HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan making the team- Why not?

Old
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
See, I don't understand why a team NEEDS a true 1st line center. You can have a center with 2nd line talent be completely serviceable if you have a Gaborik on one side and another talent on the other.
I agree to an extent, but my problem with this is that when someone like Kreider breaks the team Hank and Gabs will very possibly be over 30. Hopefully if all goes well, when Kreider comes in our other prospects will have developed into legitimate NHLers and our current young core would've taken their next step forwards, but if not I think it's going to lead to a race against time. I hope we can rely on Gabs for a very long time but if things don't go right I can see him and Hank's best years being wasted.

And on the case of the 1st line center, I agree but obviously a bonafide 1st liner, like Richards or Vinny Lecav, will make us that much better.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
We always say that, but of those players, who really is a standout player?

And by that, I'll define it as a player who isn't seldom found on every or most teams throughout the league. There are a dozen Byers, Wiese, Sauers... Thomas I don't know much about, won't comment. MZA is small, puny, will have to really be lucky to be a big time player in this league.

The only ones with upside past "good", I'd say, are Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McD and McIlrath, all of those players are probably penciled in 2nd line players (2nd pair for McD/McI), if they remain on their developmental track, with 1st line upside.

Other than that, that's just a bunch of dime-a-dozen players. Callahan is no different either. Even though we love him, there are quite a few Callahans around the league, a few Staals, and fans are off-and-on with players like Dubinsky and Girardi.

I'm not knocking our youth core, just saying that it isn't a rarity by any chance throughout the league and when pushed up in comparison to other teams, we won't look like much even if these players pan out to be who we think (and hope) they will be.
You do bring up some great points here.. Most every NHL team has quite a few prospects that they hype.. It's just the nature of this business... However, I do believe if the Rangers can stay consistent and build with the youth (even if some of the players are dime - a - dozen players) the chemistry on this team will be off the charts. The players will play as a TEAM and compete as a TEAM...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:32 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
You do bring up some great points here.. Most every NHL team has quite a few prospects that they hype.. It's just the nature of this business... However, I do believe if the Rangers can stay consistent and build with the youth (even if some of the players are dime - a - dozen players) the chemistry on this team will be off the charts. The players will play as a TEAM and compete as a TEAM...
That's true, think we're all eager to see that. At least being competitive is exciting, and being young is also exciting.

There's nothing exciting about has-been veterans, so at least we're in the right frame of mind currently (hopefully we stay there...)

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote