HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kristin Reid

Old
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Instead of just being snarky as I was earlier, here's my more precise point about this thread:

There are quite a few examples in the media of both women and men who aren't hired for a specific skillset but because they have a certain appearance or characteristic. This is not uncommon. Traditionally in the case of women, this is quite often related to their appearance, and in the case of men it has traditionally been a sense of "gravitas". This is often more a break down of gender bias issues than anything else -- media's attempt to sell consumers what they "want": a flighty bird or a voice-of-god authority.

Today, there are numerous examples of this across a broad spectrum. I think it is at least arguable that it might be fair to be somewhat critical of women who have not only clearly been hired for their appearance but also don't seem to make much of an effort to be anything more than that. The recent unfortunate kerfuffle with NY Jets might be a good example of this -- along with the subsequent responses from professional female reporters.

Lumping Kristin Reid into this group is, I think, completely unfair. She seems to work hard and her reporting is well above the standard I expect from any local hockey reporter, let alone one employed by the team. I think her reports and interviews are consistently more informative than those we receive on nightly news broadcasts.

Your mileage may vary. Nevertheless, I don't think there are any examples of her actively "trading in" on her stature as a socially attractive woman. She presents herself professionally and acts professionally. As such, I find it somewhat distasteful that people feel the need to objectify her as something less than serious. It's a more insidious form of sexism -- to me, at least.

None of which is to say that it's wrong to find her attractive (she is, I think) or even to joke about it, but my personal preference is that people at least keep this in mind and don't cross the line into the infantile. I enjoy that HFboards isn't so much like CDC.

But, again, these are only my personal feelings. I don't like to play PC police and I certainly have my "celebrity crushes" (if you want to call it that). But it's because I respect Natalie Portman as an actress, dammit!

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
haha "chick"? what is this, 1990?

I'm not dating anyone (regularly). I have dated women who are both more attractive and less attractive than Kristin Reid in the past. But that's rather besides the point.
Your age is obviously as refined as your taste in women.

People underrate and overrate cute celeb chicks on the internet, usually in the same series of commentary. That's my point- you did the latter, probably overcompensating for someone elses overcompensating. I doubt you would think if you dated Kristen Reid that she was average. She is a cute girl, not like supermodel or anything but no need to overcompensate being Mr. eStud who could get 100 chicks better looking. Everyone is faceless behind a computer.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Your age is obviously as refined as your taste in women.
That sentence doesn't make any sense. As for my taste in women.. no self respecting women I know would even talk to a guy who referred to them as "chicks". That's caveman talk, the kind of language that guys use who refer to each other as "bro".

Quote:
People underrate and overrate cute celeb chicks on the internet, usually in the same series of commentary. That's my point- you did the latter, probably overcompensating for someone elses overcompensating. I doubt you would think if you dated Kristen Reid that she was average. She is a cute girl, not like supermodel or anything but no need to overcompensate being Mr. eStud who could get 100 chicks better looking. Everyone is faceless behind a computer.
If I dated Kristin Reid, I'd do so because I valued other things about her besides her looks. And she's far from hard on the eyes. As I've said, I like her and think she's good at her job. But I don't see anything about her (besides the fact that she's interviewing hockey players) that would warrant the reaction she gets.

I'm calling it the male puck bunny syndrome.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:55 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 893
4 pages and no one has brought up the NY Jets? I wonder what they would think of Kristin Reid? I'm going to be a fence sitter and say every situation is different. I think that clearly some women have an easier time breaking into the industry because of their looks, but no more than the men who get in because of who they know. I think Kristin does a good job. Could she be bettered, likely. Could we be stuck with worse, most definitely.

Happy belated birthday Kristin.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Ernie

yeah I'd rather have her than that short little dude who interviews for Sportsnet. Whatever his name is.

Old
09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
But it's because I respect Natalie Portman as an actress, dammit!
Whoa whoa whoa...partner. Whoa there.

I believe I pretty clearly called "dibs" on Ms. Portman several years ago. You just move along.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

There are quite a few examples in the media of both women and men who aren't hired for a specific skillset but because they have a certain appearance or characteristic.
*cough* James Duthie *cough*

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
That sentence doesn't make any sense. As for my taste in women.. no self respecting women I know would even talk to a guy who referred to them as "chicks". That's caveman talk, the kind of language that guys use who refer to each other as "bro".

If I dated Kristin Reid, I'd do so because I valued other things about her besides her looks. And she's far from hard on the eyes. As I've said, I like her and think she's good at her job. But I don't see anything about her (besides the fact that she's interviewing hockey players) that would warrant the reaction she gets.

I'm calling it the male puck bunny syndrome.
You're such a stud bro. Your epeen is so big, I wouldn't be surprised that you're an underwear model IRL.

Old
09-21-2010, 05:57 PM
crobro

i thought kristen reid was john mackeachies daughter

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
You're such a stud bro. Your epeen is so big, I wouldn't be surprised that you're an underwear model IRL.
and you think Pyatt is a god because he's good at hockey, right?

Old
09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
and you think Pyatt is a god because he's good at hockey, right?
Don't come up with all the good material at once bro.

Old
09-21-2010, 07:40 PM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

I'm sure Kristin has this thread bookmarked and she reads it everyday.
She would also like to meet and talk to everyone of you.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Starfighter
Still in my prime

Kristin Reid is hot and smart and talented and I wish her happy birthday!

Starfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
mr buzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
Kristin Reid is hot and smart and talented and I wish her happy birthday!
Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch? really?

mr buzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
People are used to seeing a guy doing the role that she's doing, and anytime you get to a see a girl doing the job instead she automatically goes up a couple points to people.. it's just human nature. I think she's about a 7, but probably goes up to an 8 or so using this rule.

I'm sure lots of us have had jobs where it's mostly guys, and then the rare time when you get to see a girl you definately have to upgrade her. Anybody whose done any construction or industrial work around here probably knows what it's like.

m9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Hey guys Kristin's birthday is over, maybe we can just let this thread die now.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Wellwood You

Didn't read through the whole thread, but I think what Ernie's trying to say is similar to Bill Simmons' "Press Box Hot" theory:

Quote:
Q: I am a big fan of your idea of "Press Box Hot" in which any remotely attractive woman instantly becomes a supermodel when she walks into the press box. While in summer school this week, I realized this also applies to the awful classrooms in August full of dudes and freaky chicks. It made me think of other places where "Press Box Hot" comes into play like church, sports collector conventions and Star Wars premieres. Any others?
-- Evan, Hope Valley, R.I.

SG: You forgot Seedy Strip Joint Hot; Female Blackjack Dealer Hot; Women's Professional Athlete Hot (Danica Patrick and Jennie Finch are undeniably cute, but stick them in the sports world and they suddenly become Victoria's Secret models); American Gladiators Hot; '80s Movies Hot; Cleaning Lady Hot (we all have at least one friend who talked themselves into an older cleaning lady once and had his way with her, and if you don't have this friend, that means YOU were the friend); Nanny Hot; Sports Bar Waitress Hot (the Carla Tortelli complex); Wedding Hot; Female Musician Hot (which is what makes the bassist for Stellastarr* so hot, because she'd be hot anyway, but as a bassist in an indie band, she's jaw-droppingly, stupefyingly hot); Hip Hop Backup Singer Hot; Beach Around 3 p.m. When You're Overheated & A Little Punchy Hot; Pregnant Hot (you're damned right I went there); Goth Hot; Tattooed Hot; and my personal favorite, '80s Female Pro Wresting Hot.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/090827

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote