HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

vCash: 500

Just got a 4 pack of these sensory glasses, and surprisingly, they do make a difference in the taste of a beer. Really impressed with them, actually. Not just for Boston Lager, either, I've been drinking IPA's in them tonight, and they have all tasted a bit more smooth and balanced.

Old
07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Every year growing up my family went to the same beach/area in Maine. Well, we still get up there when we can at least once. Anyway, aside from Shipyard - which is a decent enough, fairly well-known brewery - we discovered Allagash.

Last month we took a tour of their small operation which is expanding even faster than they'd like. I'm not much of a beer connoisseur, but their stuff is fantastic.

Got myself one of these:

It's flavored and stored in old Jim Beam barrels with the left over sludge, etc. Talk about two of my favorite things.

Don't know if you guys have ever tried anything (their White is by far their top-seller), but I'd definitely recommend anything you can get from them. Apparently, they've become extremely popular in California.

Here's their Beer Advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/16909

Old
07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Tried a yummy beer from Scotland on Saturday. It's called Innis & Gunn Original and it's aged in oak bourbon barrels for like a month. Great stuff. Has a toffee, vanilla, oak, and whiskey-ish taste to it.

In fact I liked it so much, after I bought a tiny bottle of it to try on Saturday, I went back out and bought six 750 ml. bottles of it on Sunday.

Old
07-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
There is nothing quite as sad as trying to cut a cigar and having the damn cutter jam midway through.

It's still smokable, but gah. One side is just falling apart. I guess even good cutters age miserably...after a year...of slight usage...*glare*

As for alcohol...summer is pretty distinctly whiskey season for me. It always is whiskey season, but in summer especially because I hate summer seasonals. I found a six pack of Bayern Maibock last week at Albertson's and about **** my pants in excitement. At the bars I'm pretty much stuck on Big Sky's Summer Honey, but for as much as I've drank that in the summers I've never once bought a six pack of it for home consumption. My fridge is stocked with 'special occasion' beers like Old Rasputin and Gulden Draak. I'd have a Gulden Draak in celebration of the Pirates being in first place if I wasn't already in whiskey/cigar mode today. That'll be saved for Sunday

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
07-16-2011, 10:58 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
There is nothing quite as sad as trying to cut a cigar and having the damn cutter jam midway through.

It's still smokable, but gah. One side is just falling apart. I guess even good cutters age miserably...after a year...of slight usage...*glare*

As for alcohol...summer is pretty distinctly whiskey season for me. It always is whiskey season, but in summer especially because I hate summer seasonals. I found a six pack of Bayern Maibock last week at Albertson's and about **** my pants in excitement. At the bars I'm pretty much stuck on Big Sky's Summer Honey, but for as much as I've drank that in the summers I've never once bought a six pack of it for home consumption. My fridge is stocked with 'special occasion' beers like Old Rasputin and Gulden Draak. I'd have a Gulden Draak in celebration of the Pirates being in first place if I wasn't already in whiskey/cigar mode today. That'll be saved for Sunday
Just get a Xikar cutter man. They're guaranteed for life. Or better yet, just punch your cigars instead. That's what I do and after about 12 cigars my little $4 punch is still going strong.

Whatcha been smoking lately man? I tried 3 more cigars last weekend. A Montecristo No. 5, a Saint Luis Rey cigar, and a Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No. 2 (which are the Romeo y Julieta #2's that come wrapped in cedar instead of being in those white plastic tubes.)

Out of everything I had last weekend, the Saint Luis Rey cigar was by far my favourite. I just wish I knew which SLR cigar it was that I smoked as there are a bunch of different ones. The Montecristo No. 5 I found to be pretty tasteless and bland for a smaller cigar that's supposed to be "flavourful". And when it comes to the Romeo y Julieta "Cedros de Luxe No. 2's" I think I'll spend the extra $ from now on and just buy more Romeo y Julieta #2 Tubo cigars that come in the white tubes. As those are still my alltime favourite R&J cigars I think.

Old
07-17-2011, 01:49 PM
johnniewalker

I was in Buffalo last weekend for a visit and checked out a bar called the Blue Monk, which was like a combination of the beer selection of the Sharp Edge with the food from Point Brugge.

I has a glass of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which is fantastic on draught and possibly the best hefeweissbier I've ever tasted. I also had a De Ranke Guldenberg, which was good, and Liefmans Cuvée Brut which was very good. For whatever reason, I love sour cherry beers, and that was right up my alley.

It made me wish there was one in Pittsburgh. You can never have too many belgian cafes that serve 32 draughts on tap.

Old
07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

What are some other beer styles I should try? I think I've tried a good variety of stouts, porters, bocks, and IPA's and your typical seasonals and lagers. Is there anything else I'm missing out on?

Old
07-21-2011, 02:00 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
What are some other beer styles I should try? I think I've tried a good variety of stouts, porters, bocks, and IPA's and your typical seasonals and lagers. Is there anything else I'm missing out on?

Start trying things from there. Thank me later.

I had one of these the other night:

Freaking amazing. I've really come around to Orval after being meh on it for a while.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
DJ Spinoza

That's funny, Orval is one of only a few Belgians that I tried and immediately loved.

I have a feeling that my next stage in beer appreciation may be Belgians. I will have a decent-paying job this fall and have more disposable income. I will also be going to Philly in the fall for a philosophy conference, so I'll definitely hit up Monk's. But, I will be moving to Polish Hill in a week or so, which means I will be really close to Gooski's and that's not exactly the best atmosphere for a Belgian beer.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
That's funny, Orval is one of only a few Belgians that I tried and immediately loved.

I have a feeling that my next stage in beer appreciation may be Belgians. I will have a decent-paying job this fall and have more disposable income. I will also be going to Philly in the fall for a philosophy conference, so I'll definitely hit up Monk's. But, I will be moving to Polish Hill in a week or so, which means I will be really close to Gooski's and that's not exactly the best atmosphere for a Belgian beer.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Po...h&z=15&start=0

There is just no other beer-making region that holds a candle to Belgium for my taste. California is a second, but it's not very close.

Orval is amazing, WVP, though not as ridiculously good as some others.

Sharp Edge has St. Bernardus Abt 12 on tap right now, or did up until the last time I was there, which will crush your consciousness and molest your palette simultaneously.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
DJ Spinoza

The time I had St. Bernadus 12 with flourless Belgian chocolate cake at Monk's was among the best food experiences I've ever had.

Also, I live on a street parallel to Friendship avenue right now. I've been to Sharp Edge too many times to count, but I usually go for craft beer because I'm cheap (on Wednesdays it's half off).

Old
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
The time I had St. Bernadus 12 with flourless Belgian chocolate cake at Monk's was among the best food experiences I've ever had.

Also, I live on a street parallel to Friendship avenue right now. I've been to Sharp Edge too many times to count, but I usually go for craft beer because I'm cheap (on Wednesdays it's half off).
That would be tremendous.

With regard to the prices there, I agree completely. I only really drink Belgian drafts there during happy hour if I am ever able to get out of work before 6:30 to have one.

But, during happy hour, they are at least semi-reasonably priced.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:57 PM
DJ Spinoza

Yeah, I've done it during happy hour, but the late night is more conducive to my schedule. I had night class last fall and spring on Wednesday, so pretty much every Wednesday from 10-11:30 or so was spent at Sharp Edge for me and some friends. I have class again on Wednesday night this fall, so I imagine it will continue.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:06 PM
johnniewalker

I love their pizzas there. Nothing quite beats a pesto sauce pizza with feta cheese. They are absurdly good.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Po...h&z=15&start=0

There is just no other beer-making region that holds a candle to Belgium for my taste. California is a second, but it's not very close.

Orval is amazing, WVP, though not as ridiculously good as some others.

Sharp Edge has St. Bernardus Abt 12 on tap right now, or did up until the last time I was there, which will crush your consciousness and molest your palette simultaneously.
I'm sitting on my last Westvleteren 12 right now. I want to drink it but then I won't have anymore, hmmmm....

Old
07-21-2011, 03:39 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I'm sitting on my last Westvleteren 12 right now. I want to drink it but then I won't have anymore, hmmmm....
Is that the famed "BeerAdvocate Best Beer in the World"?

Old
07-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post

Start trying things from there. Thank me later.

I had one of these the other night:

Freaking amazing. I've really come around to Orval after being meh on it for a while.
I had a pretty good feeling someone would tell me to try something from a European country. Imports have probably what I've been neglecting the most, but for some reason I've become a huge Guinness fan it's probably become my favorite session beer. I always thought it was just too flat and bland especially for a stout, but I eventually just came to love it's rich-dark, dry, smooth, creamy flavor.

I've tried a couple Belgian beers before Blue Moon, Hoegarden, Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence.

Blue Moon - has always just been alright.

Hoegarden - I never liked, I always think the fruit flavors are always off the wall a bit and just don't mix well with everything else.

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence - Was a big dissapointment. Again fruit flavors were out of whack I thought, and the 'chocolate' taste was very dull and not very noticeable.

But I just picked an Orval after work, and tried it. I really thought it was going to be another unpleasant Belgian beer experience when I first smelled and tasted it. But it was actually pretty good. Good fruity taste up front but not overwhelming, then a nice dry, smooth, hoppy finish. Very good actually. I'd probably have it again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Blue Moon isn't a Belgian beer though, just a Canadian recipe of a Belgian style made by Coors.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Every year growing up my family went to the same beach/area in Maine. Well, we still get up there when we can at least once. Anyway, aside from Shipyard - which is a decent enough, fairly well-known brewery - we discovered Allagash.

Last month we took a tour of their small operation which is expanding even faster than they'd like. I'm not much of a beer connoisseur, but their stuff is fantastic.

Got myself one of these:

It's flavored and stored in old Jim Beam barrels with the left over sludge, etc. Talk about two of my favorite things.

Don't know if you guys have ever tried anything (their White is by far their top-seller), but I'd definitely recommend anything you can get from them. Apparently, they've become extremely popular in California.

Here's their Beer Advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/16909
When I hear the name Allagash, I start to have flashbacks to nightmares I got from an old episode of Unsolved Mysteries.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Blue Moon isn't a Belgian beer though, just a Canadian recipe of a Belgian style made by Coors.
Yeah I was wondering if I should have qualified that as one. Wasn't sure.

Old
07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Is that the famed "BeerAdvocate Best Beer in the World"?
Yeah...that's what hype + rare gets you on the internet. Still, it's very good. I brought back some of the 12 and 8 from Brussels and I'm down to one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
But I just picked an Orval after work, and tried it. I really thought it was going to be another unpleasant Belgian beer experience when I first smelled and tasted it. But it was actually pretty good. Good fruity taste up front but not overwhelming, then a nice dry, smooth, hoppy finish. Very good actually. I'd probably have it again. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Mr. T

Had a Flora Rustica from Upright recently. It's as good as I remember it from last year. Also had a Portland Pale Ale from Cascade. They usually brew sours, but this was a nice, easy to drink beer.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post

Just got a 4 pack of these sensory glasses, and surprisingly, they do make a difference in the taste of a beer. Really impressed with them, actually. Not just for Boston Lager, either, I've been drinking IPA's in them tonight, and they have all tasted a bit more smooth and balanced.
Interesting. Did you pick those up locally or from the internet?

Old
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
JTG

I always thought those glasses made beer taste better also. I thought it was in my head though.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I always thought those glasses made beer taste better also. I thought it was in my head though.
It is. When they say something like this is "scientifically tested," that means they used taste tests with the proper sample size and distribution. Of course, there's no way to control for a placebo effect in taste tests, so in all likelihood, a glass like this performs better in taste tests because most people think it will.

Closed Thread