HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan making the team- Why not?

Old
09-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
again, I just think if someone earns their spot, you give it to them. You don't say "good job, you earned a spot, but we want you to start in the AHL because we think you'll wear down. Have fun!"

We also don't know what Stepan has done to prepare for this season and how capable he is in handling the season schedule.

I just see no reason to throw a blanket over him or other players like him and say that time in the AHL is required no matter what.

Same goes for McDonagh

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:44 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

stepan makes this team. we have a need and he has the ability. what more can the kid do to show hes ready for a shot ? if he looks good in camp, give him a locker.

im sick of waiting for a top prospect already. give him a shot, if he fails miserably- which he wont- he gets sent down anyway.

why is it ok to think mcd has a spot all locked up and not stepan ? why cant stepan be this years mdz ?

derek stepan is a PLAYMAKING CENTERMAN. HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

we kinda could use that here. right now. this season.

stepan or white or kennedy.....hmm.......stepan or kennedy or white.....

come on.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:06 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Stepan played about 50 games last season including the WJC...against kids. This isnt like the CHL where they play a good 60-80 games including playoffs..youre talking about a huge jump in schedule, along with a huge jump in competition. If Stepan was making the jump from junior id be far more intrigued about him starting in the NHL, but to me, the NCAA schedule doesnt prepare these kids for the rigors of the pro game...imho he should spend at least half a season in the A getting used to all these things before coming up.

but thats just me.
Of course, the counter argument is that in college everyone is a MINIMUM of 18 years old whereas in juniors you play against teams where half the players don't shave. So, yeah, you play fewer games, but the games you do play are against competition that is physically much more comparable to the pros.

As I said before, you let camp play out - if the kid earns a spot, he plays. If he then "breaks down", you rest him or send him down for a while. The only question here should be what happens if there's a "tie". But if he's the better player and gets sent down anyway, that has all kinds of bad news written all over it...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
pwoz

Stepan will be fine.. assuming he's pivoting the first line there's going to be lots of attention to Gaborik and Frolov anyway.. so he'll probably have some breathing room.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Stepanformayor*

You are dead wrong about your College analagy!!! The college freshman is now 20 years old. They play 2 years of junior hockey after they play high school then they play college. If you look at the Final Four last year the average age per player was about 22 years of age. College hockey has come a long ways in the last 7 or 8 years. Has it hurt Toews, Oshie, or Backus. Stepan is going to make this team, weather we like it or not!!! Torts really likes this kid. He has had nothing but great things to say about him, and he keeps saying the "kids" are playing well and we want to get younger. What other "kids" would he be talking about. The 2 from Wisconsin are the only ones that he has praised almost every day.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Stepanformayor*

My bad guys. I misread the post. Sorry!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Stepan played about 50 games last season including the WJC...against kids. This isnt like the CHL where they play a good 60-80 games including playoffs..youre talking about a huge jump in schedule, along with a huge jump in competition. If Stepan was making the jump from junior id be far more intrigued about him starting in the NHL, but to me, the NCAA schedule doesnt prepare these kids for the rigors of the pro game...imho he should spend at least half a season in the A getting used to all these things before coming up.

but thats just me.
Me too. There is also very little practice time in the NHL--prospects don't come into professional hockey knowing all the tricks of the trade and learning them on the fly is not the best way to teach them.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:19 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Me too. There is also very little practice time in the NHL--prospects don't come into professional hockey knowing all the tricks of the trade and learning them on the fly is not the best way to teach them.
For some people it is...everyone learns in different ways...that's a simple fact.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I just think if someone earns their spot, you give it to them.
It's a crazy idea... but it just might work.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
NYRCC

I know I should wait until after the first few preseason games to pass judgement on whether Stepan makes the team or not but right now, I say the kid makes it.

Maybe that changes. Maybe it doesn't, but If we keep seeing Torts give him first line minutes, he's in.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The organization has been setting the plate for this kid since the Spring. No way he left college w/o them saying he is almost a lock for a spot at pivot.

The wave of youngsters throughout the Canadian and US programs the last decade has shown us many of these kids can step in and contribute in a game that has evolved along with them, arguably because of them.

If Stepan can play now, and I think he can, he'll make the team and they'll roll him along slowly knowing the season will be the most daunting of his career. At least that's my hope.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
Maybe that changes. Maybe it doesn't, but If we keep seeing Torts give him first line minutes, he's in.
He is being tested, to see what he can handle. This is his tryout.

I wouldn't say he has "made it" at all. They're trying to see if he can handle being the center for Gaborik and Frolov. He'll keep getting time at the position, occasionally swapping with Christensen, to see who does better. If he does, he makes it. If he doesn't, he gets sent down.

This, of course, can change at any point during the season. But right now I guarantee he hasn't "made" it. He's in the evaluation process, and the decision likely won't be made until the last few preseason games, assuming he doesn't mess up before then.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:34 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

^

He's made the team.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:07 PM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
stepan makes this team. we have a need and he has the ability. what more can the kid do to show hes ready for a shot ? if he looks good in camp, give him a locker.

im sick of waiting for a top prospect already. give him a shot, if he fails miserably- which he wont- he gets sent down anyway.

why is it ok to think mcd has a spot all locked up and not stepan ? why cant stepan be this years mdz ?

come on.
Amen

If the kid looks good in camp he HAS to get a shot. Nothing can send your spirits down more than having a great camp and being snt down anyway.

At least give him the first 9-10 games(something like that) with the big club before having to make a decision.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Pizza

I'll second Lev here.

If he earns he gets it. That simple.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

but thats just me.
I just don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. To me, Stepan's abilities lie in his brain WAAAAY moreso than his body. That's the type of player that CAN make the jump even if he isn't quite ready physically.

But even so, I've been under the impression lately that guys fresh out of college are generally better conditioned than guys fresh out of junior. Has to do with way more time in the gym and in practice due to the lighter game schedule.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
^

He's made the team.
Did you forget the sarcasm smilie?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I just don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. To me, Stepan's abilities lie in his brain WAAAAY moreso than his body. That's the type of player that CAN make the jump even if he isn't quite ready physically.

But even so, I've been under the impression lately that guys fresh out of college are generally better conditioned than guys fresh out of junior. Has to do with way more time in the gym and in practice due to the lighter game schedule.
all good points.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

id be curious the success rate of players jumping to the pro game directly from college...Gilroy was very Meh...any examples recently of players going from college directly to the pro game and being successful at it? there are literally hundreds of kids who go from CHL to NHL...but NCAA to NHL? I cant think of many who have had success...though im sure ppl who follow the NCAA can come up with some.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
id be curious the success rate of players jumping to the pro game directly from college...Gilroy was very Meh...any examples recently of players going from college directly to the pro game and being successful at it? there are literally hundreds of kids who go from CHL to NHL...but NCAA to NHL? I cant think of many who have had success...though im sure ppl who follow the NCAA can come up with some.
I don't follow NCAA but Toews comes to mind. He scored 54 points his rookie season coming straight from North Dakota. (He only played two years of college too just like Stepan)

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
You can't even compare Stepan and Gilroy(who went to my HS). Gilroy isn't a very good NHL player. He's someone living off of his very good college years and hobey baker award. Most hobey baker winners haven't made/or have not had much success in the NHL. There's a rare few who have. Gilroy played forward his entire high school career. It was in college where he was changed to D. He may be a Andrew Hutchinson type individual in this league; nothing more. The money he is making off of just a good frozen four performance is pretty pathetic. He doesn't deserve $$ in the millions.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
You can't even compare Stepan and Gilroy(who went to my HS). Gilroy isn't a very good NHL player. He's someone living off of his very good college years and hobey baker award. Most hobey baker winners haven't made/or have not had much success in the NHL. There's a rare few who have. Gilroy played forward his entire high school career. It was in college where he was changed to D. He may be a Andrew Hutchinson type individual in this league; nothing more. The money he is making off of just a good frozen four performance is pretty pathetic. He doesn't deserve $$ in the millions.
I think people are selling Gilroy short. He have a TON of hockey in him.

Could he put it all together his first year not playing against kids, and instead playing against the best men's in the game? Maybe not. Maybe he were exposed in a few areas.

25 y/o or not, I wouldn't be suprised if Gilroy in 5 years is a nr 1 D for a NHL team outthere.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 02:58 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

Stop the presses, the jealousymeter is detecting something.

Why the bitterness, did he steal your lunch money and beat you up at the bus stop? Geez.

He is, what he is. I assume all the GMs vying to get him signed must have seen something valuable in him.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

come on.
we didn't have to wait so long for MDZ,` did we`?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
[/B]

Stop the presses, the jealousymeter is detecting something.

Why the bitterness, did he steal your lunch money and beat you up at the bus stop? Geez.

He is, what he is. I assume all the GMs vying to get him signed must have seen something valuable in him.
Yes he stole my lunch money, lol. Yes I'm jealous. You got me good. I think you should simmer down. He graduated and was in his senior year when I was a Freshmen at St Mary's high school. There is no bitterness. I attended many of the Gaels games and I'm giving you an honest assessment of a player who I know inside and out. I had gym class with him and he is an amazing human being. I consider him a friend so I don't appreciate your post at all. I'm giving you an honest assessment from a fans perspective. I do not see him amounting to the solid NHL player you and many others believe he can become. Sorry for pushing the wrong buttons buddy.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote