Shawinigan Cataractes 2010-2011 season

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
MarcPiquesFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black View Post
HaHa it's a weird trade as you said Tommy isn't the most popular player in Gatineau. He wasn't happy on being a 3rd liner with the Cats but Groulx told him he would play a more offensive role with the Olympics. I think Tremblay's a good 3rd liner but I don't see him being a big factor contributing on the score sheet. I didn't saw Gatineau play this year but I doubt you really need this kind of player to boost your offense.
Our offense don't need to be increase imo... We have a lot of good talentous fowards in our top 6 and I don't think Groulx brought Tremblay for putting the puck in the net. Samuel Morneau have already 6 goals and the guy who's taking the place of McGinn is Lafontaine, who got actually 6 assists thus far, so I don't think there is any problems there. Yoan Pinette is still a first-rounder and I really like what he's showing since the begining of the season. Plus, some other players like Phil Halley et J-G Pageau seems to take a certain part of the team's offense this year (Halley already have 3 goals). And Igor Levitsky is way in front of Denis Kindl at the same age, and Kindl was our #1 center last year. I don't think we need, at this moment of the year, another top-6 foward, Oespcially when you have Ouellet, Noël and Porowski and I'm very impress of Taylor Burke so far.

The true problem of the team is our toughness. With small players like Halley, Pageau, Noël, etc., we have to be bigger at some positions and the only big guy in our top-6 is actually Mitchell Porowski, which is not physical at all... In fact, the only guys who can drop in our team are Jacob Conrad and Olivier Croteau. I really like those two players, but they are not very annoying (like Tremblay can be, I mean). Defensively, with Labrie's injury, the only d-man I can see bring some toughness is Nicolas Deslauriers... and he's our top d-man. Labrie was bringing a physical dimension that we miss a lot since the beginning of the season and I think that Groulx is trying to maybe bring someone who'll bring that physical dimension, at another level. And if he can shake some players in the locker room with this acquisition, it would be a plus, cause I think a few guys are able to be better than they shown so far this season.

I understand the decision and I really appreciate the fact that he didn't wait too long to close this big weakness... The only thing I don't get is why this guy? I mean, he probably have more enemies here (players and fans) than any other place in the league, why bring this particular guy. I like the player Groulx brought... I just don't like the person he borught...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Does this mean Tye McGinn won't come back? It would be another huge blow to Gatineau after Labrie's injury.
What I have on McGinn is that he'll play a few exhibition games with the Flyers farm team and he'll be back in about 1 or 2 weeks. But maybe the Flyers want to keep him just in case of injuries or maybe they just think another year in the junior isn't necessary.

Another theory is that McGinn will return at the middle of the season like Riopel did last year and at the deadline, Grouxl would trade Laporte for a big 18-19 top-6 foward. It's a possibility, but I don't think so...

One thing is sure, nobody ever expected that in Gatineau! And everybody would have like to see this trade came just a few days ago to see Tremblay play against his farmer team! ^^

PS = It's probably the longest english text I've ever write (if you don't include school, of course), so be indulgent please! I think everybody will understand what I try to say, but I'm sure there is a lot of grammatical mistakes/verbe tenses, I'm working very hard on this

Old
09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Is Gatineau that deep on defense after trading Barnard, losing Labrie for most of the season and now thinking about trading Laporte?

Old
09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
And Igor Levitsky is way in front of Denis Kindl at the same age, and Kindl was our #1 center last year.
#1 center? Why did the coach scratch his number one center in the playoffs?

Old
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
MarcPiquesFan

Quote:
Is Gatineau that deep on defense after trading Barnard, losing Labrie for most of the season and now thinking about trading Laporte?
With Deslauriers and Janosik, we already have two good offense defenseman (better defensively than Laporte) and I'm pretty sure that Mathieu Gagnon is able to do the job on the second PP (and he's very impressive defensively for a one-way defenseman). I don't think a junior team needs more than 3 offensive defenseman on his team and I think that your last three d-man should be good defensive one. I like the way Jason Seed is progressing since the first game he played with us and i'm ready to put my confiance on him. Plus, it's sure that if Groulx trade Laporte, he will move to get another d-man, a bigger and better defensivly than Laporte. It could be a theory. I don't think the Piques are going for the cup this year. I don't think they can rivalize with Bathurst or Rimouski (and even Drummondville if they can keep that energy for the rest of the season).

Quote:
#1 center? Why did the coach scratch his number one center in the playoffs?
Chabot was very disapointed by his first game, so he decided to scratch him to wake him up. It worked, Kindl was one of our best foward for the rest of the serie!

But, you also have to consider one thing : the one who was suppose to be our #1 center was Touchette. I got trade, so Pageau inherited of the role... He caught a mononucleosis during the playoffs, so Kindl took his place. Our deppness in center was... ******, if you want my thought...

Old
10-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Just a quick update today about last game. Voltigeurs won 3-2. Cats didn't want to play in the 1st and 2nd period. They woke up in the 3rd but this was a little too late.

I was watching Sean Couturier very closely. He did nothing and did not look like a potential #1 draft pick. Bad game for him I think.

Anton Zlobin had his best game of the season having 1 assist on a great pass. He has great skills with the puck. Coach Veilleux game him a chance on the 1st line and he did well but not as long as I wanted to see. The coach placed Zlobin on the 3rd line after one or two shifts with the 1st line. In my opinion, players with skills like Zlobin should play on one of the 1st or 2nd line.

Cats play again today against Chicoutimi.

Old
11-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Dutch

This team can't lose ! 9 wins out of 10. They won again tonight in a great game vs Victoriaville.

Feel free to read my paper on the game

Old
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
maineman

well Lewiston put an end to your streak, even without the refs help, but ours ended the day after.

Old
03-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Ok it's been some times since I've posted in this thread. I had no time but I'll try to post some updates about the Cats since the Playoffs started last night.

Cats won 2-1 in OT vs P.E.I. Zlobin and Bournival scored for Shawi. Next is today at 4pm.

I wish every QMJHL fans good playoffs and if you have any questions regarding the Cats I'll try to answer you the best I can!

Old
03-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Dutch

PEI's coach Éric Lavigne went nuts after the game, saying that when you're out of shape, you want the game to end earlier, clearly aiming his comments at the refrees. He had fire in his eyes, but that's gonna cost him big bucks.

As for the game, it's gonna be a goalkeeper serie. Mosher and Girard played good in a defensive game.

Game recap

Last edited by Dutch: 03-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old
03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
PEI's coach Éric Lavigne went nuts after the game, saying that when you're out of shape, you want the game to end earlier, clearly aiming his comments at the refrees. He had fire in his eyes, but that's gonna cost him big bucks.

As for the game, it's gonna be a goalkeeper serie. Mosher and Girard played good in a defensive game.
Yes I saw him after the game when the players were leaving the ice and he had a lot to say to the referees! As you said the two goaltenders were sharp. This series will be a nice one I think!

Old
03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black View Post
Yes I saw him after the game when the players were leaving the ice and he had a lot to say to the referees! As you said the two goaltenders were sharp. This series will be a nice one I think!
As he said, this serie has the potential to be fantastic. However, with last night's hard lost, if PEI loses today too, I don't except it to go over five games.The Rocket have proven year after year that they can't make it through the first round in the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

@Dutch: just looked at your website and it's nice!

Old
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Dutch

Thanks

Old
03-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Game 2 last night in Shawinigan. The Cats lost 4-2. Ben Casavant and Anton Zlobin got the goals for Shawi.

I think the real star of the game was goaltender Evan Mosher of the Rocket. He received 35 shots. He was solid in front of his net.

It was a good game overall but turnovers cost the game to the Cataractes. P.E.I. were opportunist with their chances.

Only thing that bothers me since this series started is the referees. I don't like to talk about this because I know it's not an easy job and I respect them but I think they're not doing a good job right now. 1st game Rocket's coach Éric Lavigne criticised the officials and last night it was Éric Veilleux and GM Martin Mondou who had comments on this. It would be a good thing for everyone if the referees step up their game because right now it looks like they're still in preseason.

Old
04-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Been some time since last update, but Cats lost their series to Quebec in the 7th game. I think logic was respected here because the Remparts had a better team than the Cats.

The 2010-2011 season was a good season overall for Shawinigan with ups and downs but it was normal for a young team like this. It was also a transition year due to Memorial Cup being held here next season. Cataractes will have their place at the Memorial Cup for sure but I'm confident they will compete for President's Cup with a much more mature team. There will be some moves by GM Martin Mondou to improve the team in the offseason too.

I would like to wish good luck to every other teams left in playoffs and I will try to keep you updated with Cats news.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Ryan Kavanagh will be signing in Austria. I'm friends with his sister, and she says the deal was signed today. Don't know when it'd be made public, but just thought I'd let you know ahead of time.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

http://ecredbulls.at/news_detail.php?id=11123

Boom.

Old
06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

He made a bad decision...

Old
06-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Just a quick question for Junior fans. Dave Labrecque finished his Junior career with the Cats last year and is now looking for a contract in AHL since. He was drafted by the Flyers but they didn't give him a contract.

So my question is where do you think he'll play next year? AHL, ECHL or in Europe and why?

Closed Thread