HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Watching From Out of Town - the best option

Old
09-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
Watching From Out of Town - the best option

At the end of the last season I had a similar thread but now I am getting desperate to figure out the best alternative:

So your options for watching live NYR games from out of town:

1) Via TV - Direct TV NY Sports Package including MSG ($129/mo - 2 year deal)
2) Via TV - Normal TV + NHL Center Ice ($?)
3) Via Internet - NHL Center Ice Online ($199?)
4) Via Internet - Slingbox
5) Via Internet - Charity Feeds (free online feeds)

Am I missing any? Please list experiences you have had. I am narrowing it down to 3-4 at the moment. Any slingbox users happy? I was gonna buy my brother in law one but apparently the last firmware update was a disaster.

So Slingbox vs NHL center ice. I like watching the MSG feed - is that guaranteed with center ice online?

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:27 PM
FOXHOUND*

Option 1, that way you're getting the MSG broadcasts, much better than having to suffer through opposing teams announcers

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Slick Rick 61

If you live out of market, go with Center Ice, and the Total Sports Package (which is the regional channels). You'll have access to all the games on MSG, MSG+, and MSG programming all day. When they play on one of the secondary channels such as PIX or MSG+2, you are still able to get the Rangers feed through the Center Ice channels. Also, with DTV, you will get almost every game around the league in HD.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
beastly115

I used hockeystreams.com last season and renewed for this season. Works well for me.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Is NHL center ice online in HD?
Is it legal to buy a broadcast from another person? I would happily send some money for a private HD feed from someone as hardcore a fan as me.

Old
09-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Be careful about doing the satellite option with a package that includes MSG. I tried that last year in Nashville and apparently there is some rule about broadcasting only so many live feeds of pro sports at a time no matter where they were from. Some nights you would see the Rangers on MSG. Most nights they were blacked out. Of course, this wasn't what Dish Network assured me, so when it came time, I basically got them to comp me Center Ice. So if you do go satellite, be 100% sure you're getting what you want and get it in writing so if it goes sour, you can show them where they lied to you.

Edit: that rule is supposedly a local one that is different in different places depending on state, county or city regulations. Might not be a problem where you are, but get informed about it.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
If you are looking to not spend too much money I would recommend Slingbox, IF you know someone in the new york area that will hook it up to their cable box and you know they will watch the games, or you can have them hook it up to an additional cable box and not worry. You can watch the games through your computer and all the tvs now a days have a spot to hook up your computer. I will say the quality is okay, I mean it isn't HDTV, but it is better than the internet streamed games. It costs between 100-200 for the device and software with NO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION! I used it my last 3 years of college and this past year and for the money you cannot beat it.

I may try the NHL center ice (I live in maine, no other choices) this year if my fiancee and I can afford it. If not, I won't mind using the slingbox for another year or two.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
If you live out of market, go with Center Ice, and the Total Sports Package (which is the regional channels). You'll have access to all the games on MSG, MSG+, and MSG programming all day. When they play on one of the secondary channels such as PIX or MSG+2, you are still able to get the Rangers feed through the Center Ice channels. Also, with DTV, you will get almost every game around the league in HD.
this is what i do.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:09 PM
RedLightDistrict

I'm a student in Boston; the Slingbox has been an entirely worthwhile purchase. I don't have the HD version of slingbox, but it certainly does the trick.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:21 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

I have sling box and all I can say is if you're internet isn't great (which mine isn't) you will NOT be satisfied with how it works.

So I too have a dilemma on whether or not I should just buy center ice for the apartment. Speaking of this, does anyone know Center Ice's blackout restrictions? I'm in Buffalo now and I'm afraid if I buy center ice it will all be for naught as the Rangers games are usually blacked out here in favor of the Sabres.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

that hockey streams site looks awesome! might be a winner

Old
09-18-2010, 05:16 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I have sling box and all I can say is if you're internet isn't great (which mine isn't) you will NOT be satisfied with how it works.

So I too have a dilemma on whether or not I should just buy center ice for the apartment. Speaking of this, does anyone know Center Ice's blackout restrictions? I'm in Buffalo now and I'm afraid if I buy center ice it will all be for naught as the Rangers games are usually blacked out here in favor of the Sabres.
I lived in Buffalo last year and bought Center Ice. Every game that wasn't on VS, NBC or the NHL network is broadcast on Center Ice. I didn't miss a game.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

The best option, though not the cheapest, is Direct TV with the center ice package plus the regional sports channels. You'll get the MSG feed for all the games, and now that MSG has worked it out with the NHL, all of them in HD. Plus you'll get all the extra MSG programing like Rangers in 60, game replays, countdown shows, etc.

Second best option would be center ice through the cable provider. Can't speak for others, but I know that Comcast only has 1 HD game a night, and you usually only get the home team feed.

Slingboxes are cool, but cost almost as much as the center ice package, and as mentioned you are adding variables that will effect performance.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 04:34 AM
egelband

i got gamecenter live via the nhl website last season and was really happy with the service. best quality and stability - in my opinion - of all the major sports aside from nfl which was about the same. but check restrictions...

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Xtranova

So I'm concidering the Center Ice early bird @ Espn there. Any good for a norwegian in desperation of Ranger games ?

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 08:22 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
So I'm concidering the Center Ice early bird @ Espn there. Any good for a norwegian in desperation of Ranger games ?
Best solution for us in Europe in terms of service and quality... There used to have some issues in the past, but they drastically improved the service over the last couple of seasons, you won't be disapointed. Check my youtube channel in my signature for samples running @1600 kbps. Live games are running @ 2200 kbps...

I just hope we'll have MSG in HD this season...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:38 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I lived in Buffalo last year and bought Center Ice. Every game that wasn't on VS, NBC or the NHL network is broadcast on Center Ice. I didn't miss a game.
Sweet, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

So for people who have Dish, let me get this straight- can I order just MSG without getting center ice and still get the Rangers? Or do I have to order Center Ice no matter what?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Xtranova

Nice one! A bit off topic here, but does anyone know how long the early bird offer will last ?

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Through going to school in Boston and now working in MN I've gone through most of these at one point or another.

Here's my take:

1. Center Ice (TV...$180 with Comcast I believe)
Advantages:
- Easy and you know exactly what you are getting (for the most part). Watch every game at the press of a button.
- Never had a Ranger game blacked out that I couldn't watch on VS

Drawbacks:
- No HD (with Comcast). This is a big killer for me but compared to other options it is worth tolerating in my opinion.
2. Center Ice Online
Advantages:
- Also has every game (that is not on VS / local TV).
- Ability to watch up to four games at once and select camera angles.
- Live stat tracking.
- For the most part no streaming issues.
Drawbacks:
- It is an online stream so while the picture quality is good, it's not amazing or anything (may have improved I last had it in 2008-09).
- You're watching on your computer (or have to find a way to hook your computer up to your TV / speakers)
3. Slingbox
Advantages:
- Cheapest option
- Not just hockey, can use for any show you want to watch.
- Can use on your mobile device.

Drawbacks:
- Takes full control of whatever TV it is hooked up to. When I used this we only had one cable box at my house in NJ (pre-digital switch); if I wanted to watch a game in Boston my parents would have to watch too.
- We had Verizon Fios internet (not sure the stats) but the picture quality was downright awful. Buffering issues, stuttering, hardly able to pick out players let alone the puck.

09-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Abooch68

NHL Center Ice With DirecTv is the best 170 bucks I spend every year... Most of the games are in HD plus I have the SportsPack so I get many of the pre and post games as well... If you have DirecTV and HD go with Center Ice hands down...

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
So for people who have Dish, let me get this straight- can I order just MSG without getting center ice and still get the Rangers? Or do I have to order Center Ice no matter what?
If you live out of market, no. Without center ice the games themselves will be blacked out, though I believe you would get the Rangers in 60 as well as the pregame show with the regional sports package.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:59 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Nice one! A bit off topic here, but does anyone know how long the early bird offer will last ?
Don't wait too much...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Poozer

When is Game Center Live online going to be available for purchase this year? Its getting awful close to the start of the season.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote