HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2nd round pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 12:18 PM
degroat*

vCash: 500
2nd round pick

It appears that our 2nd round pick has been bumped back one spot due to the compensation pick (#46) the Rangers received for not getting Umberger signed. It is possible it coule get knocked back a few more depending on what compensatory picks the league awards for lost UFA's.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
It appears that our 2nd round pick has been bumped back one spot due to the compensation pick (#46) the Rangers received for not getting Umberger signed. It is possible it coule get knocked back a few more depending on what compensatory picks the league awards for lost UFA's.
Umberger was a given. If anyone else in the first 16 picks of the 2002 draft wasn't signed by June 1, those teams that drafted will get a pick 1 round later as compensation. (I'm sure someone has that info and will provide it shortly if it isn't already on the main boards.)

AFA Fedorov and Detroit, since they signed Hatcher and Whitney as UFA's they won't get a pick unless they lost more UFA's than they signed. I know they lost Fedorov and Robitaille, but don't remember anyone else off the top of my head and can't remember which other UFA's they signed - but if they signed more UFA's than they lost, they'll get no compensatory picks. (Again, someone will have that info around here before too long if they don't already.)

(That's why you'll see teams trade impending UFA's at the draft or shortly before July 1st - the team trading gets a little something like a 7th or 8th round pick instead of nothing, the team acquiring gets the compensatory pick when the UFA signs elsewhere.)

Old
06-04-2004, 03:46 PM
degroat*

There's a conversation about Detroit's situation on the prospects board.

I'm pretty sure Detroit lost more than they gained, so that doesn't make them ineligble. But, what would matter is whether or not Hatcher falls into the top 5% of the league when ranked by the system that they use that is primarily based on salary. If Hatcher falls within the top 5%... and it's damn close... Detroit would get nothing for Federov. If he doesn't they'll probably get a compensatory pick a couple picks in front of the Blues.

Old
06-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Umberger was a given. If anyone else in the first 16 picks of the 2002 draft wasn't signed by June 1, those teams that drafted will get a pick 1 round later as compensation. (I'm sure someone has that info and will provide it shortly if it isn't already on the main boards.)

AFA Fedorov and Detroit, since they signed Hatcher and Whitney as UFA's they won't get a pick unless they lost more UFA's than they signed. I know they lost Fedorov and Robitaille, but don't remember anyone else off the top of my head and can't remember which other UFA's they signed - but if they signed more UFA's than they lost, they'll get no compensatory picks. (Again, someone will have that info around here before too long if they don't already.)

(That's why you'll see teams trade impending UFA's at the draft or shortly before July 1st - the team trading gets a little something like a 7th or 8th round pick instead of nothing, the team acquiring gets the compensatory pick when the UFA signs elsewhere.)

They also signed Steve Thomas and Rivers, who played alot last year. I would expect them to get a late 4th or so...

Old
06-05-2004, 02:48 PM
degroat*

The way the system works Detroit couldn't get a fourth round pick for Fedorov.

Closed Thread