HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

vCash: 600
I just came by to sing "I love the nightlife. I've got to Boogie."

Thank you to all my mitchrock fans.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
hiddenvariable

vCash: 500
hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

i think it's been over two years since i've been in this thread (or its predecessors). i imagine good times are still being had, yes?

that's about all i have to say right now. i guess i should say something on topic, so hear goes: bear republic is supposed to be pulling all its east coast distribution. and i drank the last racer 5 at fieldhouse in shadyside the other night.

that is all.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:53 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
Man, DFH Indian Brown Ale is such a great beer. I love the fact that I get a pretty nice buzz on two of them, and they are so dangerously drinkable.
That's probably the beer that won me over. When I first starting with craft beer I was just buying the weird labels available at my college stores, Rogue and such. I enjoyed the beer more of course but didn't give it much thought. Indian Brown Ale made me a full time convert and beer enthusiast. Actually have a few in my fridge right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I don't know if it's like that across the board, but I can only drink Full Sail from the tap. I've never had a Full Sail bottle that has ever really won me over, even their Wassail.

On draft they're great, one of the better all-around micros. In the bottle they're a mediocre micro in my opinion.
Shouldn't be that much of a difference unless they have production issues. Might be in your head more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenvariable View Post
hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

i think it's been over two years since i've been in this thread (or its predecessors). i imagine good times are still being had, yes?

that's about all i have to say right now. i guess i should say something on topic, so hear goes: bear republic is supposed to be pulling all its east coast distribution. and i drank the last racer 5 at fieldhouse in shadyside the other night.

that is all.
This thread slowed down as Doc, yourself and johnniewalker have stopped posting as much. Three of the bigger drivers of this thread.

I am still here, my wife has been pregnant for what seems like 3 years now but am planning to make a triumphant and boozy comeback next summer.

That sucks bad about Bear Republic, any reasons why? I think I remember reading that Fathead's played a role in getting them here at first.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
hiddenvariable

the reason i heard was that they can't meet demand on the west coast and so are de-expanding to keep their home base happy.

there are really about four major differences between bottled beer and kegged beer. first, bottled beer can be bottle conditioned. this makes it automatically better than kegged beer, and many of the best beers in the world don't come in kegs.

second, bottles let in more light than kegs, and so the beer has a greater chance of having a light fault (e.g. being skunked).

third, bottled beers often have a yeast sediment. if you drink this, you are drinking yeast, and may find it unpalatable, and may later find that it doesn't, ahem, bring out the best in you.

fourth, and in my opinion, most important, when beer comes in bottles, people tend to drink it out of the bottle. many people mistakenly believe they like draft beer better (because they like the beer and can actually taste it) or they like bottled beer better (because the beer is crap and they can't taste it), when in fact it's the same beer in both.

the lesson: always pour your beer into a glass.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

So here's my dilemma. Going to a restaurant that has a lot of beers I like on tap. Which shall I drink:
1. Lagunitas IPA
2. Stone IPA
3. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
4. Brother Thelonious
5. Matilda

Old
10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
WVP

Goose Island Matilda? I'd go with that with dinner.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
hiddenvariable

i would probably go with matilda myself, as well, but it's hard to pass up sublimely self-righteous. any beer on that list will do. and really, who says you have to choose just one?

Old
10-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Some semi-interesting statistics.

Montana falls behind only two countries in beer consumption...and holy crap, I knew the Czech Republic had the most beer consumption in the world per person, but I didn't know they had a 33% advantage over #2 Ireland while nearly doubling their Slovakian cousins.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
10-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

I'm thinking about possibly homebrewing a barleywine a one point. What's are your favorite brands out of curiosity? I was planning to start there and then add a wormwood/barrel whiskey tincture. Ideas?

Edit: Who's into Chef Boy-Ar-Dee?

Last edited by Mancouver: 10-21-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old
10-21-2011, 06:18 PM
JTG

I've always wanted to make my own beer

Old
10-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Coming out to Pittsburgh for the 11/11/11 game against Dallas. Does anyone know of an open hockey or maybe a rink rental thats treated like open hockey that I can get into?

Old
10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
I'm thinking about possibly homebrewing a barleywine a one point. What's are your favorite brands out of curiosity? I was planning to start there and then add a wormwood/barrel whiskey tincture. Ideas?

Edit: Who's into Chef Boy-Ar-Dee?
Barleywine is great. Mother of All Storms from Pelican is simply incredible.

My other, more readily available favorites are Old Boardhead, Old Knucklehead and Doggie Claws.

Old
10-23-2011, 09:07 AM
hiddenvariable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Barleywine is great. Mother of All Storms from Pelican is simply incredible.

My other, more readily available favorites are Old Boardhead, Old Knucklehead and Doggie Claws.
maybe in the city of roses, those are readily available. around pittsburgh, my favorite for a good long while has been old horizontal from victory. especially when aged, it is nothing short of amazing. pretty much all the standard offerings are good: brooklyn monster, weyerbacher blithering idiot, east end gratitude, and the various old what-have-yous from stone, green flash, dogfish head, southern tier.

mmm i can't wait for barleywine season.

Old
10-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
maybe in the city of roses, those are readily available. around pittsburgh, my favorite for a good long while has been old horizontal from victory. especially when aged, it is nothing short of amazing. pretty much all the standard offerings are good: brooklyn monster, weyerbacher blithering idiot, east end gratitude, and the various old what-have-yous from stone, green flash, dogfish head, southern tier.

mmm i can't wait for barleywine season.
Is this out yet? I'll be in Pittsburgh next week and I'd like to see if I can score some.

Old
10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
hiddenvariable

looking at the website, it appears it is brewed in november for january-march availability.

Old
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
looking at the website, it appears it is brewed in november for january-march availability.
I suppose I could have looked there too. Thank you for further enabling my laziness.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I've always wanted to make my own beer
Do it. I just started. Bottled my first batch last night. Hope I didn't screw it up.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:43 PM
DJ Spinoza

The best beer I had recently was Alesmiths Evil Dead Red, which I doubt is available outside of the west coast.

Old
10-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

The grocery store closest to my house just started carrying 6-packs of dead guy ale. My beer costs will be doubling some nights now. My wife will never understand how good it is.

Old
10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Does anyone know what the availability of Smuttynose's Shoals Pale Ale is? It's probably one of my favorite beers I've tried. I grabbed the last six-pack from a store back around April or May and haven't seen it stocked anywhere since. It's not a Spring seasonal is it?

Old
10-25-2011, 11:49 AM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Goose Island Matilda? I'd go with that with dinner.
Winner Winner Hamburger dinner.

Old
10-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
****...who neets a topic..I'm damn drunken and will be goin for it tonight, the freaking hard way...damn is life great

Old
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
This may be the most awesome thread on HFB.

I have a bro who lives in Youngstown, who raves about Fatheads and the Juju IPA.

Old
10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Lemieuxfan

nvm

Last edited by Lemieuxfan: 10-27-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old
10-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Lemieuxfan

nvm

Last edited by Lemieuxfan: 10-27-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Closed Thread