HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

30 Teams In 30 Days: Ottawa Senators

Old
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblakelover2020 View Post
They made a mistake with the article. Under every column it should provide an in depth argument on how nobody likes the Senators. I don't mean to troll, but seriously...more Leafs fans show up Sens games. I love Ottawa though. Boss.
It's not trolling if your right. Common sense tells anyone that pays attention that most of the people writing about hockey, like hockey, and have liked hockey for a long time, and likely have had ties to a team that existed before the Sens did.

I mean, Toronto media has actually made Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf cool. They've done some fine work because those two players and their respective personalities are anything but cool.

The only time we'll get respect is if were obviously the best team in the league. If we look to be an average playoff team, then we might as well be out of the playoffs.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
corksens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblakelover2020 View Post
They made a mistake with the article. Under every column it should provide an in depth argument on how nobody likes the Senators. I don't mean to troll, but seriously...more Leafs fans show up Sens games. I love Ottawa though. Boss.
Usually when you say "seriously", it should be followed up with a statement that is factually accurate.

As in 'Seriously, Jason Blake sucks".

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:50 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
You have to look at the season as a whole... franchise players with 5G in 28GP is brutal.
How is 28 games the "season as a whole"?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
The person who called Spezza mediocre was looking at his entire season not just cutting snippets from it.
Right, but you're not.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
The injured part plays no issue in the fact that the season was average.

Ya he was injured but he still sucked for the first half
For the first 10 games or so, wasn't Spezza doing all the things that he was criticized for not doing before? He didn't have any goals, but he had something like 8 assists in as many games (give or take) AND he was playing well defensively while not giving the puck away.
He didn't suck at that point.

He sucked most of the time that he was together with Michalek and Alfredsson (which is why i'm surprised they started together at training camp). When he came back from his injury and Regin was added to the line he was on fire.

Spezza had a frustrating season, but i wouldn't put all the blame on him for the lack of consistency or production.
No one likes when i say this, but the coach made mistakes last year and maximizing player chemistry was one of them. Not being able to help players out of slumps was another.
Under the circumstances, i think Spezza was good when it mattered and he should be a lot better (and consistent) this year.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
For the first 10 games or so, wasn't Spezza doing all the things that he was criticized for not doing before? He didn't have any goals, but he had something like 8 assists in as many games (give or take) AND he was playing well defensively while not giving the puck away.

He sucked most of the time that he was together with Michalek and Alfredsson (which is why i'm surprised they started together at training camp). When he came back from his injury and Regin was added to the line he was on fire.

Spezza had a frustrating season, but i wouldn't put all the blame on him for the lack of consistency or production.
No one likes when i say this, but the coach made mistakes last year and maximizing player chemistry was one of them. Not being able to help players out of slumps was another.
Under the circumstances, i think Spezza was good when it mattered and he should be a lot better (and consistent) this year.
I know its not really a big deal, but for the sake of accuracy he did put up 7 assists in his first 10 games with no goals. While playing great defensively.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
How is 28 games the "season as a whole"?
Would you rather people ignore that part when discussing the Sens?

Everything is great when you discount all the negatives and find reason as to why they will never happen again.

So you want him to say Spezza had a great season... fine he had a great season then if that is what you believe greatness to look like I hope you get the exact same season he had last year since it was so phenomenal.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Would you rather people ignore that part when discussing the Sens?

Everything is great when you discount all the negatives and find reason as to why they will never happen again.

So you want him to say Spezza had a great season... fine he had a great season then if that is what you believe greatness to look like I hope you get the exact same season he had last year since it was so phenomenal.
No, I'm wondering why you advocate things that you ignore two seconds later.

Old
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
If not for Spezza after the injury his season would have been pathetic.
He was so good he bumped his season from pathetic to average.
I mean the fan base was booing him... tells you what the majority think.

Old
09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
trentmccleary

So we should boo him because he was good when he came back healthy and stopped playing with a minor leaguer?

Old
09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I'll play.

If not for an injury his season may have been very good.

The majority of fans don't know anything.

Old
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:

Yea its very surprising to me too how MM is back on the top line. I love him, dont get me wrong, but while he was on the top line I saw next to nothing that made it feel like a dangerous unit. And worst of all it really seemed to bring Spez down a peg.

As soon as Regin hit the top line there was an instant chemistry there, and Spezza went red hot. Ill be shocked and sorta pissed if it isnt revived at some point during the preseason. Unless Michalek really starts clicking with #19 and 11 hes a waste of skill on the top line. His style would probably work well with Fisher and Kovalev.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sambo View Post
Yea its very surprising to me too how MM is back on the top line. I love him, dont get me wrong, but while he was on the top line I saw next to nothing that made it feel like a dangerous unit. And worst of all it really seemed to bring Spez down a peg.

As soon as Regin hit the top line there was an instant chemistry there, and Spezza went red hot. Ill be shocked and sorta pissed if it isnt revived at some point during the preseason. Unless Michalek really starts clicking with #19 and 11 hes a waste of skill on the top line. His style would probably work well with Fisher and Kovalev.

Spezza was doing great before Regin got promoted to the first line. In the 20 games before Regin he put up 24 points. With Regin, Spezza had 14 points in 10 games. The PPG pace was a bit ahead, but I just think saying he went red hot is over doing it.

Michalek put up 12 points in 18 games when Spezza returned from injury until he got injured. Now those aren't really mindblowing numbers but its about a 54 point pace which isn't bad. I really think Spezza and Michalek can play on the same line effectively, its just trying to see who will be more effective between Michalek and Regin.

Old
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:

See I agree with all this... but I come away with it being average as a whole.

Old
09-20-2010, 07:40 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
If not for Spezza before the injury his season would have been outstanding. Top 5 scoring, Hart trophy consideration outstanding.

I guess it depends how you phrase it eh?

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Spezza was doing great before Regin got promoted to the first line. In the 20 games before Regin he put up 24 points. With Regin, Spezza had 14 points in 10 games. The PPG pace was a bit ahead, but I just think saying he went red hot is over doing it.

Michalek put up 12 points in 18 games when Spezza returned from injury until he got injured. Now those aren't really mindblowing numbers but its about a 54 point pace which isn't bad. I really think Spezza and Michalek can play on the same line effectively, its just trying to see who will be more effective between Michalek and Regin.
Maybe that was wrong to label Spezza as that, but the top line as a whole was clicking and dangerous, something that never happened while Michalek was there. Regin showed much in his brief stint up on the top line than MM ever did imo.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
You have to look at the season as a whole... franchise players with 5G in 28GP is brutal.
You make a lot of sense right there. You tell me to look at the season as a whole but you aren't? lol!

The season as a whole is this : 23 goals, 34 assists for 57 points in 60 games, where he had back problems in half of those games and missed another 22 because of injuries.

If anything, it was an injury-plagued season for Spezza.

Quote:
If that makes you happy I don't know what to say. He makes 7.0 I have higher expectations.
Where did I talk about my happiness or anything related to that?
Now that you talk about it, I was not happy at all with Spezza's 1st part of the season (and made it very clear back then), but was more than happy when he came back from injury, he was stellar

Quote:
A great season is consistency with 30G and 80Pts... because you get hot for a stretch does not make the 30 game cold streak vanish
Never said it was a "great" season. Maybe it's you trying to put words into other's mouth. If anything, I think I said decent. 57 points in 60 games is decent to me. That's 78 pts in a full 82 games season. Only 18 players scored 78 pts or more last season...

Maybe everyone in the league is overpaid, maybe you're just another parano canadian hockey fan who over-scrutinize the salaries and cap hits.

Quote:
The person who called Spezza mediocre was looking at his entire season not just cutting snippets from it.
Well that person is :

- dumb
- or ignorant
- or both

When you look at the "entire" season, it's 57 points in 60 games. I don't know how scoring at a pace that would put you at 19th in NHL scoring makes you mediocre...

Quote:

Seriously, will Fuhr ever change? I doubt it. It's in human nature, being intellectually dishonest.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
The fan base booing him tells me that most of the fans are ****in idiots!

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:27 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sambo View Post
Maybe that was wrong to label Spezza as that, but the top line as a whole was clicking and dangerous, something that never happened while Michalek was there. Regin showed much in his brief stint up on the top line than MM ever did imo.
Thats fair to say but at this point Michalek can be a 60 point player while I think Regin will get 40-50 this season. So if Spezza and Michalek can gel, they have a higher potential. Of course that isn't taking into account chemistry, but I think its worth trying many different line combinations. Who knows, maybe Regin is on the 2nd line to help Fisher and Kovalev get over 50 points again (well almost 50 in Kovalev's case). Or maybe CC thinks that Spezza can get Michalek's confidence up again and they change the lines up. Who knows.

Old
09-21-2010, 05:58 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Spezza could be in an ornery mood this year. Hopefully he's a little more selfish and scores more.

The fans were booing Spezza eh. There was lots of rumours circulating and talk. And then Murray admitted that Spezza got booed and didnt like it. Great shock went through Sens land. That was really unexpected. Who knew being booed would bother him? Oh why did Murray have to admit it, we were blissfully sticking our heads in the sand and avoiding the issue. But nooooo, Murray has to "Deal With it". And now the air is cleared, there is no more rumours, and Spezza is fired up to do good. Sigh, Murray, shakes head, why do you have to open your mouth and tell us the truth?

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:33 AM
MikeD7367

Quote:
Regin-Spezza-Alfie was 11.08% ES and they were together for like 10 games to end the season

Cheechoo-Spezza-Michalek 9.31% ES... so your only looking at about eight games.

Thanks for the tool... not only does the game log prove my point but this tool furthur proves my point.

Spezza spent less ES ice time with Cheechoo then he did with Regin... and he did not play much with Regin
Yessir 8 games,,, The first 5, and the last 3.

2 of those last 3 were Cheechoo's best games as a Senator? Who was he playing with? Spezz

It seemed Cheech was getting ROBBED almost every night at one point, had half of those gone in, he would have scored at least 15.

MikeD7367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD7367 View Post

2 of those last 3 were Cheechoo's best games as a Senator? Who was he playing with? Spezz

It seemed Cheech was getting ROBBED almost every night at one point, had half of those gone in, he would have scored at least 15.
Cheechoo was getting robbed because he was too slow and always off balance whenever he got a scoring chance. The guys skating got so far from the NHL level.

Old
09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD7367 View Post

I agree Cheechoo was not very lucky last year... So many perfect shots on the cross bar or right on the posts, and ya he got robbed many times as well. But there is always a player every year that is "snake-bitten". Last year it was Cheechoo and the year before it was Vermette.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote