HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

vCash: 709
What the team should do is at 6 o'clock play sportscentre. They play CTV news on CFRA.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
On TGOR today Steve and JR put down the NHL Awards show big time and then Pierre comes on in his segment and says it was one of the best he has ever been a part of.
Silence on the other end and they quickly moved on to another topic.
It would have been very entertaining to discuss the merits of the Awards show- pros /cons etc. with Pierre especially after they spent so much time criticizing it....... but JR and Steve didn't go there. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers!
I listen to the team on my way into work...I'm not quite sure it's the best investment of 1.5 hrs but every now and then I get a laugh or I get my email read. I feel like i'm supporting the team.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Spex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
They do this every summer. Saves them money. It really sucks.

I listen to either CFRA or TSN 990. The guys on Ottawa radio just don't know sports. They know Hockey and Headlines, that's it.
great quote...awesome quote.

Itís pretty sad, but they preface a lot of their takes with ďI didnít see the game live butÖĒ

I know they have personal lives and stuff, but itís pretty bad that they canít even be bothered to watch and research show topics.

Especially during the Maguire segments. They will go on and on about something that happen the night before and then Pierre will say something like ďDid you actually watch the gameĒ and noth guys will hum and haw and finally admit that they didnít see the game or are just relying on TSN highlights.

If it werenít of places like HF Boards, they wouldnít have anything to go on.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
KarlSen
Welcom Coach

Quote:
On TGOR today Steve and JR put down the NHL Awards show big time and then Pierre comes on in his segment and says it was one of the best he has ever been a part of.
Silence on the other end and they quickly moved on to another topic.
It would have been very entertaining to discuss the merits of the Awards show- pros /cons etc. with Pierre especially after they spent so much time criticizing it....... but JR and Steve didn't go there. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers!
I don't usually mind Pierre, but he can get very prickly and nasty when put in a corner. And of course if he was involved, it was "one of the best". Very little upside in going there with him about the show. The boys are right tough, as usual, it is a mainly painful affair.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Listening to Dan Patrick makes me sad about the state of the Team 1200.

I mean, that show is the PINNACLE of sports radio. You may not like some of the show's content (as am I, I'm not a huge NBA fan and DP usually is basketball-heavy), but the way the show is produced, Patrick as a host... man. THAT's good radio.

Makes Team 1200 look like the biggest mickey-mouse sports station in North America.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Listening to Dan Patrick makes me sad about the state of the Team 1200.

I mean, that show is the PINNACLE of sports radio. You may not like some of the show's content (as am I, I'm not a huge NBA fan and DP usually is basketball-heavy), but the way the show is produced, Patrick as a host... man. THAT's good radio.

Makes Team 1200 look like the biggest mickey-mouse sports station in North America.
Lol true, true. I like the DP show and rome aswell. He has great interviews and I like to know whats going on in other sports, but not always watch them.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:32 AM
PKC*

I think you guys need to cut them some slack. The radio station plays to a local audience. The Dan Patrick and Jim Rome shows are nationally syndicated talk radio shows. The Team 1200's MO is to provide coverage for the Ottawa area. Hence, a bigger focus on the one professional team in the city. Hence, a bigger focus on hockey in general. If the Team 1200 went out and got interviews with big name football players and basketball players, everyone in here would start complaining that the show is trying to be too much like Patrick and Rome's shows. It's honestly a lose-lose situation for them.

One thing they should change is their lineup format for the show. They don't allow enough time for call in and discussion. They often cut off callers because of commercial break. And they have far too many guests for the small amount of time they allot themselves. They should remove one interview per day from their schedule and allow people to discuss topics in earnest without cutting them off. Be somewhat more controversial without overdoing it.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
otown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
I think you guys need to cut them some slack. The radio station plays to a local audience. The Dan Patrick and Jim Rome shows are nationally syndicated talk radio shows. The Team 1200's MO is to provide coverage for the Ottawa area. Hence, a bigger focus on the one professional team in the city. Hence, a bigger focus on hockey in general. If the Team 1200 went out and got interviews with big name football players and basketball players, everyone in here would start complaining that the show is trying to be too much like Patrick and Rome's shows. It's honestly a lose-lose situation for them.

One thing they should change is their lineup format for the show. They don't allow enough time for call in and discussion. They often cut off callers because of commercial break. And they have far too many guests for the small amount of time they allot themselves. They should remove one interview per day from their schedule and allow people to discuss topics in earnest without cutting them off. Be somewhat more controversial without overdoing it.
Would agree that they don't allow enough time for call in and discussion but I would have to say that the guests keep the program interesting and insightful. They would have lots of time to attend to solid programming if they cut the boring banter..... especially on TGOR. It has been better since Jungle left but there is still room for improvement. Simmer at seven has been a great addition and he is a good co-host as well. JR and Steve seem to be on cruise control.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Spex

Quote:
I think you guys need to cut them some slack. The radio station plays to a local audience. The Dan Patrick and Jim Rome shows are nationally syndicated talk radio shows. The Team 1200's MO is to provide coverage for the Ottawa area.
Donít know much about Dan Patrick, Jim Rome was a local guy too and look where he is now. Local guys don't always have to stick to local topics. And if they do stick to local topics, they can't just mail it in.

You think anyone from the TEAM Lineup (ex-NHLers not included) would ever reach that level of fame?

Old
06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:

I disagree with the first par and agree with the second.

I don't think anyone would criticize them for getting better interviews. The problem is that most of the hosts are not knowledgeable enough to do a good interview. They know as much as the regular fan about baseball, Football, basketball, and soccer. Hockey is where they get the insider information. Just listen to Toronto or Montreal radio. Those guys are sports junkies. I hated Kulka in the morning but when it came to the CFL he actually was knowledgeable.

This is why I like Terry Marcotte so much. He has a history of covering sports on a professional level. Reading a teleprompter every night at 6:40pm must be as boring as hell. Getting to actually hear his thoughts brings a different dimension. I like to hear Garioch on the radio because he is such a bozo but he plays it well. The round table before games are the best because they talk about the NHL. Bringing on Galley for an hour 3 out of 5 days is great. It brings credibility to the healthy scratches. Jason york is fine at what he does but he is still not that engaging.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:04 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Would agree that they don't allow enough time for call in and discussion but I would have to say that the guests keep the program interesting and insightful. They would have lots of time to attend to solid programming if they cut the boring banter..... especially on TGOR. It has been better since Jungle left but there is still room for improvement. Simmer at seven has been a great addition and he is a good co-host as well. JR and Steve seem to be on cruise control.
Trust me, they don't have enough time. I've worked on radio before. I know how much time those shows leave for commercials. Not to mention, by the time TGOR is done, they aren't even on air until 9.45 and they only go until 12. If they bring on 3 guests, at an average of 15-22 minutes for introduction and interview, you're left with barely ANY time whatsoever for proper discussion of the topic. That's why the show feels so rushed all the time. They don't allow time for topics to percolate. Their scheduling is so tight, it's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
Donít know much about Dan Patrick, Jim Rome was a local guy too and look where he is now. Local guys don't always have to stick to local topics. And if they do stick to local topics, they can't just mail it in.

You think anyone from the TEAM Lineup (ex-NHLers not included) would ever reach that level of fame?
Jim Rome started in San Diego. There's a whole lot more to talk about out there than just one sports topic. However, if he only talked about the Chargers, he could run a 6 hour show. It's just different. Comparing the two isn't really fair.

Again, the Team 1200 is about playing to a local audience. Sports fans in this city care about hockey all year and football during the NFL season. That's basically it. You have a niche baseball crowd. You have some basketball enthusiasts. But for the most part it's Sens, hockey, football. Period.

Quote:
I disagree with the first par and agree with the second.

I don't think anyone would criticize them for getting better interviews. The problem is that most of the hosts are not knowledgeable enough to do a good interview. They know as much as the regular fan about baseball, Football, basketball, and soccer. Hockey is where they get the insider information. Just listen to Toronto or Montreal radio. Those guys are sports junkies. I hated Kulka in the morning but when it came to the CFL he actually was knowledgeable.

This is why I like Terry Marcotte so much. He has a history of covering sports on a professional level. Reading a teleprompter every night at 6:40pm must be as boring as hell. Getting to actually hear his thoughts brings a different dimension. I like to hear Garioch on the radio because he is such a bozo but he plays it well. The round table before games are the best because they talk about the NHL. Bringing on Galley for an hour 3 out of 5 days is great. It brings credibility to the healthy scratches. Jason york is fine at what he does but he is still not that engaging.
But who are those better interviews going to play to? How many people would be eagerly tuning in to listen to David Stern if they could get him on? How much of ratings boost would they get if they talked to Thierry Henry about the meteoric rise of soccer in the US and Canada? It's nice to think about the people who appreciate listening to those kinds of interviews, but realistically, how many of them are there?

How many Joe Publics are out there listening to the Team 1200 who if the conversation switched from hockey to something else, would even have enough knowledge of that topic to follow the interview with any amount of interest? And how many would even be interested in an interview with a basketball guy? Or a soccer guy? Etc.

It's the same thing with other radio stations. Why do you think there are so many that play pop music? Is it because they can't find anything else to play? No, of course not. It's because they know what the vast majority of people want to listen to.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Trust me, they don't have enough time. I've worked on radio before. I know how much time those shows leave for commercials. Not to mention, by the time TGOR is done, they aren't even on air until 9.45 and they only go until 12. If they bring on 3 guests, at an average of 15-22 minutes for introduction and interview, you're left with barely ANY time whatsoever for proper discussion of the topic. That's why the show feels so rushed all the time. They don't allow time for topics to percolate. Their scheduling is so tight, it's insane.

Jim Rome started in San Diego. There's a whole lot more to talk about out there than just one sports topic. However, if he only talked about the Chargers, he could run a 6 hour show. It's just different. Comparing the two isn't really fair.

Again, the Team 1200 is about playing to a local audience. Sports fans in this city care about hockey all year and football during the NFL season. That's basically it. You have a niche baseball crowd. You have some basketball enthusiasts. But for the most part it's Sens, hockey, football. Period.

But who are those better interviews going to play to? How many people would be eagerly tuning in to listen to David Stern if they could get him on? How much of ratings boost would they get if they talked to Thierry Henry about the meteoric rise of soccer in the US and Canada? It's nice to think about the people who appreciate listening to those kinds of interviews, but realistically, how many of them are there?

How many Joe Publics are out there listening to the Team 1200 who if the conversation switched from hockey to something else, would even have enough knowledge of that topic to follow the interview with any amount of interest? And how many would even be interested in an interview with a basketball guy? Or a soccer guy? Etc.

It's the same thing with other radio stations. Why do you think there are so many that play pop music? Is it because they can't find anything else to play? No, of course not. It's because they know what the vast majority of people want to listen to.
A few weeks ago they had an interview with Evander Holyfeild. It was great. Did Joe Public want to hear that interview, probably not but after it I left thinking this guys brain isnt as mushed up as I thought. It was interesting. I would of loved to hear an interview with Vlad Guerrero when he was trying to make the Jays or something like that. It takes exposing people to new things in order to develop a wider audience. Pop music stations do it solely because they make their money brainwashing people with top 40 crap that the industry mandates. It's not like Stuntman Stu is on the cutting edge of discovering new talent. He fallows the script and plays crap. His job is to sell the music regardless of how good it is.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
PKC*

Quote:
A few weeks ago they had an interview with Evander Holyfeild. It was great. Did Joe Public want to hear that interview, probably not but after it I left thinking this guys brain isnt as mushed up as I thought. It was interesting. I would of loved to hear an interview with Vlad Guerrero when he was trying to make the Jays or something like that. It takes exposing people to new things in order to develop a wider audience. Pop music stations do it solely because they make their money brainwashing people with top 40 crap that the industry mandates. It's not like Stuntman Stu is on the cutting edge of discovering new talent. He fallows the script and plays crap. His job is to sell the music regardless of how good it is.
Again, they had Evander Holyfield on because it was a local tie. He was here for a Boys and Girls club fundraiser.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:

I sort of agree, but I wasn't even talking about the interviews on Team 1200. I was just talking about the quality of the production, the quality of the hosts. Everything is seamless on the DP show, every segment blends into the next. Insightful commentary. The way Patrick uses his "assistant" hosts/ Danettes. Everything is done meticulously, with purpose, and it seems like every part of the show has been planned out well in advance.

Team 1200 just sort of seems like everything is thrown together at the last minute sometimes. I think the healthy scratches are OK, but everything before 3PM is amateur hour.

Basically: Dan Patrick sounds like a SPORTS RADIO host. Most of the guys doing Team 1200 sound like cheesy FM pop station DJ's moonlighting as sports radio hosts.

I don't even blame the show producers as much: it seems to me like they're being asked to build a castle, and all they're given is sand.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Again, they had Evander Holyfield on because it was a local tie. He was here for a Boys and Girls club fundraiser.
I used him as an example just like I did Vladimir Guerrero. I'm not saying to interview joe blow bench player but try and line up interviews with people in the actual news. Jim Jerome got Charles Barkley to shoot the **** with one morning. The only thing jim was good for was getting interviews. The Jays aren't very local but they are close enough that we should cover them with some importance. Same with the Raptors. I like basketball, don't love it anymore, but follow it enough to be interested in hear some intelligent talk about it. What's the problem with having sports journalists on the radio over personalities? Roger Clemens is innocent from lying to a grand jury and all we get is " daaaa, I think he did it" This is what media has come to across the board so i guess I shouldn't really be surprised. Go Kurt Studley go.

Last edited by Stylizer1: 06-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I sort of agree, but I wasn't even talking about the interviews on Team 1200. I was just talking about the quality of the production, the quality of the hosts. Everything is seamless on the DP show, every segment blends into the next. Insightful commentary. The way Patrick uses his "assistant" hosts/ Danettes. Everything is done meticulously, with purpose, and it seems like every part of the show has been planned out well in advance.

Team 1200 just sort of seems like everything is thrown together at the last minute sometimes. I think the healthy scratches are OK, but everything before 3PM is amateur hour.

Basically: Dan Patrick sounds like a SPORTS RADIO host. Most of the guys doing Team 1200 sound like cheesy FM pop station DJ's moonlighting as sports radio hosts.

I don't even blame the show producers as much: it seems to me like they're being asked to build a castle, and all they're given is sand.
I agree with all of this. JR gets lots of love from the listeners but he is not the guy to improve the station anymore. TSN is around the corner and they are going to overhaul everything.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
ZSensFan

Quote:
I agree with all of this. JR gets lots of love from the listeners but he is not the guy to improve the station anymore. TSN is around the corner and they are going to overhaul everything.
I dearly hope so, give me syndicated CANADIAN radio programming if you're too cheap to produce any yourself during the summer! I would much rather hear the Montreal or Toronto 9-12 stuff from them than Dan Patrick talking about the NBA. Rome is fine, he is a special beast in talk radio with his own brand.

Do they even have CanCon regulations for talk AM radio?

Old
06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSensFan View Post
I dearly hope so, give me syndicated CANADIAN radio programming if you're too cheap to produce any yourself during the summer! I would much rather hear the Montreal or Toronto 9-12 stuff from them than Dan Patrick talking about the NBA. Rome is fine, he is a special beast in talk radio with his own brand.

I don't think its really a matter of cheap does it make sense to spend a ton of money on programs for the summer that may not get good ratings and that i think is the issue.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:39 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I don't think its really a matter of cheap does it make sense to spend a ton of money on programs for the summer that may not get good ratings and that i think is the issue.
When Ottawa has their CFL team and pro soccer team there will be more local summer content.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:

The regulations are very different from that of music programming. In Canada at least most talk radio stations formats are locally influenced therefor do not really need to have a certain percentage of canadian content. They could broadcast American talk radio if they wanted to but I doubt many would really care that much. Sports is some what similar to me but I guess not to the owners of those stations. I would rather listen to Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal from 9-12 personally other than Dan patrick. Not that I don't like his content just that I like to hear something about Canadian sports during those 3 hour spots. Dan Patrick and Jim Rome do their jobs extremely well but they are just like our guys in a way. They know nothing about hockey and our guys know nothing about all the other sports.

Last edited by Stylizer1: 06-22-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
ZSensFan

I can't imagine it's more expensive to run the Montreal or Toronto TSN feed during the summer than a syndicated US show as they are owned by TSN right? I think they are more afraid of people getting hooked on the higher quality feeds out of MTL and TO so they won't broadcast them. Very short sited imho, it's not like Sens fans will stop listening during the hockey season, and I know I will switch to 990 when I can get it or FM for music/CBC with this Dan Patrick crap.

Bye-bye Team 1200 for the next next 4 months, I wonder how their advertisers feel about that?

Old
06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
I can't imagine it's more expensive to run the Montreal or Toronto TSN feed during the summer than a syndicated US show as they are owned by TSN right? I think they are more afraid of people getting hooked on the higher quality feeds out of MTL and TO so they won't broadcast them. Very short sited imho, it's not like Sens fans will stop listening during the hockey season, and I know I will switch to 990 when I can get it or FM for music/CBC with this Dan Patrick crap.

Bye-bye Team 1200 for the next next 4 months, I wonder how their advertisers feel about that?
I Listen to Tsn 990 in the car most days now.

Nailed it. Especially the last 2 weeks having the soccer championships over the Healthy scratches. I literally have no reason to listen to the station. Soccer has to be the most boring sport to listen to on the radio other than golf, which isn't a sport.

I think we will get Pierre up until July 1st and then that's it.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

I don't see who they would be worried about people getting hooked on Tsn Montreal or Toronto as Bell own all 3 i am a bit shocked there is only what 3 Tsn radios channels .

Old
06-25-2012, 10:17 AM
operasen

Pierre signed off today, so summer break now begins - development camp insight aside (if anything is broadcast)

Old
06-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Free agency starts Sunday. For the sake of Fans I hope The team at least broadcasts the TSN feed or have someone at the station do a 2 hour show covering something.

Closed Thread