HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

vCash: 500
Simmer also mentioned that he knows enough after asking enough questions around the team that there is some concern about bobby ryan's conditioning and/or performance so far.

Simmer is still my favorite on 1200. He does a lot of laughing and a lot of talking but is more knowledgeable and experienced than most of the rest. I'd listen a lot less without him on there.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
I find Simmers laugh contagious.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Sex and sports is like peas and carrots.

What is with this Puritan attitude. People have sex and it's funny!! Most people like hearing about sex. Fact.
Not when you tune in to listen to sports talk. God awful jokes that only he laughs at is a tell tale sign you ain't funny.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Snick

If I want to listen to sex on the radio I'll tune in to Dr. Jenn or Lou. I tune in to a sports radio show to hear sports talk. Simmer is getting close to the Duke and Dandyman as the most innapropriate sports show hosts in Ottawa. Time for a major overhaul of the Team 1200 (except the 10-12 slot).

Old
09-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I find Simmers laugh contagious.
The Black Plague was contagious too and I wouldn't want to be near that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Not when you tune in to listen to sports talk. God awful jokes that only he laughs at is a tell tale sign you ain't funny.
^ This. He's killing Versage's career. I really wish Lee would head off for greener pastures, not that I dislike him (he's extremely knowledgeable) but his talents are wasted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
If I want to listen to sex on the radio I'll tune in to Dr. Jenn or Lou. I tune in to a sports radio show to hear sports talk. Simmer is getting close to the Duke and Dandyman as the most innapropriate sports show hosts in Ottawa. Time for a major overhaul of the Team 1200 (except the 10-12 slot).
Agreed on your first part, a little less so on the second part.
Morning: Boot Warne. He's too obsessed with the Leafs and it's killing my joy. Keep JR, he's got a sexy sly humour + he's Dutch. Thrifty + sports = .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Simmer also mentioned that he knows enough after asking enough questions around the team that there is some concern about bobby ryan's conditioning and/or performance so far.

Simmer is still my favorite on 1200. He does a lot of laughing and a lot of talking but is more knowledgeable and experienced than most of the rest. I'd listen a lot less without him on there.
The problem with Simmer: His sports takes are hit and miss. He insisted to his death thta Roy was getting a management spot in Montreal, but anyone that had read any Montreal media knew this to be untrue. When you're refuted by just picking up the paper, ouch. He's also worked in Washington (nothing org), Minnesota (nothing org), Toronto (nothing org) so it's like a triple threat of losing. Pierre McGuire brings a lot more insight and a bit of a dangerous growl to his voice that's sexy and enticing.

His (Simmer) Ryan take was amazing though. I want a LOT more of that and a lot less of WSH/TOR/MIN stuff.

Quote:
I don't understand why the guy laughs all the time. It is terrible for radio. I wish he would stop with all the sexual innuendo. I like hearing his point of view, though I don't always agree, he has more knowledge of the game than many on the station. No major sports network will take this guy seriously. Many of our radio hosts get promoted to better positions in the media world. He seems to be content just having a job.

he is Jungle Jim with more knowledge of sports.
The salient point and exactly why Team 1200 lags tremendously behind other TSN properties, and why it could really benefit from a massive wrench in the works. I just don't get why they brought in Simmer in the first place. Showkiller Melon's Son was also an annoying ******, but at least his faux Jim Rome was semi-entertaining for a week. Seriously, just put Terry Marcotte with Versage already, great duo.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

There are going to have to be a mix of personalities and styles on the radio, especially the morning and afternoon drive shows to keep a larger group of people interested.

Now that Jungle is gone, I guess people need to pick someone else to complain about, since we're great at that in Ottawa.

Shawn Simpson is it, apparently.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
There are going to have to be a mix of personalities and styles on the radio, especially the morning and afternoon drive shows to keep a larger group of people interested.

Now that Jungle is gone, I guess people need to pick someone else to complain about, since we're great at that in Ottawa.

Shawn Simpson is it, apparently.
Do you ever listen to the other sports stations in Canada or the US?

None of them have this kind of talk over the air. The problem is that he is constant with the sexual jokes where he is making the conversation personal amongst the host and leaving out the listener, not to mention making other uncomfortable. You can just hear it when there is dead silence masked by his laughing. He talks about himself so much and makes sure who ever he interviews know his points are valid too because he has worked in the league makes for "all about Simmer radio".

When you interview someone you are supposed to ask them the questions not get them to agree with what you think.

Last week when Simmer and Terry were making fun of Lee liking Justin Beiber, it was friggin' hilarious. that's funny, not sex talk.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...20hour%201.mp3

3/4 the way in. Funny.

Last edited by Stylizer1: 09-23-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old
09-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

We're losing Rome??? What the??? No... Just no... Not happy at all. And the Sklar Brothers

Old
09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Do you ever listen to the other sports stations in Canada or the US?

None of them have this kind of talk over the air. The problem is that he is constant with the sexual jokes where he is making the conversation personal amongst the host and leaving out the listener, not to mention making other uncomfortable. You can just hear it when there is dead silence masked by his laughing. He talks about himself so much and makes sure who ever he interviews know his points are valid too because he has worked in the league makes for "all about Simmer radio".

When you interview someone you are supposed to ask them the questions not get them to agree with what you think.

Last week when Simmer and Terry were making fun of Lee liking Justin Beiber, it was friggin' hilarious. that's funny, not sex talk.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...20hour%201.mp3

3/4 the way in. Funny.
I just dont care. If Im not a fan of what i'm listening to, I don't listen to it. I don't really understand complaining to the internet over something so trivial.

Regardless, you might not like Simpson, but he's one of the very few potential hosts willing to work in Ottawa that has a real history with the NHL and connections because of it. He brings credibility to the station.

Ottawa is a small pond, the best radio personalities go to bigger cities for bigger dollars. Look at James Duthie. There is a reason he works for TSN, because he's good enough and he got the hell out of Ottawa to do it. Scott Macarthur and Mike Eastwood both jumped ship to greener pastures as soon as they could.

The sports personalities that work on the team1200 are either from Ottawa, or spent time here professionally and live here because they want to. That's just the way it is.

I'd rather Simpson then somebody like Gross, or "Tie Domi beats his wife" Dandyman.

Old
09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

I'm sorry, but when murray wilson speaks i cover my ears. Negative value for my brain.

Old
09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Silex

Rumour has it that Ian Mendes is leaving Sportsnet to become a Team1200 host.

http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/changes-in-ontario-sports-media-scene/18175

Old
09-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silex View Post

http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/changes-in-ontario-sports-media-scene/18175
Mendes is good. I like it.

Old
09-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:

from tv to radio?

mendes is one of my favorites. as long as he sticks around with ottawa senators hockey i'm happy.

so, simmer and mendes on the drive?

Old
09-26-2013, 02:47 PM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

vCash: 400
Not really sure if this is the place for shameless self-promotion, but my buddies and I are trying to gain some experience in sports broadcasting, and are now in our second season broadcasting the Jr. B EOJHL.

We currently have two broadcasts a week, and our next one is tonight at 7:20. Warning- the feed for tonight's game might not be great, as Ottawa-West has a very echo-ey rink, but please feel free to give a listen to one of our other games!

I would appreciate ANY and ALL comments

Thanks guys

http://www.spreaker.com/user/ottsportsbrdgrp

Old
09-26-2013, 03:02 PM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

Quote:

I think two things have changed for Ian over the last 1-2 years especially:
1) He's got more opinion to give as developed through his speaking engagements across the country - Sens broadcasts never gave him an opportunity to be a personality (aka someone with an opinion)
2) Young family - tired of being on road and missing milestone family moments, as indicated by his today's parents writing over the last year where he wishes he was at home more.

Both of those will be achieved if he takes a radio gig

A monkey could handle the Sens broadcasts

Old
09-26-2013, 03:22 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

If this is true, you gotta feel for lee versage.

The guy just can't stick as a permahost for one of the three shows. Even when they gave him the late morning slot he was stuck with brickhead glen kulka.

Oh well.

Mendez used to drive me nuts, but he's smoothed out over the years. He should be fun to listen to

Old
09-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:

Sure hope this is true but it may also be a stepping stone into TSN's growing TV game broadcasts.

Old
09-26-2013, 03:48 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:

I wonder if they would pair him with Jason York.

Old
09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Ohhh Franco

Mendes being added to Team/TSN 1200 is a huge boon for that *new* station. He writes for Today's Parent (or something like that?) and often tweets about his parenting adventures. Making the switch to radio will keep him closer to home much more - if not entirely.

Here's a blog post from his wife - who's also a pretty interesting follow on Twitter/her blog.

http://themotherofadventure.com/2013.../the-suitcase/

Old
09-26-2013, 10:29 PM
trobby

Great pickup by the Team/TSN 1200.

Hopefully he'll still get a chance to do articles from time-to-time. I love his sense of humor.

Old
09-26-2013, 10:49 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Ian Mendes has been someone I really trust in his reporting. He does have a decent sense of humour, but he also seems very serious about the information he disseminates and he's one of few reporters who instills a sense of trustworthiness (sorry for saying that twice). I hope he receives a raise - he certainly deserves it.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:30 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Great pickup by the Team/TSN 1200.

Hopefully he'll still get a chance to do articles from time-to-time. I love his sense of humor.
Did I miss something or is this wishful thinking of you guys?

Old
09-26-2013, 11:41 PM
L'Aveuglette
Beef-mode activated

Funniest moment on the Team today: Garrioch babbling about how completely sure he is that Da Costa would clear waivers should that happen since all teams feel like they are set for the season.

Such a knowledgeable chap that Brucey!

Old
09-26-2013, 11:45 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Such a knowledgeable chap that Brucey!
I think he is. It's just that he's always inciting things. He clearly sees SDC playing well and people talking good things about him.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:00 AM
L'Aveuglette
Beef-mode activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I think he is. It's just that he's always inciting things. He clearly sees SDC playing well and people talking good things about him.
Sure, he likes SDC, but he can't be so sure he'd clear waivers when he's played so well throughout the preseason and so many teams would probably love to give him a shot on their 2nd line. Garrioch always thinks he's speaking the truth but half the time he's speaking out of his a$$.

Closed Thread