HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2010-11 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2010, 12:03 AM
  #51
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post




LOL if they played Vengabus, you'd care.



Since Windsor acquired one extra tough guy (minus Wallace, add Tarini and Couthier, that equals one extra scrapper), you think they'll go after the rookies? Maybe they're on the Spit-Fires roster to defend their own teammates? I know it's a stretch, but...
With rivalry games they do tend to do that. That's what we saw with Sarnia at times. If the game is close, which I think it will be that probably won't be a problem. I just think after Sarnia has always had toughness up front, and this year, we really don't it's a security this team has never had to play with. Sarnia has played so tough the last 6-7 years, it's different having only one guy who can likely throw them with 200lb.+ players

Default101 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 12:04 AM
  #52
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmanOgre View Post
Anyone else hear that soupy got traded to Ottawa? Have not heard what Sarnia received in exchange if rumor is true.
I would assume there would be a side deal involving either Perugini or Mrazek going to a different team before they did that, because Ottawa has 2 starters right now.

Default101 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 10:21 AM
  #53
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
I would be absolutely shocked if we moved Shayne Campbell for a 12th Round pick.

OHL veteran goaltender with experience at the age of 17, who has shown flashes of potential in possibly being a starter with 3 years eligibility? MacQueen has done decent with his deals except for his trades with Windsor, and I would be shocked if he ever settled for a 12th rounder for Campbell.


hmmmm........ Cullen was aquired for a seventh rounder, and he's our starter. If MacQueen can get a 93 defenceman and a pick for a guy that can't make the team he should jump all over that in a nanosecond.

As far as Zupancic goes calling him "a turnover machine" and other names the like before the kid has even played one league game is totally unfair. Let him play in the league for awhile before being too critical.

jwalk is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
  #54
krauss72
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Wow J....you do have a sensitive side, eh? Softie, lol! Do somewhat agree. Would've rather kept bear over another 93 fwd. That fwd has size but also has questionable work ethic among other off ice/team issues. Have heard his one exx-ie he did play was pretty sad. I predict bear will be back up before the holidays unless he asks for/gets traded. But would rather see him get quality minutes elsewhere than sit here.

krauss72 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 10:50 AM
  #55
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
hmmmm........ Cullen was aquired for a seventh rounder, and he's our starter. If MacQueen can get a 93 defenceman and a pick for a guy that can't make the team he should jump all over that in a nanosecond.

As far as Zupancic goes calling him "a turnover machine" and other names the like before the kid has even played one league game is totally unfair. Let him play in the league for awhile before being too critical.
You also gotta factor in age. Cullen is 19, Campbell is 17. In junior hockey that's a big difference. Campbell has plenty of time to get to the point Cullen is at. Also Kingston had Grubauer and Palazzese, so he didn't really have a place to play, although that could be the same situation for Campbell now. Age and future potention would bridge the gap, and a 7th for Campbell wouldn't be bad

As for Zupancic, he's played 5 or 6 pre-season games. I don't have to watch him in regular season when in pre-season games he has trouble completeing a 10 ft. pass. I think he'll improve and be a good defenceman.. but I'd much rather him cost another team constant 2 on 1 breaks, instead of the Sting until he can work that issue out. He's still only 16, I don't mean to trash the guy, I'm just saying his puck moving ability is not at an OHL level, where other skills he posesses are at OHL level. If he can improve i'd be happy to see Zupancic in the black and gold. Just not at this point of his development.

Default101 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
  #56
Stevie04
Registered User
 
Stevie04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port aux Basques, NF
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Announced via Sarnia Sting twitter tonight and this isn't going to be a giant surprise but 2010-2011 captains have been named:

Captain: Nathan Chairlitti
Assistants: Kale Kerbashian, Brett Sullivan, Joe Rogalski and Brett Ritchie

Stevie04 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
  #57
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns View Post
Announced via Sarnia Sting twitter tonight and this isn't going to be a giant surprise but 2010-2011 captains have been named:

Captain: Nathan Chairlitti
Assistants: Kale Kerbashian, Brett Sullivan, Joe Rogalski and Brett Ritchie
Best thing they've done all season. Sullivan will probably be the most vocal person atleast part of the time. The guy's like an assistant coach. But ultimately Chiarlitti is an excellent leader, and this brings a lot of consistency to the team over the next 3 years having a long running captain. Pending a Pro Contract, Chiarlitti will be a 5 year man for the Sting.

Default101 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
  #58
Stevie04
Registered User
 
Stevie04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port aux Basques, NF
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
Best thing they've done all season. Sullivan will probably be the most vocal person atleast part of the time. The guy's like an assistant coach. But ultimately Chiarlitti is an excellent leader, and this brings a lot of consistency to the team over the next 3 years having a long running captain. Pending a Pro Contract, Chiarlitti will be a 5 year man for the Sting.
I honestly think Chairlitti gets drafted this year. However that being said he is here for at least this year and next IMO and then it all depends on how his development goes from here. That being siad his leadership is great on and off the ice and it will be good for the younger kids, he is well spoken as well.
Sullivan would have been a great candidate for captain as well and he is like another assistant coach on the team. That being said I think the only reason he is not wearing the C is the injury factor and can he make it a full season of being healthy?

Stevie04 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
  #59
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Well, Lets hope Joe Celestin and Scott Hoberg are not refereeing tomorrow night. Plymouth with a 2 goal lead, the two teamed up to call 6 minor penalties against Plymouth between the last minute of the 2nd period and 16 minute mark of the 3rd period. Windsor got 1. In that time Windsor turned a 2 goal deficit to a 1 goal lead, that would turn out to be the win. These are the two officials I dislike the most among OHL ref's, so watching them team up would be devistating for any lead Sarnia might get lol. Just sayin

Default101 is offline  
Old
09-23-2010, 10:35 PM
  #60
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
You also gotta factor in age. Cullen is 19, Campbell is 17. In junior hockey that's a big difference. Campbell has plenty of time to get to the point Cullen is at. Also Kingston had Grubauer and Palazzese, so he didn't really have a place to play, although that could be the same situation for Campbell now. Age and future potention would bridge the gap, and a 7th for Campbell wouldn't be bad
The fact that Campbell is a 92+ would carry a lot more weight in the trade game if he were a starter or even a back up. Being slotted in as a number three goalie on a team like the Sting isn't likely to attract a whole lot in the trade market even if he can still play for 3 more seasons. Hopefully, MacQueen can find a team in the O that's in need of a backup but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in tier 2.

The market doesn't typically pay up for players that are either problem players or ones that were cut. That's why I'm not expecting much for either O'Quinn or Campbell.Having said that, MacQueen has surprised on the trade front in the past so maybe he can pull a rabbit out of the hat again.

Nice call by the management on naming Chiarlitti captain. I could see a team like the New Jersey Devils using a late round pick next year on Chiarlitti as he's the kind of character player they like.


Last edited by jwalk: 09-23-2010 at 10:45 PM.
jwalk is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 12:06 AM
  #61
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go
 
LeafsFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
Would just like to thank the Sarnia fans for Zac MacQueen. Two goals and a assist tonight in the comeback win. It will be a joy to watch him play for the Spitfires for hopefully the next two seasons.

LeafsFan18 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
  #62
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
The fact that Campbell is a 92+ would carry a lot more weight in the trade game if he were a starter or even a back up. Being slotted in as a number three goalie on a team like the Sting isn't likely to attract a whole lot in the trade market even if he can still play for 3 more seasons. Hopefully, MacQueen can find a team in the O that's in need of a backup but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in tier 2.

The market doesn't typically pay up for players that are either problem players or ones that were cut. That's why I'm not expecting much for either O'Quinn or Campbell.Having said that, MacQueen has surprised on the trade front in the past so maybe he can pull a rabbit out of the hat again.

Nice call by the management on naming Chiarlitti captain. I could see a team like the New Jersey Devils using a late round pick next year on Chiarlitti as he's the kind of character player they like.
So basically this is going nowhere because I see Campbell as a lower end starter or a higher end back-up and is 17 years old, and you don't see him as even being good enough to be a back-up. The fact that I value him as a #1.5 goaltender, and you value him as a #3 goaltender is going to effect judgement.

I already know your next argument apparently Dave MacQueen doesn't see him as a top 2 either. Oh well he's battling based on talent, not age against a 19 year old veteran, and a world level 16 year old, after spending his year as a 15/16 year old sitting on the bench all year. Dave MacQueen is not the end all/be all of goaltending analysis, so just because He cut Campbell from his team, doesn't mean Campbell is automatically a #3, especially at his age.

I hate to say it but i'll probably be cheering for whoever Campbell is playing for when he returns to the RBC Center, just to watch him stick it to people like you that think he's a piece of garbage fit to be thrown out, after being drastically mishandled by MacQueen himself, and the Sting organization as a whole.


Last edited by Default101: 09-24-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Default101 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 06:22 AM
  #63
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
So basically this is going nowhere because I see Campbell as a lower end starter or a higher end back-up and is 17 years old, and you don't see him as even being good enough to be a back-up. The fact that I value him as a #1.5 goaltender, and you value him as a #3 goaltender is going to effect judgement.

I already know your next argument apparently Dave MacQueen doesn't see him as a top 2 either. Oh well he's battling based on talent, not age against a 19 year old veteran, and a world level 16 year old, after spending his year as a 15/16 year old sitting on the bench all year. Dave MacQueen is not the end all/be all of goaltending analysis, so just because He cut Campbell from his team, doesn't mean Campbell is automatically a #3, especially at his age.

I hate to say it but i'll probably be cheering for whoever Campbell is playing for when he returns to the RBC Center, just to watch him stick it to people like you that think he's a piece of garbage fit to be thrown out, after being drastically mishandled by MacQueen himself, and the Sting organization as a whole.
Bit of a knee jerk reaction don't you think ? "Piece of garbage " are your words not mine. I definitely think there's a chance that MacQueen will be able to move him to some team as a backup, but what we're discussing is his potential value in the trade market. When was the last time a player that was cut by the Sting traded for a mid round pick ? In most cases the team doesn't get anything for those types of players, but goalie is a specialized position so there should be some value. Probably the best thing MacQueen could do is package up Campbell (or O'Quinn or both ) with something else that another team needs to enhance the value of those players.

jwalk is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 07:54 AM
  #64
jsting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Bit of a knee jerk reaction don't you think ? "Piece of garbage " are your words not mine. I definitely think there's a chance that MacQueen will be able to move him to some team as a backup, but what we're discussing is his potential value in the trade market. When was the last time a player that was cut by the Sting traded for a mid round pick ? In most cases the team doesn't get anything for those types of players, but goalie is a specialized position so there should be some value. Probably the best thing MacQueen could do is package up Campbell (or O'Quinn or both ) with something else that another team needs to enhance the value of those players.
Agreed, Lets be honest, Campbell is not going to bring back any thing higher then an 9th round pick imo. It's a numbers game, if you look at his stats your going to cringe at the site of them. O'Quinn i think can be a good player but the fact he was sent home decreases his value a lot. The best the sting can do is maybe pair them up and try to get something decent in return. I also think after a few weeks of regular season Campagna will be on his way as well...if not then but by trade deadline.

jsting is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 12:18 PM
  #65
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsting View Post
Agreed, Lets be honest, Campbell is not going to bring back any thing higher then an 9th round pick imo. It's a numbers game, if you look at his stats your going to cringe at the site of them. O'Quinn i think can be a good player but the fact he was sent home decreases his value a lot. The best the sting can do is maybe pair them up and try to get something decent in return. I also think after a few weeks of regular season Campagna will be on his way as well...if not then but by trade deadline.
The one thing that MacQueen does have is some extra mid round picks in the next couple of drafts. So maybe he could deal one or more of those to a team along with an O'Quinn or Campbell to a team that has a bare cupboard for something decent in return.

jwalk is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
  #66
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
The one thing that MacQueen does have is some extra mid round picks in the next couple of drafts. So maybe he could deal one or more of those to a team along with an O'Quinn or Campbell to a team that has a bare cupboard for something decent in return.
IMO, we are a few players short on defence. I see the Petes cut doornbosch and Missian. Both OA, but Doornbosch would be a steady force on D and i can honestly see loosing an OA, like JP.
We seem to have enough offence, although time will tell, but we can't always win games 8-6 or 7-5...

dansk55 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
  #67
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,464
vCash: 500
too late on doornbosch

traded to kitchener this am

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 04:05 PM
  #68
Stevie04
Registered User
 
Stevie04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port aux Basques, NF
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Season Opener

To address the above comment about the Pete's players that were cut. Doornbosch is an offensive Dman. People keep saying that we need to improve our blue line but IMO we have a decent blueline, a solid top 5 with 6 and 7 being questionable players. If you are going to go out and get another defenseman you aren't going to pick up an OA. Massien we have our goalies and we aren't going to pick up an OA.

Wallace is the Stings best option as an OA but if the Spits are going to hang onto him until late October then he may sit at home a little too long. Plus really what are his demands?

OK NOW DOWN TO BUSINESS!!!

Home opener tonight vs the Windsor Spitfires
The Spits have gotten back Kenny Ryan (Toronto) who was not in the line up last night as well as Goaltender Jack Campbell (Dallas) who was in the line up last night.

MacQueen made it no secrete that John Cullen was going to start the game tonight unless something happened this week. Flemmington begins his 5 game suspension. Latta has a 1 game suspension. Souice to the best of my knowledge is still hurt with a bulging disc. Campagna played last week but looked like garbage. Kavaratsis and O'Quinn have been sent home along with Campbell.

Roster:

John Cullen
Brandon Hope

Brett Sullivan (A) - Nathan Chiarlitti (C)
Joe Rogalski (A) - Daniel Broussard
Anothony Donati - Ryan Zupancic

Suspended: Kyle Flemmington
Injured: Ron Souice?
In the system: Josh Chapman (Sarnia Jr.B)

Branden Francisco - Kale Kerbashian (A) - Brett Ritchie (A)
Tyler Peters - Alex Galchenyuk - Nail Yakupov
Brandon Alderson - Garrett Hooey - Craig Hottot
Blake Thomas - Jesse Stoughton - J.C. Campagna

Suspended: Nick Latta
Injured: No one
In the System: Braden Kavaratis (Sarnia Jr. B)

Interesting note in 4 games Chapman has already accumulated 20 PIM! I think we need to call this kid up ya he is only 15 but lets see what the kid has in the fight department he was better than Donati and Zupancic IMO.

Windsor won their game last night.
Players to watch for the Windsor Spitfires:
-Jack Campbell: apparently an excellent goalie. made 27 saves on 31 shots last night
- Zack MacQueen: 2 goals 1 assist last night
- Tom Kuhnhackl: looked very good in preseason
- Alexander Khoklachev: 1 goal 1 assits last night looked dynamite in preseason
- Kenny Ryan: Just returned by the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Michael MacIntrye: Recieved in a trade earlier this week, 2 goals last night. Is he just playing above expectations right now

Players to watch for the Sarnia Sting:
- Nail Yakupov: Has potential to be a top 10 scorer in the league this year IMO
- Brett Ritchie: We did not get to see him too much in preseason action but it is his draft year and had a very excellent U18
- Alex Galchenyuk: 1st overall pick may have a difficult start but should score 20-30 goals this year
- Brandon Francisco: I think he will have a great year and put up 60+ pts
- Brett Sullivan: Best defensman in camp and preseason, can he stay healthy though

Stevie04 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
  #69
Soupy
Registered User
 
Soupy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns View Post
To address the above comment about the Pete's players that were cut. Doornbosch is an offensive Dman. People keep saying that we need to improve our blue line but IMO we have a decent blueline, a solid top 5 with 6 and 7 being questionable players. If you are going to go out and get another defenseman you aren't going to pick up an OA. Massien we have our goalies and we aren't going to pick up an OA.

Wallace is the Stings best option as an OA but if the Spits are going to hang onto him until late October then he may sit at home a little too long. Plus really what are his demands?

OK NOW DOWN TO BUSINESS!!!

Home opener tonight vs the Windsor Spitfires
The Spits have gotten back Kenny Ryan (Toronto) who was not in the line up last night as well as Goaltender Jack Campbell (Dallas) who was in the line up last night.

MacQueen made it no secrete that John Cullen was going to start the game tonight unless something happened this week. Flemmington begins his 5 game suspension. Latta has a 1 game suspension. Souice to the best of my knowledge is still hurt with a bulging disc. Campagna played last week but looked like garbage. Kavaratsis and O'Quinn have been sent home along with Campbell.

Roster:

John Cullen
Brandon Hope

Brett Sullivan (A) - Nathan Chiarlitti (C)
Joe Rogalski (A) - Daniel Broussard
Anothony Donati - Ryan Zupancic

Suspended: Kyle Flemmington
Injured: Ron Souice?
In the system: Josh Chapman (Sarnia Jr.B)

Branden Francisco - Kale Kerbashian (A) - Brett Ritchie (A)
Tyler Peters - Alex Galchenyuk - Nail Yakupov
Brandon Alderson - Garrett Hooey - Craig Hottot
Blake Thomas - Jesse Stoughton - J.C. Campagna

Suspended: Nick Latta
Injured: No one
In the System: Braden Kavaratis (Sarnia Jr. B)

Interesting note in 4 games Chapman has already accumulated 20 PIM! I think we need to call this kid up ya he is only 15 but lets see what the kid has in the fight department he was better than Donati and Zupancic IMO.

Windsor won their game last night.
Players to watch for the Windsor Spitfires:
-Jack Campbell: apparently an excellent goalie. made 27 saves on 31 shots last night
- Zack MacQueen: 2 goals 1 assist last night
- Tom Kuhnhackl: looked very good in preseason
- Alexander Khoklachev: 1 goal 1 assits last night looked dynamite in preseason
- Kenny Ryan: Just returned by the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Michael MacIntrye: Recieved in a trade earlier this week, 2 goals last night. Is he just playing above expectations right now

Players to watch for the Sarnia Sting:
- Nail Yakupov: Has potential to be a top 10 scorer in the league this year IMO
- Brett Ritchie: We did not get to see him too much in preseason action but it is his draft year and had a very excellent U18
- Alex Galchenyuk: 1st overall pick may have a difficult start but should score 20-30 goals this year
- Brandon Francisco: I think he will have a great year and put up 60+ pts
- Brett Sullivan: Best defensman in camp and preseason, can he stay healthy though
Just heard on the radio that Ryan Zupancic was traded today. Nevermind must have misheard because he is not dressed but at the game. Sorry


Last edited by Soupy: 09-24-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Soupy is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 09:49 PM
  #70
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Just heard on the radio that Ryan Zupancic was traded today. Nevermind must have misheard because he is not dressed but at the game. Sorry
Anton Zupancic was traded to Oshawa today, not Ryan. God help us when the third Zupancic joins the OHL lol.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
  #71
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Sideburns: We have a good blueline, idealistically i'd love to see us bring in a speedy puck moving defenceman, but that may cost us a blueliner (namely Rogalski?) But I'd like to see them add a steady blueliner.. but my hopes are that Zupancic improves, enough that he isn't a liability everytime he touches the puck (which is why he was out of the line-up tonight)

Nice to see Sarnia take it to Windsor like that. It should be interesting to see how Windsor does with Kassian and Ellis, because there were times I was thinking Ellis could have single handedly affected the momentum of the game. But just the same, he won't be in Windsor after the World Juniors (via trade) anyways, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The Zach MacQueen thing should be interesting becasue he was blatantly running player after player, you'd think there would be a mutual respect between him and his dad not to intentionally try to injure someone cause you'd think on both sides they'd want each other to succeed (just not against each other) and it puts Sarnia players in an awkward spot, because guys like Thomas who are barely holding onto a roster spot don't know what to do? Does it get to the point where you beat the crap out of the coaches son when he's continuously running your players, knowing that you might find yourself as a scratch the next couple games? I could see a few guys wanted to go after Zach at the end of the game for that blatant run and leap he did to the one Sting player. But at the same time in the 2nd Chiarlitti of all people asked him "do you want to" and dropped his arms is a position to get his gloves off quickly, and Mac put his head down and skated to the bench instead. So atleast someone was willing to step up from the Sting.

It's ironic the Windsor enforcers seemed to cost their team the game to an extent, as well as the chance to come back in this one with stupid penalty after stupid penalty, considering all the talk about Sarnia needing more toughness. But at the same time there was one point where I was worried when Windsor got more physical and Sarnia really didn't have anyone to answer the bell.

Default101 is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 11:43 PM
  #72
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Not a bad way for Cullen to start his tenure with the Sting with a shutout and being the first star of the game. The kid may be a little flaky but he's a gamer. I'd expect he'll start tomorrow against the Knights. My prediction is another Sting victory as I think the Knights are over rated.

jwalk is offline  
Old
09-24-2010, 11:57 PM
  #73
jsting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
the sting sure did get owned tonight in the "physical" department didnt they?....pffft not!

If other teams tough guys want to take stupid penelties and give us power plays go ahead..The sting played it very smart tonight...sometimes it can be a good thing not to have a goon on the team.

Good way to start the season. A very convincing win and some good flashes of talent out there. Should be a decent year.

jsting is offline  
Old
09-25-2010, 12:08 AM
  #74
Stevie04
Registered User
 
Stevie04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port aux Basques, NF
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Ry-Dogg... Yes I said we had a good top 5 not a solid blueline but a solid top 5.

Just got home from the game well and some food after the game none the less here are my thoughts.

After 1 it was still a 0-0 game and it was pretty even as far as momentum and puck possession and shots went.
Windsor had 2 5 on 3 and did absolutely nothing with them. I think our PK looked awesome tonight and Cullen was one of the best penalty killers on the ice which is what you need a goalie to do. Cullen impressed me and made a bunch of big saves.

Ryan Zupancic was scratched tonight in favor of Ron Souice. Who I have been noted to have a dislike for before but I think he is a solid defensive defenseman at least he looked like it tonight. He played a good game and as long as he doesn't get caught pinching or something should be good for us but when he gets caught his foot speed is his biggest downfall.

Interesting enough Campagna was scratched tonight. Is he re injured or is there something going on behind the scenes. I believe the Sting have bought back 1 game for Latta and Flemmington as Latta was not suspended tonight and was in the line up. There was mention that they may have been able to do that.

Best players for Sarnia tonight were by far Cullen, Galchenyuk and Yakupov. These players played awesome and Galchenyuk and Yakupov hopefully pleased Sting fans enough to not put too much pressure on them and let them do what they do best and play their game. Yakupov looked good I just wish he would shoot the puck a little more because he has the wheels and a rocket of a shot. He reminds me of an Alex Ovechkin type player to be honest. He isn't affraid to throw the body, he has great speed but looks to be more of a playmaker than a shooter like Ovechkin is.

Campbell looked good for Windsor tonight however it also helps having a goalie on our bench that knows the kid well and it looks like the sting may have gotten a tip to exploit his weakness but the kid stood tall and held Windsor in the game after the first period.

It is only 1 game so I am not too excited yet but I see this being a playoff team and not a last place team like some are touting them to be.

Someone mentioned Kassian. It looks like he is turning heads in Buffalo and may be given a shot at making the team if he fairs well in exhibition games.

Ellis will be back. I have 0 idea about Fowler since I cannot follow Anahiem but I say he is more physically ready for the NHL than Ellis is. Best case scenario for Sarnia is if all 3 are back but I am sure that when we play Windsor next on the 11th it will be a completely different looking team.
As for their big OA acquisions they are jokes.. well at least Tarini and Clouthier. Clouthier shouldn't have been put back on the ice after his 4 min spearing penalty but that is Windsor's choice I guess.

Stevie04 is offline  
Old
09-25-2010, 12:29 AM
  #75
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust
 
cupcrazyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,559
vCash: 500
Full marks to the Sting tonight for a well deserved victory.i expected a little more from Windsor tonight with the return of Ryan etc to their roster.i'm sure the next games vs the Spits will be different once the NHL camp players are returned.i still think we need some muscle up front.not a goon but someone who knows how to pick his spots & can also chip in some offense here & there.our defense looked a little out of sink to begin the game(1st game jitters ?) but improved as the game went on.i guess we know we can score & Cullen is good enough to start in the OHL & congrats on the SO.good to see the young guns get their 1st's of the year.


Last edited by cupcrazyman: 09-25-2010 at 12:40 AM.
cupcrazyman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.