HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
xtr3m

vCash: 50
Stop it, hockey gods!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Crossbar Ping

vCash: 500
Didn't Hodgson play like 60+ games in the AHL last year?

Why are people saying he lost a full year?

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
Didn't Hodgson play like 60+ games in the AHL last year?

Why are people saying he lost a full year?
Maybe because he didn't play 60+ AHL games last year? He played 24 games in the OHL.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Yeah he played 24 (including playoffs)

09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
VanEric

He's the one who referred to it as a lost year and how he read inspirational books.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:22 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Sure there was. And it's something that we should all expect with Gillis. Hodgson is the star prospect for his organization. Ahead of Schroeder or anyone else. He was a 10th overall pick, and Gillis' prized draft pick to date.

Knowing Gillis, and how much emphasis he puts on proper prospect development, and care and attention in how these guys are handled to best develop him, do you really think that Gillis wouldn't first put on a media ban here before unleashing this city's media horde on a 20 YO kid just coming into the pros?

There were no doubt a lot of concerns with his injury and rampant speculation on his future here... there were already hockey analysts that were convinced he'd be traded - or demand a trade out of town.

Is it the best way to handle your prized prospect by letting him fend for himself, going completely unprepared, to deal with the media in this city?

Gillis did the right thing because the bottom line isn't about the fans knowing exactly what's going on... or pleasing the media allowing them to get all their questions answered. The most important factor that Gillis has to be concerned about with Hodgson, is to help him reach his potential as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And dealing with the media is just one of those things that young players need to learn and adapt to - it has an impact on their games (as we've seen referenced *many* times).

Personally, as a die-hard fan of this team, I couldn't care less how much information the media releases to me if it costs the team anything in terms of success. I'd rather not hear Hodgson speak a word, if that best helps him to concentrate on his development and gives him the best chance to reach his potential... obviously he can't do that as a top prospect in a hockey-mad city, so controlling his situation and interactions with the media, as he continues to learn more about how best to handle it, is the logical thing to do with him.
While hypothetically, if Hodgsons success were to ultimately come down to a media blackout, then I'm all for the black out if it helps him get over his injury without reports bugging him and trying to create stories, get in his head, etc. No question there.

I don't however have a lot of sympathy for Gillis when he's clearly irritated that newspapers are making stories of a rift. I hate the press for doing it, but nobody should be surprised they tried to make a story out of it. So really, if Gillis wants everything to be rosy in the papers (I don't honestly know how important that would be to him) he could have spared us the blackout, or Cody's agent or dad could have done an interview or issued a press release last year during the blackout.

We know the Vancouver media is going to create something stupid out of anything related to the Canucks if there isn't enough transparency. Gillis and fans alike can get mad about it, but I don't see it ever changing.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Crossbar Ping

Ah ok, 24 games.

I was given wrong information from a friend that likes to try anything to grill the nucks, so I just had to clear it up now I can show him hes lying and exaggerating like a fisherman

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz0zksEknWv

I don't know where this notion came from that "Canucks Nation" is down on Hodgson? If anything, some have (legitimate) questions about how the Canucks handled this player, but I haven't seen a whole lot of negative stuff towards the player himself.
Now that the player has spoken and supported EVERY thing the team has been saying, shown absolutely no hint of any of the "conspiracy" crap that some on this board have peddled AND made it abundantly clear how much he wants to be with your organization....can we assume you Canuck fans will stop the character assault on the player and his management/Canuck management as there is NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:41 PM
corman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Not just any hfboard member but one who spends more time reading articles, researching, collecting information, contacting media members, using twitter, and putting it together using his critical thinking skills.

Are you saying the media does not have true insight into the situation?
YEP! Just a nobody trying to pretend to be a somebody. I never bought into the rift BS. Get over it

corman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Now that the player has spoken and supported EVERY thing the team has been saying, shown absolutely no hint of any of the "conspiracy" crap that some on this board have peddled AND made it abundantly clear how much he wants to be with your organization....can we assume you Canuck fans will stop the character assault on the player and his management/Canuck management as there is NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
Given the track history, I wouldn't count on it.

Funny thing is, a lot of those posters have some fairly intelligent thoughts on hockey in general, they just seem to prefer something about speculative topics involving relationships between management and players.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Gillis did the right thing because the bottom line isn't about the fans knowing exactly what's going on... or pleasing the media allowing them to get all their questions answered. The most important factor that Gillis has to be concerned about with Hodgson, is to help him reach his potential as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And dealing with the media is just one of those things that young players need to learn and adapt to - it has an impact on their games (as we've seen referenced *many* times)..
Great post. I cannot believe how some could buy the crap being peddled by the media. Those in the media that tried to create a "Cody-Gate" should collectively try another line of work in your city and get away from following the Canucks as their credibility (if they had any) is shot, they have no likelihood of being given any insider information moving forward AND they have demonstrated that they are capable of fabricating stories out of thin air......there is a nice word for that too.

In the end, I could not believe all the crap I could find on the internet from "journalists" and it was not surprising some of the more susceptible minds on HFBoards took the bait.

Old
09-19-2010, 03:59 PM
VanEric

I could care less if they handled it in the media to the satisfaction of some fans.

Is Cody Hodgson completely on board with the Canucks organization? Sure seems that way. That's all I really care about.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Given the track history, I wouldn't count on it.

Funny thing is, a lot of those posters have some fairly intelligent thoughts on hockey in general, they just seem to prefer something about speculative topics involving relationships between management and players.
I though the Brian Burke era was dead and that sort of crap was now into Toronto?

Old
09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
can we assume you Canuck fans will stop the character assault on the player and his management/Canuck management as there is NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
I hate generalizations of a fan group

It's mostly a few bad apples and the media making a big deal out of it to sell newspapers/website hits etc.

I'm sure the majority of sensible Canuck fans don't 'character assault' on CoHo or MG, at least from what I have seen on multiple Canuck boards.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
I hate generalizations of a fan group

It's mostly a few bad apples and the media making a big deal out of it to sell newspapers/website hits etc.

I'm sure the majority of sensible Canuck fans don't 'character assault' on CoHo or MG, at least from what I have seen on multiple Canuck boards.

Well, then please explain the posts on this board by Canuck fans with thousands of posts and years of registration seemingly leading the charge. I did not say "majority of" but stand by the fact it was Canuck fans who were fanning the flames of the imaginary rift......usually you leave that to the trolls from other teams...right?

Old
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Canucks4CupPrettyPlz

Quote:
Well, then please explain the posts on this board by Canuck fans with thousands of posts and years of registration seemingly leading the charge. I did not say "majority of" but stand by the fact it was Canuck fans who were fanning the flames of the imaginary rift......usually you leave that to the trolls from other teams...right?
What exactly does this indicate?

Canucks4CupPrettyPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
I though the Brian Burke era was dead and that sort of crap was now into Toronto?
Maybe it's just me, but it always felt like the fighting was more between Burke and about half the media, with the other half in "his" corner. All the crap about players seemed much more peripheral during his tenure. Case in point, there was very little brought up about friction between RJ Umberger and Burke ... compare that with how that would be treated today...!

Who knows, maybe it was Burke's media "*******" that set the stage for this kind of media behavior. He seems like a decent target.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Yes, I see it now. Never question authority. As a matter of fact, don't ask any questions...at all. Just accept.

As for leading the charge!!! Wow.

"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred."

Yes, quite the strike force. I imagine the uncomfortable questions made the leadership quake.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Tom.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Is this what you guys are talking about?

Injured winger Alex Burrows skated with prospect Cody Hodgson on Saturday. Here were his comments: “He looked great. He's got a great skill set. He scored some nice goals. He looks really good to me and hopefully we'll see him with the big boys sometime soon here.”

God I hope you guys are kidding.
There is absolutely no proof of a rift. Just a bunch of speculation and joking.

Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.H View Post
There is absolutely no proof of a rift. Just a bunch of speculation and joking.
Repeat of a previous post.

Sometimes stories generate their own heat without any stoking whatsoever from the involved parties. It's essentially your basic conspiracy theory concept. When there's a minimal amount of facts available, the media often generates their own. It happens time and time again. All we really know is that there was a FUBAR with a diagnosis and that Coach Vig made some comments about a year ago which he was criticized for. Everything after that is pretty much media generated heat.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Tom.H

Quote:
Sure there was. And it's something that we should all expect with Gillis. Hodgson is the star prospect for his organization. Ahead of Schroeder or anyone else. He was a 10th overall pick, and Gillis' prized draft pick to date.

Knowing Gillis, and how much emphasis he puts on proper prospect development, and care and attention in how these guys are handled to best develop him, do you really think that Gillis wouldn't first put on a media ban here before unleashing this city's media horde on a 20 YO kid just coming into the pros?

There were no doubt a lot of concerns with his injury and rampant speculation on his future here... there were already hockey analysts that were convinced he'd be traded - or demand a trade out of town.

Is it the best way to handle your prized prospect by letting him fend for himself, going completely unprepared, to deal with the media in this city?

Gillis did the right thing because the bottom line isn't about the fans knowing exactly what's going on... or pleasing the media allowing them to get all their questions answered. The most important factor that Gillis has to be concerned about with Hodgson, is to help him reach his potential as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And dealing with the media is just one of those things that young players need to learn and adapt to - it has an impact on their games (as we've seen referenced *many* times).

Personally, as a die-hard fan of this team, I couldn't care less how much information the media releases to me if it costs the team anything in terms of success. I'd rather not hear Hodgson speak a word, if that best helps him to concentrate on his development and gives him the best chance to reach his potential... obviously he can't do that as a top prospect in a hockey-mad city, so controlling his situation and interactions with the media, as he continues to learn more about how best to handle it, is the logical thing to do with him.
Excellent points!
Not to mention that as mature as people say he is, he is still pretty young to be getting all this attention.
I am of the opinion that a lot of people do not reach their full potential, because they do not have an adequate support section around them. While that doesn't mean they need to be babied, it does mean that they do not need to handle everything on their own.

Old
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Tom.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Repeat of a previous post.

Sometimes stories generate their own heat without any stoking whatsoever from the involved parties. It's essentially your basic conspiracy theory concept. When there's a minimal amount of facts available, the media often generates their own. It happens time and time again. All we really know is that there was a FUBAR with a diagnosis and that Coach Vig made some comments about a year ago which he was criticized for. Everything after that is pretty much media generated heat.
Sorry, when a thread gets this long there is bound to be repeats.

Old
09-19-2010, 06:12 PM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Quote:

What do you think they were doing with Hodgson all of last week?
It's called Media Training

Making him media aware... conditioning him on what to say and do, so the minions of the media and the various nuck yak forums would not pick apart his every word.

Notice how he's saying the right thngs now... he and the Nucks are now on the same page... but thats about all.

What ever happened in the past, the general public will never know.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:14 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I wonder if Hodgson could win the 4th line center job in camp? Rypien isn't much good at center but will probably make the team because AV loves his toughness. Throw out Oreskavich or sometimes Torres on the other wing. Morrison/Malhotra on the third line with Hansen perhaps.

I don't mind the idea of Hodgson working his way out of the trenches. Kesler did that to a certain degree and I like how he learned how to play the physical side of the game well early.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:16 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I wonder if Hodgson could win the 4th line center job in camp? Rypien isn't much good at center but will probably make the team because AV loves his toughness. Throw out Oreskavich or sometimes Torres on the other wing. Morrison/Malhotra on the third line with Hansen perhaps.

I don't mind the idea of Hodgson working his way out of the trenches. Kesler did that to a certain degree and I like how he learned how to play the physical side of the game well early.
I'd rather see him on the first line in Manitoba for five months.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote