HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzor View Post
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Zach Parise
Shea Weber
Bobby Ryan
Duncan Keith...

There's many more great NHL talents that have spent time in the AHL prior to breaking into the big show and the uproar over CoHo potentially spending time in the minors demonstrates how comical these forums can be whenever anything requiring any sort of thought process is discussed.
I don't think that thought process is in question. In fact I find it frustrating when people state what they think a person means. I do not mean to stick Cody in the Canucks lineup because the AHL would be bad for him.

I put him in the Canucks lineup as he is the best option they have at helping them win hockey games. he also develops and plays at the NHL level, which for his very apparent and obvious Hockey IQ will be key to his development and transition to the pro game.

Him on the 4th line is fone by me. I am also fine with him being sent down, and signing BMo for the same dollars and playing BMo on the 4th line.

In fact I would argue that is the only upgrade to Cody right now.

But please don't generalize your interpretation of what you think someone, or EVERYONE is saying when it is not the fact!

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by presilo View Post
His name is Hodgson, with the 'g.'
Pronounced without the "g" - Last training camp he clarified the pronunciation of his family with local media, asserting that the 'g' in his name is silent (ie. Hod-son).
"Training camp notes: Cody Hod-son sets record straight". The Province (2009-09-16).

Also by Botchford:
Quote:
Cody Hodgson shocker: You don't know his name

Hodgson is actually pronounced Hod-son.

"Yes, the G is silent," Hodgson said. "Some people have dropped the G altogether to make it less confusing. That's how you pronounce my name and that's how I prefer it.

"But there are so many people saying Hodge-son, what am I going to do?"
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-his-name.aspx

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 09-29-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:38 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I don't think that thought process is in question. In fact I find it frustrating when people state what they think a person means. I do not mean to stick Cody in the Canucks lineup because the AHL would be bad for him.

I put him in the Canucks lineup as he is the best option they have at helping them win hockey games. he also develops and plays at the NHL level, which for his very apparent and obvious Hockey IQ will be key to his development and transition to the pro game.

Him on the 4th line is fone by me. I am also fine with him being sent down, and signing BMo for the same dollars and playing BMo on the 4th line.

In fact I would argue that is the only upgrade to Cody right now.

But please don't generalize your interpretation of what you think someone, or EVERYONE is saying when it is not the fact!
I think AV put it best...

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...939/story.html

Quote:
“It's a question of what's best for the team and once we've made that assessment we're obviously going to consider what's best for him,” said Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault. “Is it best for him to play eight or nine minutes a game here or is it best for him to play 20 minutes in Manitoba. We're going to consider all those things and make the right decision for the team and the player.”
maybe it's just me, but reading between the lines there, sounds like AV's thinking he starts the year in Manitoba.

If Hodgson is ready to help this team in their quest for a Cup, play him... but if he's not, then you have to consider what's best for his development.

I can't imagine BMo not getting signed at this point... Gillis spoke very highly of him and sounded like an offer will happen. And this season Morrison will be a higher impact player.

I also think that Hodgson will be a more effective player in this lineup if he starts the season and plays an extended time in Manitoba, then gets called up later in the season... call him up around deadline time after he gains confidence and gets comfortable with a faster paced league, and he could be another asset added for a playoff run.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:26 AM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I think AV put it best...

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...939/story.html

maybe it's just me, but reading between the lines there, sounds like AV's thinking he starts the year in Manitoba.

If Hodgson is ready to help this team in their quest for a Cup, play him... but if he's not, then you have to consider what's best for his development.

I can't imagine BMo not getting signed at this point... Gillis spoke very highly of him and sounded like an offer will happen. And this season Morrison will be a higher impact player.

I also think that Hodgson will be a more effective player in this lineup if he starts the season and plays an extended time in Manitoba, then gets called up later in the season... call him up around deadline time after he gains confidence and gets comfortable with a faster paced league, and he could be another asset added for a playoff run.
Agreed, it's up to Cody as well too, if the kid finds his jump and adds any kind of explosiveness to his game he could be called up within a month.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:28 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
This is preemptive to any comments that even remotely suggest Cody's anything close to a "bust" or anything of the sort. I posted it in the GDT and I'm posting it here:

The kid just spent 14 ****ing months dealing with a back problem that limited him to 24 games of hockey in that time frame. He was fully cleared medically all of last week, and Gary Roberts who he'd been training with said because of the injury and Hodgson's limitations during the time he was injured he was a little behind in his progression in terms of his training.

Having said that, this has been his first camp where he's had an even remotely legitimate shot of making the team. An injured 19 year old with no NHL experience had no shot last year, so this year was his first actual shot to do it. Should any of us really be surprised he isn't shooting the lights out? Is it really such a black mark on him as a prospect for him to have to spend some time in Manitoba shaking the obvious rust he has off, getting back to full speed, and learning the game a little more against men instead of boys? The overwhelming sense is it's the kiss of death for Hodgson as a prospect to not make the team. I don't understand it.

Hell, look at what time off did for a future first ballot hall of famer. Sundin was awful for the majority of his time here. It's been proven time and time again that when you play literally no hockey over an extended period of time, there's going to be a re adjustment period, especially if you're trying to step into a new level at the same time you're starting to play hockey at 100% healthy again for the first time in over a year.

I really don't want to read any negativity about Hodgson. I know people will over react because of his pedestrian showing in the preseason, and people will ***** and moan and call him a bust the same way people did about the Sedins when they were first breaking in, the same way people did about Kesler.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Wetcoaster

As the TSN panel noted this is not a team built to work rookies in the line-up and let them learn through their mistakes.

I think the Lilja goal pretty much sealed Hod(g)son's fate... and that is to start the year in Manitoba. Given how much time he missed last season, playing big minutes in the AHL is the best way to get back to game shape.

It will all be about timing and confidence and that will only come through playing not sitting on the bench and playing a couple of minutes per game with the Canucks.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:33 AM
timw33

Manitoba is going to be great for Cody.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:21 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

I can just see all the other fans on HF calling Hodgson a bust when he goes to the AHL

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:54 AM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

looks like he will be goin to manitoba 4 sho

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Jobal

I've already seen a few posts on this board where they say he's not even good enough for the AHL.

Unbelievable.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:06 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
I've already seen a few posts on this board where they say he's not even good enough for the AHL.

Unbelievable.
It's only going to get worse. I can see all the Hodgson = bust/overrated threads, started by Leaf and Oiler fans.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:59 AM
jimmythescot

Do we honestly care what the rest of hfboards thinks? We know what the situation is, and are being sensible in our outlook (for the most part). Let them 'rofl' and shout 'bust' to their hearts content. It will only make them look stupid when he's a solid NHLer.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideHerHard View Post
It's only going to get worse. I can see all the Hodgson = bust/overrated threads, started by Leaf and Oiler fans.
So who cares...

I mean seriously Kadri is on the verge of being cut and the Leafs will suck with or without him and Oiler fans are in for a pretty long season.

I'd rather have a deep team at the NHL level then a deep prospect group despite the hard on that people on this board get for prospects.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
presilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Pronounced without the "g" - Last training camp he clarified the pronunciation of his family with local media, asserting that the 'g' in his name is silent (ie. Hod-son).
His name is still spelt with the g, verbal pronounciation notwithstanding.

presilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideHerHard View Post
I can just see all the other fans on HF calling Hodgson a bust when he goes to the AHL
So what?

I'm more interested in the right things being done for the team, not being done so anonymous posters on a chat board less to talk about.

Seriously, WTF cares?

Old
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
So what?

I'm more interested in the right things being done for the team, not being done so anonymous posters on a chat board less to talk about.

Seriously, WTF cares?
Exactly. You would think people have learned by now that the Detroit model is the way to go in developing youngsters.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:50 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
At first, I wasn't sure what to think of Wet's presentation of the name, but after some thought I decided it was good insofar as it helps spread the correct pronunciation.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
ddawg1950

Yes, we are the worst fans in the league. Yes all our prospects are a bust. Yeah Luongo can't win the big one. yeah the Sedins are soft sisters. Yeah, Ryan Kesler is whiny pest. Yeah yeah yeah.

If other fans aren't trashing and bashing us, we aren't doing our job.

I could give a large stool for what they think.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:55 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Yes, we are the worst fans in the league. Yes all our prospects are a bust. Yeah Luongo can't win the big one. yeah the Sedins are soft sisters. Yeah, Ryan Kesler is whiny pest. Yeah yeah yeah.

If other fans aren't trashing and bashing us, we aren't doing our job.

I could give a large stool for what they think.
How many legs does this stool have?

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Karl Hungus

After the Lilja goal when Hodgon was sitting on the bench you could see the disappointment in his face. He took a nervous look back at the coach and I think he knew he was going to Manitoba. I'm sure it's not going to be long before he's back on the team as a call up.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Reign Nateo

Leafs/Oilers fans need something to make themselves feel better. Have you seen the Oilers defensive core? Or the Leafs centre depth?

Hodgson will be fine. Perhaps this tempered enthusiasm will be good for him. He needs to get to Manitoba and focus on getting back in game shape and developing his offensive game. He's a smart enough player to at least make it as a checking line centre. He's just way behind right now.

He's 20 years old trying to make one of the deepest rosters in the world. Anyone who would consider him a bust isn't worth the time to read their post.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Hence the "g" is present but silent as indicated by the brackets - a written representation of the correct pronunciation.

I considered this:

Hodgson

Or

Hodgson

The brackets make more sense to me.

As Hod(g)son has made it known publicly that is how he prefers to have his name pronounced, just:

As a result now you have learned something new. And learning is a good thing, eh?

Old
09-30-2010, 12:13 PM
NuxFan09

I'm warming up to the idea of Hodgson starting in the AHL and everyone has already pretty much covered the reasons why.

This is a team built to win now and there really isn't that much roster space for prospects. Although many 18, 19, and 20 year olds are filling roster spots in today's NHL, we really can't feel bad that this isn't the case with our team and Cody Hodgson. Hodgson would definitely be cracking at least 20 of the 30 teams in this league so it's not like he's not necessarily good enough for the NHL. We just happen to have a team that's already stacked, which is a blessing in disguise for the team and for Hodgson. All this means is that Hodgson gets stowed away in AHL Manitoba and refines his skills so when he actually is needed to fill a roster spot, he will be VERY prepared and a better player for it (see Ryan, Bobby).

Plus, I'm really looking forward to seeing how a potential Shirokov-Hodgson-Schroeder line performs for the Moose! Talk about skill there.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:31 PM
presilo

vvvv One of those? Not going to bother, then.

Last edited by presilo: 09-30-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Grammatical mistake.
presilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
You don't spell 'knife', (k)nife. Improper.

The brackets make no sense and further complicate and confuse the proper way to say his name as evidenced with your convuluted explanation. The appropriate method to do so would be to take a page out of the NHL media guides and spell his name phoenetically, which is how 'written representation of [the] correct pronunciation' are done.

The only thing I've learned is that you don't know how to use brackets properly. I already knew how to pronounce and spell Hodgson's name and was merely trying to be helpful.
Didn't you know? Wetcoaster is ALWAYS right.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote