Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2011, 06:21 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Bangor...You are the heart of UMaine territory which would be a death wish for the Q.

Portland...You won't see a team there with the Portland Pirares in town.

I think one of the many problems this team face is outside the Lewiston/Auburn area doesn't know what junior hockey is. They think its glorified high school hockey.

A month a ago I was listening to a Portland base radio sports show and a caller asked who would win between a match up between the Pirates and the Maineiacs.

The Marketing of this team was almost non-existent after they went to the Memorial Cup. There marking this year was social media and last minute promotions.
Funny story...

Their Marketing Director then went on to work for the Pirates. He also got a call from the Monarchs.

Old
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Maineiacs coaching staff in ‘holding pattern’
Published on: 1st June, 2011 by Nathan Fournier

Quote:
It’s not exactly how you’d expect the coaching staff of a QMJHL team to find out they no longer have employment. For JF Houle and Darren Rumble, they found out the news of the Lewiston Maineiacs demise around the same time that everyone else did.
Link>>>

Old
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
human zamboni

You can look at attendance records in comparison to the league and see average to just below average, even in the 3 year dead period. This team was God awful for 3 solid years and still had a decent base. This past year they had no front office staff all summer until the week before preseason and still did ok at the gate, finally putting a good product on the ice.

While I don't doubt that Just lost money, I do believe he checked out the day they hung the banner. Every quote from him the past 4 years refers to that night with "only 2500" people in the stands, that he knew right then it couldn't work. He fails to mention that there were 2500 more people up the hill at a high school football game that night, and that his then GM and Marketing person were at best lazy, and at worst incompetent. They drove away more businesses than anyone like Bill Schurman could ever hope to win back.

This past season I brought two friends to an early seats next to mine. They had a check in hand for $900....and were told "We're saving those seats for a season ticket holder from last season". Needless to say they were flabbergasted and left the game with the check still in hand. They did not come to another game.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I believe Just was done in Lewiston 4 years ago, and done with the league this year...hence not even applying for a move. As far as I know the Canadian teams in the Q receive financial assistance from some form of government, and in Lewiston that did not occur. Add to that the increased costs of running the team in the US, and you have a recipe for struggle....compounded by the MANY poor business and personnel decisions made by the team. In the end, it didn't work, but for him to blame the people of this area-AGAIN is disingenuous and even ignorant. The one constant in Mr. Just's struggles to succeed financially in this league is Mr. Just himself. Just 9 years ago he failed in Sherbrooke, and now he's failed again. Obviously the city of Sherbrooke wasn't to blame then as the league is already returning there, albeit without Mr. Just.

Old
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
montrealhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 View Post
It will be held on Friday, but not certain about a time yet. Looking on Twitter, many of the Maineiacs' players were kept in the dark the entire time and they all feel abandoned for what happened. Now they are extremely nervous and anxious as to where they will end up. A guy like Cameron Critchlow, who will be an overager, doesn't even know if he'll be on a
team next year.
Do you (or anyone) know the rules for the dispersal draft? Who drafts first? Is it a lottery draft or based on last year's standings?

Old
06-01-2011, 11:55 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealhp View Post
Do you (or anyone) know the rules for the dispersal draft? Who drafts first? Is it a lottery draft or based on last year's standings?
Still no news on how the dispersal draft is going to be run. I'm assuming they are basically coming up with the rules on the spot since this isn't something they really prepare for. Between the dispersal draft and Nathan MacKinnon being up in the air still, this could be a really interesting weekend for QMJHL fans.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:38 AM
QcS

As it`s been done in the past, it looks like the dispersal draft will be done exactly like the draft.. (the same order of teams i mean).

Some of the stronger teams didn`t want that, they would rather have a random lottery, but i seriously doubt that`ll happen.

The debate right now is about money. The league wants a certain amount of money (30K i think) per player drafted in this dispersal. Some poorer franchises and some franchises that finished high in the standings are not too keen on that.. especially to get 3rd or 4th liners.

Also, i assume they are establishing what the new schedule and format will be like with only 17 teams for the year.

Tomorrow`s the dispersal draft, so we should have the info sometime today.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Trevor3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Bangor...You are the heart of UMaine territory which would be a death wish for the Q.

Portland...You won't see a team there with the Portland Pirares in town.

I think one of the many problems this team face is outside the Lewiston/Auburn area doesn't know what junior hockey is. They think its glorified high school hockey.

A month a ago I was listening to a Portland base radio sports show and a caller asked who would win between a match up between the Pirates and the Maineiacs.

The Marketing of this team was almost non-existent after they went to the Memorial Cup. There marking this year was social media and last minute promotions.
Facepalm on my part due to Portland, no idea how I forgot about the Pirates.

The "not knowing what junior hockey is" argument is a part of why I believe St. John's failed as well. It's hard to take a league into a market that has never had any relationship with it prior. Lewiston and, Maine in general, were never producing players for the Q on a regular basis (as far as I can tell). Also, being the first team to try the city, you have to market. And if they did as little as you and several others say, its almost a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:41 AM
KINgGh0sT

I just read an article from a Mooseheads beat writer, and it seems like Dispersal will be the same as the draft. He was talking about Baie-Comeau getting first selection. I could be wrong in this assumption.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:48 AM
ace111

The dispersal draft is going to be interesting. From what I have read there will be costs associated with each pick. The first overall pick will cost the team 62000 and then decrease by 4000 each pick thereafter. How is that going to affect smaller market teams who might not want to spend that money. And on the flip side what will the larger market teams offer to move up?
This could be a very quick way for a team to rebuild very quickly.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
QcS

In the span of 2 days, Baie Comeau could end up with Nathan Mackinnon and Samuel Carrier. That changes a team for the best!

BUT...

Mackinnon doesn`t want to play for Baie Comeau.

I friggin hate it when youngsters choose their teams. Why have small markets in the league if they constantly get shafted because no one wants to play there? sucks for their fans.
Let`s hope they draft him and let him rot. They could get a good package in return, but things will never change if no one ever makes a stand.

As for my Piques, they draft 13th in the dispersal draft today.. so either a 20 year old player, a draft pick, or something like that.. i wouldn`t be surprise if they went for the 17 year old goalie Lewiston had.. can`t remember his name at the moment.
OR the first round pick..

Should be interesting!

Old
06-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Parisien over Makarov?

Russell

Old
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Première ronde

1 - Rouyn-Noranda : Dillon Fournier
2 - Baie-Comeau : Samuel Carrier
3 - Shawinigan (de C-B) : Michael Chaput
4 - Halifax : 1er choix LEW
5 - Val-d’Or : Samuel Henley
6 - Chicoutimi : Étienne Brodeur
7 - Rimouski : Francis Beauvillier
8 - Victoriaville : Samuel Finn
9 - Victoriaville (de Î.-P.-É.) : Stefan Fournier
10 - Moncton : Christophe Lalonde
11 - Shawinigan : Pierre-Olivier Morin
12 - Acadie-Bathurst : Matthew Bissonette
13 - Gatineau : Antoine Bibeau
14 - Drummondville : Bryce Milson
15 - Québec : 3e choix LEW
16 - Montréal : Kirill Kabanov
17 - Saint John : Ian Saab

Deuxième ronde

1 - Saint John : 4e choix LEW
2 - Montréal : Jess Tanguy
3 - Québec : 5e choix LEW
4 - Drummondville : Braydon Wood
5 - Gatineau : Zachary Evans-Renaud
6 - Acadie-Bathurst : 6e choix LEW
7 - Shawinigan : Cole Hawes
8 - Moncton : Alex Zafiris
9 - Î.-P.-É. : Aucune sélection
10 - Victoriaville : Cameron Critchlow
11 - Rimouski : 8e choix LEW
12 - Chicoutimi : Aucune sélection
13 - Val-d’Or : 9e choix LEW
14 - Halifax : Jonathan Parisien
15 - Cap-Breton : 9e choix LEW
16 - Baie-Comeau : Aucune sélection
17 - Rouyn-Noranda : Aucune sélection

Old
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Parisien over Makarov?

Russell
Halifax doesn't have a Euro spot open...

Old
06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Halifax doesn't have a Euro spot open...
Abeltshauser days are numbered apparently.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Really? Is he turning pro next year?

Old
06-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Says who?
He can't turn pro here in North America until next year and San Jose would likely talk him out of returning to Germany. Plus his departure opens up a huge hole on Halifax's blueline, even with the addiiton of Parisien.

I'm actually interested to see what Abeltshauser brings next year, considering how strong his second half and the playoffs were.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Parisien over Makarov?

Russell
Terenzio will be their number 1. No Euro spot either.

I don't know much about Parisien but it gives them a veteran defender.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
CarlBrewer

Youngsters Choosing their team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
In the span of 2 days, Baie Comeau could end up with Nathan Mackinnon and Samuel Carrier. That changes a team for the best!

BUT...

Mackinnon doesn`t want to play for Baie Comeau.

I friggin hate it when youngsters choose their teams. Why have small markets in the league if they constantly get shafted because no one wants to play there? sucks for their fans.
Let`s hope they draft him and let him rot. They could get a good package in return, but things will never change if no one ever makes a stand.

As for my Piques, they draft 13th in the dispersal draft today.. so either a 20 year old player, a draft pick, or something like that.. i wouldn`t be surprise if they went for the 17 year old goalie Lewiston had.. can`t remember his name at the moment.
OR the first round pick..

Should be interesting!

I think that is the nature of the beast with certain players. What is good about being bilingual and a good academic student is that it gives you options....in life...and in hockey... An organization that can not prove that they have a good plan for kids academically and hockey development will always be facing problems with kids that chose to exercise those options. Someone coming out of University with a diploma that has an offer from a Canadian Company for $X and another from a US company for $Y will have the right to make a choice where he wants to work. Why do we find it so tough to handle when kids and families ....with their future before them exercise the same rights.
The Q is lucky because of the uni-lingual nature of most of the kids coming out of midget that they don't lose more kids to the NCAA. The OHL and WHL lose a considerable lot more. Yes, it is frustrating for a small market team to compete with the larger markets, but that's in all facets of business.
In terms of McKinnon, hell he is playing in the states now....bombarded with offers from probably all 50+ D1 schools.
He is in the driver seat. If Baie Comeau wastes a draft pick after he tells them not to pick him....well that is their fault. I would have a problem if he leads them to think he will show up for camp and they pick him and he does a hold out, that would be unfair to Baie Comeau.
He has all the leverage at this point and yes...that is hard for the Q, Baie Comeau to accept. How many kids have washed up, been thrown under the bus by teams because they did not develop as fast as the team wanted. Nobody ever cries fowl during these situations.
All it takes is one game in a uniform for a kid to throw away all his leverage and lose any chance at playing D1 NCAA hockey.
I look forward to following the draft tomorrow....I assume it will be on the league website. Does anyone know if it will be on RDS?

Old
06-03-2011, 04:18 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

Shawinigan definitely getting ready for that Memorial Cup next year with Chaput and Morin coming to their team. It is nice to see some of the guys being able to stick together, like the three that went to Victoriaville. The only team not making a selection in the disperal draft was PEI.

Closed Thread