HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
This is so ridiculous and misguided. I'm not sure you even know what you're talking about. Every argument you made has a flip side to it that directly supports the players.

Just in case you didn't realize, the players are the employees are the company product. People pay the owner of the team money to go watch his product perform on the ice and entertain them. Bad product equals bad team equals no one paying equals no money.

The fact is: the NHL could survive without a group of owners; they couldn't survive without players. They wouldn't even exist.
Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workingmen of all countries, unite!

Old
07-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
"I've been reviewing your work. Quite frankly, it stinks."
"Well, I've been having trouble at home and, uh, I'll work harder. Nights, weekends, whatever it takes."
"No, no, I don't think that's going to do it. These reports you handed in, it's almost as if you have no business training at all. I don't know what this is supposed to be."
"Well, I'm just trying to get ahead."
"I'm sorry, there's just no way that we can keep you on."
"I don't even really work here."
"That's what makes this so difficult."
lol, that's gold jerry.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:26 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workingmen of all countries, unite!
I'm happy to hear that you read something other than coloring books.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
I'm happy to hear that you read something other than coloring books.
oh! you really got me there, my intellect feels so compromised now.
Now run along back to your intro to poly sci classes, your utopian idealism will hopefully someday save us all.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Why has this thread turned into CBA talk? Well, since it has...

lol. I wonder how many wealthy people go that why by being okay with losing a couple million every year. I'll say not many.
You were on to something.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
otown

Been Listeneing to JR and the Simmer on TGOR and they are a doing a great job.
Conversation that sticks to sports for the most part, intelligent insight from the Simmer and JR is great at baiting him for the "insider stories". A great duo and maybe a solution to the morning show woes! Steve who?

Old
08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Been Listeneing to JR and the Simmer on TGOR and they are a doing a great job.
Conversation that sticks to sports for the most part, intelligent insight from the Simmer and JR is great at baiting him for the "insider stories". A great duo and maybe a solution to the morning show woes! Steve who?
Though I like Steve, Simmer does a better job bringing credibility. I want to hear less bad commentary, less stupid email's, and more Simmer. If Steve can fit in there good but if not move him to sportscall or something. Simmer does good where ever they put him.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Though I like Steve, Simmer does a better job bringing credibility. I want to hear less bad commentary, less stupid email's, and more Simmer. If Steve can fit in there good but if not move him to sportscall or something. Simmer does good where ever they put him.
Allthough i do like Simpson i have to agree with a few posters here, he loves his own jokes which gets quite old and talks to no end about certain players and his washington days, still better than before, id love to see some youth inserted into the lineup!

Old
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Allthough i do like Simpson i have to agree with a few posters here, he loves his own jokes which gets quite old and talks to no end about certain players and his washington days, still better than before, id love to see some youth inserted into the lineup!
I don't know I find Simpson laughing at his own jokes pretty funny. Overall the guy has a good view on hockey related stuff and seems to bring a balanced opinion. I actually don't mind the personal stories and generally enjoy hearing York and Simpson talk about their days within the game.

To each their own though. I'm sure some people actually liked Jungle Jim and I couldn't stand the guy.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Ohhh Franco

I agree that JR and Simmer have been top notch this week. I've never been a big fan of Steve Warne and his lame Mayor of Barrhaven schtick...and all his other non sense. I think its time to shift Warne to either another time slot, or to a whole new station. Turn the page!

Old
08-18-2012, 08:58 AM
koreaboy

i like steve. i think he's a quality broadcaster. i also like simmer, but soon enough he's gonna run out of "insider stories" to share with us.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

There's nothing like waking up at 5:30am hearing "HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

Old
08-18-2012, 06:14 PM
ZSensFan

IMHO Simmer is the best hockey radio guy on the TEAM easily, and the best I have ever heard since I've been listening the past 15 years or so. They should lock him up if they can, someone else is going to steal him, CTV is already using him for some spot work on TV. Same parent company I know, but don't think he's going to be on radio forever.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:24 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

It must be incredibly difficult to fill 3 hours of air time 5 days a week in a city like Ottawa. There is nothing going on here except hockey.

I used to despise the dandyman's show, but even with him I marveled at how he was able to talk about the CFL nonstop when we didn't even have a team.

Wonder what he's up to these days.

Old
08-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSensFan View Post
IMHO Simmer is the best hockey radio guy on the TEAM easily, and the best I have ever heard since I've been listening the past 15 years or so. They should lock him up if they can, someone else is going to steal him, CTV is already using him for some spot work on TV. Same parent company I know, but don't think he's going to be on radio forever.

Simmer is like gum under your shoes compared to Bob McKenzie and he's like a homeless guy compared to Galley's player and broadcaster presence, and that's EVEN if you can put aside Galley's somehat uneasy play by play presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
This.
He kinda reminds of Kulka when he went on about his football days, or Liam Maguire when he goes on about the Canadiens or Paul Henderson. He also has too much of a high voice for me to listen to for more of a few minutes.

Also, he and Calle Johansson should get a room. :p

The afternoon is great with Lloyd, Jakubec (LOVE his bitterness/anger) and the velvet-smooth Versage. I'd dump Jason York right away for the current format.

JR and Warne are really great together, when Warne isn't going off on a Leafs tangent or some weirdo heavy-breathing/tobacco voice Maxim tangent. It's a real shame Galley went to HNIC and coaching because he and JR were fantastic in the afternoons.

Macramella is starting to grow on me. He sounded like a stuffed shirt at first but now he is pretty listenable.

Last edited by Senators Growing: 08-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old
08-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
the velvet-smooth Versage.
LOL. SUSF. you're the best.

Old
08-19-2012, 06:36 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
It must be incredibly difficult to fill 3 hours of air time 5 days a week in a city like Ottawa. There is nothing going on here except hockey.

I used to despise the dandyman's show, but even with him I marveled at how he was able to talk about the CFL nonstop when we didn't even have a team.

Wonder what he's up to these days.
There is more then just hockey we have university sports you could do a hour each day just on that plus junior football then you have the soccer season starting you could have 2-3 hours each day on that.

Old
08-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I'll gauge out my eyes if they talk about soccer for 30 minutes, let alone 2-3 hours.

A lot of Ottawans would agree with me.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Yeah nobody is going to listen to university football.

With the renegades, the lynx and the expos just down the road, there still wasn't anything to talk about.

I really can't remember the last time I would have listened to the team 1200. Maybe a game I couldn't watch because I was in the car or after a game on the way home.

It's pretty much unlistenable.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
koreaboy

galley-JR used to be very, very good in the afternoon. yorkie isnt as good as galley but i still think he does a good job. if they ever lose pierre mcguire in the morning theyre gonna be in trouble.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
ZSensFan

I agree McKenzie and McGuire are head and shoulders above Simmer for hockey, but I was talking about guys who were regulars for the station, not just 10 minute call ins.

I don't love Galley, he seems like a good guy, but don't think his insight is nearly as good as McKenzie and McGuire, and frankly doesn't seem as bright, and got annoying if he was on the air too long. Just imho.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:21 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 5000
You guys are making Warne cry! He can be the mayor of whatever he wants

Old
08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Maybe TGOR should be Three guys again.Or Maybe Simpson should be Versage's partner on Sports Call.

Warnes' jabs at the Leafs are all in good fun and not everyone is as sensitive as Sens FanDan to criticism of the Leafs. Most Leaf fans seem to get a kick out of it and respond in kind.

Usual Suspects (usually Bruce Dowbiggin but I cant find his name on this piece)took a shot at Simpson in the Globe today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4490967/

Sometimes, to know the tweeter means reading fine print. Ottawa’s Team 1200 personality Shawn Simpson urged players to give up and accept the NHL’s offer. “If I was the NHLPA, I would accept almost everything, except a rollback. … I’m working in media. I’m not taking a side. Just being realistic. The players have zero leverage, in a sport that’s ticket driven.”

According to Simpson’s Twitter bio, he works for more than the media. “Minnesota Wild consultant” is another of his credentials.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

That's not really a shot. I believe that could be more accurately described as pointing out a conflict of interest.

Most radio guys that aren't former players, are complete dorks. Actually you can pretty much blanket that across the entire media.

Obviously there are a couple that aren't, but they're few and far between from what I've seen.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:29 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Worst thing about moving to Indonesia for 3 years: having to watch Sens games streamed on the internet at 6-7am for at least 3 years.

Best thing about moving to Indonesia for 3 years: never accidentally switching on TGOR in the car in the morning for a minimum of 3 years.

Closed Thread