HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
  #626
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
He's also brought in other fringe ufa's and college ufa's.

Even Gillis has admitted he needs these guys to "push to make the line up". We haven't seen it, and it looks like another year is going by.
There is a push, though. Just because they don't make the team outright doesn't mean we won't see some of them before the end of the season. Say someone like Raymond goes down mid-season. We have the option of calling up Hodgson, Schroeder, or Sweatt. Last year the forward callup options were Grabner, Pettinger, and Bolduc. Anton Rodin might be our best forward prospect (in some people's opinion) and he's not even over here yet.

On defense would you feel better about potentially being able to call up Sweatt, Tanev, or even Connauton then Baumer & Oberg?

None of the guys mentioned have spent any significant time playing pro hockey yet. If they don't show any development after getting some then I'd be critical of Gillis' drafting/signings.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
  #627
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Kyle Beach was sent to the AHL today.


http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks...ve_to_wai.html
Remember all the Hawks fans that said Beach would replace Byfuglien over the summer?

LOL seriously.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:04 PM
  #628
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
What does "Mike Gillis and his underlings" have to do with it?[/B]
If you really need a historical refresher, the search function will take you through all the hyperbole about Hod-son coming from Gillis and his management team.

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:05 PM
  #629
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Remember all the Hawks fans that said Beach would replace Byfuglien over the summer?
Byfuglien doesn't show up until the playoffs, Beach has lots of time.

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
  #630
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Am I the only one who thinks that the problem might be that he has never played right wing before, let alone at the NHL level?

Being used to being a center he played like one, being the third man high, going deep in the defensive zone coverage, blowing coverage on a point man because, well, he's never been the guy covering the points before has he....

I mean really folks, the kid is a gem, he's just not used to playing on the wing.

We'll see what he is really made of tonight.

That said I am actually excited that he will not be rushed and will be sent to Manitoba for the bulk of the season.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
  #631
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Hodgson is a bust

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
  #632
Jobal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If you really need a historical refresher, the search function will take you through all the hyperbole about Hod-son coming from Gillis and his management team.

Again, you really do not address the point.

What does the national media's hype for Hodgson have to do with Mike Gillis? I'm not even debating that he has hyped Cody, but rather I see no relevance from that to your argument.

Keep avoiding the point you started, though. Or you can use the search function to look up your own post.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
  #633
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
Again, you really do not address the point.

What does the national media's hype for Hodgson have to do with Mike Gillis? I'm not even debating that he has hyped Cody, but rather I see no relevance from that to your argument.

Keep avoiding the point you started, though. Or you can use the search function to look up your own post.
don't you get it? Gillis and his management group started the hype train, the media just jumped on

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:44 PM
  #634
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
What does the national media's hype for Hodgson have to do with Mike Gillis? I'm not even debating that he has hyped Cody, but rather I see no relevance from that to your argument.
If you can't see the connection between a GM hyping his own draft pick and the play-along media picking up the tune and parroting it along, then there really isn't much ground for fruitful discussion.

Cheers.

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
  #635
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Hodgson is a bust
Out of curiosity, is anybody in the Canucks forum actually saying that?

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
  #636
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bellingham
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,068
vCash: 500
Hodgson

The Canucks have an incredibly deep roster.

all of the whining is about 4C and 5 6 D spots. when have we ever had it so good.

The fact that Schroeder and probaly Hodgson are going to end up in MB speaks tons about the depth, not the fact that these KIDS are busts.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:54 PM
  #637
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If you can't see the connection between a GM hyping his own draft pick and the play-along media picking up the tune and parroting it along, then there really isn't much ground for fruitful discussion.

Cheers.
you don't think maybe his showing at the WJC or multiple OHL/CHL awards had something to do with it? You really think multiple media outlets would jeopardize their credibility because a GM told them to? lol ok then.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
  #638
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If you can't see the connection between a GM hyping his own draft pick and the play-along media picking up the tune and parroting it along, then there really isn't much ground for fruitful discussion.

Cheers.
While I agree it's far, far too early to judge Gillis on his draft record (as opposed to those saying Gillis is so much better than Nonis at drafting, etc) what is he supposed to say about his draft picks?

"Yeah, he's ok I guess. We wanted a better player but beggars can't be choosers, so we went with Cody. I'm not sure if he'll ever make the NHL or not, who knows."

Seriously, what do you expect him to say?

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:36 PM
  #639
RJC
Registered User
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
codys looking better each game

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:58 PM
  #640
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Remember all the Hawks fans that said Beach would replace Byfuglien over the summer?

LOL seriously.
Most fans are guilty of this.

They assume that young players will exponentially get better over the summer and be able to step in and replace NHL veteran players leaving the team.

Doesn't work that way.

Having that sort of thing happen is an absolute luxury.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:27 PM
  #641
Canuckee
Registered User
 
Canuckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
best game imo of the preseason but not enough to start the season on the nucks

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:36 PM
  #642
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,187
vCash: 500
I'm glad Gillis wasn't thinking like the rest of us, penciling Hodgson into the lineup well before the season started.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
  #643
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,406
vCash: 500
I though it was a little better from Hodgson tonight. Looked quicker, won some puck battles, and got involved in a couple of rushes.

I don't know if Vigneault agrees, though, as he demoted Hodgson the 4th line in the 3rd.

Hopefully, Hodgson gets off to a good start in Manitoba and we see him sooner than later.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
  #644
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Out of curiosity, is anybody in the Canucks forum actually saying that?
I don't know about CDC, but over here we prefer RIFT over BUST

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
  #645
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
I don't know about CDC, but over here we prefer RIFT over BUST


Well with him likely going to the other side of the Rockies, perhaps we can now call it the Divide.

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:10 AM
  #646
quat
intheDanRusseljungle
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
The Canucks have an incredibly deep roster.

all of the whining is about 4C and 5 6 D spots. when have we ever had it so good.

The fact that Schroeder and probaly Hodgson are going to end up in MB speaks tons about the depth, not the fact that these KIDS are busts.
I don't think the Canucks have that much depth to be honest. They do have guys that look promising, but the guys that are actually fighting to make the team have been pretty underwhelming ... for a number of different reasons.

Not complaining, because it's getting better, but still ... it's not as good as I think you're saying it is.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:15 AM
  #647
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
I don't think the Canucks have that much depth to be honest. They do have guys that look promising, but the guys that are actually fighting to make the team have been pretty underwhelming ... for a number of different reasons.

Not complaining, because it's getting better, but still ... it's not as good as I think you're saying it is.
We're still weak at center — besides Hodgson we have no one that projects as a Top 6 or even Top 9 center. I really want us to draft a (big) center in 2011 just because most of them can switch to the wing anyway but it doesn't work the other way around.

Other than that, I would say we're pretty deep — lots of callup options at pretty much any position.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:08 AM
  #648
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Hodgson did alright tonight. Nothing special, but not too out of place either. Schneider; wont say I'm sold on him, but he played well and that can only be good for everybody.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:19 AM
  #649
Rob Zepp
Registered User
 
Rob Zepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Remember all the Hawks fans that said Beach would replace Byfuglien over the summer?

LOL seriously.
Most of you are LOL. Beach and Hodgson would make most teams in the NHL like Calgary, Edmonton (to name teams in your team's division) BUT teams like Chicago and Vancouver are "tweaking" their already elite teams and they have the luxury to bring these high end prospects along at a pace that maximizes their development and potential. There is no need for a "baptism by fire" and the potential ruining of the prospect (which has happened many times in the league).

I look very much forward to those who are writing off many of these high end prospects that are going to get some valuable seasoning in the AHL. Look at Detroit....almost every one of their prospects spent development time out of the NHL and it shows.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:24 AM
  #650
Rob Zepp
Registered User
 
Rob Zepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
We're still weak at center besides Hodgson we have no one that projects as a Top 6 or even Top 9 center. I really want us to draft a (big) center in 2011 just because most of them can switch to the wing anyway but it doesn't work the other way around.

Other than that, I would say we're pretty deep lots of callup options at pretty much any position.
My guess is that prospect or young center currently in league will come from movement of assets like the extra D or even one of the goalies at year's end if things progress well in that area too.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.