HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan As Center?

View Poll Results: Bobby Ryan As Center?
It Will Never Work - Hate The Idea 7 10.14%
It's Not Likely To Work - Waste of Time 28 40.58%
It's Likely to Work - Worth the Try 29 42.03%
It Will Absolutely Work - Stick With It 5 7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
  #51
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011
 
S.S. Giggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Country: United States
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
what hype
Hype from last year that Bonino could be the 2nd line center answer. Anyways, I'm looking at things based on just the Canucks vs Ducks game so my judgment may be off but from what I saw, Ryan would take the faceoff and then revert himself right back to the winger position most of the time as if he was an extra winger although he did learn how to back-check. I think the Ryan-at-Center experiment should stop now because I don't think it's really making that much progress in terms of Ryan's adaptation to the responsibilities of that position. I think we should go back to what has worked in the past with Ryan and that's him as a winger.

Aside from Ryan as a centerman, I think Fowler needs another year in the OHL before he's ready for the big-show. He looked good but sometimes, he tried to do too much with the puck. He tried to skate the puck out of the d-zone by himself up the middle with heavy pressure, coughed the puck over, and it almost led to a goal. He has to learn that sometimes, he just has to make the safe play rather than trying for the ingenious one.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:17 AM
  #52
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
If this team is not set on contending this year, I say leave Ryan at center and Fowler on the blue line.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:47 AM
  #53
defer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
If this team is not set on contending this year, I say leave Ryan at center and Fowler on the blue line.
maybe ryan at center but WHY have fowler in the NHL?

it would only stunt his growlth. look at sbisa from 1 year ago.

he is 20 pounds heavier, smarter, more experienced, higher confidence and just older and more mature.

no reason to rush him. he is a major part of our future on defense.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:26 AM
  #54
Takao
kesbae
 
Takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
They need to just scrap this idea now. No need to mess with chemistry when this team has troubles playing at the start of the season. Would just make it another repeat of this teams 'Catch Up' theme

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:33 AM
  #55
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,180
vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Hype from last year that Bonino could be the 2nd line center answer. Anyways, I'm looking at things based on just the Canucks vs Ducks game so my judgment may be off but from what I saw, Ryan would take the faceoff and then revert himself right back to the winger position most of the time as if he was an extra winger although he did learn how to back-check. I think the Ryan-at-Center experiment should stop now because I don't think it's really making that much progress in terms of Ryan's adaptation to the responsibilities of that position. I think we should go back to what has worked in the past with Ryan and that's him as a winger.

Aside from Ryan as a centerman, I think Fowler needs another year in the OHL before he's ready for the big-show. He looked good but sometimes, he tried to do too much with the puck. He tried to skate the puck out of the d-zone by himself up the middle with heavy pressure, coughed the puck over, and it almost led to a goal. He has to learn that sometimes, he just has to make the safe play rather than trying for the ingenious one.
While I agree with you that he needs to work on this, if it's the only thing Fowler needs to learn then he should stay in the NHL. Juniors would probably reinforce those kind of tendencies because he would continue to be faster than everyone there. I think juniors is best because it would allow him to get stronger than playing in the NHL.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
  #56
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011
 
S.S. Giggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Country: United States
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
While I agree with you that he needs to work on this, if it's the only thing Fowler needs to learn then he should stay in the NHL. Juniors would probably reinforce those kind of tendencies because he would continue to be faster than everyone there. I think juniors is best because it would allow him to get stronger than playing in the NHL.
For the most part, I agree with you except for that bolded phrase. I think 1 year in Juniors is gonna do marvelously for him because he'll be doing 3 things:

1) Silencing those critics who claim that he fed off of Hall, Greg Nemisz, and Tyler Ennis.
2) With Hall and Nemisz graduating and going Pro, Fowler becomes the Spitfires' go-to guy on defense meaning more responsibilities. He'll have an easier time learning those responsibilities playing with guys his age than with guys much older than he is and at his own pace.
3) The main weak-point with Fowler, according to many scouts, was his physicality and, this goes back to point no. 2, he can learn at his own pace and with guys his age in Juniors therefore a much easier learning curve with mistakes more tolerable(and easier to point out) than at the Pro level.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
  #57
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
maybe ryan at center but WHY have fowler in the NHL?

it would only stunt his growlth. look at sbisa from 1 year ago.

he is 20 pounds heavier, smarter, more experienced, higher confidence and just older and more mature.

no reason to rush him. he is a major part of our future on defense.
I think it would be Better for his development to play against men every night and not dominate against boys. He gets away with so many things in juniors that he can't at the NHL level. I don't think he is completely ready yet which is why if we are not trying to compete I think he should be with the big club. I do this team is trying to compete so I think he gets his 9 games and goes back to juniors.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
  #58
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,180
vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
For the most part, I agree with you except for that bolded phrase. I think 1 year in Juniors is gonna do marvelously for him because he'll be doing 3 things:

1) Silencing those critics who claim that he fed off of Hall, Greg Nemisz, and Tyler Ennis.
2) With Hall and Nemisz graduating and going Pro, Fowler becomes the Spitfires' go-to guy on defense meaning more responsibilities. He'll have an easier time learning those responsibilities playing with guys his age than with guys much older than he is and at his own pace.
3) The main weak-point with Fowler, according to many scouts, was his physicality and, this goes back to point no. 2, he can learn at his own pace and with guys his age in Juniors therefore a much easier learning curve with mistakes more tolerable(and easier to point out) than at the Pro level.
I agree with your 3 points because I do agree that Fowler has to address them. Which is why I'm a big booster of sending him down. I was just saying that if the "do too much" mentality was the only thing for him work on, then he would be better served in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
I think it would be Better for his development to play against men every night and not dominate against boys. He gets away with so many things in juniors that he can't at the NHL level. I don't think he is completely ready yet which is why if we are not trying to compete I think he should be with the big club. I do this team is trying to compete so I think he gets his 9 games and goes back to juniors.
But Fowler is lacking in strength. Yes he would improve on any bad habits better in the NHL, but strength and physical mentality are best worked on in juniors where there is more time to train and because guys are smaller so he can get used to playing more of a power game (compared to the NHL where it would never work and he would just learn to avoid it).

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
  #59
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I agree with your 3 points because I do agree that Fowler has to address them. Which is why I'm a big booster of sending him down. I was just saying that if the "do too much" mentality was the only thing for him work on, then he would be better served in the NHL.

But Fowler is lacking in strength. Yes he would improve on any bad habits better in the NHL, but strength and physical mentality are best worked on in juniors where there is more time to train and because guys are smaller so he can get used to playing more of a power game (compared to the NHL where it would never work and he would just learn to avoid it).
I understand your point and reasoning completely, my opinion just differs.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
  #60
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
I can understand Fowler playing one more year in the juniors if he really has to, but i don't think sending him to the AHL is the right option. I think he should be on the ducks roster this year.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
  #61
KelVarnsen
Line combos anyone?
 
KelVarnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission Viejo
Country: United States
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
I could be wrong but Im pretty sure he cannot play in the the AHL. Its Ducks or Juniors.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
  #62
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 10,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
I could be wrong but Im pretty sure he cannot play in the the AHL. Its Ducks or Juniors.
yes, CHL juniors have rights to play in AHL only if they`re at least 20 years old.

On Fowler - it wouldn`t hurt if he plays one more in juniors. Even Scotty played a year in CHL after dradft.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:48 PM
  #63
James Franco
Registered User
 
James Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
isn't Jere Lehtenin still a fa? How about a 1 year bonus filled contract?

James Franco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:16 PM
  #64
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia
 
TheFlyingV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdavis225 View Post
isn't Jere Lehtenin still a fa? How about a 1 year bonus filled contract?
I think he retired.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:12 PM
  #65
rocsfeather
jump
 
rocsfeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arrowhead Pond
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
I think the team that the Ducks have (and have had) puts player development in a very odd place. If we were in a similar position roster wise as Edmonton, New York Islanders, or even a team like Colorado, I would be all for playing as many borderline prospects as possible.

But our roster doesn't allow us to say "total rebuild mode". I hope this isn't too biased but no team with Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Koivu, Hiller (hell even Niedermayer) should be missing the playoffs. A lack of drive, chemistry and key injuries kept us out of the playoffs last year, not so much talent (even just having one of Getz, Selanne or Lupul fully healthy would have put us at least in the 8th seed I think). My point is that there is too much established star power, that can work together, to experiment with a prospect (or several) in the lineup when there are very viable alternatives.

Fowler is a great talent, but I want him to not get knocked around for 82 games. He should likely be in juniors to bulk up a little while developing his talents with additional responsibilities. I think this team will make the playoffs and anything can really happen then, but I don't think Fowler is the answer between a Cup or not. Vis, Sbisa, Lydman, Sutton, Mara, Brookbank is our likely defense and I think it is good enough with the forwards and goalie we should be putting on the ice.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:06 PM
  #66
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011
 
S.S. Giggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Country: United States
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
I think the team that the Ducks have (and have had) puts player development in a very odd place. If we were in a similar position roster wise as Edmonton, New York Islanders, or even a team like Colorado, I would be all for playing as many borderline prospects as possible.

But our roster doesn't allow us to say "total rebuild mode". I hope this isn't too biased but no team with Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Koivu, Hiller (hell even Niedermayer) should be missing the playoffs. A lack of drive, chemistry and key injuries kept us out of the playoffs last year, not so much talent (even just having one of Getz, Selanne or Lupul fully healthy would have put us at least in the 8th seed I think). My point is that there is too much established star power, that can work together, to experiment with a prospect (or several) in the lineup when there are very viable alternatives.

Fowler is a great talent, but I want him to not get knocked around for 82 games. He should likely be in juniors to bulk up a little while developing his talents with additional responsibilities. I think this team will make the playoffs and anything can really happen then, but I don't think Fowler is the answer between a Cup or not. Vis, Sbisa, Lydman, Sutton, Mara, Brookbank is our likely defense and I think it is good enough with the forwards and goalie we should be putting on the ice.
That and I'd like to add that there's a flaw in Carlyle's system that needs to be fixed. Other than that, it's still a gamble on defense because Sutton really is a borderline no. 4 d-man much like Wisniewski was and should not be playing more than 23 minutes a night. Mara's a coin-flip with his injury problems in the past. We might have a decent defense IF Sbisa pans out. So far, it's like last year all over again.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:32 PM
  #67
Mooseduck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
At a rare afternoon practice on Thursday, to accommodate Face-Off Fest in the evening, Macenauer was centering a line that included Jason Blake and Dan Sexton on the wings. That factored into placing Bobby Ryan, who has been dabbling at center all training camp, back at left wing on a line with Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne.

Not giving up on any one look right now, the Ducks are merely toying with different combinations to find what works best for the team as a whole right now. Having a player like Macenauer has made that possible.

“We think off the camp that Macenauer has had, he has that speed element,” Carlyle said. “We feel Jason Blake also brings speed. Then we have Sexton or Bodie that can go in there and that could provide us with some offense also. There are lots of options. We’re still not giving up on the fact that we want to create three lines of offense.”
Final 25 Article Ducks Site

Lots of options this season, my guess, we will see most of them.
Go Ducks!!

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
  #68
Takao
kesbae
 
Takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
Final 25 Article Ducks Site

Lots of options this season, my guess, we will see most of them.
Go Ducks!!
Definitely like that A LOT better

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:44 PM
  #69
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011
 
S.S. Giggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Country: United States
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
Final 25 Article Ducks Site

Lots of options this season, my guess, we will see most of them.
Go Ducks!!
Hm... I kinda like the Macenauer/Blake/Sexton Combo but perhaps one problem is that they're way too small and it's possible that they could get worn down by the opponent defense due to their sizes.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:46 PM
  #70
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,891
vCash: 500
omfg ryan back to LW THANK YOUU even if it was just to "try out something"

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:55 AM
  #71
defer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Really pumped to see how beleskey does on the first line for a whole season. I'm expecting 25-25 ATLEAST


Last edited by defer*: 10-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
  #72
defer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
edit:fail


Last edited by defer*: 10-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.
defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:44 PM
  #73
Takao
kesbae
 
Takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
"The defense will be...umm...ummm...yaaaa....ok"

Edit:hmm why did I fail? can a mod fix this idk why its not woring
What the heck is that haha

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
  #74
defer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
What the heck is that haha
its a video that is not working lol

http://www.allducks.com/forums/index...st=90&start=90

go down a couple posts and its on there. go to 1:00

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:28 PM
  #75
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,637
vCash: 500
its the video on oc register

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.