HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Kristin Reid

Old
09-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Every single female sports reporter is attractive. If you're a hot girl you'd be dumb not to go into that field. It's a job 95% of the female population can't be a part of no matter how much they love sports or how skilled they are.

Oh you're hot? can you ask 3 questions and look into a camera? well you're hired!
What a dumb thing to say about her of all reporters. She got into the field because of the fact that she's good at what she does. You're right, most of the female reporters are attractive and probably get hired for that reason. Some may seem like bimbos but that doesn't apply to Reid at all in my opinion. If you saw her when she first entered she wasn't really that attractive. She's a cutie now but she's not a bimbo that goes over the top. That's one thing I really appreciate about her. She knows the game and does a good job reporting about it.

Towel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:24 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towel-Power View Post
What a dumb thing to say about her of all reporters. She got into the field because of the fact that she's good at what she does. You're right, most of the female reporters are attractive and probably get hired for that reason. Some may seem like bimbos but that doesn't apply to Reid at all in my opinion. If you saw her when she first entered she wasn't really that attractive. She's a cutie now but she's not a bimbo that goes over the top. That's one thing I really appreciate about her. She knows the game and does a good job reporting about it.
Yeah you're right it was unfair of me to insult her. She does a good job.

It's the ESPN bimbos I have a problem with. The Erin Andrews type. It's more of a USA thing I guess. I mean we put Cassie Campbell on tv, not because of her looks, but because of how fluent she is and how she doesn't freeze up or stutter

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Hammer79

LOL at how quickly this turned from a 'Happy B-day' thread into a 'Sexism in sports' thread.

I do think Reid is doing a good job. She obviously has done her homework w.r.t. the prospects. Yes, she does tend to lob softballs, but you'd expect that. She is knowledgeable about the players and seems to have a good rapport with most of them. She will often get the answers from the players to those burning questions everyone's been asking.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
average looking girl with a voice that's not going to get her far in media, not sure why people make a deal over her.
I saw her in action at the NHL Awards in June. She works hard to get the interviews/stories to air/press and does great work.

Me thinks people here just like to just complain to complain....normal Canucks board stuff.

Last edited by Dolemite: 09-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Proto

Quote:
and where does that place you and the other "holier than thou" people in this thread? Hey, let's come in and call everyone else losers, that'll make us look cool, right?

I like Kristin Reid and think she does a good job. No, she's not below my standards (though admittedly not my type). But her looks aren't out of the ordinary at all, and can't be the reason so many here find her attractive. And that's the last I'll say about it.
As I said, my comment about you fulfils the third level of meta-w ankery. My hands are not clean in this.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Like every female sideline reporter in sports she is only where she is because of her looks. It's reverse sexism and it's wrong. You may think she's part of the team but I think she's a joke.
Oh, and before this thread goes too far, who is Kristen anyway?

Anyway, not even knowing who she is, you post has all the markings of extreme insecurity. So, any woman in a job traditionally done by a man is a "joke" to you? Wow, are you insecure about women in general or your job being lost to a specific woman? Wow.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Oh, and before this thread goes too far, who is Kristen anyway?

Anyway, not even knowing who she is, you post has all the markings of extreme insecurity. So, any woman in a job traditionally done by a man is a "joke" to you? Wow, are you insecure about women in general or your job being lost to a specific woman? Wow.
She is the 'in house' reporter for the Canucks. She does interviews with the players and during breaks in play/intermissions they play some pieces to give the crowd something to look at while the game isn't on.

She doesn't do a terrible job. She is an attractive woman... and thankfully Vancouver is full of them.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
El Duderino

Quote:
Like every female sideline reporter in sports she is only where she is because of her looks. It's reverse sexism and it's wrong. You may think she's part of the team but I think she's a joke.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
19nazzy

Reverse sexism... reverse racism's best friend.

09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

I didn't read this thread so all I can say is that there is a serious lack of pics in here.

Danrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
I didn't read this thread so all I can say is that there is a serious lack of pics in here.

Happy Birthday.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:56 PM
mr buzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post

Happy Birthday.
Thats like a bad mug shot.

mr buzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
average looking girl with a voice that's not going to get her far in media, not sure why people make a deal over her. I guess some guys just fantasize about being with a girl who likes hockey.
This is the internet at its finest. A chick is cute, but instead of leaving it at that and letting the odd guy making a big deal about her you have to over compensate and make a dumb statement.

I would like to see what you're dating....

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:33 PM
mr buzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
This is the internet at its finest. A chick is cute, but instead of leaving it at that and letting the odd guy making a big deal about her you have to over compensate and make a dumb statement.

I agree with Ernie. I think he is 100% spot on with his comments. I think you are wrong.

Old
09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Pix...

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:

Happy Birthday.
This picture shows the ridiculous claims that she is there only for her "looks" or similar. I didn't know about her before but guess saw her on internet cast at one time or another and didn't think she was anything but a competent reporter.

Those arguing about whether she is cute or otherwise are just feeding the stereotypes.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
mr buzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
This picture shows the ridiculous claims that she is there only for her "looks" or similar. I didn't know about her before but guess saw her on internet cast at one time or another and didn't think she was anything but a competent reporter.

Those arguing about whether she is cute or otherwise are just feeding the stereotypes.
Yeah, I agree man...the world simply needs more PC to suck the life and personality out of people further.

Perhaps one day we can all dance together holding hands and sing Kumbaya, yeah that will be awesome.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:14 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Isn't that just... normal sexism?

Anyways, shes knowledgeable about the game and the team, and her tendency to "lob soft-ball questions" relates more to her position as a team employee than as a female reporter.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:39 AM
NuxFan09

Geez, this thread is so full of people who just want to air their dirty laundry. It started as a Happy Birthday for God's sakes!

Ernie, lighten up. Seriously. For the rest of us, let's give our birthday wishes, comment on her delightful exterior if you wish, and move on to the Cody Hodgson thread.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
MISC*
Negged.

She's like a 6 max, guys. Relax.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:

Happy Birthday.
meh, beats Megan Fox.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post

haha "chick"? what is this, 1990?

I'm not dating anyone (regularly). I have dated women who are both more attractive and less attractive than Kristin Reid in the past. But that's rather besides the point.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Sawchuk

Most importantly: she does a good interview, knows her stuff and does her research.
Secondly, having seen her since her start with the Canucks, I would say she has shown a noted improvement in a relatively short time; something one cannot say for many reporters.

Just compare her to the Flames media girl... Kristen's interviews are 10x better.

As for her looks: Who really cares? I would not say most newscasters are '10's, but no one complains about them. I would say 95% of girls (taking UVIC [her alma mater] as my sample base here so it may be somewhat skewed) that I see are 'attractive enough to be on tv' (whatever that may mean). Besides, most women newscasters benefit from far greater hair/makeup and lighting than post-game in the corner of a dressing room. If Kristen is not 'blow your mind gorgeous' she makes up for it by actually being competent at what she does.

Sawchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawchuk View Post
Most importantly: she does a good interview, knows her stuff and does her research.
Secondly, having seen her since her start with the Canucks, I would say she has shown a noted improvement in a relatively short time; something one cannot say for many reporters.
Agreed. She indeed knows her stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawchuk View Post
Just compare her to the Flames media girl... Kristen's interviews are 10x better.
You mean Alex Ruiz? Agree with you there. However, Ruiz is hilarious on Twitter. Reid hasn't quite got the grasp of her Twitter yet but it's not a big thing. Reid does good work and that's all that matters.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
She does a good job as the in-house reporter for the Canucks, which is a gig that I'd wager most people on this board would love to have. Any shots at her appearance - or that she's unqualified - are juvenile, she's hardly in 'weather girl' territory with regard to her competence.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote