HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Skinner

Old
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Bob Barker

vCash: 500
Jeff Skinner

Hi Hurricanes fans,
I tried searching your board but couldn't find the thread I was looking for so I thought I'd start one.

I'm a Kitchener Rangers fan and I want to know the chances you think that the Rangers have of getting Mr. Skinner back this season. He would really help the Rangers gun for the Ontario Hockey League title. We as Rangers fans have speculated, guessed and predicted this, but they, like me, don't have nearly as solid of a grasp on the team as you obviously do. What do you think his chances are?

All indications from the media haven't been good, as Rutherford says he's got a great chance (correct me if I'm wrong)

Good luck in the season, I'm a big Staal, Sutter, Ward (and obviously Skinner) fan and don't hold it against me that I cheer for the Leafs, some of us are reasonable and knowledgeable human beings believe it or not.

If there's a thread about this already that I missed in my search, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

I would say that about a week ago his chance to make the big club were MUCH better than they are today...

Signing O'Sullivan likely takes away another roster spot, and unless we make some unexpected trades or cuts, it just doesn't look like he has a spot. While yes, he's probably more cut out to help the team this year than, say, Boychuk, in a year that will likely be a rebuild we need him to get as much playing time as possible, and that's likely in Kitchener.

That being said, JR has indeed given him high praise, and said he'd likely make the team. Of course, that was before we signed O'Sullivan.

What I guess I'm trying to get at is that I have no earthly idea what Skinner's gonna do this year. I can say that I'm fairly confident he'll get 9 games, and his chances could improve if he plays center (as he's doing in the first preseason game). But again, we've collected too many players. Our prospect pool and bottom 6 forward pool could be too deep for Skinner to pull out a roster spot from this (in John Forslund's terms) bevy of humanity.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Gr8Dan

Dmonk just said in the offseason thread Canes are holding a conference for a player signing.

Its most likely Jeff Skinner to an entry level contract.

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Bob McKenzie TSNBobMcKenzie

Skinner will be on Canes opening day roster unless he plays way off in pre-season and that is highly unlikely. Calder candidate? Perhaps.
Tweet from 5 minutes ago.

09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Someone needs to link to that draft thread when so many people hated this pick. I guess you hate the (relatively) unknown

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

09-20-2010, 06:50 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Wow great work..this kid is already making an impact. Bonus.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Forget my last post then.

My revised answer: He will likely be with the Canes all year, sorry.

Old
09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post

Signing O'Sullivan likely takes away another roster spot, and unless we make some unexpected trades or cuts,
O'Sully is a 1st rate clown. He's not taking anything away from anyone.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
1213caniac1630*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post

he's a DA victim, being one, I can tell you, it ain't easy to do ANYTHING...you have NO self confidence whatsoever..back off and let him play, and then make your judgment

1213caniac1630* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:

Well, it wasn't the answer I was looking for, but I guess the truth hurts. He's still my favourite Ranger ever. Although Andre Benoit gives him a run for his money.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:02 PM
1213caniac1630*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post

Well, it wasn't the answer I was looking for, but I guess the truth hurts. He's still my favourite Ranger ever. Although Andre Benoit gives him a run for his money.
very sorry, rooting hard for Kitchener this year, Landeskog looks pretty good too.

sincerest apologies, and good luck.

1213caniac1630* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
And you're so great, eh? You're the one who's the clown for passing judgement on a person you don't know.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post

No love for Mike Richards or Scott Stevens? Jakub Kindl was a beast as well..

There are a few more that are slipping my mind at the moment but I agree, there have been very few elite talents that make you remember them like those guys. Murphy is another one that has come out of nowhere.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
ur a ******, please leave

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Do you think they are just keeping him for the 9 games or something... If he plays a certain number of games up here, can't we send him to Char? or am I totally confused here?

Old
09-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Do you think they are just keeping him for the 9 games or something... If he plays a certain number of games up here, can't we send him to Char? or am I totally confused here?
After 9 games, he stays or goes back to Kitchener. He's not eligible to play in the AHL at 18.

EDIT: I should add that he's not eligible to play in the AHL in your scenario. He can join the Checkers for a playoff run at 18.

Last edited by Big Daddy Cane: 09-20-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
In an agreement likely formed to keep strong talent in juniors as long as possible, the CHL and the AHL have an agreement in which CHL players having been drafted cannot play in the AHL until they are 20 years old... This is why we've only got 9 games, after that he's either got to stay or go back to Kitchener, he can't play for Charlotte (and likely never will).

One common misconception is that the AHL has an age limit of 20, and that no one under 20 can play in it. This is false, only those coming from the CHL are ineligible before age 20...

Old
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

He could play for the Checkers once the Rangers season is over. So in theory he could stay in Raleigh all year and then go down for a Checkers playoff run.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I am just not sure he's ready for the NHL... If we had a team that had huge talent in the top 6, I could see him playing on the third line, but I'm a little miffed about where he will play here... He can't play 4th line minutes and I don't think he can play top line minutes... so that leaves second and third line minutes... And with Tlusty on a one way and POS signed where does he fit... I mean, I'd love to see Cole or Sammy gone to make room, but that won't happen either... I mean does Boychuk go back the A to make room for Skinner? and Osala can kiss his chance this year good bye...

Old
09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Scorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
He could play for the Checkers once the Rangers season is over. So in theory he could stay in Raleigh all year and then go down for a Checkers playoff run.
With kitchner likely to make a run at the memorial cup, it's likely that kitchner is done after Charlotte.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Brian Huddle
Future Consideration

Quote:

Doubtful.

Skinner just doesn't have the upper body strength, or defensive game for the NHL yet. He definitely needs another year in the O, and if he stays past the 10 game tryout, it'll be a case of rushing.

I like Skinner alot and think you guys have a great player here (I'm from Kitchener and go to a boatload of Rangers games), but he needs to bulk up and learn a few things-- and he'll need to be converted to a winger at the NHL level.

Brian Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Question:

If he starts in the O, can we call him up and send him down? What are the exact rules regarding that

Old
09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Brian Huddle
Future Consideration

Quote:
Question:

If he starts in the O, can we call him up and send him down? What are the exact rules regarding that
Nope. He'd have to spend the year with Kitchener, unless eh was called up on "Emergency basis" which is unlikely.

AND if he plays past 10 games for Carolina-- you use up a year of his contract, and he's 1 year closer to UFA Status.

Brian Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:34 AM
wallym

There has been one juniors player who stuck, and that was Eric Staal, who lit up the preseason, and held his own with 31 points in the regular season.

Boychuck played 2 games. Sutter played 0 games.

So I'm not sure why people are convinced that Skinner just needs to not trip too much to stick with the Canes for the whole season. If he shows he can do what the brass thinks he can do, then we want him on the roster. If he doesn't show that, he'll be back in Kitchener.

I get the suspicion the Canes think they might be able to sneak up on a lot of people this year. So I don't expect them to spend the season on someone who is just a project and not a contributor at 3rd line center when there are so many options available.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote