the world - but I am from North Carolina. That's where I grew up, and that's where I live in the summer. Winston-Salem, North Carolina is where I'm from, and that's my hometown.

But you were actually born in Canada.

It's an unfortunate incident but, yeah I was born in Canada. My parents were there and I was born a little early...I stayed there for three days and went back home."

http://web.archive.org/web/200502132...com/sully.html

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...#ixzz0zksW0lZK
Too early to play the local kid makes good line?