HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Anybody went to McGill University?

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 12:37 AM
PeaceNLove

vCash: 500
OT - Anybody went to McGill University?

I'm thinking about eventually taking one course there, still not sure which one. I'm already done with university when it comes to career, but I'd still like to learn something, and why not follow a course in English, for the challenge of it, to get a bit in an english environnement (not anything close to immersion since I don't plan to spend much time on campus, but still better than nothing!).

I spent quite a bit of time on their website but can't find what I am looking for. Surely there must be a way to be a "free student" (étudiant libre)? Or maybe an "auditeur" (not taking exams and not doing any assignment... how would you call that?). Is it possible to take any course as long as I have the required credits to follow it?

Anyway, I'm still unsure about whether or not I'll do it. I'm already wondering how I'd be able to take notes fast in English unless I buy a laptop (which I won't be doing) or, my worst nightmare, having to write an assignment for a teamwork! I know I can write them in French but there is no way I'd want other serious students to suffer from my inability to write a university-level paper in English!

Old
06-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Go Habs Go

I`m taking english, you don`t need a laptop to take notes. There isn`t as many notes to takes as in lets say...Biology. Don`t really need to worry about that. More important to listen to the profs in English.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Highlander

Try the "Continuing Education" Department. Or at least that's what it was called when I went to McGill in the early 90's.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
I`m taking english, you don`t need a laptop to take notes.
You're right, you certainly don't need a laptop in University to take notes. I'm now in Software Engineering, at Concordia University, and I frankly don't see the need for a laptop. Pen and paper is always the best for taking notes. Imagine yourself trying to write a mathematical equation or a graph of some kind on a laptop. Compare that to a pen and paper. That's write, 2 hours compared to 2 seconds. Stick with the pen and paper. Laptops are meant for businessmen who travel a lot and not for students who have access to 2000 computers at their own school. Think of the poor silicon that you'd be killing.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
When I did economics (not at McGill), I'd do my typing on a laptop and my graphs on a sheet of paper. It worked out really well.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:59 AM
PeaceNLove

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.

What I meant for the laptop is that I'll have to think more while taking notes if I do it in English. I have no problem in French because I can just write what the teacher say without really thinking about how to write it. I expect it to be harder in English, and since I type faster than I write, a laptop might have helped. But that would be part of the challenge, I guess.

Maybe I should start by taking a plain English course though, but I wouldn't be as motivated.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:12 AM
The n00b King ©*

if ur going to take english classes, why would u want to go to university??? just go to cegep, it will cost u a lot less and ull get pretty much the same type of education. now if ur going for english literature, then that's different...then stick with uni. english classes are the same pretty much everywhere. it only changes when u specialize into something (ie literature, history etc)

Old
06-04-2004, 01:44 PM
tinyzombies

I used to use a little tape recorder or dictaphone to record the lecture and then take notes in broad outlines, just the main points. I would mark a star where I thought I should go back and listen to the tape and fill in my notes or where I could just fill it in from referring to my textbook. Saves a lot of time and worry and if you miss something, you aren't lost.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I used to use a little tape recorder or dictaphone to record the lecture and then take notes in broad outlines, just the main points. I would mark a star where I thought I should go back and listen to the tape and fill in my notes or where I could just fill it in from referring to my textbook. Saves a lot of time and worry and if you miss something, you aren't lost.
That's a great idea. I never thought it would work though.

Old
06-04-2004, 02:36 PM
picasso

If I look at the way you are writing in English, you will be more than fine. I studied at McGill two years ago as a "rentry student" and my English was by far worst than yours and it went very well. I studied in History and it went very well. The first session I took my notes in French but the next session I was able to take my notes in English. Even so you can attend a course as "auditeur libre", I would recommand you to attend as a regular student since your papers will be corrected by the teacher. It is a great way to get better.

Concerning the exams, you can write them in French or in English. At the beginning I wrote them in French and after two sessions I was able to write at least half of them in English depending of the time that I had (I was still slower in English).

To me it was a great experience. Go for it!!

Closed Thread