HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroshaugFan2 View Post
Zero, nine or eighty-two his contract counts this season.
Does it? I was under the impression that he could play less than ten regular season or playoff games for the big club without moving a year closer to UFA eligibility. I mean, of course the "contract counts" but paying his salary at the moment is not really the issue.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Does it? I was under the impression that he could play less than ten regular season or playoff games for the big club without moving a year closer to UFA eligibility. I mean, of course the "contract counts" but paying his salary at the moment is not really the issue.
Only matters if he's going back to junior, but since he'd be headed to the Moose, the professional contract still counts.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:00 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
It should not be considered a negative to see Hodgson start the year in the AHL. He's barely 20 and has played all of 24 games total the last year or so, he needs some time to get his game back. Having a microscope on his every move isn't going to help that. I'm a little dissapointed he hasn't shown more, but it's to be expected really, he's a step behind. Wouldn't hurt for him to build up some chemistry with Jordan Schroeder either.
I think that's the best thing...Shirokov Hodgson Schroeder building some chemistry together and being the "kid line" on the Moose would do wonders for each of those guys I think.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Only matters if he's going back to junior, but since he'd be headed to the Moose, the professional contract still counts.
It also matters when you are calculating games for waiver eligibility since it depends upon years since first signing the ELC OR the number of NHL games played.
http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
CAPiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I was about to make this point. If he plays 9 games or less in the NHL this season then he will not lose a year towards free agency.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I have read through alot of responses and one thing I believe gets lost in the comparative aspect or even our expectations is that he is not playing on a team that is rebuilding. What I mean is the Avs, or Hawks or Oilers were all in rebuild and players like Toews, Kane, Hall, Duschene were not competing with alot of other players for ice time. Most important though is that is has only played 2 games!

I just think this is not taken into consideration alot of times. I personally think he has been fine. Only 2 games. That is all.

How can we possibly know his potential or what he may do after only 2 games?

2 games.

He has only played 2 games. I think we should wait and see how he is after the 9 game mark of the regular season. The other aspect as well is that he is not hurting the team. While unspectacular he has been average, but as some mentioned still better than the bottom options.

Let him play, get used to the NHL, adjust, adapt and get better.

Last edited by Biggest Canuck Fan: 09-29-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I have read through alot of responses and one thing I believe gets lost in the comparative aspect or even our expectations is that he is not playing on a team that is rebuilding. What I mean is the Avs, or Hawks or Oilers were all in rebuild and were not competing with alot of other players for ice time. Most important though is that is has only played 2 games!

I just think this is not taken into consideration alot of times. I personally think he has been fine. Only 2 games. That is all.

How can we possibly know his potential or what he may do after only 2 games?

2 games.

He has only played 2 games. I think we should wait and see how he is after the 9 game mark of the regular season. The other aspect as well is that he is not hurting the team. While unspectacular he has been average, but as some mentioned still better than the bottom options.

Totally agree... you can see he has great instincts in all zones and hear that he wants this bad. He just needs to get his game back together after a really difficult 16 months.

I could see them keeping him here for 9 games and giving him a confidence boost and then let him rip up the AHL with Schroeder for a season.

They can bring him up after the trade deadline or for the playoffs and go from there.

I for one can't wait to see this kid when he's on top of his game. I remember the Sedins when they first arrived and they looked like they were in WAY over their heads. Cody looks like the Sedins in their 3rd year and seeing how much their skating has improved from that time... wowzers.

Cody's going to be a gem... lets not rush the kid.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Shareefruck

I'm definitely in disagreement with you guys about Hodgson-- he doesn't look GREAT yet, but I really like his progression in the first two games. If he were battling for a spot with Hansen, Torres, Malhotra, etc... then yeah, send him down-- but I like the polish and promise his game shows (not from his potential but from the two games we've seen) more than I've liked Tambellini, Schaefer, or our potential 4th line guys. He hasn't been really making a push for it like those guys, but he's played a more understated, controlled game so far, IMO. I like Tambellini's hustle and energy in terms of the preseason, but he's still playing a game that I don't think translates into what we want in the regular season.

I would extend Hodgson's preseason a few games into the regular season and give him some time on the 3rd line until Burrows comes back. I don't think his showing is similar to Schroeder's at all (Jordon definitely looks like the Moose can help him alot). Hodgson's fundamentals look very serviceable at this point, IMO.

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Hansen
Torres - Malhotra - Hodgson
Glass - Morrison - Oreskovich

His puck control, not being pushed around, ability to keep up, defensive play, and ability to move the puck smoothly on the powerplay has looked good enough to earn him a temporary spot IMO. Re-evaluate whether he should be sent down (by comparing his play to Hansen and Torres) when Burrows returns (which should be shortly)-- But it looks like nobody agrees with me.

Basically I'm thinking 5-10 games on the 3rd line, sent to the Moose, does well with Schroeder-- gets called back up at about 30-40 game mark, and I'd expect he'd be good enough to be on this team.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 09-29-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:37 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post

The 9 game mark doesn't apply to the AHL...just junior leagues. He burns a year of his ELC if h goes to the AHL IIRC.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'm definitely in disagreement with you guys about Hodgson-- he doesn't look GREAT yet, but I really like his progression in the first two games. If he were battling for a spot with Hansen, Torres, Malhotra, etc... then yeah, send him down-- but I like the polish and promise his game shows (not from his potential but from the two games we've seen) more than I've liked Tambellini, Schaefer, or our potential 4th line guys. He hasn't been really making a push for it like those guys, but he's played a more understated, controlled game so far, IMO. I like Tambellini's hustle and energy in terms of the preseason, but he's still playing a game that I don't think translates into what we want in the regular season.

I would extend Hodgson's preseason a few games into the regular season and give him some time on the 3rd line until Burrows comes back. I don't think his showing is similar to Schroeder's at all (Jordon definitely looks like the Moose can help him alot). Hodgson's fundamentals look very good at this point, IMO.

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Hansen
Torres - Malhotra - Hodgson
Glass - Morrison - Oreskovich

His puck control, not being pushed around, ability to keep up, defensive play, and ability to move the puck smoothly on the powerplay has looked good enough to earn him a temporary spot IMO. Re-evaluate whether he should be sent down (by comparing his play to Hansen and Torres) when Burrows returns (which should be shortly)-- But it looks like nobody agrees with me.
I agree with you.

However, I don't think that means he'll stick with the club. I think he will be here for the remainder of the preseason. He is progressing and the ability is most certainly there, but I think he will need more than just the preseason to get himself back up to speed, which is why I think sending him to Manitoba will be a good thing. Get him used to playing big minutes in all key situations so he can come up to the Canucks when he is ready and have him be set for a potentially large role.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Anyone know what the line up is for tonights game and if Hodgson will be playing?.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideHerHard View Post
Anyone know what the line up is for tonights game and if Hodgson will be playing?.
Yes, he's playing. See the GDT.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:25 PM
iamtherunner

In the game last night I thought Hodgson was solid, not spectacular but he looked decent. I think he certainly could play in the NHL this year and do fine, but I'm starting to think more and more that he should go down to the Moose and get back into top game shape in a less demanding situation.

He has been out for a quite a while and I think the best thing for him would be to go to Manitoba, learn how to be a pro, get his confidence up, and play big minutes centering a top line getting time on the top power play unit.

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
The 9 game mark doesn't apply to the AHL...just junior leagues. He burns a year of his ELC if h goes to the AHL IIRC.
OK my mistake. I would burn a year of the ELC if it meant by the 40 game mark he was an NHL regular. I do understand the AHL side as him going down there and playing is a big thing. It does make sense from a developement point of view.

I do look at it this way. 40 games in the AHL at 15-18 minutes, vs 10-13 minutes of the NHL level.

What serves him better? What will make him more NHL ready? Are the Canucks better with him in the lineup, or worse? Who amoung the players strying for a spot on the team are better than Cody?

The fact that AV has said he thinks Cody should be better, but as well that no other player has grabbed the bull by the horn tells me it is his job to lose.

And for the record I am all for giving him NHL 10-13 minutes. He is the type of player that is smart enough to adjust. Yes the speed is an issue, but he will get better. How can you know what you need to do to play at the level when you are playing at a level below the NHL?

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
I was about to make this point. If he plays 9 games or less in the NHL this season then he will not lose a year towards free agency.
That is not correct. If Hod(g)son plays in the AHL that counts as year against his UFA date.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
lush
@jasonlush

He doesn't have any real weaknesses in his game that can't be explained by his back injury, his general lack of pro (NHL) experience and the fact he's only been cleared to play recently.

I really don't think it matters too much where he plays at the start of next month to be honest. I would bet good money he will split time between the NHL and the AHL this season and whether he starts here and goes down when Burrows is back, or starts here and gets called up when another injury occurs doesn't really matter.

I can tell by watching him play that he's good at making really smart plays, he doesn't really make any mistakes and he clearly has quite a bit of experimenting to do. You see him test out his slap shot and things like that, he's still figuring a lot of things out and it's admirable he can do that at this level without screwing up at all.

His passing skills, and hockey sense makes him a great asset to plug into our top 9 anytime really. He obviously doesn't have to clear waivers either. He's got a real maturity to his game which is exciting to see, he seems wiser than his NHL games played indicates.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Renzor

Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Zach Parise
Shea Weber
Bobby Ryan
Duncan Keith...

There's many more great NHL talents that have spent time in the AHL prior to breaking into the big show and the uproar over CoHo potentially spending time in the minors demonstrates how comical these forums can be whenever anything requiring any sort of thought process is discussed.

Renzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:47 PM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzor View Post
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Zach Parise
Shea Weber
Bobby Ryan
Duncan Keith...

There's many more great NHL talents that have spent time in the AHL prior to breaking into the big show and the uproar over CoHo potentially spending time in the minors demonstrates how comical these forums can be whenever anything requiring any sort of thought process is discussed.
Uproar seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Most people know that if he did get a spot, he would only be playing till Burrows returns, unless he played like he really really belongs there. Some people just think he may get back into game form faster playing with the Canucks instead of the Moose for those 9 games.

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Zach Parise
Shea Weber
Bobby Ryan
Duncan Keith...

What uproar? The vast majority of people here are saying he should go down. I haven't seen anyone aggressively arguing otherwise.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
I haven't seen anyone aggressively arguing otherwise.
There needs to be an "anymore" in there somewhere...

This (correct) attitude of "it's ok for Hodson to spend time in Manitoba" is a recent development for most posters - when this was suggested in earlier times, the suggestion and suggestors were mocked as being overly negative and as having declared Hodson a "bust".

Old
09-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Zach Parise
Shea Weber
Bobby Ryan
Duncan Keith...

I don't think it's any sort of huge crisis if Hodgson is sent down. Ultimately, maybe that's where he needs to be to get his game NHL ready. But I think it's a tad premature to suggest he needs to be sent down immediately. I think he's been average at best, but I don't think he's hurting the team, either.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest Hodgson be given a couple of more opportunities before that decision is made, especially considering his circumstances suggest he may need a little longer to show his best game.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:56 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
There needs to be an "anymore" in there somewhere...

This (correct) attitude of "it's ok for Hodson to spend time in Manitoba" is a recent development for most posters - when this was suggested in earlier times, the suggestion and suggestors were mocked as being overly negative and as having declared Hodson a "bust".
No, the people actually declaring Hodgson a bust were being mocked.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:12 PM
presilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
That is not correct. If Hod(g)son plays in the AHL that counts as year against his UFA date.
His name is Hodgson, with the 'g.'

presilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Proto

On the one hand, I am inclined to say that from what I've seen, Hodgson would probably benefit from going to Maintoba for the first quarter to half of the season, simply because he needs to get his conditioning/skating back to where it was before he had this injury.

On the other hand, I do think people are being a bit quick to dismiss Hodgson as "not ready". Thus far, he's played two games out of position, on a line that really doesn't suit his playstyle, and he's coming off a year with pretty close to no hockey. I think a lot of people pay lip service to the idea that players coming off injury or long layoffs will take awhile to get up to speed (see: Sundin, Mats) or that pre-season doesn't mean much, but then immediately jump on a guy for not performing at mid-season form (see: Ballard, Keith).

So I'd really like to make an argument for Hodgson to make the team, just because I find this to be slightly irksome. However, at this point, I think he needs a month or two to get up to speed. I am going to resist making a final judgement until I see him play some time at centre tonight. Despite playing last night and the travel do San Jose, I think we might see some jump from him this game.

If he ultimately needs that extra time to get ready, I think it's a good sign for the Canucks: the depth in the organization is there right now. We have some capable players like Tambo or BMo to step into the line-up and be a net positive right now. We also have a farm system with enough decent talent (Schroeder, probably Perrault, Connauton, etc.) that Hodgson can go to the Moose, play on the top line, and hopefully be part of what should be a very capable power play.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote