HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laperiere a Free Agen this summer but...

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2004, 11:11 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Laperiere a Free Agent this summer but...

Hey guys,

first off I want to state that I am a Ian Laperiere fan and do hope that Gainey can bring him over this summer by whatever avenue necessary.

Lately I've noticed that there is increasing talk on this board of Montreal getting him this summer as a UFA. Having played 10 seasons in the NHL and making under the league average, that should indeed make him available.

However if you talk to Kings fans about getting him, they talk only of remote trade possiblities. I have a website with all FAs this summer and what groups they are in ( http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2004.html ). It seems to be very much up to date and lists Laperiere as a RFA, in the same category as say a Ribeiro.

Of those of you who think that we can get him as a UFA this summer, what is your belief that he is indeed a UFA based on? Do you have a source stating that he could be had without compensation? Are there others out there like me who think that he is apparently a RFA?

feedback appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by not quite yoda: 06-03-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old
06-04-2004, 12:06 AM
J-D

I read somewhere that Laperriere stated himself he was to be an UFA during an intermission to a reporter.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I think the difference here is his UFA status isn't automatic. He has played 10 seasons under the league's average salary so he can become a UFA if he wants to but I beleive he has to opt in. I don't know the date, but I'd guess before July 1st. If he opts in, he becomes a UFA (class VI or V, I can't quite remember).

Anyway that's my understanding of his situation, I may be wrong, but I think Laperriere definitelly has the possibility to offer his services to all the teams come July 1st if he wants to, it's up to him to use this right or accept a contract extention and stay in LA.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:18 AM
not quite yoda

that would explain things. it s just that website i gave you guys... it is sooooo up to date about tiny, negligible signings that it leads me to believe that if lappy was indeed a ufa-to-be by now... that it would be noted there.

Old
06-04-2004, 04:11 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
that would explain things. it s just that website i gave you guys... it is sooooo up to date about tiny, negligible signings that it leads me to believe that if lappy was indeed a ufa-to-be by now... that it would be noted there.

I'm not sure on this, but I think he can make his decision on his status either season is officially over or when they try qualifying him as RFA (July 1st?). So technically hes RFA - but why wouldnt he take that choise, when he knows he can much more than million elsewhere, even under dark CBA clouds.

Old
06-04-2004, 04:51 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I'm not sure on this, but I think he can make his decision on his status either season is officially over or when they try qualifying him as RFA (July 1st?). So technically hes RFA - but why wouldnt he take that choise, when he knows he can much more than million elsewhere, even under dark CBA clouds.
He probably wouldn't get anything more than 1.5-1.75 on the open market. In LA, he can live as a normal person too. In Montreal, everyone would be on him all the time and the press would be stupid. The LA atmosphere is excellent for hockey, but it's not Montreal of course. If he wants that special atmosphere, there's only a couple places for that...Canada, New York, Detroit...?

Old
06-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Although he would be a nice addition i would like to see if the habs could pick up Marc Savard.

Old
06-04-2004, 07:15 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He probably wouldn't get anything more than 1.5-1.75 on the open market. In LA, he can live as a normal person too. In Montreal, everyone would be on him all the time and the press would be stupid. The LA atmosphere is excellent for hockey, but it's not Montreal of course. If he wants that special atmosphere, there's only a couple places for that...Canada, New York, Detroit...?
So he would be making 1.5M instead of qualifying salary of 0.99M? I dont know about you, but if I had choise of getting half a million dollar raise instead of 1ooK raise that wouldnt be much of a choise.

I dont know him personally, so I cant tell what kind of personality he has, either he likes it or not. Gainey did make some moves to make media pressure little more bearable, kick reporters out from their charter flights and vocally stick up with his players (Brisebois & Theodore). I'm sure Lappy knows that too.

Also, I would like to add another intangible. Laperriere would have to settle slightly higher profile job here. Kings have Armstrong Belanger and added Essi Pirnes so he might feel his role is in decline there. Habs have one maybe even two gaping holes in their 3rd line unit, where he would fit nicely. Many pro-athletes like adding responsiblity, he could be one of those.

Oh, and he wouldnt have to pay rents for two different apartments.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Why do we want Laperiere? I think the players we have on our fourth line are about just as good. At who's expense is Laperiere going to be coming? Hopefully not Dowd's.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
Why do we want Laperiere? I think the players we have on our fourth line are about just as good. At who's expense is Laperiere going to be coming? Hopefully not Dowd's.
Juneau and Dackell need to be replaced, chances are Sundström too, retaining Down is no certainty either. Unless you're living in fantasy world theres no way all those spots can be filled using players in Habs organisation.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:40 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
The good thing about Lappy is that he is a couple of years younger than dowd.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSTRAK
The good thing about Lappy is that he is a couple of years younger than dowd.
The good thing about Laperriere is that he's tough as nails, fights and gets under the opponents' skin, a thing only Begin was able to bring last season. We could use more.

Old
06-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The good thing about Laperriere is that he's tough as nails, fights and gets under the opponents' skin, a thing only Begin was able to bring last season. We could use more.
I agree with Munchausen. Begin was an energy player and he those are the guys that lift your team on occasion. Anybody that would stick up for a teammate is good enough for me...I don't necessarily mean fight, but get your nose dirty a few times to show your teammates that you care. Guys like Dackell and Juneau and Sundstrom are decent hockey players, but I'd rather have a heart and soul guy anyday of the week.

If in fact Laperriere is a UFA (or will opt to be) I'd welcome him with open arms!

Cap

Closed Thread