HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rostislav Olesz: Playing With an Edge?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
  #26
Laus723
#CatsAreComing
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
IMO, olesz is eurotrash and he is overpaid.

You say he is a solid bottom-six player. Ok, if he is such a solid asset to a team, then how come we can get rid of him? No, and don't say we haven't because olesz has been on the block before and he will be on there again in the near future.
It's not hard to figure out that his cap hit is majorly getting in the way of a trade. Is he the best 3rd line guy to have? No. Capable? Yes. His cap hit is what makes the majority of us want him moved, and keeps other teams from wanting his services.


__________________
Future now!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
  #27
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
IMO, olesz is eurotrash and he is overpaid.

You say he is a solid bottom-six player. Ok, if he is such a solid asset to a team, then how come we can get rid of him? No, and don't say we haven't because olesz has been on the block before and he will be on there again in the near future.
Olesz would get a contract in FA 10 out of 10 times. Common sense, man.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
  #28
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Olesz would get a contract in FA 10 out of 10 times. Common sense, man.
Common sense if he's in the Florida prospect pool. Anywhere else.. you got an argument.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
  #29
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Common sense if he's in the Florida prospect pool. Anywhere else.. you got an argument.
No. I'm not saying that every team would be in a rush to sign him, but it's 100% guaranteed that he'd get picked up from FA by someone

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
  #30
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
IMO, olesz is eurotrash and he is overpaid.

You say he is a solid bottom-six player. Ok, if he is such a solid asset to a team, then how come we can get rid of him? No, and don't say we haven't because olesz has been on the block before and he will be on there again in the near future.
So, i really was over Olesz and honestly couldn't care less if he were to put up a good season or not. But it's people saying BS like this that makes me want him to break out with 20some goals just to make you eat your words.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
  #31
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,023
vCash: 500
Olesz is extremely overpaid and is frustrating to watch because he has all the tools to be good. If he made a million a season I would have no issue with him on our team and I doubt many would disagree with me.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
  #32
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
ive written rusti off. dont expect anything from him this season. let him prove me wrong for all i care, but one way or another he wont be a problem by next year

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:49 PM
  #33
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Olesz is extremely overpaid and is frustrating to watch because he has all the tools to be good. If he made a million a season I would have no issue with him on our team and I doubt many would disagree with me.
How can you say he has all the tools? That's so disputable. His playmaking abilities are limited as are his goal-scoring instincts. We've all seen him drive to the net and then get forced to the outside or lose the puck on many occasions (to the defense of olesz, a lot of our forwards have this habit, not just him). How about shootout attempts? How many times have we seen him in there and seen that backhand shot attempt. He makes the simplest of moves seem like difficult trick shot attempts. It's just a fake forehand backhand shelf shot. Sure he has size, but he consistently fails to utilize it in games. His defensive skills are decent. His hands are less than par as are his goal-scoring instincts. And his play making abilities are definitely limited. I think he's missing some tools out of his toolbox in order to earn his keep here.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
  #34
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
ive written rusti off. dont expect anything from him this season. let him prove me wrong for all i care, but one way or another he wont be a problem by next year
Right. His agent will sign him a contract in the khl and we can finally replace him with a player with a brighter future. someone like mical repik.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 07:55 PM
  #35
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
So, i really was over Olesz and honestly couldn't care less if he were to put up a good season or not. But it's people saying BS like this that makes me want him to break out with 20some goals just to make you eat your words.
Honestly, i love the panthers and i hope for miracles as well. But, i think we all should just face facts about rusty olesz. The sooner we understand the faster we rebuild.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 08:35 PM
  #36
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
How can you say he has all the tools? That's so disputable. His playmaking abilities are limited as are his goal-scoring instincts. We've all seen him drive to the net and then get forced to the outside or lose the puck on many occasions (to the defense of olesz, a lot of our forwards have this habit, not just him). How about shootout attempts? How many times have we seen him in there and seen that backhand shot attempt. He makes the simplest of moves seem like difficult trick shot attempts. It's just a fake forehand backhand shelf shot. Sure he has size, but he consistently fails to utilize it in games. His defensive skills are decent. His hands are less than par as are his goal-scoring instincts. And his play making abilities are definitely limited. I think he's missing some tools out of his toolbox in order to earn his keep here.
Size, strength, very good skater, good puck handler, decent shot when he shoots, good enough passer. He doesn't have a goal scorers instinct but he could be a very good third line player who should have no problem putting 15-20 goals a season. His biggest problem is confidence, imo. When you're not confident you suck.

Keep in mind he doesn't need to a be an offensive player to be on this roster. The problem is the expectations for him have always been off. He never really scored at a high level before.

At a million dollars a year on the third line I would gladly take him.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
  #37
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Size, strength, very good skater, good puck handler, decent shot when he shoots, good enough passer. He doesn't have a goal scorers instinct but he could be a very good third line player who should have no problem putting 15-20 goals a season. His biggest problem is confidence, imo. When you're not confident you suck.

Keep in mind he doesn't need to a be an offensive player to be on this roster. The problem is the expectations for him have always been off. He never really scored at a high level before.

At a million dollars a year on the third line I would gladly take him.
i thought this too for awhile, but the more i think about it, rusti is just too damn soft. he is big enough where he should be roughing up the other team, but i cant remember the last time i saw him play physical. i want our 3rd and 4th liners to be very tough players who may not score a lot, but they sure as heck help us out by beating the other team into submission and making them not want to come play us. if i could get 40 points out of rusti playing soft on the 3rd line or 20 points out of someone else just grinding the crap out of the other teams dmen and beating them up in the corners, ill take the 20 points.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:05 PM
  #38
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe
 
Blad Meaning Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
If he wasn't overpaid, he'd be a good 4th liner in the mold of Sammy Pahlsson, but he's not.. He's paid more then Weiss :-/

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:38 PM
  #39
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Rostislav Olesz is Andrew Miller.

"If he went to the net..."
"If he used his size..."
"If he had confidence..."
"If he wasn't so terrible, he'd be better..."

Whatever.

The guy is a terribly inconsistent hockey player who becomes invisible at times, and other times, he'll just flat out choke. Like...open net...completely miss the net choke.

He's overpaid, and I'd love to get him out of here.

People have complained about guys who actually produce...Jokinen...Bouwmeester...Horton...heck, Vokoun...yet this 1st round bust is often forgotten. He's a huge reason why we continue to suck. Every year we're counting on Olesz to step up, maybe give us 20 goals...and every year he fails.

He's a loser (as a player, don't know Rusty the person), and as soon as Tallon sees him on the ice for a good amount of time, he'll be wanting Olesz out of here, and quickly.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:19 AM
  #40
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
That's so dumb. Nobody's saying he's worth his salary, but the guy's a legit NHLer. It's ridiculous that because he makes more than he's earned (hardly something you can blame him for), people bash him and call him a loser.

It'd be really nice to see him breaking out, nobody's going to hold his breath for it, but some of the comments about him are just downright ridiculous.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
  #41
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
That's so dumb. Nobody's saying he's worth his salary, but the guy's a legit NHLer. It's ridiculous that because he makes more than he's earned (hardly something you can blame him for), people bash him and call him a loser.

It'd be really nice to see him breaking out, nobody's going to hold his breath for it, but some of the comments about him are just downright ridiculous.
He's not a good hockey player.
The only reason Olesz is getting playing time here is because the organization would like to see his salary amount to something, but fact is, he's battling for playing time, at this point. Battling for playing time...playing for one of the worst teams in the NHL.

For a guy with such good qualities on the ice (like "good hands" ), he certainly has a lot of trouble scoring goals, even when they're basically gift-wrapped for him.

And the reason why I call him a loser is because if you're not going to be a star, you could at least do the things the coach asks from you. DeBoer along with just about everyone else, have been telling Olesz to go to the front of the net for years now; he'll do it for a game or two, and then disappear for twenty. Hence the reason Tallon is already trying to get guys who bring such things to the table (Bernier, for example).

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:27 AM
  #42
ursavolta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: miami, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 670
vCash: 825
I remember seeing olesz on the boards alot trying to cycle.. and failing... horribly.. does not have enough "power" to be a power forward.. he had a nice size and he uses his back alot.. but his passing/shooting is bit weak.. and his ice I.Q. is lacking..

looks like a man that lacks confidence..
maybe if he bufffs up a bit.. start hitting more.. ehh..

Again, i have never seen the cats do a good cycle.. when they attempt it it basically foils inward.. to me the cats are a down and dirty team.. point shots .. rebounds.. couple breakouts.. nothing spectacular.. no crazy passing plays..amazing pp goals.. sick snipes (hopefully proven wrong with booth/higgins/grabner/frolik on board) maybe some dump and chase... but when we had boyton/ballard duo i remember most of our points came from the point and camping in front of the net..'garbage goals". which is what olesz should do.. park in front of the net.. and smack the goalies pads until the puck goes in... chip the freakin paint of the pads for all i care..

But what i was thinking..was... what were his teammates for last year? I remember seeing him in the cambell/kreps line alot..(maybe im mistaken?) both are gone, and i can't imagine them really creating ultra mega chances....again alot of hockey players need good line chemistry to really bang the pucks in..so maybe he needs to develop some good chemistry with the right players.. he have a bunch of new players.. so maybe we can shift things around for him..

I see him as a weak NHLer, a NHLer none the less, but he can easily replaced for a better player..

ehh.. i still see him heading off to the KHL...

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:38 AM
  #43
Weiwuer
 
Weiwuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
IMO, olesz is eurotrash and he is overpaid.

You say he is a solid bottom-six player. Ok, if he is such a solid asset to a team, then how come we can get rid of him? No, and don't say we haven't because olesz has been on the block before and he will be on there again in the near future.
Seriously?

Weiwuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:58 AM
  #44
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,378
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
IMO, olesz is eurotrash and he is overpaid.

You say he is a solid bottom-six player. Ok, if he is such a solid asset to a team, then how come we can get rid of him? No, and don't say we haven't because olesz has been on the block before and he will be on there again in the near future.
Explain to us why he is eurotrash? Aside from him being overpaid, lets see if you can come up with something. And the only reason why they cant trade him because he is overpaid. YES, he IS overpaid, but he is still a serviceable player in this league. Again, to think he is trash is just ignorant.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:04 AM
  #45
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,378
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
I remember seeing olesz on the boards alot trying to cycle.. and failing... horribly.. does not have enough "power" to be a power forward.. he had a nice size and he uses his back alot.. but his passing/shooting is bit weak.. and his ice I.Q. is lacking..

looks like a man that lacks confidence..
maybe if he bufffs up a bit.. start hitting more.. ehh..

Again, i have never seen the cats do a good cycle.. when they attempt it it basically foils inward.. to me the cats are a down and dirty team.. point shots .. rebounds.. couple breakouts.. nothing spectacular.. no crazy passing plays..amazing pp goals.. sick snipes (hopefully proven wrong with booth/higgins/grabner/frolik on board) maybe some dump and chase... but when we had boyton/ballard duo i remember most of our points came from the point and camping in front of the net..'garbage goals". which is what olesz should do.. park in front of the net.. and smack the goalies pads until the puck goes in... chip the freakin paint of the pads for all i care..

But what i was thinking..was... what were his teammates for last year? I remember seeing him in the cambell/kreps line alot..(maybe im mistaken?) both are gone, and i can't imagine them really creating ultra mega chances....again alot of hockey players need good line chemistry to really bang the pucks in..so maybe he needs to develop some good chemistry with the right players.. he have a bunch of new players.. so maybe we can shift things around for him..

I see him as a weak NHLer, a NHLer none the less, but he can easily replaced for a better player..

ehh.. i still see him heading off to the KHL...
He is "horrible" on the boards? Huh? He controls the puck well along the boards, and is tough to knock off the puck. I dont know where some of you guys are getting your info, because you obviously dont watch him enough. The main problem with Olesz is confidence. If he played with confidence, with an edge like Weiss mentioned a few days ago, he would easily be a 20 goal scorer in this league. ATM, he is around a 15 goal scorer with good offensive abilities, good puck protection, and a good defensive player. Like I said before, NOBODY will disagree with the fact that he is overpaid, but to label him "terrible" or "trash" is just ridiculous.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:53 AM
  #46
ursavolta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: miami, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 670
vCash: 825
no no no , i think olesz can hold himself on the boards and defensively hes not bad.... but it seems he does not have the eyes for the play around him.. or power to push to the net to create a play.. hence his size and his back.. if hes dancing with himself in the boards..protecting the puck.. pfft then that's.. just fine.. but the point of that is to keep the puck in.. cycle.. to create movement.. and find a seam and score..his overall hockey I.Q. isnt dependable.. and if we on a 2 - 1 breakaway with someone i would bite my fingers off.. in a total worry state that he HAS the puck.. or that hes GOING to have the puck..


. he has alot of ground to prove people wrong of course....

i really think he needs to find himself (confidence issue) and some good teammates...but hes proven already that he's replaceable..

i wouldn't label him as TOTAL TRASH.. but hes plays the part of bit of a chewed up piece of gum under a desk..

insignificant..


...somehow rich...and insignificant..

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
  #47
CoolburnIsGone
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Explain to us why he is eurotrash? Aside from him being overpaid, lets see if you can come up with something. And the only reason why they cant trade him because he is overpaid. YES, he IS overpaid, but he is still a serviceable player in this league. Again, to think he is trash is just ignorant.
I'm not going with the "eurotrash" name cause I do think it can be offensive.

But you cant value a player anymore in a capped league without taking his contract into consideration. Can he play in the league...yes, but so can so many other players that currently arent playing in the league too. To me and probably many others, Olesz is paid too high for what he produces and thus would be better off giving his roster spot to someone else.

Now I would say this though to make a comparison: I'm a gadget guy and I buy lotsa gadgets. Some can be very expensive and so I hope I get the value from it. But often, the gadget doesnt do what it said it would do (or a new gadget comes out that does more and give me better value) and I try & resell it on Ebay or Craigslist. But a lot of times I cant even resell it and basically just have to throw it out eventually.

Use that as a comparison to Olesz...he's very expensive, doesnt quite do enough of what he was touted to do when he received that contract and we've already tried at several junctures to trade him. If we're unable to trade him between now and next summer, the next likely course of action is to buy him out and throw him away (aka the trash).

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
  #48
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,378
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I'm not going with the "eurotrash" name cause I do think it can be offensive.

But you cant value a player anymore in a capped league without taking his contract into consideration. Can he play in the league...yes, but so can so many other players that currently arent playing in the league too. To me and probably many others, Olesz is paid too high for what he produces and thus would be better off giving his roster spot to someone else.

Now I would say this though to make a comparison: I'm a gadget guy and I buy lotsa gadgets. Some can be very expensive and so I hope I get the value from it. But often, the gadget doesnt do what it said it would do (or a new gadget comes out that does more and give me better value) and I try & resell it on Ebay or Craigslist. But a lot of times I cant even resell it and basically just have to throw it out eventually.

Use that as a comparison to Olesz...he's very expensive, doesnt quite do enough of what he was touted to do when he received that contract and we've already tried at several junctures to trade him. If we're unable to trade him between now and next summer, the next likely course of action is to buy him out and throw him away (aka the trash).
Isnt this the consensus, that he is overpaid? That seems to be what everyone dislikes most about him, as I have stated before. If he was a $2-2.5 million paid player, Id be happy with him and his 15 goals. Is he overpaid, yes, but given the circumstance, we need him to produce so we can either trade him, or contribute as much as we pay him. The only issues I have is the harsh criticism for him. When talking about his pay, its completely understandable, but beyond that, he isnt a terrible hockey player.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
  #49
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I'm not going with the "eurotrash" name cause I do think it can be offensive.

But you cant value a player anymore in a capped league without taking his contract into consideration. Can he play in the league...yes, but so can so many other players that currently arent playing in the league too. To me and probably many others, Olesz is paid too high for what he produces and thus would be better off giving his roster spot to someone else.

Now I would say this though to make a comparison: I'm a gadget guy and I buy lotsa gadgets. Some can be very expensive and so I hope I get the value from it. But often, the gadget doesnt do what it said it would do (or a new gadget comes out that does more and give me better value) and I try & resell it on Ebay or Craigslist. But a lot of times I cant even resell it and basically just have to throw it out eventually.

Use that as a comparison to Olesz...he's very expensive, doesnt quite do enough of what he was touted to do when he received that contract and we've already tried at several junctures to trade him. If we're unable to trade him between now and next summer, the next likely course of action is to buy him out and throw him away (aka the trash).
Well, if you have a issue with his contract, let's talk about JM and not Olesz. I mean, if we offer some checking line forward $4million, they're not going to reject it.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:52 AM
  #50
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,182
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Well, if you have a issue with his contract, let's talk about JM and not Olesz. I mean, if we offer some checking line forward $4million, they're not going to reject it.
uh... yeah, he wasn't a bottom 6 prospect at that time.

it was a mistake on several levels - the pressure of that contract probably hasn't helped rusty either. he might've been better off with a cheaper, shorter contract. but many GMs took that approach.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.