HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

vCash: 500
just ended the summer beer session with some anderson valley summer solstice. delicious... never had a bad brew from those guys.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:42 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
One thing any burgeoning beer drinker needs to learn is the importance of a good glass.

I've got so many different styles of beer glasses now that I don't have any normal glasses anymore

It's fun drinking orange juice out of a flute.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

i have all glass types, but unless it's a stout....they all go in the nonic pint.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Wow! I can't even tell you how good that looks. Thank you for the help sir and I will be giving these beers a try do you know of any places that sell them around here?
Well where do you live??? Call your local beer/liqour store or look online. I know here in Ontario the LCBO (liqour store) has a website where you can check inventory for LCBO's in your town etc.

Out of what I listed though, Samuel Adams Boston Lager should be the easiest to find.

Plus remember, if you're American...chances are you'll be able to find great stuff that we don't sell here or vice versa. I.E. take that Arrogant ******* Ale that HuskerTornado posted on the previous page...we don't have it in Ontario. Which is a shame too as I'd buy some just due to the awesomeness of the name and label alone.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:40 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
One thing any burgeoning beer drinker needs to learn is the importance of a good glass.

I've got so many different styles of beer glasses now that I don't have any normal glasses anymore

It's fun drinking orange juice out of a flute.
Yeah I'm hoping to acquire more glassware for my birthday or during the Christmas holidays when the LCBO has all those gift packs. So far I just have 3 Weizen glasses.

Two of these:

And one of these:

Two questions however:

A. Why the hell are you drinking orange juice out of a flute?

B. Enlighten us on how and why it's "fun."

Old
09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Well where do you live??? Call your local beer/liqour store or look online. I know here in Ontario the LCBO (liqour store) has a website where you can check inventory for LCBO's in your town etc.

Out of what I listed though, Samuel Adams Boston Lager should be the easiest to find.

Plus remember, if you're American...chances are you'll be able to find great stuff that we don't sell here or vice versa. I.E. take that Arrogant ******* Ale that HuskerTornado posted on the previous page...we don't have it in Ontario. Which is a shame too as I'd buy some just due to the awesomeness of the name and label alone.
I live about ten minutes from dahntahn Pittsburgh! But I most certainly will be looking around online. Around here we have a number of beer distributers, wine&spirit,etc. So I'm sure I can find something.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:21 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
I live about ten minutes from dahntahn Pittsburgh! But I most certainly will be looking around online. Around here we have a number of beer distributers, wine&spirit,etc. So I'm sure I can find something.
Happy searching. Lemme know whatcha find.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
A. Why the hell are you drinking orange juice out of a flute?

B. Enlighten us on how and why it's "fun."
Hyperbole...I've never actually done that

I don't have a dishwasher...getting the pulp out of the bottom would be a pain in the ass.

I do love it, though, when my only clean glasses are my chalices and goblets. Everything feels 325% more refined when drank from a chalice.

I've moved so much that I keep losing glassware...well that and roommates have broken the vast majority of the ones I've bought. I never allowed my roommates to drink from my beer glasses and the end result is that I've only lost a couple pint glasses throughout the years.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Hyperbole...I've never actually done that

I don't have a dishwasher...getting the pulp out of the bottom would be a pain in the ass.

I do love it, though, when my only clean glasses are my chalices and goblets. Everything feels 325% more refined when drank from a chalice.

I've moved so much that I keep losing glassware...well that and roommates have broken the vast majority of the ones I've bought. I never allowed my roommates to drink from my beer glasses and the end result is that I've only lost a couple pint glasses throughout the years.
Yeah I don't let anyone besides me use my 3 Weizen glasses or my Crown Royal whiskey glasses. Since I'm not fully stocked on glassware yet, if I'm not dranking wheat beers I'll just buy easy stuff I can drink from a bottle. I.E. Sam Adams Boston Lager

I would buy some nice pint glasses and other glassware after I move if the LCBO had some nice branded glassware with beer gift packs out right now. But they don't. Man I don't wanna wait till Xmas.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

was happy to score a case of this today. in pittsburgh i couldn't find the stuff after december last year.

breakfast of champs right here....

Old
09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

IIRC, I've never had a stout.

Wouldn't mind trying one.

Old
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

I only drink beer out of a bottle if I'm on a boat or outside somewhere I can't pour into a glass. I can't believe how many people don't like drinking out of a glass, though. People will come over and I can't convince them to pour into a glass...

Old
09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
I only drink beer out of a bottle if I'm on a boat or outside somewhere I can't pour into a glass. I can't believe how many people don't like drinking out of a glass, though. People will come over and I can't convince them to pour into a glass...
I rarely pour mine into a glass. If you offered to pour it I guess I'd let you, but if I got up to get the next round I'd be drinking form the bottle.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 09-06-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I rarely pour mine into a glass. If you offered to pour it I guess I'd let you, but if I got up to get the next round I'd be drinking form the bottle.
I like to let the beer breathe, smell the bouquet, etc. All beer tastes better poured out of the bottle into a glass, although some of it might be mental.

Pinkies up, broskies.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Liquor store run soon. May get some scotch.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I never drink from a bottle/can if avoidable either.

The recent chatter in here inspired me to buy a set of proper beer glasses for the first time on Amazon. English pub pint glasses and hefeweizen glasses. Cheers!

Old
09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I like to let the beer breathe, smell the bouquet, etc. All beer tastes better poured out of the bottle into a glass, although some of it might be mental.

Pinkies up, broskies.
I don't know. I have a friend that swears by it and I have never noticed a difference. I just notice having a glass to wash.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I never drink from a bottle/can if avoidable either.

The recent chatter in here inspired me to buy a set of proper beer glasses for the first time on Amazon. English pub pint glasses and hefeweizen glasses. Cheers!
Have you had hefeweizen's before??? If so, what did you pour em' into.

I know from experience pouring a hefe into just a glass = mess. So much foam.

I dunno, I've always loved the shape and look of hefeweizen glasses. Plus they're heavy and solid. They aren't flimsy which is nice.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:10 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Liquor store run soon. May get some scotch.
Trying to decide if I should do one tomorrow. Have plenty of beer, but almost all of it is dark ales and stouts. Need some variety for company...

Old
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:

I dunno, I've always loved the shape and look of hefeweizen glasses. Plus they're heavy and solid. They aren't flimsy which is nice.
Oh yeah, hefe is probably my favorite type of beer. I learned quickly to just be very slow and careful when pouring it.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Quote:

I really like the Samuel Adams glasses I got a year or so ago.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
I really like the Samuel Adams glasses I got a year or so ago.
Dude!!! I so want one of those!!!!!

Our LCBO had them as a free promotional item if you bought a six pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager like 2 years ago. But by the time I bit the bullet and tried/fell in love with Sam Adams Boston Lager they were gone.

Does the shape of that glass really make a difference in taste/flavour etc.?

Old
09-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Got a fifth of American Honey instead.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Oh yeah, hefe is probably my favorite type of beer. I learned quickly to just be very slow and careful when pouring it.
What's your favourite hefe man??? Have you tried Hacker-Pschorr or Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier??? If not I highly reccomend both.

About a month ago my fiancee bought me 2 Weihenstephaner giftpacks that contain three 500 ml. bottles each. One bottle of their Hefeweizen (which I know I love already), one bottle of their Kristallweissbier (that I've never tried yet), and one of their Hefeweissbier Dunkel (which is their dark wheat beer that I've been dying to try.) Plus I now have two Weihenstephaner branded hefe glasses (the exact same one I posted a pic of earlier.)

Sadly they're in her fridge till we move as I wanted to save them for when we're all unpacked. Can't want to crack those suckers open (especially the Dunkel) and relax.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
HuskerTornado
Waiting for October

Quote:
Dude!!! I so want one of those!!!!!

Our LCBO had them as a free promotional item if you bought a six pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager like 2 years ago. But by the time I bit the bullet and tried/fell in love with Sam Adams Boston Lager they were gone.

Does the shape of that glass really make a difference in taste/flavour etc.?
I paid about $20 for a 4-pack of them when I got them on ebay. The liquor store I go to has them on sale for 2/$5 right now.

The glasses do seem to improve the drinking experience. Even though they were designed for Boston Lager, every beer I have tried in them has been better than in a simple pint glass (and other glass types).

Closed Thread