HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan As Center?

View Poll Results: Bobby Ryan As Center?
It Will Never Work - Hate The Idea 7 10.14%
It's Not Likely To Work - Waste of Time 28 40.58%
It's Likely to Work - Worth the Try 29 42.03%
It Will Absolutely Work - Stick With It 5 7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Takao
kesbae

vCash: 500
I hate the idea of having Ryan off the top two lines again. Or even Selanne on the third line?

Such a waste IMO. Freaking Juggles man

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer View Post
We have a perfect front line, why ruin it?
Total production might be better with Ryan off of the 1st line.

Here's some numbers. I went and checked Ryan's ES linemates (only summed up the first 96.74% of the ES events he was on ice for). Ryan spent 61.4% of his ES time with Getzlaf or Perry on the ice, but he scored 58.1% of his ES points with one of the 2 on the ice. Essentially meaning he produces equally on the first or second line.

Then I went through Getzlaf's numbers. 97.68% of his ES events accounted for. Getzlaf spent 49.0% of his time with Ryan, and scored 50% of his points. Again, he produces equally with or without Ryan (the line with Getzlaf is by default pretty much always the first line).

In which case the team might get more total offense splitting Ryan away from Getzlaf/Perry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
I hate the idea of having Ryan off the top two lines again. Or even Selanne on the third line?

Such a waste IMO. Freaking Juggles man
According to the Reg, Ryan would be center on the 2nd line with Selanne on it. Koivu would then presumably be on the 3rd with whoever's left.

Last edited by snarktacular: 09-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.
snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post

In which case the team might get more total offense splitting Ryan away from Getzlaf/Perry.

According to the Reg, Ryan would be center on the 2nd line with Selanne on it. Koivu would then presumably be on the 3rd with whoever's left.
Its Juggles, wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan centering Parros and Bodie

Old
09-19-2010, 11:16 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Because putting all your eggs in one basket makes it easier to defend against. The additional scoring gained from Ryan being on another line will likely be higher than the scoring lost from him not being on the top line.
I understand your point. I just dont think it applies to us because we have secondary scoring in Blake-Koivu-Selanne and Lupul when he's healthy. If we are talking about the '09 playoffs you are spot on.

I'd rather have a line that will dominate and one that will be good. But, I would love to see Ryan at center just to see how it works out and I think Ryan is good enough to pull it off. I dont care either way.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

hopefully ryan is on selannes line. koivu and selanne definitely have some chemistry, but a blake-koivu-selanne line would likely meet the other teams checking line almost always.

keeping the vets dispersed is the better move in my idea.

I say

Sexton-Getz-Perry
Belesky(blake)-Ryan-Selanne
Blake-Koivu-Lupul

3 scoring lines should give Selanne more rest to attack on the pp.

sexton on line 1 might be a huge stretch, but i think that line could stand it's own, and would really play into the strategy of dispersing our stars throughout the 3 lines.

Blake-Koivu-Lupul looks a lot less daunting than Belesky Ryan Selanne, but that could work to line 3's advantage.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Marchant is a versatile player but he is getting older, do you think he would be able to keep up with the kids on that line?
Its not by choice but if Ryan is going to learn the position, the Ducks would be wise to have another center there to help him adjust.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I think it's a terrible idea until at least until Lupul comes back. I know a lot of us were glad kariya didn't wind up here, but he would have really helped with the 3 scoring lines. Right now I think these should be the lines:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Blake-Koivu-Selanne
Belesky-Chipchura-Bodie
Vorros-Marchant-Parros

if RC can't resist the urge to roll 3 scoring lines, I guess I'd try this:

Belesky-Getzlaf-Perry
Marchant-Ryan-Selanne
Sexton-Koivu-Blake (Koivu and Sexton had chemistry last year)
Vorros-Chipchura-Parros

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:00 AM
JtotheLew

Ryan did great last year when he played with Koivu and Sexton.. The 3 lines could work well if Lupul was playing..

you could even go..

Beleskey-Getz-Perry
Sexton-Ryan-Lupul
Blake-Koivu-Selanne

I think that Ryan has a high skill set and is unique in that in addition to that skillset he has size and grit, he also has shown the potential to be a good 2 way player, I think in the long run it's definitely worth it to see if he can play center you will most likely be tapping into a lot more of his potential as a player. My concern is faceoffs and obviously the fact that right now we don't have the forwards to properly ice a 3 scoring line team.

Kariya definitely would have helped with this, without Lupul.. we go..

Beleskey-Getz-Perry
Blake-Ryan-????
Sexton-Koivu-Selanne
Voros-Chipchura-Parros

I really don't know what you do..unless RC knows something we don't.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:03 AM
JtotheLew

Might be a dumb question but is it possible that RC plans on using Chipchura a little differently this year, Chipchura played well last year but was originally supposed to be a higher end player then he has turned out to be so far..with his size and style of play he could be a decent winger for downlow on the cycle..but on the flip side he hasn't shown much if any offensive upside during his time in the show..

Just a throwing that out there though.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheLew View Post
Might be a dumb question but is it possible that RC plans on using Chipchura a little differently this year, Chipchura played well last year but was originally supposed to be a higher end player then he has turned out to be so far..with his size and style of play he could be a decent winger for downlow on the cycle..but on the flip side he hasn't shown much if any offensive upside during his time in the show..

Just a throwing that out there though.
I think Chips will be used to the same way, which is when he is being the most effective. Once RC fails at the 3 scoring lines again itll go back to normal. And after this year when Marchant will probably be gone Chipchura is the easy replacement

Old
09-20-2010, 07:55 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
"looks at posts, then slowly heads for exit."
thanks for saying that out loud inside quotation marks

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Marchant-Ryan-Selanne
I have a feeling that both Ryan and Selanne need an elite playmaker on their line to really flourish, and Marchant isn't one. (And so isn't Selanne or Ryan, even when they are both good).

So if the 3 scoring lines must be a priority,

2a/2b

Blake-Ryan- ??
Marchant/Sexton-Koivu-Selanne

Blake is closest to a playmaker what's left of the wingers, so that's why these lines. This said, I would prefer Ryan in the 1st line wing, and Blake/Sexton-Koivu-Selanne as the second.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Selanne138

i feel like 3 scoring lines really isnt going to work until Lupul is healthy.

Lupul-Getzlaf-Perry
Blake-Koivu-Selanne
Beleskey-Ryan-Sexton

Counting on Beleskey/Sexton/XXXXXX as 1/3 of my top 9 until Lupul comes back just doesnt make me feel good. At least Marchant is a proven third line guy, and we have competant checkers (Chipchura, Beleskey in that role, maybe Bodie) that can play that role, unlike the unknown of the three scoring lines.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:38 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Random thought.

Does the fact that they're experimenting with putting Bobby at center say anything about how they view the future center options? Does it imply anything about their confidence of Bonino/Holland/maybe Deschamps (although I believe he's viewed more as a LW) to fill a scoring center role in the near and/or long term?

Old
09-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Random thought.

Does the fact that they're experimenting with putting Bobby at center say anything about how they view the future center options? Does it imply anything about their confidence of Bonino/Holland/maybe Deschamps (although I believe he's viewed more as a LW) to fill a scoring center role in the near and/or long term?
It's still pretty early to say that. I would say only Bonino would apply there. If Ryan is successful at playing center that would be good for a few years, then once Holland is ready and proves he can play can slot in there with Ryan on his wing

Old
09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
It's still pretty early to say that. I would say only Bonino would apply there. If Ryan is successful at playing center that would be good for a few years, then once Holland is ready and proves he can play can slot in there with Ryan on his wing
I hope you are right

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Bonino has a long way to go before he comes a 2nd line center (if he ever becomes one).

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Nikko*

Its dumb **** like this that always has us losing 8 of the first 12 games to start the year. We don't have the talent to roll 3 scoring lines. Our 2nd line of Koivu, Selanne, and Blake is above average, but nothing to bank on. You put Koivu on the 3rd line with "whoever's left" and call it a scoring line? WTF.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Bonino has a long way to go before he comes a 2nd line center (if he ever becomes one).
agreed, i dont really get the Bonino hype, I dont see him ever becoming a second line center honestly.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
agreed, i dont really get the Bonino hype, I dont see him ever becoming a second line center honestly.
what hype

Old
09-26-2010, 09:45 PM
QnebO

I know its like everyone hates Kariya, but with him signed this 3 scoring line thing would've had change to actually work fine. I dont really see this working.. Does the coach think that you can pull out the best emotion, leadership and hardwork-trying-thing and all the heart of Koivu, by putting him on 3rd line minutes? No no... thats just so stupid.

Am i the only one who would like to see Getzy and the Grandpa (Teemu) to play in the same line one more time? Atleast trying it on preseason. Last time they played well and teemu scored 40g season if i dont misremember.

Scoring lines:
Perry - Getzlaf - Selšnne
Ryan - Koivu - Sexton

I would like that second line too. In paper it looks like Crazy speed and strenght, because even Koivu aint that soft after all. Sexton goes like full speed all the time and ryan is strong skilled player who can go grinding style too. First line would have a change to work because they all got very good vision and would had all 3 players good finishers.

Last edited by QnebO: 09-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

You can't sign a player who isn't playing this season, so forget about Kariya.

Selanne never played with Getzlaf for any appreciable stretch. His past 2 40 goal seasons were both with Andy McDonald at center.

Your top 2 lines are kind of amusing because they have 4 right wings out of 4 wingers. I'm not bagging on you, as that's what we have on the team. It's just kind of funny. Or maybe it's more sad because it shows our team's imbalance in wings.

Old
09-26-2010, 10:06 PM
QnebO

Quote:

Selanne never played with Getzlaf for any appreciable stretch. His past 2 40 goal seasons were both with Andy McDonald at center.
Allright.. I had the feeling allready that I rembember it wrong. Well, those times I didint know about espnplayer so i didint see the games too many..

But Selšnne would still benefit to play with guys that are tough and have a good vision.. You dont want to dump it for teemu and tell him to grind it.. You just should make a nifty move and get inside theblueline, then pass it to him so he can score it onetimer.

Im not trying to look like a pro analyst, just thinking about this stuff waiting the season starts, so im sorry. If they have tried all this, why dont try teemu and getz allso?

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:23 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

They probably don't try Getzlaf with Selanne because he's got Perry already on his right wing. They have tried Selanne at RW with Perry on the 2nd line before (beginning of last year?), it didn't last long.

Selanne does play with Getzlaf when Selanne is on the left side for the PP.

So unless they move Selanne to LW at ES too, I'm not sure it'll happen.

Old
09-26-2010, 10:37 PM
defer*

Quote:

Your top 2 lines are kind of amusing because they have 4 right wings out of 4 wingers. I'm not bagging on you, as that's what we have on the team. It's just kind of funny. Or maybe it's more sad because it shows our team's imbalance in wings.
this