HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-28-2010, 02:28 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
I agree. As the centreman, Hodgson would just have to feed the forwards the puck and initiate the play... he could act as the trailer and take a pass on an odd man rush while still being in good position to get back if the play dies.

That said, being a centre is a lot of responsibility. I don't think he's ready for that especially with him being eased into game-play, so I don't mind that he's on Kesler's wing.
He actually looked out of place at winger. A lot obviously had to do with it being his first game and not his natural position but he kept drifting in and out of playing the center iceman. We all know Kesler becomes a better offensive player when put on the wing but he does lose the Selke (runner up) level defense.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:35 AM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Hodgson played pretty well to me, obviously not playing for how long and overcoming those injuries would affect his play. How could it not? He did look rusty and a little behind at times but he showed some good flashes of poise and good effort. He even had a few good scoring chances.

He will only get better for so many reasons. Adjusting to the NHL intensity, getting his timing and legs back, and learning the style of play asked of AV. Playing on the wing we may see how that goes, but I pretty happy that he can learn a lot playing with Kesler.

PS: I would like to see him playing center for next game...

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Bobby Lu

Anyone else surprised how he was engaging in contact? He did not shy away one bit. Even at scrums after the whistle he would have shoving matches with oiler players.

I saw him throw hits (small ones) and take the body in order to maintain puck possession or attempt to seperate the puck from a defender. I always thought he was a softer player.

Bobby Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Verviticus

His physical play is entirely utilitarian rather than designed to accomplish anything but "get the puck" or "keep the puck". He's soft like Toews is soft - he'll go into an area to get possession but he's not going to level someone. I think he lacks the mean streak required to really want to crush someone.

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Tom.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
His physical play is entirely utilitarian rather than designed to accomplish anything but "get the puck" or "keep the puck". He's soft like Toews is soft - he'll go into an area to get possession but he's not going to level someone. I think he lacks the mean streak required to really want to crush someone.
Hmm... that doesn't sound soft to me. It sounds rather like something a smart skilled player would do to use their abilities. One does not need a mean streak to do that.

Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
Is that a bad thing, especially at his size and style of play.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Is that a bad thing, especially at his size and style of play.
I don't think it is. He's more physical than either of the Sedins were when they were rookies.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:01 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I don't think it is. He's more physical than either of the Sedins were when they were rookies.
I don't think it is either, was wondering his stance.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

I hope they put Hodgson with the twins at some point this pre-season...

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler View Post
I hope they put Hodgson with the twins at some point this pre-season...
I think if he shows improvement with Kesler and Raymond he should get a shot because we know the other players, Sammy, Burrows(When he comes) have some chemistry with the other lines.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

James Duthie put out a column today about Gary Roberts' summer training program that Hodgson, Steve Stamkos and a bunch of other young players took part in this year. Not too much about Hodgson himself, but it's apparent that he worked really hard this summer. Anyways it's a fun read if nothing else.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=335457

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I would really like to see him stay with Kesler and Raymond. I just know that line has potential and frees up the Canucks lines in so many ways. Addds alot of depth when Burrows returns.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
presilo

Apparently Dan Tencer is backtracking on Twitter, saying he hasn't heard anything first hand regarding Hodgson's supposed attitude problems...which is a far cry from his 'talking to veteran Moose players' and 'I'm told he's changed his personality' claims from Monday night.

Those who are interested in listening to it themselves can check out 630 CHED's Audio Vault.

http://www.630ched.com/Other/audiovault.html

Select Monday, September 26th and then jump ahead to about the 52:00 minute mark for a Hodgson interview/Tencer's comments.

presilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:07 PM
AndyPipkin

^ Is any of that really shocking.

Old
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
presilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ Is any of that really shocking.
No. But it is good to see him squirm and be held accountable for his BS.

presilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by presilo View Post
No. But it is good to see him squirm and be held accountable for his BS.
I concur

Old
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Karl Hungus

From the one game Hodgson played in Edmonton I got the feeling that he's going to spend some time in Manitoba this season.

His lacking first stride seems to make it hard for him to get the time and space he needs at the NHL level. There was one play where he wound it up and tried to go coast to coast. He got moving at a pretty good pace but took him longer to get to the top gear. He looks like he'll have to work hard like the Sedins to improve his skating since it's not coming as naturally as with some other players.

What I found encouraging was his ability to make a play in tight spaces. Even when he was getting bumped and pressured he was able to move the puck and avoid turning over.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
From the one game Hodgson played in Edmonton I got the feeling that he's going to spend some time in Manitoba this season.

His lacking first stride seems to make it hard for him to get the time and space he needs at the NHL level. There was one play where he wound it up and tried to go coast to coast. He got moving at a pretty good pace but took him longer to get to the top gear. He looks like he'll have to work hard like the Sedins to improve his skating since it's not coming as naturally as with some other players.
Always interesting how people focus on what a player can't do vs. what they can.

While it may be true that Hodgson isn't the fastest skater on the ice, that didn't stop him from being involved in quite a few scoring chances in his first game.

In fact had his timing been better he probably would have picked up a point or 2.

A confident and up to speed Hodgson scores on that goal line feed from Ballard, 9 times out of 10.

He also had numerous other passing / shooting opportunities where he flubbed it just a little.

His biggest problem the other night was timing and confidence not foot speed.

Although I agree that his skating could still use some work. Frankly I think he will get another notch quicker just by getting into game shape.

Look what not being in top form seems to have done to Ballards foot speed.

That said I do agree that Hodgson will most likely start with the Moose. Getting his confidence and conditioning back might well be easier to do at the AHL level.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Jobal

Quote:

What I found encouraging was his ability to make a play in tight spaces. Even when he was getting bumped and pressured he was able to move the puck and avoid turning over.
That's always been the knock on his skating. I noticed that as well, but it was on a transition play where he had trouble turning around and accelerating again. Once he's in stride he's not too bad.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Always interesting how people focus on what a player can't do vs. what they can.
Well, I did give him props for being able to make a good play when he's being pressured by a defender. That counts for a lot. He's obviously a great athlete but his acceleration was an issue. What I noticed is that he was always making plays in a phone booth because he didn't have the good first step to get himself a little separation from whoever was covering him. I'm sure that you are correct in that he's rusty. I just think he'll end up shaking off that rust in Manitoba considering how competitive this training camp is. He's not a naturally gifted skater but we've seen with the Sedins that can improve with hard off-season training.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Alan Jackson

I think the Canucks have to be mindful of the fact that Hodgson is bound to get better, and once his timing and conditioning are where they need to be, they could have a very good player on their hands.

Maybe even if he's not able to contribute as much as you'd like early on, you're better off giving him NHL minutes than having him play in Manitoba. If he's not hurting you defensively, you can probably afford to play him on a 3rd line with some spot duty on special teams, and maybe by November or December, he's ready to start showing the type of form everybody expects.

Look at the rookie season of Steven Stamkos, for example. Obvioulsy two different players, but Stamkos really struggled in the first half, but the team stuck with him, and he rewarded that patience with a monster second half.

I do agree that Hodgson will need to show a little more than he did in the first game, but I hope he's not in a position where he needs to get points in all three remaining exhibition games to earn a spot. I think the production will come.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I think the Canucks have to be mindful of the fact that Hodgson is bound to get better, and once his timing and conditioning are where they need to be, they could have a very good player on their hands.

Maybe even if he's not able to contribute as much as you'd like early on, you're better off giving him NHL minutes than having him play in Manitoba. If he's not hurting you defensively, you can probably afford to play him on a 3rd line with some spot duty on special teams, and maybe by November or December, he's ready to start showing the type of form everybody expects.
But will it be easier for Hodgson to re-gain his game at the AHL level where the competition isn't quite as fierce and he'll play a bigger role? Could be best for everyone involved if Hodgson gets a half season on the farm - 40 games should be enough to get him up to speed for a playoff run with the Canucks.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Well, I did give him props for being able to make a good play when he's being pressured by a defender. That counts for a lot. He's obviously a great athlete but his acceleration was an issue. training.

I don't disagree that improving his skating would help (his strength on the puck could improve as well). Those things however can take a long time to improve significantly.

The reason I took exception to your post because you made it sound like he wouldn't play in the NHL until he got a good bit quicker, that's what I disagree with.

I think he can play in the NHL once he gets in better shape and gets his timing back. i.e sooner rather then later.

His strength and speed will improve slightly when he gets into playing shape and his puck skills will improve dramatically when he gains confidence.

Once those things happen he's an NHL caliber player IMO.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
But will it be easier for Hodgson to re-gain his game at the AHL level where the competition isn't quite as fierce and he'll play a bigger role? Could be best for everyone involved if Hodgson gets a half season on the farm - 40 games should be enough to get him up to speed for a playoff run with the Canucks.
I think the Canucks really want Hodgson to be able to play on the second line, and not look out of place. I think they are realizing that they are going to have to start Sammuelsson with the Sedins, and I think they want Torres with Malholtra on the third line. There really isn't anyone left to play with Raymond and Kesler.

The thing with Hodgson is that he has demonstrated he is strong enough to play in the NHL, he protected the puck well and wasn't terrible on the forecheck. Playing with two defensively responsible players like Kesler and Raymond, that are also very good offensively, would be a perfect fit for Hodgson. He wouldn't need to be a go to guy, and could just work on the fundamentals. I think it would be a good situation for him to grow.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Shareefruck

I can't help but think that he would be a better fit with the Sedins, but you don't want to put him in that situation.

I've actually been more impressed with his speed than his strength, he seems to be keeping up just fine-- but is still having some understandable trouble outmuscling checks.

I think he's shown the physical abilities that make me confident he'll make the team, though-- with his smarts, his hockey sense/mental game and intensity is definitely going to come with time, IMO-- the important thing is that he's shown he can keep up and doesn't get pushed around too easily.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote