HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken or Bruised Ribs.. can I play?

Old
10-03-2010, 09:19 AM
GenerationalTalent

vCash: 500
Broken or Bruised Ribs.. can I play?

I play on a competive midget hockey team andMonday in a game I was hurt my ribs. Now I cannot remeber what really cause the injury. I was just completely winded when I got to the bench, I had never been that out of wind before then. I finished the game without a lot of pain, I didn't think about the pain in the rib, although I had was short on breath but, thinking back now I did have a little pain. Once my adenerline from a close lost was out in the dressing room, I felt the pain in the top of my rib cage. On the bus ride home I was in pain but, no a lot I could feel it in the top and front of my rib and little in my back. Next morning, I could not run or exsert myself at all without pain. It was a rough day especially when my buddy decided he would throw a jab at my stomach.

On Wednesday and Thursday the pain was better although not gone. Movements such as getting up and shooting a puck were quite painful. I went to my chiropractior and he lifted my arm pushed on my back and said he knew exactly was it was, he did a little crack on my back and I felt healed immediatley.

Friday night I had a hockey practice a light body check brought the pain back. Although it seemed fine yesterday. I had a little tenderness until, a physical game brought the pain back, I want to say worst then ever but I am not sure about that.

Anyways today I have game and after today we a few days break... I believe so I was wondering if I could play this game and then rest. i did lots of reading on the internet about these injuries and it seems I probably have a bad bruise by some simple tests the sites suggested I could do. I really want to play tonight because it will be a fair while before we play after this with a break for thankgiving. My team is also already down two players and don't have any APs ready so if I can play this one game without doing any damage I would love.

I feel the pain when I play but, I can play through without it effecting myplay very much. The only differnce is I have found that hits aren't hard and more of rub-offs then hits because it hurts to make a real solid blow.

Thanks for any advice.

GenerationalTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 26871
Is the pain severe? Did you see a doc and get it x-rayed? If the pain is severe you need to do this. If it's not severe, particularly when you take a deep breath, cough or do anything physical, they're probably not cracked. I'd still recommend seeing a doctor though. He can clear you to play or not. Playing with cracked ribs can be risky due to splinters and lung punctures. See a doc before you play.

One drawback here is that cracked ribs can be confirmed with an x-ray only if they show up. Not all cracks show up on x-rays though.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 10-03-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:30 AM
GenerationalTalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Is the pain severe? Did you see a doc and get it x-rayed? If the pain is severe you need to do this. If it's not severe, particularly when you take a deep breath, cough or do anything physical, they're probably not cracked. I'd still recommend seeing a doctor though. He can clear you to play or not.
I don't have bad pain when I take deep breaths but, I can feel tenderness. When I laugh or cough the pain is pretty bad. Laying down is is alright until I try to get up. I wouldn't say the pain is severe so, thats why i am leaning towards to it being bruised but, even with a bruised rib is it fine to play or not? I read a little saying bruises are worse because they take longer to heal.

The funny thing is I have most the symptoms of a bruise and some of a crack. So I am not sure what to do.

Old
10-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerationalTalent View Post
I don't have bad pain when I take deep breaths but, I can feel tenderness. When I laugh or cough the pain is pretty bad. Laying down is is alright until I try to get up. I wouldn't say the pain is severe so, thats why i am leaning towards to it being bruised but, even with a bruised rib is it fine to play or not? I read a little saying bruises are worse because they take longer to heal.

The funny thing is I have most the symptoms of a bruise and some of a crack. So I am not sure what to do.
Check my first post for some additions I made while editing.

Sounds like a crack or two to me.

The doctor would probably treat it as a crack and may even forgo x-rays because they're not always conclusive. On the other hand a significant crack that would preclude you from playing probably would show up so he may take that route. I'm not going to tell you if you can play or not. You need an examination and a doctor to do that. If you can afford to miss a few games and practices I might suggest that though if you don't get a professional medical opinion.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
GenerationalTalent

Alright thanks I think I will see a doctor tomorrow and get checked out.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Good job young man. And good luck with the hockey career.

Work on your skating and play every single shift like you're in game 7 Stanley Cup overtime and you'll go far. I learned that personally from Bobby Clarke when I was around your age.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 10-03-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old
10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
frito

Just remember it's better to miss a couple games than the rest of the season. By this I mean, if you do have cracked or broken ribs it's better to get them checked out now and follow the proper medical advice given by your doctor than to try to play through it and possibly getting a more serious injury that could end your entire season. Good luck.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Unaffiliated

When I cracked a couple ribs in rugby it hurt like HELL every time I coughed or sneezed.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote