HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Man, Gross is too emotional. I also never agree with him.
Cant stand that guy...

Old
08-16-2013, 12:39 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Dont know how I feel about 12 hours of local Sports... Jim Rome breaks up the day pretty well and adds some US content...

Between having 6-6 local content plus pre/post game shows, it will get very repetative.... Very fast
This..

Rome is actually funny, well-spoken, great interviewer, the show is well done. A lot of people think he's a ******, because he is, but he still makes great sports radio. Another plus is that he's also a big hockey fan.

He's accomplished more than anyone on the TEAM ever will, combined.

Old
08-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
This..

Rome is actually funny, well-spoken, great interviewer, the show is well done. A lot of people think he's a ******, because he is, but he still makes great sports radio. Another plus is that he's also a big hockey fan.

He's accomplished more than anyone on the TEAM ever will, combined.
Whoa I don't know about that. I mean he refused to talk hockey for his first 20 years or so on radio. I mean hockey isnt even in his top 10. He likes horse racing more than hockey FFS. College sports trumps any hockey talk as well. He is no hockey fan.

Old
08-16-2013, 06:09 AM
BK201

Quote:
Whoa I don't know about that. I mean he refused to talk hockey for his first 20 years or so on radio. I mean hockey isnt even in his top 10. He likes horse racing more than hockey FFS. College sports trumps any hockey talk as well. He is no hockey fan.
That's ok his show is out of southern California.

He talks hockey only in the playoffs, i don't need all hockey talk anyways, plus he gets stellar interviews.

Old
08-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
That's ok his show is out of southern California.

He talks hockey only in the playoffs, i don't need all hockey talk anyways, plus he gets stellar interviews.
Hey I love Rome...Been listening since 2000 or so...I was just stating how he is not a hockey fan, let alone a "Big" hockey fan.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:
Man, Gross is too emotional. I also never agree with him.
Is he ever, i could hear him getting physically mad over the radio when he was disagreeing often with most callers....a stubborn, boring, non fan of the team lol thanks for the great perspective! On the other hand Versage was bringing it, used to be indifferent with him but lately i have really enjoyed his takes

Old
08-16-2013, 10:10 AM
BankStreetParade

Rome is such a joke. His shtick wears off so quickly. The callers are all idiots as far as I can tell. And the smack off has to be the biggest disgrace to call-in radio, humor and insults ever publicly aired. I can't understand how this guy has such a big following. He gets good interviews and that's about it. Everything else is such a waste of time. And the whole thing where he keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over again. Holy ****. Move on. It's funny like once out of every 100 times he does it.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:32 AM
BonkTastic
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankStreetParade View Post
Rome is such a joke. His shtick wears off so quickly. The callers are all idiots as far as I can tell. And the smack off has to be the biggest disgrace to call-in radio, humor and insults ever publicly aired. I can't understand how this guy has such a big following. He gets good interviews and that's about it. Everything else is such a waste of time. And the whole thing where he keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over again. Holy ****. Move on. It's funny like once out of every 100 times he does it.
Bang, there you go. Your question and answer, in 15 words or less.

His schtick may be as played out as a Pauly Shore Summer Blockbuster, but the guy consistently gets good guests on his show, and he himself is quite a good interviewer. I dislike the rest of the show, but I always tuned in for parts of it if I knew there was a good guest coming on.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:42 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
I don't know about the history, but in the past 4 years I've found him to give pretty decent coverage of hockey compared to other American sports shows.

I've heard other radio hosts actually make fun of hockey and refuse to give it any credibility. Rome always talks about how playoffs are the best in the NHL, no one does a game 7 like the NHL, etc.

I think his coverage of hockey is more a reflection of it's popularity in America than it is about his personal preference.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
BK201

Quote:
Hey I love Rome...Been listening since 2000 or so...I was just stating how he is not a hockey fan, let alone a "Big" hockey fan.
Sweet I like his show a lot too.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:49 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankStreetParade View Post
And I thought I was the only one. So basically everyone is just listening to, at most, half his show? Since the interviews only take that much.

Old
08-26-2013, 06:51 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Jim Rome not a hockey fan at all - he probably had those Kings season tickets for years just to say he did.

Does he talk hockey a lot - no. But do the Team guys talk NBA a lot? No. Why? Know your listeners.

How many national shows in the US interviewed Daniel Alfredsson, Sidney Crosby etc in the playoffs last year?

I really hope the Team/TSN doesn't axe Rome. Great guests, perfect break from the all Sens all the time on local radio.

And he barely even takes calls from people anymore. He's gone full weeks without any of the "clones" on the show.

Old
08-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Jim Rome not a hockey fan at all - he probably had those Kings season tickets for years just to say he did.

Does he talk hockey a lot - no. But do the Team guys talk NBA a lot? No. Why? Know your listeners.

How many national shows in the US interviewed Daniel Alfredsson, Sidney Crosby etc in the playoffs last year?

I really hope the Team/TSN doesn't axe Rome. Great guests, perfect break from the all Sens all the time on local radio.

And he barely even takes calls from people anymore. He's gone full weeks without any of the "clones" on the show.
I think people just don't find his show interesting anymore. His interviews are great but everything else is a little tired. The Team needs to have guys talking about all sports. Lee is most likely going to get his own show because he is one of the most knowledgeable about sports. I think he will get the Rome time slot and have a co-host. Now, Lee is not better than Rome but I think he will do a good job catering to an Ottawa market.

I listen to TSN 690 during the Rome show when the radio is on and much prefer hearing Canadians talking sports than Americans.

I still the the team is missing an NHL show. There used to be one on Saturday's on the old team 990 a few years ago that was great.

Old
08-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Chip Chipperson

While we're talking about Rome, did Alfredsson get the worst jungle Karma ever?

After his interview: 1. Pittsburgh smashed us. 2. He left the team. 3. Rumors of Rome being taken off the air in Ottawa.

It can't get much worse than that

Old
08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Ron Jeremy

Rome sucks

Old
08-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Spire2000

Was listening to TGOR this morning and more hints were dropped about the impending switch to TSN radio.

Steve and Hammer were giving JR the gears for the amount of vacation he takes, mock arguing begins. Finally,:

JR: You know, we're supposed to be a team around here.

Steve: I guess that's why we're called The Team (for now) 1200

JR: What are you hinting at Steve?

Steve: In the literary business, this is what they call foreshadowing.

JR: Let's change the topic

Old
08-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Larionov

Frankly, I'm shocked that it has taken this long. The branding switch to TSN Radio has been an inevitability ever since TSN's parent company acquired control of the radio stations. You don't own that many stations and not try to brand them effectively. A Fall rollout and promo campaign, timed to coincide with ratings time, makes the most sense.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Mitch Melnyk from TSN 990 officially let it out of the bag during the draft show in NJ. AJ was trying to play damage control.

He pretty much said "so, why haven't you guys changed over to TSN yet"?

Old
08-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Neil interview in 5 minutes on TEAM 1200.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

recap?

Old
08-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
recap?

Sens Forward Chris Neil joins TGOR

Chris Neil talks about his summer, concussions, hitting in the NHL, life without Alfie and would he hit Alfie if given the chance.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...ins%20TGOR.mp3

Old
08-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Sens Forward Chris Neil joins TGOR

Chris Neil talks about his summer, concussions, hitting in the NHL, life without Alfie and would he hit Alfie if given the chance.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...ins%20TGOR.mp3
Thanks!

Old
08-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Spire2000

Prediction: The switch to TSN Radio is announced on Tuesday, after the long weekend, and takes effect on Sept 30th, the week before the NHL regular season.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Ohhh Franco

I love how Simmer refers to his condo as being in "South Rockcliffe" instead of just saying Vanier. Vanier's on the up swing so it's nothing to be ashamed of. Certainly wouldnt be as embarrassing as nicknaming yourself "The Mayor of Barrhaven". BARF!

Old
08-29-2013, 04:36 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Mike Carroccetto‏@wildfiremike7m
Rumors abound that @TEAM1200Ottawa to axe @jimrome from his mid-day slot. Going local talk 6am-6pm. Will rebrand to TSN Radio 1200 this fall
Thank ****ing god. I cant stand Jim Rome. Smack dead in the middle of the day we get 3 hours of talk about American baseball, football, and basketball teams...no thanks.

I cant tell you how many times something major has happened and I tune into 1200 expecting to hear talk about it only to hear Jim ****ing Rome.

Closed Thread