HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Brent

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 09:26 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Tim Brent

For those of you that aren't familiar with Brent, he was drafted by Anaheim at 37th overall in the 2002 draft. He wasn't signed by the June 1 deadline and had/got to re-enter the draft.

Normally, I wouldn't even think of suggesting we draft a 20 year old in the 2nd round... especially one that's in the draft because he didn't sign with the team that drafted him 2 years ago. But... the more I think about it, the more I think he'd be a good 2nd round pick. The main reason he intrigues me is because he's closer to the NHL than anyone else we could draft in the middle of the 2nd round.

His high contract demands would be somewhat a concern, but he's ready to go pro now so whoever drafts him would have his rights for 2 years, so the team will have more bargaining power this time around.

Anyway... here are a couple scouting reports.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKeen's Scouting Report
Team: Toronto St. Michael's (OHL)
Hometown: Cambridge
Height: 6-foot-0
Weight: 175 pounds
Shoots: right

Excellent skater with a great first step and very good overall speed…very intelligent with an excellent grasp of the game ... hands, passing and shooting ability are among the best in this year's crop ... is extremely effective at crucial face-offs in both zones ... a fearless player who fools opponents with his aggressiveness compared to his smallish stature ... another classic example of the little guy in the shadows of bigger players ... brings everything but size to the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey's Future Profile
History
Brent was the Major’s first pick in the 2000 OHL draft out of Cambridge Jr. B and the 2nd pick overall. The Cambridge native was the captain of Canada's gold-medal winning U-17 squad at the Six Nations Cup in the Czech Republic.
In the 2002-03 playoffs, Brent became the Major's all-time playoff goals and assists leader. Named to the OHL Eastern Conference All-Star team (02-03), Named Major's Top Faceoff man and Scholastic Player of the Year (02-03).
Named Team Captain of Team OHL in the RE/MAX Canada/Russia Challenge in 2003. Named OHL player of the week for the week ending on Nov. 9

Talent Analysis
Brent is a player of average size, but above average talent. He plays a great two-way game with decent speed and some grit to it. He often surprises defenders with his ability to pounch on turnovers and his determination to put it in the net. He's an elusive puck carrier and an excellent stickhandler with soft hands and the ability to get control of a pass very quickly. He is excellent in the faceoff circle and pays attention to the defensive end of things as well.
Brent still needs to gain more strength and he could also gain more speed as well. After that, all he needs is some pro experience. Brent took over as captain of the St. Michael's Majors from fellow Ducks prospect and St. Mikes alumni, Mark Popovic.

Future
Brent continues to get better and better. Each year, he seems to step it up another notch. Brent's gritty all-weather game will someday be the pivot of the Ducks second line, but that won't be for at least a couple more seasons.

Last edited by degroat*: 06-04-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old
06-04-2004, 11:02 AM
degroat*

The more I read on this guy... the more Michael Peca comes to mind...

Old
06-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
The best comparison that I've seen for Brent is that he will turn into a grittier version of Ron Francis... That's impressive....

Old
06-04-2004, 12:33 PM
degroat*

If that's really the case, then I could see him going in the late 1st.

Old
06-04-2004, 02:41 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallant
The best comparison that I've seen for Brent is that he will turn into a grittier version of Ron Francis... That's impressive....

if scouts thought this kid "will turn into a gritter version of Ron Francis" then he'd be a top 5 pick....
If any of the players drafted in the first round turn out to be grittier versions of Ron Francis they were a great pick. Somehow I'm guessing that Prospect Hype is responsible for claims that this kid "will be" as good as Ron Francis, nevermind a "grittier version" of Ron Francis.

Old
06-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Prussian_Blue

Do we know for sure that Brent is definitely re-entering the draft?

If he's there, I'd take him in the second round for sure. From what I've read about him, and from what I gather by his stats, he could step right in at Worcester next year and possibly be a top-six forward by year's end.

That also gives the Blues more options with the first-round pick... if they have good reason to think Tim Brent will be there in the second round, they'd probably be more inclined to spend the first-rounder on one of Montoya, Schwarz, Dubnyk or Schneider, and get that future "franchise" goalie.

If next year's Cats featured Pohl, McClement, Troliga and Tim Brent down the middle, that would work just fine for me. 210, do you have an opinion on this pleasant bit of speculation?

B.

Old
06-06-2004, 12:01 PM
degroat*

He's definately re-entering the draft... as is Vagner, a 2002 Dallas 1st round pick.

Unfortunatley, we couldn't possible know for sure if he would be on the board when we pick in the 2nd round when we're making our first round pick. I think there's a decent chance he'll be taken by then.

Old
06-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
if scouts thought this kid "will turn into a gritter version of Ron Francis" then he'd be a top 5 pick....
If any of the players drafted in the first round turn out to be grittier versions of Ron Francis they were a great pick. Somehow I'm guessing that Prospect Hype is responsible for claims that this kid "will be" as good as Ron Francis, nevermind a "grittier version" of Ron Francis.
I never said "as good as Ron Francis"... I was just comparing his style... He's known as a great leader, a calm player, very smart, good offensively (although not to Francis' level), and very good defensively...

I don't expect him to be around past the 2nd round... I'd bet that he'll likely get taken in the middle of the 2nd at the latest...

Closed Thread