HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
But will it be easier for Hodgson to re-gain his game at the AHL level where the competition isn't quite as fierce and he'll play a bigger role? Could be best for everyone involved if Hodgson gets a half season on the farm - 40 games should be enough to get him up to speed for a playoff run with the Canucks.
That's certainly a possibility, and I certainly don't think it's a disaster if Hodgson has to spend some time in Winnipeg, but I really want him to see him make this team.

As it stands, I think he might be a better player right now than any of Glass, Hordichuk, Rypien, or Bolduc and before too long, he might be more effective than guys like Torres and Hansen, too.

We'll see. I think the bottom line is that the NHL is going to be an adjustment for anybody, especially a player that's coming off a major injury. I guess it's a matter of whether they think Hodgson hurts them while he adjusts, of if they're better with other players in the line-up.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
We'll see. I think the bottom line is that the NHL is going to be an adjustment for anybody, especially a player that's coming off a major injury. I guess it's a matter of whether they think Hodgson hurts them while he adjusts, of if they're better with other players in the line-up.
I would think they're more worried about hurting Hodgson than him hurting the team. It won't do Cody any good to play him 10:00 a night when he's played so little hockey over the past year. He needs big minutes in all situations to get back up to speed.

IMO Cody won't start the year in Vancouver but he'll finish it there - probably as the 4th line centre.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:52 AM
crobro

dont be shocked if he demands to be traded if sent down to the moose

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:54 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
actually my shock meter would explode

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:01 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
actually my shock meter would explode
Mine too. And if he does, then he can go gently caress himself out of here.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:05 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I'd be shocked.

Everything we've heard about Hodgson since before he was drafted, everything everyone who has known him - from Gillis, Gagner, Quinn, Butler, Roberts, etc - have talked about... everything Hodgson has said himself - all of that points to him not being the type of player that would demand a trade.

Considering how everyone in the hockey world speaks so highly about this kid's character, maturity, intelligence and integrity, it would be shocking if he, as a 20 YO, who hasn't earned a thing yet, would demand anything from the franchise.

There isn't one sign out there that would suggest otherwise... well outside the completely fabricated media stories that haven't been backed up by anyone involved in the game.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:34 AM
crobro

cody hodgson mentioned after the game that he was skating fine ,felt fine and needed to get more in the game offensively.

vigneault put him on the 4th line to start the 3rd period.

after the game vigneault told the media that cody needs to step it up on offense and that whoever plays on that second line is gonna have to score in the last 2 games of the pre-season.cody will not be scoring much if he plays on the 4th line

codys response after the game troubles me.he feels he is 100 percent which is clearly not the case.he never says hes improving or looking to improve and try to make the team in any of his interviews.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:44 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
cody hodgson mentioned after the game that he was skating fine ,felt fine and needed to get more in the game offensively.

after the game vigneault told the media that cody needs to step it up on offense and that whoever plays on that second line is gonna have to score in the last 2 games of the pre-season.cody will not be scoring much if he plays on the 4th line

codys response after the game troubles me.he feels he is 100 percent which is clearly not the case.he never says hes improving or looking to improve and try to make the team in any of his interviews.
Hodgson had 5 of 6 periods on the 2nd line so it's not like it's coaching fault. Hodgson needs more games and I really don't think 2 more games will get it done. I really think it'll be best for Hodgson to play for the Moose. Hodgson has looked good out there and not out of place at all but he's missed a season of hockey, he shouldn't be rushed to the NHL, let him develop in Manitoba it'll be great for him.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:46 AM
B-rock

Quote:

Enough with the conspiracy theories. He is 100 percent health wise, but conditioning no.
No kid is going to talk themselves off the team by saying, "yeah, it would be better for my game for me to get sent down." Obviously, you cant think like that.

There's not a chance in hell that he asks to be traded if he were sent down. Talk about a career wrecker.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:58 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Hodgson reminds me of a young Sedin. He has the smarts and everything but man is he slow. His first stride is brutal. Players are going to blow right past him in the neutral zone.

I know he hasn't been able to train and that means he hasn't been able to work on his skating. To be honest he doesn't look much better than he did two years ago. Still a step behind, still not producing any chances. Raymond and Kesler were flying around making stuff happen while Hodgson looked lost.

He needs to start in Manitoba and play some games. Get back into the flow and get up to speed, whatever that speed is for him. Call him up in January and give him a shot in the top 6 and move a guy like Sammy or Burrows to the third line. He'll be much more NHL ready and we'll be deeper because of it.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:01 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Hodgson reminds me of a young Sedin. He has the smarts and everything but man is he slow. His first stride is brutal. Players are going to blow right past him in the neutral zone.

I know he hasn't been able to train and that means he hasn't been able to work on his skating. To be honest he doesn't look much better than he did two years ago. Still a step behind, still not producing any chances. Raymond and Kesler were flying around making stuff happen while Hodgson looked lost.

He needs to start in Manitoba and play some games. Get back into the flow and get up to speed, whatever that speed is for him. Call him up in January and give him a shot in the top 6 and move a guy like Sammy or Burrows to the third line. He'll be much more NHL ready and we'll be deeper because of it.
I never remember seeing Hodgson looking lost out there, I think you mixing that up with reading the plays and playing solid defensive game.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:04 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideHerHard View Post
I never remember seeing Hodgson looking lost out there, I think you mixing that up with reading the plays and playing solid defensive game.
What did he do in the offensive zone?

He had plenty of chances to get open for Raymond and Kesler and didn't. He's alright in his own zone which is great for a rookie.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:15 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
What did he do in the offensive zone?

He had plenty of chances to get open for Raymond and Kesler and didn't. He's alright in his own zone which is great for a rookie.
He did fine he just needs more time, which we really don't have. I think he should go to the Moose but I really wont be shocked if he stays.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:24 AM
CAPiTA

I think people are a bit too hung up on him making the team or not making it. Remember, we can play him for 9 games in the regular season and see how he adjusts. I don't think 4 games is truly enough to for him to get back into the swing of things nor is it enough for the coaching staff to get a good read on him. Thats why you keep him on the opening night roster and see how he does. If he does well to start off the season, keep him up. If not, send him to Winnipeg and let him tear the AHL apart with Schroeder. Its simple as that.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:33 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideHerHard View Post
He did fine he just needs more time, which we really don't have. I think he should go to the Moose but I really wont be shocked if he stays.
Yeah it's too bad he didn't get to start camp on time. He'd have an extra game or two under his belt as well as 3-4 practices and maybe even rookies games.

Being placed on the 4th line to start the third was a pretty good sign that he wasn't doing enough to impress AV.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
I think people are a bit too hung up on him making the team or not making it. Remember, we can play him for 9 games in the regular season and see how he adjusts. I don't think 4 games is truly enough to for him to get back into the swing of things nor is it enough for the coaching staff to get a good read on him. Thats why you keep him on the opening night roster and see how he does. If he does well to start off the season, keep him up. If not, send him to Winnipeg and let him tear the AHL apart with Schroeder. Its simple as that.
Zero, nine or eighty-two his contract counts this season. It doesn't make sense to keep him on the roster and risk losing someone like Tambo who has done more to deserve a spot.

Last edited by Wayne Maki: 09-29-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Wayne Maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:50 AM
MS

Can't believe that people want this player on the roster given what we've seen.

He's not in game shape and has done zilch in 2 games so far despite being handed top-6 icetime for 5 of those 6 periods. Hasn't even shown a glimpse of any sort of dynamic skill.

Hodgson is a long way from being an NHL top-6 forward at this point. He thinks the game well enough to not look 'bad' out there but needs to get a lot stronger and quicker in the AHL before he'll be a contributor here.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:23 AM
crobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

He's not in game shape and has done zilch in 2 games so far despite being handed top-6 icetime for 5 of those 6 periods. Hasn't even shown a glimpse of any sort of dynamic skill.

Hodgson is a long way from being an NHL top-6 forward at this point. He thinks the game well enough to not look 'bad' out there but needs to get a lot stronger and quicker in the AHL before he'll be a contributor here.
i agree

Old
09-29-2010, 04:16 AM
timorousme
luongod

I really don't think the AHL is a bad thing for Cody if he starts the year to shake off the rust and develop some chemistry with schroeder

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Bang on.

I guarantee you if there were no numbers or names on the back of the jerseys and every player wore masks, we'd all be quite unimpressed with him.

In my mind, if he's not clearly better than BMo/Hansen/Torres, which he clearly isn't, he shouldn't even be considered.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:35 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
It's no surprise. Expectations fuelled by good wishes can rocket off into the stratosphere without effort.

They play good hockey in the AHL. Hodgson has a great deal of promise. This franchise has no need to rush thier prospects. All good.

If it was my franchise I might consider Morrison a playing coach and send him down to mentor Hodgson when Burrows returns. It's not unfair to the player, another team might claim him off waivers and prolong his career. Otherwise, he could be a big help on the farm. Keane is gone, now.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:54 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Bang on.

I guarantee you if there were no numbers or names on the back of the jerseys and every player wore masks, we'd all be quite unimpressed with him.
Solid but unspectacular. If he wasn't a name, we might be considering him for a bottom 6 but not much more. The fact is he is a name with a ceiling that is much higher than we have seen so far. Since a lot more can be expected from him the idea of keeping him around for an extended look is not unreasonable provided it doesn't mean losing a solid player to waivers. That to me is the issue: how big is the cost of testing Hodgson at NHL level.

Quote:
In my mind, if he's not clearly better than BMo/Hansen/Torres, which he clearly isn't, he shouldn't even be considered.
He's clearly behind them atm but he isn't a threat to their spot.

sedin sedin sammy
ray kes ???
Torres Malhotra Hansen (what ever line he's on)
Glass Mo ???

His competition right now is Tambellini, Rypien, Hordi, Oreskovich. None of whom anyone should cry about missing the team.

I'd like to see Hodgson get some games at centre to see how he goes when in his natural spot, if still can't show much then he needs time in the minors.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Connecticut

Quote:
Why do people insist on making stupid stuff up?

Cody Hodgson post-game:
Quote:
"All I can ask for is to be involved in the game," said Hodgson, who logged 11:33. "Coming into camp, it was getting healthy enough to be able to play and it doesn't matter if it's in Manitoba or here. I want to get involved in the game. Regardless, I'm happy to be with these guys and I've learned a lot from them."

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
Why do people insist on making stupid stuff up?

Cody Hodgson post-game:
What I find most telling about this is that Hodgson clearly recognizes his status. The kid plays a pretty cerebral game and I appreciate that he understands he may have to get his game together down in Winnipeg.

If this wasn't such a good, deep team Hodgson would definitely make it out of camp. But high draft picks can't walk onto the Canucks anymore...just ask Schroeder.

The more I see of Hodgson the more I like his character. And after the season he had a couple of years ago the expectations were raised to a fever pitch. Although a lost year of development has been huge, I think he's going to have a great future with the Canucks.

As for the post that he would somehow demand a trade? Nope. Not going to happen.

I expect him back on the big team later this season.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Reign Nateo

It should not be considered a negative to see Hodgson start the year in the AHL. He's barely 20 and has played all of 24 games total the last year or so, he needs some time to get his game back. Having a microscope on his every move isn't going to help that. I'm a little dissapointed he hasn't shown more, but it's to be expected really, he's a step behind. Wouldn't hurt for him to build up some chemistry with Jordan Schroeder either.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote