HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp?Day 2 Review

Old
09-19-2010, 01:02 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Ok, reality check... Ya gotta be nuts to think that Avery won't be in the lineup at the start of the season. Yeah, he had a kinda bad season last year. Oh wait, so did 95% of the rest of the team.

Fact of the matter is that Avery still absolutely has the skills to dominate on the ice and be an effective catalyst for any given game. Yeah yeah, he needs to play his game again blah blah blah. From his shape, to his words, to the coaches words, to his attitude; there is no reason to expect that we won't be seeing a bit more of the old Avery this year. But that's actually kinda irrelevant. Why? Cause he's gonna have every chance to prove it first. Only when he fails, and fails consistently, will there be a chance of his getting sent down. But he's gonna be on the opening day roster. You can count on it.

Oh, and as a last random thought... Avery hurts us because he makes the other team play even better against us far more often than he throws them off their game? Ummmm, not even worth debating that point, since it was obviously made melodramatically with warped emotional bias as opposed to being made with any facts that are even remotely close to any actual reality.
Wow, how long did it take you to come up with that drivel?

I didn't say Avery won't make the team. I said I wouldn't really give a crap if he didn't. And I won't. I can live without his 30 or whatever points he puts up every season. And if the team can't win without him that's pathetic. I don't really care what the record is with and without him, this team will eventually have to win games without his childish antics because he won't be on this team forever.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Pakeha

Guys like Avery can be awesome if they dont go over the edge. The challenge for all these types of players is that to be effective they have to play on the edge. Kenny Linseman was one of the best - a pest, but in control!

For Sean, its tougher because a lot of it is personal and all about him. He can very quickly become the pest who is out of control. If he played the role consistently then Torterella would play him every night, no questions asked - Sean has the speed and skills to play in the NHL.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:44 AM
eco's bones

When Avery becomes a focal point for the other team the Rangers tend to do well. The intensity level of the game tends to go up as well. More entertainment in any case. A lot of what went on last year were the on ice officials targeting him. They made a number of crap calls against him and let a lot of blatant attacks on him go uncalled. It's all part of the 'he's embarrassed the league, so now we're going to make him pay' agenda. Some people might read that as paranoia. It is my take of it anyway and IMO the league has done this before. They targeted Kovalev for at least a year after the Rangers-Nordiques playoff series back in '95.

I doubt seriously though that this is going to be Sean's last year with us. Anyone trading for him is going to pay nearly $4 mil per. They are not going to get the half price discount we are getting. That's a steep price for a third liner who may not be happy coming to your team and could be a major distraction in your dressing room if he is unhappy--which is the second reason why I don't see him moving. Most (if not just about all) teams are going to be leery how he would fit in. I just don't see it happening.

Anyway to go back to Sauer and Byers. I think that this is their last chance with the Rangers as well. I think both if given the opportunity could find a niche somewhere in the NHL. Just might not happen here.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:45 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Wow, how long did it take you to come up with that drivel?

I didn't say Avery won't make the team. I said I wouldn't really give a crap if he didn't. And I won't. I can live without his 30 or whatever points he puts up every season. And if the team can't win without him that's pathetic. I don't really care what the record is with and without him, this team will eventually have to win games without his childish antics because he won't be on this team forever.
Hisreply was great until that horrible last paragraph where he got all emo and started basically attacking you. He technically was speaking the truth you did make your opinion without stating any actual facts whatsoever about him making other teams play harder against us which I don't know if I've ever seen. Plus that win loss record is significant. The guys on our team have seemed to feed off him when he's playing good. Guys like Dubs, Staal, Girardi, Cally all seem to get better with chippiness and those are for the most part our core.

The team won plenty of games last year without him b/c he wasn't on his game so that next point makes no sense.

Again you and I agree though if he doesn't go back to playing at his best I wouldn't even notice that he's gone. I thoguht this was the last year of his contract I was wrong but still if he doesn't play well they could cut him or AHL him or something as far as I know..

To the bold right there is why he called you a melodramatic baby essentially. If you don't wanna get flamed by some1 with a short fuse than avoid coming out with such over the top emotional statements...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Everyone on the team had a bad year last year. Avery is a lot better of an actual hockey player than he's given credit for. It's not all about the agitation. If he (and the rest of the team) can get it going a little better offensively this year (maybe with Frolov and the addition of a young gun or two we'll get a little boost) and he gets back to his usual pace since the lockout, Avery is good for nearly 45 points per 82 games played.

Stats will speak for themselves: http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=338

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote