HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto media bashes Stajan signing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
  #1
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Toronto media bashes Stajan signing

WOW!!


http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../15385646.html

Don't really have a the time to point out all the incredibly ridiculous points trying to be made in this article. But a couple that really jump out.

1) Stajan's contract is too large...how about Armstrong @ 3mil!
Stajan @ 3.5 for 50-60pts or Armstrong @ 3 for 30-40pts...hmmmmm
2) WTF!? Stajan should put up 80pts based on his contract. LOL, I didn't know that was the going rate for an 80pt man.

Just so much wrong with this article. discuss...

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
  #2
Brian Huddle
Future Consideration
 
Brian Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
A few things...

Armstrong IS overpaid, Stajan IS overpaid. And that article is god aweful (It's not just Toronto media-- it's media anywhere. Toronto just has more of it, because the media is so much more focused on the Leafs)

I like Stajan, and see what he brings to the table in decent playmaking, good two-way skills, professionalism, and is the type of player you can play in all situations, however he doesn't excel at anything-- and for the money he's paid, he should be a 2nd Line guy. And from the looks of it-- he is with Calgary behind Jokinen. However, what might hurt Calgary down the line is if Backlund steps it up and takes over Stajan (I think Backlund will be a good player and will take over the 2nd spot within a year/year and a half). You've then got alot of money stuck on the 3rd line, and will see Stajan's point production drop. The money won't kill you- but the term might.

As far as Armstrong... yea he's overpaid. It's what happens in Free Agency unfortunately.

Brian Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
  #3
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 1300
Link is 404
Fixed link: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../15385646.html


Last edited by Stewie Griffin: 09-20-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: link
Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
  #4
KeziaTML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 279
Toronto media is horrible.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
  #5
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 500
Yeah, that's an Eric Francis special right there.

I don't pay much attention to articles from the Toronto media, and this would be a good example of why.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:53 PM
  #6
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj View Post
A few things...

Armstrong IS overpaid, Stajan IS overpaid. And that article is god aweful (It's not just Toronto media-- it's media anywhere. Toronto just has more of it, because the media is so much more focused on the Leafs)

I like Stajan, and see what he brings to the table in decent playmaking, good two-way skills, professionalism, and is the type of player you can play in all situations, however he doesn't excel at anything-- and for the money he's paid, he should be a 2nd Line guy. And from the looks of it-- he is with Calgary behind Jokinen. However, what might hurt Calgary down the line is if Backlund steps it up and takes over Stajan (I think Backlund will be a good player and will take over the 2nd spot within a year/year and a half). You've then got alot of money stuck on the 3rd line, and will see Stajan's point production drop. The money won't kill you- but the term might.

As far as Armstrong... yea he's overpaid. It's what happens in Free Agency unfortunately.
I agree the term might hurt us in the long run. But price? I expect 50-55pts from stajan and 3.5 is pretty good. Ideally 3mil would be the best. But a comparable player is Lombardi and he got almost the same deal.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:58 PM
  #7
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Yeah, that's an Eric Francis special right there.

I don't pay much attention to articles from the Toronto media, and this would be a good example of why.
I have read a ton of crap from the the flames hatewagon this offseason. But wow! This one just shocked me with its pure stupidity, so I had to post for everyone to have a good laugh. It's articles like this that have me chomping at the bit to see what the standings look like come christmas.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:59 PM
  #8
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
thanks!

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
  #9
flames123
Registered User
 
flames123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
WOW!!
1) Stajan's contract is too large...how about Armstrong @ 3mil!
Stajan @ 3.5 for 50-60pts or Armstrong @ 3 for 30-40pts...hmmmmm
2) WTF!? Stajan should put up 80pts based on his contract. LOL, I didn't know that was the going rate for an 80pt man.

Just so much wrong with this article. discuss...
Good points. Mikko Koivu signed for 6.75M after only two years at 70 or so points. So I guess the going rate for 80pt player should be well over 7M. Stajan at 4M wouldn't even be a gross overpayment. One point to note is that he makes 4.5M for the first 2 years.

Whoever wrote that is really not informed about our teams situation and shouldn't be writing about us. Leave it to the guys who are at the Dome 50+ times a year and know the players on a first name basis.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
  #10
Split98
Registered User
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
My favourite is that Popalis looked at a 10th place finish and reported it... but never thought to check the point totals and see that we were tied for 9th at 90. Doesn't make one iota of difference whatsoever... just funny to see such great reporting.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
  #11
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 50
Anyone familiar with George Popalis? The way he jumped to the conclusion that Stajan is expected to get 80 points in Calgary was baseless. I don't know how credible he is but I'm definitely not taking him seriously.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
  #12
flames123
Registered User
 
flames123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Anyone familiar with George Popalis? The way he jumped to the conclusion that Stajan is expected to get 80 points in Calgary was baseless. I don't know how credible he is but I'm definitely not taking him seriously.
I think most people here in Calgary expect a minimum 15 goals and 30 assists. Anything more is a bonus. He should be in the 50-60 range. Playing with Bourque and Hagman should keep his #'s respectable.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:33 PM
  #13
maverick9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
WOW!!


http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../15385646.html

Don't really have a the time to point out all the incredibly ridiculous points trying to be made in this article. But a couple that really jump out.

1) Stajan's contract is too large...how about Armstrong @ 3mil!
Stajan @ 3.5 for 50-60pts or Armstrong @ 3 for 30-40pts...hmmmmm
2) WTF!? Stajan should put up 80pts based on his contract. LOL, I didn't know that was the going rate for an 80pt man.

Just so much wrong with this article. discuss...
thanks for posting. ya 3.5 mil could be a lil high. i am in the minority and think that staj will give value for this signing. i think most likely he will be around 60 point mark give or take. but could depending on his linemates be a 65 70 point guy. i know i may lean a little high on him but he can score and distribute. his defensive play is underated as well. is he a super star nope. but i think he will fit in nicely in his first full season and will win over alot of fans here and shut up alot of people out east not that any of us care about that. i was a fan of stajan before the trade and will continue to support. i think the staj vs armstrong comparison will turnout the flames way. oct 7 almost here go flames go.

maverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
  #14
flames123
Registered User
 
flames123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9 View Post
thanks for posting. ya 3.5 mil could be a lil high. i am in the minority and think that staj will give value for this signing. i think most likely he will be around 60 point mark give or take. but could depending on his linemates be a 65 70 point guy. i know i may lean a little high on him but he can score and distribute. his defensive play is underated as well. is he a super star nope. but i think he will fit in nicely in his first full season and will win over alot of fans here and shut up alot of people out east not that any of us care about that. i was a fan of stajan before the trade and will continue to support. i think the staj vs armstrong comparison will turnout the flames way. oct 7 almost here go flames go.
Most Flames fans don't even think he will get that high. 50pts would be my expectation, and most would agree.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:35 AM
  #15
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,218
vCash: 50
The guy is a hack. There's a reason he's writing for Canoe (or Slam or whatever) and not a paper. Pay no attention.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:41 AM
  #16
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
Toronto media is horrible.
+1

As much as I love the Flames (one of the teams I cheer for if the Leafs aren't in it), but I thought the Stajan signing was too much considering what he brings to the table. I was never a fan of him in Toronto. I've always thought that he's a classic tweener in hockey. Not defensive enough to be a pure 3rd liner, and not offensive enough to be a pure 2nd liner. He's a solid player in hindsight, but not one of his skill sticks out. Armstrong is a tad overpaid, I agree, but he's valuable to Burke because of his truculent style of play, which he demonstrates consistently.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
  #17
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Who cares what Toronto media types say. They are immensely jaded with regards to their covering of a perrenial bottom feeder hockey team. This article is simply a metaphor for that. Nothing to see here.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
  #18
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 500
Stajan is Phaneuf'd out

Quote:
“No matter what, everybody in Toronto’s going to say that. People will say, ‘Dion’s the best player, and Toronto won the trade,’ but people can say what they want,” said Stajan, who was part of the deal along with current Flames Ian White and Niklas Hagman. “But there are three of us here who are quality NHL players, and we want to make sure we’re proving that we’re a big part of the deal.

“I really don’t listen to that stuff, but growing up in Toronto and living there in the summer, there’s a lot of hype. That’s just the way Toronto is. I’ve seen it before, and all the best to them.”

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
  #19
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
I think the Stajan signing was solid... his addition has made the centre corps better. White on D adds (but does not entirely replace Phaneuf) a mobile D man not to mention Hagman. I will take Stajan over Versteeg ANY day.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
  #20
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
I hope Stajan lights up the Leafs when we visit Toronto, would be ****in hilarious


that said the article is pretty far off base... and it has to be to have me agreeing with the Gnome

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
  #21
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,157
vCash: 50
The guy could score 50 goals, and the Toronto media would still find a way to bash him.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
  #22
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
The guy could score 50 goals, and the Toronto media would still find a way to bash him.
I think the article is ridiculous in that he seems to be way off base with ideas on what 3.5 million is worth in this market - certainly not 80 points that's for damn sure.

But it's worth pointing out that when Stajan was scoring ~60 points for the Leafs, it was QUITE OFTEN fans of other teams, many times Canadian teams and yes, many times the Flames telling us Leaf fans -- "Matt Stajan!? He sucks!! Who cares he got 60 points, someone has to score." And this when he was making half of what he's being paid now.

I wish him all the best there. He was a great guy and never complained once about some of the slack he got here but I hope Flames fans recognize that many of them had previously underrated him.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:43 PM
  #23
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
But it's worth pointing out that when Stajan was scoring ~60 points for the Leafs, it was QUITE OFTEN fans of other teams, many times Canadian teams and yes, many times the Flames telling us Leaf fans -- "Matt Stajan!? He sucks!! Who cares he got 60 points, someone has to score."

There's been just as many Leafs fans callin' Phaneuf overrated when he was here. Works both ways.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
  #24
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
There's been just as many Leafs fans callin' Phaneuf overrated when he was here. Works both ways.
Absolutely. Though this is the Stajan thread. I'm just responding to people who are saying Toronto's giving Stajan no credit -- either did Calgary before the trade.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
  #25
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
What I hate the most about this article, is how the guy is saying that at 3.5, Stajan needs to get a point per game or us Flames fans will kill him.

Now the weird thing is ever since Stajan has been in Calgary, we have stated that if he can put 50-60pts we will be content.

Also....since when is 3.5million an albotross contract????

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.