HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Great reffing tonight!!!

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Heaton
#hope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Sutter used up his "talk to the ref" card during Game 2 of the Detroit series unforuntaly =p

Old
06-04-2004, 03:12 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch

What is the point of your inflamitory whine?

he is just telling the truth. And Sutter where complaining about the officiating at the pressconferance as well despite the win

Old
06-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
I didn't think the reffing was great. From a Flames perspective the Warrener penalty and the non-call on Gelinas getting hit from behind were terrible. Tampa fans probably have other complaints to add to the pile too about tonight's reffing.

You bet, I dont think we should ever have to accept a SLASH over Habby's arms when he have gloved the puck. I dont think it is acceptable with all this waterskiing either since it hurts skilled teams a LOT

Old
06-04-2004, 04:00 AM
Grizzly Adams

my point is that its alot easier to agree that the reffing was good when your team just won a huge game.

I'm also sick of all of these preaching to the chorus threads.

Old
06-04-2004, 04:11 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
And sorry I don't buy into the "he's the most recognizable figure among referees because he's been around longer so that's why controversy seems to be following him" theory. There's a reason why he's always into all kinds of controversy. There are other guys who've been around a long time and they aren't as recognized and criticized as Fraser.
You might not buy it, but it is the damn truth. More officiating controversy comes from the bigger games (playoffs). Fraser works deep into the playoffs every year. There is a reason for that.

Old
06-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
You might not buy it, but it is the damn truth. More officiating controversy comes from the bigger games (playoffs). Fraser works deep into the playoffs every year. There is a reason for that.
Guys like Gregson, McCreary and Koharski have been around for a long while too and they don't get as much crap from the players, fans and medias that Fraser gets.

Last edited by Des Louise: 06-04-2004 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old
06-04-2004, 07:40 AM
mcphee

From a neutral pespective, I found that the refs did what they always seem to do. When the Flames came out strong, I noticed a few TB takedowns on the trailer on the rush. Calgary is very adept at sensing what is fair game and started tackling the open man. The hit on Gelinas ? Sarich held up a bit, but to not penalize has to make you wonder ? I don't buy into Sutter's rant, but refs are human and I admit that I wondered if they weren't reacting to Sutter's words. Baseball umpires are famous for this. Once they let early intereference go, the tone is set for the game. I don't buy into the clutch and grab hurting the more 'skilled' Bolts, as it hurts the Flames too. They don't have the offensive depth of TB but have a lot of speed. This speed has been neutralized by just as much interference as the other side. I haven't read the game thread but I'd be curious to hear a TB fan's opinion on the non-call on Sarich.

Old
06-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Fraser : 236 playoffs games, has been a NHLOA member since 73

Koharski : 225 playoffs games, has been a NHLOA member since 77
McCreary : 207 playoffs games, has been a NHLOA member since 82

Those guys have been around too yet they don't get criticized nearly half as much.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:12 AM
QcS

From a neutral point of view, i thought the reffing was bad.. but i think the reffing has been bad all playoffs and all year long.

People think a good referee is one you don't notice.. i disagree. A good referee is someone who calls penalties (hooking, grabbing, tackling, interference) in the first, second, third and overtime.. as they would call it in a pre season game or in a regular season game.

Unfortunately, there are no such refs in the NHL nowadays. Maybe Don Cherry's constant "let them play" whines throughout the years actually worked.

The only reason there is alot of hooking, interference and grabbing in today's game is because it is allowed. It is also the reason my interest (and many others') has gone way down.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
You bet, I dont think we should ever have to accept a SLASH over Habby's arms when he have gloved the puck. I dont think it is acceptable with all this waterskiing either since it hurts skilled teams a LOT

The way you go on you'd think that this game was built on skill alone. Did you see a hockey game before these playoffs began? Not a Lightning game... a HOCKEY game. There is a lot more taught to young players now than Skating and shooting.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:27 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
They did a good job, they only made one mistake so far as I could see, the problem is their one mistake was huge and I don't see how it reasonably would've come about.

The hit from behind on Gelinas that was not called is not a mistake ????????????????

Old
06-04-2004, 08:36 AM
mcphee

Somehow SBF, I don't think that you would have liked John Ferguson a whole lot. Goalie antagonizing was in his job description. My point is that Calgary is not re-inventing some evil style of hockey. They play hard, so does TB. Personally I don't like the way Sutter and his team reacts late in games when down a few goals, but I'd hardly rate them with the dirtiest team I've seen nor the worst as far as clutching and grabbing. Toronto won 3 straight in the 60's and the complaint was that Imlach's style was ruining hockey. TB is hardly a powerhouse being deprived of their space on the ice by the evil Flames.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Dave Carlson

Quote:
Fraser : 236 playoffs games, has been a NHLOA member since 73

Koharski : 225 playoffs games, has been a NHLOA member since 77
McCreary : 207 playoffs games, has been a NHLOA member since 82

Those guys have been around too yet they don't get criticized nearly half as much.
actually, thats only relevant to certain fan bases.
as a flyers fan, i think the general conscensus is to like Fraser, and hate mccreary, but that may just be me letting Gary Dornhoffer ifluence me too much.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Egil

I also vote for hating McCreary, and Koharski is even worse.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Heavy D

Quote:
I dont think it is acceptable with all this waterskiing either since it hurts skilled teams a LOT
What is it with you? Were you watching the game in the second period when Donovan beat Cullimore cleanly? He turned around and tackled Donovan, who fell awkwardly and hurt his leg. Donovan couldn't even take a gentle nudge after that. You make it sound like TB is the only team with speed and Calgary is doing all the tackling? Donovan is a speedster who made a brilliant play and may have had his cup drive ended last night by a tackle. And you know what, kudos to Cullimore! Not for injuring Donovan, but in game 5 of the SCF, if you get beaten cleanly, you do what it takes to make sure that guy doesn't get a clean shot. If you have to take penalty, so be it.

Point is, Calgary also has a lot of speed and they're not the only team doing the tackling. But that's the way, for better or worse, the finals are played. There is no conspiracy either way, and the clutching and grabbing is being committed by both sides. And this is coming from a fan of neither team.

When I read all this whining (from both sides), I'm reminded of what Smokin' Joe Frazier once said after a loss, "You don't cry, you shut your a$$ up. You take the good with the bad and push on!"

Old
06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Btw, one thing that gets left behind is that the LINESMEN do a fantastic job. They RARELY make a mistake.

Mike Cvik is one of the best officials around.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Most probably they didn't want Fraser to be the focus of the attention... yet again.

And sorry I don't buy into the "he's the most recognizable figure among referees because he's been around longer so that's why controversy seems to be following him" theory. There's a reason why he's always into all kinds of controversy. There are other guys who've been around a long time and they aren't as recognized and criticized as Fraser.
If Fraser didn't want to be a "star" on the ice he'd put on a frickin helmet. The fact he's so recognizable has hurt him in this case. You didn't hear the fans chanting "Watson Sucks". IMO refs should be somewhat anonymous but Fraser likes to stand out. The more you stand out, the more under the gun you'll be...

Old
06-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I dont think it is acceptable with all this waterskiing either since it hurts skilled teams a LOT
So what you're saying is that the lightning don't have the speed, strength and heart to fight through checking like every team is expected to do? You're saying that they need the refs to help them out in order for them to play their skill game?

Classic

Old
06-04-2004, 10:15 AM
CaptainCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy D
What is it with you? Were you watching the game in the second period when Donovan beat Cullimore cleanly? He turned around and tackled Donovan, who fell awkwardly and hurt his leg. Donovan couldn't even take a gentle nudge after that. You make it sound like TB is the only team with speed and Calgary is doing all the tackling? Donovan is a speedster who made a brilliant play and may have had his cup drive ended last night by a tackle. And you know what, kudos to Cullimore! Not for injuring Donovan, but in game 5 of the SCF, if you get beaten cleanly, you do what it takes to make sure that guy doesn't get a clean shot. If you have to take penalty, so be it.

Point is, Calgary also has a lot of speed and they're not the only team doing the tackling. But that's the way, for better or worse, the finals are played. There is no conspiracy either way, and the clutching and grabbing is being committed by both sides. And this is coming from a fan of neither team.

When I read all this whining (from both sides), I'm reminded of what Smokin' Joe Frazier once said after a loss, "You don't cry, you shut your a$$ up. You take the good with the bad and push on!"
Well said, if the refs called the game like the all whiners and sore losers on these boards apparently want, game 5 would have been over halfway through the 2nd period, Calgary was drastically out skating and out playing TB that Tampa Bay was clutching and grabbing on for dear life....just like they did all game 4 after getting the lead ... but hey let the sore losers whine, it certainly shows their true colours.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
He should't have even gotten a game. There was a tampa player who ran Gelinas even worse and didn't get a penalty.

Good, I think Tortorella should send Roy on a headhunting mission to take Iginla out of the series then....

BTW your thinking of Stillmans hit on Nilson, and uou can throw that "logic" out the window, because Gelinas ran Kubina in game 3.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Yes

There have only been 3 games that I was dissapointing with the reffing. Game 7 vs. Vancouver, Game 6 vs. Detriot and Game 4 vs. Tampa.
what?? you wanted more from the refs in game 7 vs van? after they gave the canucks a double minor for matt cooke getting his stick lifted in the last ten minutes?

you want too much.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:03 AM
gerbilanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
Good, I think Tortorella should send Roy on a headhunting mission to take Iginla out of the series then....
Nice post, too bad Roy is too much of a clubfooted ****** to even know who Iginla is. Iggy has squeezed more skill out of his colon then Roy has in his entire family.

What's with Richards? He skates around with his stick up waiting for the one timer in his own zone. Here's a novel idea, get another aspect to your game.

Separated at birth?

Last edited by gerbilanium: 06-04-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old
06-04-2004, 02:01 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Guys like Gregson, McCreary and Koharski have been around for a long while too and they don't get as much crap from the players, fans and medias that Fraser gets.
Actually, most players will tell you he is the best referee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Btw, one thing that gets left behind is that the LINESMEN do a fantastic job. They RARELY make a mistake.
Not to take away the credit you are giving here, but the reason linesmen are not *****ed about that often is because their job involves little to no judgment. Offsides are either right or wrong...icing involves a little judgment, but the criteria for icing is quite simple.

Referees on the other hand...they exercise judgment with 9 out of every 10 penalties they call. Nearly everything they call is subject to opinion.

If Ray Scapinello had to call penalties, he wouldn't have half the public respect that he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
If Fraser didn't want to be a "star" on the ice he'd put on a frickin helmet.
Kerry Fraser started in the NHL when helmets were not required. He's not the only official to not wear a helmet today.

Old
06-04-2004, 02:02 PM
shadoz19

Reffing is always good when you win.................................

Old
06-04-2004, 02:16 PM
C Bass

I think most people think the reffing was great because it was an exciting game. I've had people who dont watch hockey talking about the game today and how much they enjoyed it. As for me I was glad they let it go during the last period and overtime cause it was fast paced with scoring chances at both ends and that was actually the first full game of the finals I've gotten to watch cause they all start at 6pm(when I start work :mad: ).

Closed Thread