HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A really simple one. Preseason Game #1. Canes vs Panthers

Old
09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HullToSelanne View Post
Dang... reported attendance of 5839 o_o

I know it's a preseason game, but that arena was BARELY 1/4 full...
Dang...reported weather in Winnepeg is 54 and Rainy. I know it's September, but it's SUNNY AND 90 in Raleigh.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1028
It was just wonderful to take in a hockey game again after a very long summer. The thing that worries me the most was Cam Ward. I listened to JF on 99.9 on the way to the game, and he feels like for the Hurricanes to make the playoffs, Ward has to be in the mix for the Vezina. His play last night was far from that. Letting in goals back to back that fast completely deflates the team and we might as well forfeit and go home.

POS was impressive. Although he only got the one assist, he made different plays that could have easily resulted in goals. He had one very slick pass on the power play that should have been in the net. I can't help but believe if he gets some time with Staal they will make things happen.

Dalpe was by far the best center out there. I thought Skinner looked lost. Signing a big $$$ contract several hours before the game could easily have had something to do with that. I also thought McBain looked a bit lost at times. He would make some good plays followed by some moronic plays. None of our points on the power play could keep the puck in the zone.

I'm glad we have more than 4 pre-season games this year because we are going to need them. Not only do we not know what kids will be playing here, we also don't know any of our lines. The sooner we can get at least the top 2 set and practicing together, the better off we are...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
caniac247

Tweeted by Chip

Quote:
Word is O'Sullivan, Dalpe, Bowman, Sanguinetti all helped themselves in preseason opener. Some others disappointed
O'Sullivan and Dalpe agreed. I didn't really notice Bowman or Sanguinetti, but guess that could be good as in they didn't do anything to bad for me to notice.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
blow jOBAMA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Tweeted by Chip

O'Sullivan and Dalpe agreed. I didn't really notice Bowman or Sanguinetti, but guess that could be good as in they didn't do anything to bad for me to notice.
Agreed

blow jOBAMA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Dalpe was 6 for 8 in the faceoff circle (75%). Solid. Not sure who he faced, but if it's of any indication the kid can win draws that'll help get a leg up for the 3rd line center slot.

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-22-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Dalpe was 6 for 8 in the faceoff circle (78%). Solid. Not sure who he faced, but if it's of any indication the kid can win draws that'll help get a leg up for the 3rd line center slot.
I too was pleasantly suprised by Dalpe's face off work. Especially considering he didnt take many faceoffs in 2 years at OSU

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:08 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
Dang...reported weather in Winnepeg is 54 and Rainy. I know it's September, but it's SUNNY AND 90 in Raleigh.
Yup. God forbid I go out for a run instead of droppinig buckazoids on a meaningless preseason game with the Ima Getchu Cats mostly featuring guys who'll be playing for the Checkers.

At any rate, so far I don't think anybody's touched on Pogge...how'd he look when he minded the nets? Same for Ruutu - how did he look overall?

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Yup. God forbid I go out for a run instead of droppinig buckazoids on a meaningless preseason game with the Ima Getchu Cats mostly featuring guys who'll be playing for the Checkers.

At any rate, so far I don't think anybody's touched on Pogge...how'd he look when he minded the nets? Same for Ruutu - how did he look overall?
Can't comment on Pogge, but in Chips article regarding the game he said Ruutu had a hard time getting his feet moving. Apparently many did and they're booking it on the up-temp beginning to camp tiring some, or most, of these guys out off the get-go.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
From my observations, I didn't think Ruutu looked that great. He was fairly unnoticeable and ok, but not much of a difference maker. On 99.9 after the game he talked about the poor start affecting the entire game. Said that the starts have to be better for the success of the team.

I don't know if anyone can really give much of an assessment on Pogge. Florida managed all of 2 shots on goal in the 3rd period and 9 in the 2nd. Since Pogge only started playing with 8 minutes left in the 2nd, he didn't really get that many looks. He looks like he likes to play the puck tho. On one of our power plays he skated out of his crease and immediately iced it. Not sure about that, but I will be interested in seeing more of him...

Old
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
geehaad

Anybody else notice the spectator whose nose was broken by the puck that came into the stands just outside the visiting penalty box?

Unlucky...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think Dalpe makes the roster and Nash centers the Samson line in Char

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Can't comment on Pogge, but in Chips article regarding the game he said Ruutu had a hard time getting his feet moving. Apparently many did and they're booking it on the up-temp beginning to camp tiring some, or most, of these guys out off the get-go.
Also, Maurice said that he uses LaRose as his barometer to see how the legs are and LaRose told him after the 1st that the legs were hard to get moving. So Maurice said if LaRose had a hard time, then everyone did.

I'd say with the grind of practices that they have had the last 4 days, plus playing in their first 'official' game since April, its not surprising they were sluggish.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Anybody else notice the spectator whose nose was broken by the puck that came into the stands just outside the visiting penalty box?

Unlucky...
Time to put nets around the whole rink

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Guy

I realize it's preseason game 1, but the "in-game" junk seemed to reach an all-time new low. Ron the Ref is awful enough by himself, he doesn't need a hot blonde to make things worse and drag on longer. I really hope that was just a test run and she's not really going to be the "in-game hostess" like they advertised her on the jumbotron. I'm all for her replacing Ron the Ref, but adding her in addition to Ron just makes it even worse.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
I realize it's preseason game 1, but the "in-game" junk seemed to reach an all-time new low. Ron the Ref is awful enough by himself, he doesn't need a hot blonde to make things worse and drag on longer. I really hope that was just a test run and she's not really going to be the "in-game hostess" like they advertised her on the jumbotron. I'm all for her replacing Ron the Ref, but adding her in addition to Ron just makes it even worse.
My buddy and I were confused why Ron the Ref and a Princess were on the ice as well. I agree with you completely that it added absolutely nothing...

Old
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
geehaad

Quote:
I'm all for her replacing Ron the Ref
You'd think it'd be my eyes that would be most appreciative of the change, but no...it was my eardrums that were most thankful.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Also, Maurice said that he uses LaRose as his barometer to see how the legs are ...
Now that just fits, doesn't it?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:53 PM
AD Skinner

Quote:
I agree with everything you said. In addition, I continue to be irritated by that 'woo-hoo!' noise that gets played every 20 seconds. After a goal would be a perfectly acceptable time to play it. Before, during and after every stoppage is not.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:40 AM
dukie01

Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
Yeah, not a great game tonight. I'm really surprised that no one else mentioned the play of Dalpe. O'Sullivan looked very good, but I thought Dalpe was at least as good. Pat Dwyer also played a very strong, if unspectacular, game. Most of the rest of the youngsters had the typical look of guys who want to make an impression, but are thinking too much instead of just playing their games. Babchuk did look better (he didn't fall down at all that I noticed) and his goal made up for his horrible play on the 2nd Florida goal. Surprisingly, McBain looked completely lost to me. I didn't really see Harrison do anything as bad as others apparently saw. He could at least use his size to push guys from the front of the net. I'm not saying he was a star or anything, but he was hardly the travesty that some have made him out to be.
That big bast@rd, Gudbranson (no idea), #44 on the Panthers was really impressive. The Panthers really got themselves a player there!
I was at the game, and this is the best summary so far. Dalpe looked really calm with the puck and did a bit of crashing, especially in the first. McBain and Babchuk both had serious mental lapses with the puck, including one where it took Anton 3 tries to move the puck out of an empty zone. As Maurice acknowledged after the game, the young guys were all pretty nervous. Lots of overskating the puck and hesitating before having a stick lifted or tied up. A lot of this is lack of communication/understanding with a bunch of new teammates, but they're allowed to be sloppy at this point (especially if they're all gassed from camp). There were a lot of rebound chances where we just got muscled out of the crease or stuffed it back into the goalie's pads. Shots outside there seemed to all be at the goalie's crest. They did a good job of sustaining pressure once they had actually established possession in the zone...which was a challenge with the sloppy transition game.

Gudbranson played remarkably well. He had a real presence on the ice, a la Pronger, and did some great work winning the puck along the boards. He'll be a beast to play against.

dukie01 is offline   Reply With Quote