HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

A really simple one. Preseason Game #1. Canes vs Panthers

Old
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Pure **** tonight... only preseason, but every player but POS might need to feel embarrassed...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
blow jOBAMA*

I'd like to O'Sullivan play with the likes of Staal or Jokinen, instead of Dwyer and Kostopolous.
But i know its only pre-season.

blow jOBAMA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:52 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
The Hurricanes could select a random AHLer for each game this season and get better quality play than they will get from Jay Harrison. He does nothing well and everything poorly. He is a poor man's Josef Melichar. How is it possible that Jay Harrison has a one-way deal and Patrick O'Sullivan does not? O'Sullivan sucking miserably in Edmonton last season is still more than Harrison has ever accomplished. I'll post more thoughts on the game later, but I needed to trash Harrison in the meantime.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

The only question is... Is Harrison the worst player with a one-way contract in the NHL? I think yes

Old
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
The only question is... Is Harrison the worst player with a one-way contract in the NHL? I think yes
Erik Cole

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Erik Cole
Touche, another solid candidate... But the only reason Harrison is worse is because Cole was good at one time and Harrison has never been anything but a *******

Old
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
He is a poor man's Josef Melichar.
This bit made me laugh, then it made me very, very sad. We can only hope that someone is stupid enough to pick him up when he's waived in November.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Jay Harrison can be very helpful.

If coaches and management are smart, Jay Harrison can single handedly deliver us first overall pick next June, which I've heard is going to be a good one.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post

If coaches and management are smart, Jay Harrison can single handedly deliver us first overall pick next June, which I've heard is going to be a good one.
Yeah, Adam Larsson is going to be a stud. But being that he's a defenseman we'll take Sean Couturier... wait, no, he's from Quebec. Victor Rask... wait, no, he's a Euro. Ok, we'll take Seth Ambroz or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:32 PM
karparules

Yeah, not a great game tonight. I'm really surprised that no one else mentioned the play of Dalpe. O'Sullivan looked very good, but I thought Dalpe was at least as good. Pat Dwyer also played a very strong, if unspectacular, game. Most of the rest of the youngsters had the typical look of guys who want to make an impression, but are thinking too much instead of just playing their games. Babchuk did look better (he didn't fall down at all that I noticed) and his goal made up for his horrible play on the 2nd Florida goal. Surprisingly, McBain looked completely lost to me. I didn't really see Harrison do anything as bad as others apparently saw. He could at least use his size to push guys from the front of the net. I'm not saying he was a star or anything, but he was hardly the travesty that some have made him out to be.
That big bast@rd, Gudbranson (no idea), #44 on the Panthers was really impressive. The Panthers really got themselves a player there!

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Gonna have to go with Derek Boogaard on this one. Makes $1.65 mil per yr, too.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:56 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post

The 2011 draft is actually supposed to be pretty weak, so tanking this year might not be as fruitful as it has been for some teams in the past. There are several good players but I don't really see any potential franchise players except for maybe Couturier and Larsson. I don't think we'll be so bad as to be in the running for one of the top 2 picks though.

It's still way too early at this point to write anybody off. The guys just started getting into hockey game condition two weeks ago or so, less than that for some guys. It's going to take some time for them get into a rhythm, develop some chemistry and to get all the team's systems in place.

Not to mention, the line combos and D-pairings seemed pretty crappy to me. What in the world is Skinner doing on a line with other midgets with hands of stone when he is a midget himself? I guess they wanted him to get his nose dirty right away, because as pesky as LaRose and Dwyer can be, they don't create space for anyone and they certainly aren't very offensive minded.

Even with Gleason, McBain and Babchuk, the D corpswas cringe-worthy and would probably only be above average at the AHL level with Jay "ECHL" Harrison and Bobby "I'm allergic to hitting and defensive responsibilites" Sanguinetti. Borer is a borderline AAAA journeyman defenseman. Getting Pitkanen, Corvo and Carson back in place of those three will make it seem like going from a room at a Hotel 6 to the Taj Mahal.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:00 PM
HullToSelanne

Dang... reported attendance of 5839 o_o

I know it's a preseason game, but that arena was BARELY 1/4 full...

HullToSelanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HullToSelanne View Post

....so?

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:09 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HullToSelanne View Post

There's a Business of Hockey forum on this site that you can go over to to spout this crap we don't care about. You will even have several like minded posters that share your same thinly veiled agenda.

We get it, Canadians with nothing else to do, especially in the prairie provinces, would have sold out a preseason game 10 times over capacity if they could.. and that's why the Canes should move to Winnipeg.

Also you might want to check your math. "Barely 1/4 full" with an attendance of ~6k implies that the RBC Center has around ~24k seats. The RBC Center seats ~18k for hockey, so it was more like 1/3 full, on a school night, in Raleigh where the weather outside is still quite comfortable for outdoor activities.

Old
09-21-2010, 11:23 PM
blow jOBAMA*

Jay Harrison -2

Old
09-21-2010, 11:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywatcher View Post
Jay Harrison -2
only? surprised it wasn't a -3.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:32 PM
blow jOBAMA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
only? surprised it wasn't a -3.
How does he get a one-way contract?

Old
09-21-2010, 11:35 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

You guys are focusing way too much on Harrison's contract. Did you all forget Conboy was on a 1 way contract last year too? Look at how that worked out for him. There's no way in hell Harrison ever gets a regular spot in the top 6. If he does, it will only be for a few games until even JR wants to gauge out his own eyes from having to watch him play, and then another guy will be called up and Harrison will be waived/sent to Charlotte. If we go on another 10+ game losing streak, he might actually stay then too.. to help with the tank and all.

Last edited by vwg*: 09-22-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old
09-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywatcher View Post
How does he get a one-way contract?
Are you worried that they'll lose him via waivers when he inevitably gets sent to Charlotte?

Hate on Jay Harrison because he's an awful bottom pairing defenseman most of the time. Don't hate on Jay Harrison because he got a one-way deal for 500k.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:39 AM
bleedgreen

Guy is making league minimum for a short term, I don't see the fuss. He's depth. Why doesn't anyone ***** about Sammy the way they do about Harrison?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Anyone here think Boychuk may be headed back to the A? He just doesn't seem to have it

Old
09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Also you might want to check your math. "Barely 1/4 full" with an attendance of ~6k implies that the RBC Center has around ~24k seats. The RBC Center seats ~18k for hockey, so it was more like 1/3 full, on a school night, in Raleigh where the weather outside is still quite comfortable for outdoor activities.
And, um, it's a preseason game... against the Panthers...

I'm a hardcore fan and all, but I ain't dropping $50 on tickets to that crap.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountJ View Post
Are you worried that they'll lose him via waivers when he inevitably gets sent to Charlotte?

Hate on Jay Harrison because he's an awful bottom pairing defenseman most of the time. Don't hate on Jay Harrison because he got a one-way deal for 500k.
This is a team on a shoestring budget, and signing Harrison to a 1-way deal throws around $400K down the drain if he can't make the team and spends the season in Charlotte.

I think he's most likely the #7 defenseman and occasional punching bag on this team. Better to put Harrison in the press box than a young player who can develop in Charlotte. But that doesn't mean the 1-way deal made sense.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:00 AM
geehaad

I'm confused...in the first, I coulda sworn that either Gleason or Babchuk tried to go D-to-D in the Panther zone from the right point (bench side) across the blueline, only to have someone pick it off and go 120 feet for a goal. I thought it was the third goal, but I'm having trouble reconciling it with the game sheets. Did that not happen?

After one game, Skinner gets a No Go vote from me...we'll see if that changes.

To the person who questioned Patrick O'Sullivan as being worthy to play with Staal: yeah...he's worthy. Let's hope he can do something with the opportunity.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote