HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainDotC View Post
Ian Mendes has been someone I really trust in his reporting. He does have a decent sense of humour, but he also seems very serious about the information he disseminates and he's one of few reporters who instills a sense of trustworthiness (sorry for saying that twice). I hope he receives a raise - he certainly deserves it.
If he ends up with Simmer I hope his professionalism rubs of him.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
If he ends up with Simmer I hope his professionalism rubs of him.
Hopefully he boots Simmer off, but isn't Mendes also a Cowboys fan? He and Versage waxing poetic on that team might be nauseating. I welcome Ian though, he's a great listen, great sense of humour, great EVERYTHING!

Old
09-27-2013, 09:20 AM
God Says No

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Hopefully he boots Simmer off, but isn't Mendes also a Cowboys fan? He and Versage waxing poetic on that team might be nauseating. I welcome Ian though, he's a great listen, great sense of humour, great EVERYTHING!
Yip, and seems like a swell guy in general.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

I say Mendes does the 12-3 slot Because I think Lee is too good to bumped again. Would love if he did an NHL show. I'm sure he has a lot of connections. Even Leave Rome for the first hour then switch to Mindy.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:40 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

They are definitely switching to TSN soon. This morning on TGOR, JR made a wisecrack about a caller. He said something along the lines of "it's like this isn't even a TEAM anymore." And Steve piped in with the one word comment "foreshadowing".
They're not being too subtle. This must be happening soon.

Old
09-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
They are definitely switching to TSN soon. This morning on TGOR, JR made a wisecrack about a caller. He said something along the lines of "it's like this isn't even a TEAM anymore." And Steve piped in with the one word comment "foreshadowing".
They're not being too subtle. This must be happening soon.
I think it was speculated in this thread that the big announcement of rebranding to TSN 1200 will go down at the "Season Launch Party" that they've been pumping and giving away tickets to.

Old
09-27-2013, 07:27 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:
I say Mendes does the 12-3 slot Because I think Lee is too good to bumped again. Would love if he did an NHL show. I'm sure he has a lot of connections. Even Leave Rome for the first hour then switch to Mindy.
I have no clue why'd they'd get rid of Rome. He probably brings in the most listeners for the station...

Old
09-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
I have no clue why'd they'd get rid of Rome. He probably brings in the most listeners for the station...
None of the other TSN radio stations carry him or Team stations.

I think Canadians want to hear sports from a Canadian point of View. Personally I want to hear more Hockey talk than anything else. If Rome treated hockey like he does the other sports he would probably be on more stations up here. as it stands his show is good but too American.

Old
09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:

I think Canadians want to hear sports from a Canadian point of View. Personally I want to hear more Hockey talk than anything else. If Rome treated hockey like he does the other sports he would probably be on more stations up here. as it stands his show is good but too American.
I dunno, I kind of like getting a little break from hockey. 3 hours a day to talk about NCAA, NFL, MLB, NBA is great.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:13 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:

Rome will cover more hockey when there is more demand for it. In his video for showtime he says that hockey is his favorite spectator sport, I remember someone else mentioning that he's had Kings season tickets for a decade.

He just talks about what the listeners want to hear about. If he had callers and emailers talking about hockey all the time he'd start to talk about it. Kinda tough when for that to happen if you remove him from the radio for not talking about it enough.

Your reply also doesn't address my point that Rome probably brings in the most listeners to the Team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
I dunno, I kind of like getting a little break from hockey. 3 hours a day to talk about NCAA, NFL, MLB, NBA is great.
This as well. I'd love if Rome did a hockey segment a day, but it's a nice break to get all the top stories from all the other leagues that I don't have time to follow as in-depth as hockey.

My favorite time to listen to the team is from 12-3 when Rome is on. I like listening to the Sens/hockey talk, but other than the NHL power hour it's basically mind numbing rambling. I really don't care about the personal lives of the team 1200 hosts and that's what they talk about half the time.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather listen to Rome talk about basically anything, than "Yorkie" and "the Lloyd" bumbling on about a random tangent that popped into Yorkie's head.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
otown

Mendes would be a good addition to 1200
Pairing with "the Simmer" could be interesting.
As much as I appreciate Simmers frank opinions about hockey he has a tendency to take over interviews with the "when I was in Washington, when I was in Toronto and when I was in Russia stories." He usually asks guests good questions and definitely isn't a homer (which is refreshing) but often gets side tracked with the "jungle" syndrome.

Versage is doing an honourable job putting up with him.

Bring on the rebrand! TSN 1200.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Sens Rule

I like Rome but would not mind if the didn't carry the show live. Like at night at midnight or something in case I can't sleep. It isn't like he gets tons of calls from Ottawa. It would be better then the regular later night feeds the Team broadcasts now.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:20 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
I like Rome but would not mind if the didn't carry the show live. Like at night at midnight or something in case I can't sleep. It isn't like he gets tons of calls from Ottawa. It would be better then the regular later night feeds the Team broadcasts now.
Who knows how many calls/emails/tweets he gets from Ottawa... I hear him read an Ottawa email a few times a week. Pretty good for a guy that 2.5 million listeners a day. I can't even imagine how he sorts through his emails.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
Who knows how many calls/emails/tweets he gets from Ottawa... I hear him read an Ottawa email a few times a week. Pretty good for a guy that 2.5 million listeners a day. I can't even imagine how he sorts through his emails.
I don't think it not being live would affect much the number of listeners in Ottawa vs an overnight feed like now. I guess Rome might cost more for content though perhaps.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Ohhh Franco

I think Team 1260 Edmonton just switched or soon is flipping to TSN 1260. We're next!

Old
09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
I don't like Rome but I'll admit he'd be an upgrade on the crap the Team carries overnight. I work nights but I find J.T "the Brick" on weekdays and "Big Ben" Mallard on the weekends to be completely unlistenable.

On second thought I'd probably still not listen to Rome. Hopefully TSN will initiate some kind of national overnight sports talk like Fox and ESPN do in the States.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:03 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Mendes would be a good addition to 1200
Pairing with "the Simmer" could be interesting.
As much as I appreciate Simmers frank opinions about hockey he has a tendency to take over interviews with the "when I was in Washington, when I was in Toronto and when I was in Russia stories." He usually asks guests good questions and definitely isn't a homer (which is refreshing) but often gets side tracked with the "jungle" syndrome.

Versage is doing an honourable job putting up with him.

Bring on the rebrand! TSN 1200.
Doubt that anyone needs any further evidence, but for about one hour last Monday the Team1200 website had a TSN1200 banner. Looked like somebody was demoing the rebranded site and accidentally made it public.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:24 PM
FreakyBunny

I can't stand the way Simpson asks questions. Most of the time he gives the answer himself and the guest doesn't have much more to say.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Mike999
Colin Greening's BFF

Send a message via MSN to Mike999
Was/Is anyone at the Team 1200 NHL Launch party at Real Sports?Any news come from them about the TSN switchover? I had a good discussion with one of the Ottawa Bell Media Sales Reps when looking to purchase some ad space on The Team 1200 and he was saying the switchover was imminent, but didnt give any deets.

Old
09-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
I think Team 1260 Edmonton just switched or soon is flipping to TSN 1260. We're next!
Yup.

https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw

To Team 1260 listeners - migration to TSN brand now has Offside on at noon and not 9. Sorry for confusion.

Old
09-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post
I can't stand the way Simpson asks questions. Most of the time he gives the answer himself and the guest doesn't have much more to say.
It's the old WWJBD? "What Would Jan Bulis Do?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
Was/Is anyone at the Team 1200 NHL Launch party at Real Sports?Any news come from them about the TSN switchover? I had a good discussion with one of the Ottawa Bell Media Sales Reps when looking to purchase some ad space on The Team 1200 and he was saying the switchover was imminent, but didnt give any deets.
I think that's tomorrow night? I would have tried to enter but 3-5 hours with Simmer eh...if it had been JR or someone in his place I would have entered nonstop.
JR is the BOMB.

Old
09-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Legend Killer

TSN Radio is heeeeeeere

TGOR 6-10
In the Box 10-2
The Drive 2-6

Not crazy about losing Jim Rome but at least they arent just picking up a Toronto show.

Poor Lee Versage

Last edited by Legend Killer: 09-30-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old
09-30-2013, 05:16 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Officially TSN 1200.

6am-10am - TGOR
10am-2pm - In the Box
2pm-6pm - Simmer and Mendes

Boo to the loss of Jim Rome

Old
09-30-2013, 05:31 AM
FreakyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Officially TSN 1200.

6am-10am - TGOR
10am-2pm - In the Box
2pm-6pm - Simmer and Mendes

Boo to the loss of Jim Rome
At least it's all local programming. Rome got old to me a few years ago. Mendes should be a good addition...let's hope all those years on Sportsnet will help him land more interviews.

Old
09-30-2013, 05:40 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
All local programming is a major downer.

Closed Thread